• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Buy the game, you piece of s**t,” indie dev applauded for dissing Steam Key beggars

20240412-29660-header-960x561.jpg

Giving away Steam Keys to influential YouTubers and streamers is a common form of marketing that indie developers employ to help get their games noticed. However, this practice has brought upon the curse of indie creators getting hounded for Steam Keys every time they release a game, often by people who can’t even offer exposure in exchange. In a recent Q&A post, Japanese indie developer Housenka bluntly rebuffed Steam Key beggars, to the satisfaction of the community.

Housenka is a member of the indie studio Denneko Yuugi, which is currently producing the 3D action RPG Machina of the Planet Tree: Mugen Ourokaku. This is the third entry to their Machina of the Planet Tree series, and based on currently available images and videos, it boasts some stunning 3D graphics, paired with anime-style character designs.

Denneko Yuugi’s frequent teasing of the game’s attractive and high-quality characters on social media has generated a lot of interest towards the upcoming title among both Japanese and English-speaking users. However, it seems the popularity has also come with the price of unwanted inquiries.

In a now viral Q&A post (seen above), Housenka answers various questions from users in a sarcastic but light-hearted manner, such as “Will there be sex? – No, please make your way to DLsite.” and “Can you make the character’s butt and thighs thicker? – Just accept her for who she is.” But the last frequently asked question, “I’ll promote you, give me a Steam Key,” earned only a relentless “Buy it, you piece of sh*t.” from the developer. In a reply to a commenter, Housenka adds, “I think every person who has released a game on Steam wants to say the same thing.”

Even among indie developers, taking a “harsh” tone with customers is not such a common sight in Japanese spaces, so the studio’s official diss earned a lot shocked yet impressed reactions.
On another note, creators on overseas communities like Reddit warn fellow indie developers to be wary of requests for free Steam Keys, as a lot of them merely want to resell the received keys. Such scammers may also pretend to be influential content creators, so thorough fact-checking is crucial before accepting offers.

Denneko Yuugi’s Machina of the Planet Tree: Mugen Ourokaku is currently in development for the PC (Steam), with an Early Access release planned for this year. A demo is available on the studio’s official website.

Influencers are a cancer. There I said it.

Begging for freebies for " Exposure" is BS. Most of those beggars dont even have 50+ followers.
Good on the dev for calling them out.

Just by calling yourself an Influencer doesnt make you one.
Hell, I call myself King and yet here I am. Slaving away hoping for a day off.

SCB3

Begging for freebies for " Exposure" is BS. Most of those beggars dont even have 50+ followers.

I personally think that any streamer should have to BUY the game, they're profiting off it 100% all the time

Streamers that have no actually significant followership begging for freebies are stupid, but giving people that probably anyway have enough money free stuff for exposure wasn't invented by influencers. Despite regular people despising them getting stuff shoved up their ass for no "actual" work. Any partnership in sports with brand xyz is the same thing- "just" requires rare talent and putting in actual work. They do not even stop at giving it to you free but pay for exclusivity. Just imagine streamer xyz partners with a game and can't play anything else on stream for let's say an entire year. I guess free gaming chairs free headsets and whatnot come with such conditions.

The whole advertisement world is imho anyway just insane and pretty much moving around fantasy money but not as bad as banks and their actually entirely fake bubbles.

Last edited:
Streamers that have no actually significant followership begging for freebies are stupid, but giving people that probably anyway have enough money free stuff for exposure wasn't invented by influencers. Despite regular people despising them getting stuff shoved up their ass for no "actual" work. Any partnership in sports with brand xyz is the same thing- "just" requires rare talent and putting in actual work. They do not even stop at giving it to you free but pay for exclusivity. Just imagine streamer xyz partners with a game and can't play anything else on stream for let's say an entire year. I guess free gaming chairs free headsets and whatnot come with such conditions.

The whole advertisement world is imho anyway just insane and pretty much moving around fantasy money but not as bad as banks and their actually entirely fake bubbles.

