• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [February] Now Voting - Post 808!

7-8 hours is actually on the longish side for a $15 game. I have no idea why people would complain about it.
Yeah I agree

--
Some GIFs for that game The Last Disbeliever
tumblr_n0kmtnkDIB1si4jeeo1_400.gif
tumblr_n0kmtnkDIB1si4jeeo4_400.gif

tumblr_n0kmtnkDIB1si4jeeo2_400.gif
tumblr_n0kmtnkDIB1si4jeeo5_400.gif

daydream

Banned
7-8 hours is actually on the longish side for a $15 game. I have no idea why people would complain about it.

Haven't you heard, nowadays, everything that's not a big release, should be priced at $5. Then it is worthy of catching dust in your Steam library.

Get with the times, man.

It's an IOS game so it won't be in the OP, but I enjoyed the first game and am very impressed by how well the developers have improved the visuals for the sequel
The first was a fun Metroidvania shooter kind of game, where the handdrawn art give it a nice charm

I'm surprised that this game hasn't been posted about in any threads yet

NeonXSZ - $9.99/Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux
Nov29th2013_002.jpg

http://www.neonxsz.com/

NeonXSZ is a homage to the 6DoF genre of FPS games like Descent combined with the frenetic adrenaline pumping feel and gameplay mechanics of old-school twitch shooters such as id software's Quake. Then add Diablo-like loot explosions, rpg elements, leveling up, procedurally generated environments and enemies. Finish it all off with truly open-world gameplay inside a micro ecosystem of up to one thousand unique little AI dudes buzzing around getting into fights and doing their own thing.
2FItwJB.gif

Trying to think a good name for the Olympia Rising thread, that would attract people

So far my current title is
Olympia Rising | Explore, fight, chain jump through the Underworld, on KS
Any suggestions?

Also I expect about 37% of posts to say something in the vein of "I'm tired of retro pixel graphics, etc., etc."

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Trying to think a good name for the Olympia Rising thread, that would attract people

So far my current title is
Olympia Rising | Explore, fight, chain jump through the Underworld, on KS
Any suggestions?

Also I expect about 37% of posts to say something in the vein of "I'm tired of retro pixel graphics, etc., etc."

Yeah of course, but any bump is a good bump and gives us leeway to countercomment with questions asking why.

I would probably try being a bit more dramatic in the title:
Olympia Rising | Chain jump through the Underworld, on KS life support

Wiretap New Jersey - Alpha soon
5tmkxV7.png

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38406.0

You play as Patrick, a character that is respected and viewed as a hero by his friends and community (due to his previous accomplishments), but there is a problem with him - the job that he currently has (working as an intelligence officer for the false-flag Wiretap New Jersey operation) is anything but positive.

Roche Fusion - Free alpha (PC, Mac, Linux)
directlink_Bf-FH2VCEAAFrJs.png%3Alarge.png

http://rochefusion.com/

Roche Fusion is a fast paced, exploding, over the top shoot-em-up. The player fights ever more aggressive, deadly, and crazy waves of enemies while upgrading their ship with more weapons, shields and other items. Also: explosions.

SLaVE - ????

The ARC - ????

Previously Mentioned

Levity

Let's Go Camping

Project Elite

On the Strider discussion on Steam, there's a discussion going on about length and price. Since it's $15 and the campaign is reportedly 7-8 hours long

My response

What do you guys think?

Quality of the content being provided is king for me. More is not always better.

But for what appears to be an actual metroidvania (emphasis on pathfinding and different routes), I'd usually expect a 6-12 hour length. If it's shorter then that, it all goes back to my first rule.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Zenzizenzic

Good game, probably among the better shmups I've played recently, but I am not really feeling the upgrade system. There are only 3 levels and you are basically on the highest shot power 20-30 seconds after a level started. The biggest challenge are definitely the bullet hell-y areas and its cool that they put in some bigger enemies within a level that differentiate themselves a lot from the normal ones, which means you need to adapt your playstyle, but... I am not feeling it. You can also upgrade your weapon arsenal by buying /unlocking weapons for score points, same with new levels.

