• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Dev Days vids are up

YuShtink

Both Abrash's and Palmer's presentations were GREAT. God damn I am so excited for VR it's ridiculous. I've been obsessed with it since I heard about the rift and pre-ordered one immediately in January of last year. (Finally) Got my devkit in July, which I love. But I really never expected for this whole thing to gain so much momentum. Here we are one year later already talking about presence being obtained and Valve putting VR support into Steam. Oculus already has an exclusive, made-for-VR launch title in Eve Valkyrie that has garnered massive attention. They have an SDK that is in the hands of thousands of developers. Oculus has somehow struck a deal to use OLED screen technology for low persistence (thought impossible for CV1). It's truly remarkable how all of this is coming together so quickly. The first retail Oculus Rift looks like it will end up being SO much better than anyone could have though, even when the dev kits were first released 10 months ago. I've got goosebumps just thinking about it.

palmerharlemshake-o.gif

YuShtink

So two more years for consumer version :/ Lets hope the Oculus team releases a dev-kit 2 before that.

I wouldn't go that far. There is still a decent chance of it coming Fall 2014. It might slip into early 2015 but there's no reason to think it will be delayed all the way until the end of 2015 or early 2016. They are getting VERY close to the specs Abrash posted. I think at this point there are only 2 things that could cause a significant delay:

1) They decide to radically overhaul the positional tracking system again

2) The software line-up just isn't ready and solid enough for the intended launch

Oh, and regarding dev kit 2: It probably won't be released in the same nature as DK1. It will most likely be coming pretty close to retail release (within 2-3 months), and will only go to the more noteworthy developers that are actively working on launch retail games. I doubt everyone will be able to purchase a DK2 the same was as 1.

syko de4d

So two more years for consumer version :/ Lets hope the Oculus team releases a dev-kit 2 before that.

many things hint a 2014 release (but still could be 2015) and palmer said on reddit the consumer version will be as good or even better than valve´s VR. I think what really amazed people about Valve VR is that they could walk, but lets be real thats nothing you can do at home. You dont have the space and the stuff is still wired.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so charged with inspiration and enthusiasm after Abrash's talk on VR. Watching Pallmer Luckey's segment right now. Man, the next few years are going to be INSANE for the PC.

Top Bottom