Kermit GIF

Holammer

woman-having-headache-massaging-her-nose-rhgbgkb4x8a9dnw4.webp

why indie keep wanting to making rougelite?
Get off your fainting couch. They offer replayability which results in player retention/high engagement and more sales. It's a super popular genre and they can be made with a shoestring budget.
There's something there you clearly don't understand, which made Vampire Survivors clones a huge genre with 100s of imitations. Made it and Hades two of the best rated and top selling games for the past few years. Current indie darling Balatro is tearing up the track and you wonder why they make rogue-likes.

Guilty_AI

I think the tone is somewhat lost in translation here.
They really like her
LmpwZw

But for real, its just one of those genres that don't necessarily sell a lot but sell consistently. Similar to deckbuilders and Boomer Shooters.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Get off your fainting couch. They offer replayability which results in player retention/high engagement and more sales. It's a super popular genre and they can be made with a shoestring budget.
There's something there you clearly don't understand, which made Vampire Survivors clones a huge genre with 100s of imitations. Made it and Hades two of the best rated and top selling games for the past few years. Current indie darling Balatro is tearing up the track and you wonder why they make rogue-likes.
Hades & Vampire Survivors shine, but roguelike graveyards loom large. Genre alone isn't enough for success.

calistan

Like in every genre, you need talent to make good games, not everyday you get an hades, doing a rogielite isxnit a recipe for success if your game is not good.

Also, no genre is original anymore, they would not be more original if they were making a platform or an action game.
When I see a game described as roguelike/lite, I associate that with procedural generation of the levels and endless repetition. That's a big turn-off for me, I would rather somebody had hand-crafted it rather than relying on the RNG to create infinite variations of the same thing. I guess that's what I meant by 'original'.

Anyway, I might hit the dev up on the Twitter, see if he'll send me a key so I can check this one out.

Reading Indy posts are more fun than watching 'O' faced thumbnails, ads and smash that subscribe button, check out my patreon.

Kikorin

Lot of games should thanks Twitch streamers/Influencers for their success, like Fall Guys, Palword, Only Up, etc... So is right to decide to not send free copies to account with 50 followers, but you can't even say is worthless. It depends, you have to choose wisely. Sometime could even be useful to send your free code to someone with 1000 followers really into these kind of games (if you sell like 5 copies because of that is already worth the "investment").

Kataploom

Gold Member
Lot of games should thanks Twitch streamers/Influencers for their success, like Fall Guys, Palword, Only Up, etc... So is right to decide to not send free copies to account with 50 followers, but you can't even say is worthless. It depends, you have to choose wisely. Sometime could even be useful to send your free code to someone with 1000 followers really into these kind of games (if you sell like 5 copies because of that is already worth the "investment").
Problem is that many "youtubers" make a living by asking devs for free keys and instead of using them to review the games, they sell them on Eneba, CDKeys, etc., they have several accounts to ask devs for free keys so they can accumulate a bunch and sell them all, it's a pretty standard scam practice these days, that's how you get many of the cheap steam keys on those sites, and they're too many to filter out.

nush

Indies don't have a marketing department to filter all this stuff out. Ebeggars? *Suprisepikachu.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Short repetitive games where you suffer in the beginning and wreck things maybe after 20 upgrades. Once you've played one you've played them all. Sad really.

---------

Developer seems like they are going to attempt to develop probably something similar to Senran Kagura but it seems rather rough and a ways off. Probably an easy pass since the enemies you fight are just cutesy giant slimes. Yuck.

Doesn't seem all that interesting to me. Some guy tried a demo.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

But for real, its just one of those genres that don't necessarily sell a lot but sell consistently. Similar to deckbuilders and Boomer Shooters.

This. Roguelites aren't usually long, might take one or two weeks to finish and usually leaves you yearning for more so they strengthen their sales as a whole genre. Plus they are easy to pick up and play, just smash a button to attack, initial combos are usually press this button four times or this button five times or this button six times and you get a powerful attack.

Thanati

I’m with you 100%. They are a pox on everything.

The game is looking great, guy needs to have a steam page so I can wishlist that shit ASAP.
Don't worry, fam. I'm going to keep an eye on this one, and once they put up a Steam page, I'll make a thread about it (I usually do this with most interesting indie titles that catch my eye.)

Edit:

Last edited:
Top Bottom