I am not sure how I like that system though, as it means that you'll need to replay levels eventually, even if you already played them almost perfectly, just to get points to unlock more weapons to equip or levels to unlock. It seems a bit like needless grinding, although that might play out differently in the full version, but I think thats what they are shooting for here, as the game seems to only cover 5 levels.

But still, nice graphics, good controls, interesting enemy designs etc. Its a good game, just not something I'll remember in 2 months.

NeonXSZ and The Last Disbeliever look sick, thanks More_Badass!

Descent was from Volition, right? Was there a kind of tribute level in Saint's Row 4?

Exist - 2014 (PC, Mac)
directlink_Bf-hjIcCAAAk9AC.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.existgame.com/

A first-person horror-adventure based on themes of existentialism and societal negativity that takes place in a surreal nightmare where the fears of your character and the world around us intertwine into an eerie atmosphere of unsettling truths.

Kodama - PC, IOS, Android, Windows Phone
directlink_Bf-f5KnCEAMufnR.png%3Alarge.png

https://twitter.com/FlatfishGames

Kodama is a graphic adventure that throws you in to the fallen kingdom of abylon, long lost in thorns.It's a new kind of precision platformer game, with hundreds of levels and level building tools included. The gates to the endless realms of abylon will open this summer.
Trailer

Previously Mentioned

Eidolon

So I played The Rapture Is Here And You Will Be Forcibly Removed From Your Home and I'm sure this game will be the more divisive one on this month thread. You have 20 minutes to wander around while reaching beacons of light that plays pieces of H.P. Lovecraft. One thing that The Rapture Is Here And You Will Be Forcibly Removed From Your Home does really well is nailing the atmosphere, you feel alone in the field and your only companion is that thing in the sky that keeps following you whenever you go, the music contributes a lot to the experience and when you look to the flying thing the sounds change.

Recommended for people who like more experimental games.

I also played From Hells Heart and surprisingly I didn't enjoy it, it's sad because watching Messofanego gifs got me hyped a lot to play it but in the end I didn't like it. D:

Modulate - Late 2014 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ibe3770wMnJ4Ch.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=199743507

Modulate is a first person puzzle game in which you solve rooms by switching objects in and out of your reality. You take the role of a young cadet being trained to become an agent in the Interspace Police Force (IPF). The device you're trained to use is called the Space Attenuator Mark V. This device allows navigation between spatial dimensions, which we call "channels", that each contain their own obstacle devices.

Arcadecraft - PC
directlink_Bf_N4ZdCAAAhOtx.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://firebase.ca/arcadecraft/

Arcadecraft is a realtime strategy Arcade economics simulator. Starting in January of 1980 the player is given the task to run a sustainable arcade. To accomplish this goal they have to purchase arcade games from the various fictional manufacturers and place them within their retail space so that they can earn money. The more money the machines make, the more games you can buy!

MoonRun - Free (Browser)
directlink_Bf-6HftCQAEviey.png%3Alarge.png

http://moonrungame.com/

You start each mission with three barrels (lives). Don't let any enemies get across to the other side or you will be penalized. If three gets across you will fail the mission and gain no rewards!

Abatron - ????
directlink_Bf_PbGbCIAA86OM.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.abatrongame.com/

It's an RTS meets FPS game. You can create and command large armies in battle, build defenses, and then jump into any unit to play FPS at any time for added strategy.

ADR1FT - ????
directlink_Bf_QCF5CIAIgeI3.png%3Alarge.png

https://twitter.com/ThreeOneZero_

Adr1ft is a non-violent first-person game that poses the player as an astronaut who begins the game floating above Earth amid the debris of a mostly-wrecked space station. Adr1ft is meant to be a quiet and lovely game with exploration and puzzles, a combination of the acclaimed immersive first-person shooter Half-Life, the beloved surreal nature-walk of Journey and the movie Gravity

Previously Mentioned

Spirits of Xanadu

Malebolgia

inkls

Abatron's description makes me think of battalion wars for the wii, was a fun game, gonna follow it.

Also can't for more news on Kel, looks intriguing.

Toma

Void Destroyer

Played it for about an hour, and I am rather torn what to say about it because my current play experience probably doesnt reflect the game very well. Its basically a mix of a space RTS in which you build gather resources, build bases and ships and attack enemies to defend yourself. There are like a million options for actually commanding/navigating the ships and this is NOT a game you'll only play with the mouse. Prepare yourself to use half of your keyboard for controlling your ships and if you are allergic to "learning" how to play a game, you probably dont need to try it. Thankfully the game does a good job of reminding you of the proper key shortcuts when tasking you with something, but the game has a shitload of options for the armchair general, which starts with 5 or 6 different flight modes. One example for those is a mode that allows for individual control of a single turret on a ship (or controlling turrets in groups), not to mention you'll eventually control a few dozen ships which need a different kind of attention... so yeah, options galore.

Other than navigating the ships, you also need to buy them and build up your base, and while this all works rather flawlessly once you figure out HOW to do things, I didnt like the actual fighting all that much so far. The AI seems a bit stupid, the targetting is a bit too easy, you die way too fast, etc

The problem here is that I am SURE that I havent learned enough about the intricacies of these systems yet to actually judge that, together with not enough progress outside of the tutorials and that I probably shouldnt play it like a space shooter (and more like an RTS). Among all the Indie Space combat games, its probably the most interesting one I've played since we started this thread series, also because it actually has content and isnt just a big sandbox. The current version of the game even throws you into a story campaign.

Its a bit more expensive than most games at 13€, but I think its fair priced if this kind of game is what you are looking for and you want a new shiny toy to dig your nails in. Its really, really cool to see what they build here,especially because it doesnt feel like an arcade space fighter, and most of my issues are probably because I havent played the game properly yet, so take any of these with a grain of salt. The only part that is really unfortunate so far, is that its not a space EXPLORATION game, you wont fly around discovering and protecting new stars. Its basically about your spot in space that you are defending, as far as I gathered.

But yeah, if RTS + Space Fighter sounds like an interesting combination to you, I cant think of many reasons not to check it out.

Edit, Obvious comment: Very cool artstyle.
Edit 2, Not so obvious comment: Was surprised to see its only 100mb

BloodLust - Free Demo (PC)
hnxUmKE.jpg

http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/bloodlust/index.htm

Indie Vampire RPG with dynamic Inventory, stats and skills. Gameplay apparently provides infinite replay through randomized dungeons. Summon bats, leeches and spiders to do your dirty work and build your bloodline from a fledgling into a powerful vampire. During your journey you will find and use hundreds of weapons and items.

I am impressed with this one. I loved Bloodlines, and while this is much different game. It's nice to see some more vampire rpgs being made. I tried the demo and its basically made by 1 guy (7 people total if you count the modelers, Composer, and VA's). I will probably be buying this once the full version is out. The combat unfortunately reminds me of the Bloodlines combat, but eh I'll give it a shot. It definitely has my interest.

Toma

I am impressed with this one. I loved Bloodlines, and while this is much different game. It's nice to see some more vampire rpgs being made. I tried the demo and its basically made by 1 guy (7 people total if you count the modelers, Composer, and VA's). I will probably be buying this once the full version is out. The combat unfortunately reminds me of the Bloodlines combat, but eh I'll give it a shot. It definitely has my interest.
Yep, after the starting area, the game has random dungeons apparently and I haven't tried those yet.Will get back to the game once I tried the other interesting op games.

If anyone was interested in How To Survive, the game is currently $3.74 on Steam

---
Now this game is right up my alley

Project Stealth - ????
spy_teamwork_grab1.png

http://www.projectstealthgame.com/

Stealth-Action Multplayer is back! Project Stealth is here to breathe new life into the much overlooked genre. Project Stealth is a multiplayer stealth-action thriller with two teams of two, with a focus on strategic gameplay, heart-pounding intensity, and close teamwork to overcome adversity

Garcia

This got some really good impressions from IndieStatik. It sounds like the best kind of horror, subtle creeping tension through atmosphere and tone rather than jump scares. Said to only be about an hour long.

Serena - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)

Tried playing it a couple of weeks ago but the pixel-hunt + boring/intrusive voice acting combo made me bail out. May give it another try later since it's a very short game.

Toma

Ultimate Space Commando 10€ for the Beta

The game is apparently actively in development since 2011 with previous unreleased prototypes going back as far as 2004. And it shows. In contrast to games like Steam Marines, the gameplay of this squad turn-based tactics games is very well thought out with plenty of interesting possibilities and dangers to account for. Just based on pure gameplay, its probably among the best indie efforts I have played in that genre, which is rather high praise. However, I should also mention here that the game is in Beta and currently missing any sort of progress content, meaning there are no interesting scenarios or campaign missions yet. So lets get into the specifics of what this game offers, what its missing and why you should or shouldnt get it.

The game currently has 2 modes and a focus on highscore gaming over progression. I havent played Defend your Base much, but it basically allows you to build a base setup which you need to defend against countless hordes of enemies. This struck me as way less interesting than the normal mode, because the exploration aspect is one of the biggest strengths of the single missions. However I only tried it shortly, so I wont go into much detail about that. If you start single missions, you get this screen:

You probably wont appreciate this if you want a quick and dirty play session, because it does require some preparation time. This is also the reason why the game doesnt have a decent mass appeal yet. The game actually does a magnificent job at making the game very intuitive. You dont have a lot of inventory management, even though you might have plenty of options/weapons at your disposal (more to that later) and most of the game elements are self-explanatory if you played similar games. But throwing someone into a screen that basically tasks you to fully equip an endgame squad is not very newcomer friendly. If you dont like this kind of full control over a single mission and tinkering around with equipment setups, you should probably ignore this game until it at least offers some proper scenarios or the actual campaign. Even a stacked single Mission structure could help here (3 random levels with increasing difficulty and more money to buy equipment), but as it stands, you have full control over the unit setup. The game basically asks you to distribute skill points and buy equipment for your 4 squad members. This took me ~20 minutes on my first try because there are quite a few options to consider here, starting from deciding between several heavy and small guns or melee weapons and going as far as deciding between different ammunition types that differentiate with acid, explosive or armor piercing characteristics.

Once you finally started the single mission, the player sees the actual game. And if you dont know what you are doing, the game can incredibly deadly. Getting trapped between enemies, getting radiated, standing on explosive fluids, friendly fire and elite Monsters that you shouldnt meet unprepared. The normal difficulty is certainly doable if you know you way around the genre, but there are 4 more difficulties above that, so you shouldnt have issues finding a challenge here. The levels are randomly created and have several options to make the map creation or goals more varied and interesting, such as different main objectives (survive, kill all, find xyz, reach exit), secondary objectives, thicker or thinner walls, special monsters and more. The random creation itself is also rather well made because it creates rooms of special interest (secured rooms with equipment or wide open rooms with many monsters) and actually makes the level layout seem diverse.
I also really like the enemy types, which have normal, strong and boss variants and are exponentially more dangerous. I think the full game eventually needs probably way more different enemy types to not feel repetitive, but for the single missions its enough for now. The actual gameplay also deserves another shoutout because even despite quite deep possibilities, the game is still rather easily playable because of the icons on the upper part of the screen which always shows the actions your currently selected unit can do, based on its equipment and inventory. This may sound like a small thing, but its an amazing idea because it gets rid of tedious inventory management/clicking/sorting. Really weird I havent seen this in other games yet.

These single missions offer replayability by being rated with a highscore. Apparently there are also online ladders/leaderboards but they might not be active atm or I didnt figure out how to activate them. By offering different setups/difficulties and goals, USC currently offers a lot to tinker around with if you are fine with challenging yourself to single missions, because the gameplay itself is VERY well thought out. Not having any actual content like the campaign and scenario does probably hurt it for quite a few people, though, which means the current version is only for a very specific group of gamers, and those gamers probably love it. I do. I really, really like it, but I will probably stop playing around with the single missions once I tried higher difficulties and the other objectives, because I'd also like something to actually play for. Progress in the campaign, ala Jagged Alliance or Fallout Tactics? Crafted Scenario challenges that you can 5 star? I'll be back with this game day 1 once these are in.

In any case:
Definitely a good purchase for me and recommended because of the refined gameplay, but the current content of the game (only random, single missions) is not for everyone.

Toma

XenoRaptor

I wont post too much about it, because I didnt play it for a long time, but I am not too fond of the rather monotonous waves, even though I think the impulse based evasion is rather interesting in itself. It doesnt seem like the levels actually offer different challenges and so it also doesnt feel like the game has much interesting content.

A big part of me being let down however, is not being able to figure out how that "build your own" weapon thing is working. I noticed that I unlocked a weapon part to use, but didnt find a menu to actually use it? My patience was a bit on a short fuse just now, but I'd appreciate someone telling me how that is actually supposed to work and I'll try it again.

XenoRaptor

I wont post too much about it, because I didnt play it for a long time, but I am not too fond of the rather monotonous waves, even though I think the impulse based evasion is rather interesting in itself. It doesnt seem like the levels actually offer different challenges and so it also doesnt feel like the game has much interesting content.

A big part of me being let down however, is not being able to figure out how that "build your own" weapon thing is working. I noticed that I unlocked a weapon part to use, but didnt find a menu to actually use it? My patience was a bit on a short fuse just now, but I'd appreciate someone telling me how that is actually supposed to work and I'll try it again.
Well, it's still in beta and the developer said he first wanted to make the maps before adding a structured campaign. So stuff like no-damage challenges, stats, more structure and overall focus is coming, as well as more map types with different hazards. Currently later levels have mine fields, meteors flying through the map, etc.

To customize your weapons, you go to Hangar, select the weapon, and then you select options like the barrel type and bullet (chaingun), the accelerator/warhead (railgun), fuel (sprayer). Those options are at the bottom of the screen. Also if you click on the dragon itself, you can change the engine type, the hull, the head, and color scheme

Personally I really like the evasion heavy twitchy shmup gameplay so I don't find it monotonous, even replaying the levels over, but the highlight is the depth of weaponry and how it changes your playstyle. Wielding the default chaingun/railgun and the dodging thrusters plays completely differently than using a lightning shotgun, laser tractor beam and teleport engine

Toma

Where/how can you use/access the hangar?

So I played the Crimsonland trial for about twenty minutes, and it didn't really grab me. Maybe because it felt very much like many other top down shooters I've played. The perks and weapons are cool, but I prefer the hyperactive visuals and speed of games like XenoRaptor and Assault Android Cactus. Also XenoRaptor does some cool things that add to the gameplay, such as enemies being able to damage each other (so you can dodge at the right moment and have a bunch of enemies wipe themselves out in a collision or lure enemies into a crossfire) and being able to manipulate the environment by moving/dragging asteroids and mines around.

Toma

So I played the Crimsonland trial for about twenty minutes, and it didn't really grab me. Maybe because it felt very much like many other top down shooters I've played. The perks and weapons are cool, but I prefer the hyperactive visuals and speed of games like XenoRaptor and Assault Android Cactus. Also XenoRaptor does some cool things that add to the gameplay, such as enemies being able to damage each other (so you can dodge at the right moment and have a bunch of enemies wipe themselves out in a collision or lure enemies into a crossfire) and being able to manipulate the environment by moving/dragging asteroids and mines around.

Crimsonland is ancient, pretty much the ancestor of all those games so it may seem a bit rote nowadays.

The Last Federation is supposed to come out this month so it might be worth listing now.

The powerups, combinations and challenge of that game is still unmatched in my opinion. Assault Android and Xeno Raptors both dont even seem close to delivering the diversity that the Crimsonland levels had with the different starting setups. The hardest difficulty usually upped those as well.

And as I said, the progress of unlocking more skills/powerups in Crimsonland was so damn on spot. You probably wont notice much of that in 20 minutes, but it just felt so good unlocking all of it for random play. The graphics might be a tad outdated by now, but I still absolutely love that game.

If there is any other game even remotely close to delivering those kind of upgrade/skill systems and diverse level setups (instead of just endless highscore gameplay), someone please let me know. Dead Nation (was that the name?) tried emulating the Crimsonland formula but failed horribly on content.

KDR_11k

Nation Red was the Crimsonland clone. It also failed HARD on perk balance with most perks being rather crap (most had tradeoffs but some didn't and sometimes those all-good perks even gave bigger boosts than the tradeoff ones) while a few others were "always take these" level of OP and the weapons weren't as interesting either.

Toma

Nation Red was the Crimsonland clone. It also failed HARD on perk balance with most perks being rather crap (most had tradeoffs but some didn't and sometimes those all-good perks even gave bigger boosts than the tradeoff ones) while a few others were "always take these" level of OP and the weapons weren't as interesting either.

Ah yeah, right. That was such a disappointment :(

I really want Crimsonland 2 damnit. Should probably just replay C1 again, havent replayed it int 2-3 years.

Must disagree with the negative opinion of Nation Red. It's a little rough graphics wise but I've had a ton of fun with that on solo and co-op. Awesome little top down zombie shooter.

KDR_11k

Must disagree with the negative opinion of Nation Red. It's a little rough graphics wise but I've had a ton of fun with that on solo and co-op. Awesome little top down zombie shooter.

Did you play Crimsonland? Nation Red is fun but it's really not as good as CL.

Toma

As the guy above me said, its a game that is about 25% as good as Crimsonland, but basically tried to be a carbon copy with new paint. If you liked Nation Red, you should basically fall deeply and irrevocably in love with Crimsonland, crowning it the best game of the past decade.

#hyperbolebutyouknowwhatimean

If you didnt play crimsonland before, trust us on this, buy the full version and report back in a week.

Did you play Crimsonland? Nation Red is fun but it's really not as good as CL.

Yes and no, I had a solid time with CL don't get me wrong but enjoy Nation Red much more. I prefer the claustrophobic smaller arenas of Nation Red and the large volume if random guns and power up drops.

Toma

Yes and no, I had a solid time with CL don't get me wrong but enjoy Nation Red much more. I prefer the claustrophobic smaller arenas of Nation Red and the large volume if random guns and power up drops.

I think its the first time that I am reading someone liking NR more, which is really surprising.

Void Destroyer sounds really great hearing that it's a bit more complex, thanks for the impressions Toma!

I don't know why I wasn't hyped for NaissanceE before, but HOLY SHIT. Dat Brutalism. Cold, trippy Kubrickian vibes! Fucking great trailers.

That's what I'm playing for valentine's.

Toma

Considering I am still playing the daily puzzles of Lyne (love it) to unlock the different skins:

Are there any other games that let you unlock plenty of skins? I loved that in Lumines as well, I should try a few more games that reward you with unlockable skins.

This is the most recently unlocked, and my favourite, skin of Lyne:

Void Destroyer sounds really great hearing that it's a bit more complex, thanks for the impressions Toma!

I don't know why I wasn't hyped for NaissanceE before, but HOLY SHIT. Dat Brutalism. Cold, trippy Kubrickian vibes! Fucking great trailers.

That's what I'm playing for valentine's.

You're welcome! And I should track down whoever was asking for impressions on Ultimate Space Commando and send him the link to my impressions.

Keasar

If anyone was interested in How To Survive, the game is currently $3.74 on Steam

---
Now this game is right up my alley

Project Stealth - ????

Holy~ This is still being made? I had given up hope on it years ago when I didn't hear any news about its development for a long time. Great to see that they are still making it!

Top Bottom