• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Steam Deck OLED: A Stunning HDR Upgrade... But There's So Much More

Draugoth

Gold Member

Coming out of nowhere, Valve delivers a brand new Steam Deck, packing a 7.4-inch OLED HDR display with a 90Hz refresh rate. But that's just the headline bullet point on what is actually the most comprehensive 'mid-generation console refresh' we've ever seen. Improved battery life, cooler, lighter, improved haptics and audio, increased repairability - the new Steam Deck is simply brilliant.

00:00 Introduction: A Fantastic Product Across The Board
02:09 The Brand New Steam Deck Line-Up
03:44 The New 90Hz OLED HDR Display
04:43 Bigger Battery, More Efficient, Longer Game Time
07:18 Steam Deck OLED Performs Faster Than LCD
09:49 So Many Extra Enhancements12:00 Steam Deck's Software Continues To Evolve
14:21 Summary
15:56 And Now, The Conclusion

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
NICE! That's what deck needed. It's 90hz too and hdr!
Wish it was at least 1080p and 16:9 (hate 16:10) but it's ok. Original deck was really pixelated at 800p, so I think running 720p on a higher res screen would be better.
Anyway - looks great !!!

Now.... High quality games 60fps on lcd PS Portal or low quality, 30/40fps gaming on high qualiy screen deck.....

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
NICE! That's what deck needed. It's 90hz too and hdr!
Wish it was at least 1080p and 16:9 (hate 16:10) but it's ok. Original deck was really pixelated at 800p, so I think running 720p on a higher res screen would be better.
Anyway - looks great !!!

Now.... High quality games 60fps on lcd PS Portal or low quality, 30/40fps gaming on high qualiy screen deck.....
Native versus streaming is the real question

I got one at the start of the year, worried there would be an upgrade before long.

Honestly I've hardly played it at all since that first week. So can probably skip this despite how much I like having the shiny new thing.

Mowcno

I had great fun playing games like Skyrim and Rise of the Tomb Raider on my steam deck but I'd never consider buying a system like it now. It's to weak for current AAA titles and it's too bulky for me to enjoy it for indie titles like Stardew.

For those that do have a use for a device of this size and power level still though this looks like a great machine.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Native versus streaming is the real question
You can stream from pc to deck to I think. So it's best of both worlds.

But for the sake of arhgument, if we consider core device function, I would probably prefer playing at high details, ps5 version of a game streamed to portal compared to low quality but localized version on deck.
But that oled. Why sony?! why do you always have to fuck something up

Now they need to manufacture a shit ton of these so that I can get an imported one out of the states. Overall very nice upgrades. Oled screen + better battery is worth the upgrade. Been playing my sd almost daily. Its probably my most fav handheld ever.

Katatonic

Oof the incremental milking begins. PC gamers demand to constantly upgrade so Valve may have tapped into a golden goose.

El Muerto

I'd like to see an upgrade kit where we can buy a new motherboard and screen. Then get a case for the old motherboard and use it as a console.

This is a fantastic handheld machine. If Valve can do this, I don't see why Sony can't. I'm hoping that the new Sony Portal will do well enough for Sony to consider releasing a dedicated OLED handheld console next.

Sold my Switch for the OLED, will do the same with the Steam Deck. The screen is it‘s biggest drawback and I‘m so in love with the Steam Deck. There‘s nothing better than playing Metroid Prime Trilogy with HD textures on the steam deck connected to an OLED, and now I don‘t even need to connect it to the TV anymore to get the punchy colors. Thanks, Valve, for listening to the critics!!!

DanielG165

While I still love my OG Deck, this is exactly the upgrade that would make me trade/sell it. I personally don’t need extra power out of the Steam Deck, as that’s what my PC is for. But, better battery life, better screen, runs a bit cooler, is lighter, better haptics, and even better speakers? That’s a solid upgrade in my opinion.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

While I still love my OG Deck, this is exactly the upgrade that would make me trade/sell it. I personally don’t need extra power out of the Steam Deck, as that’s what my PC is for. But, better battery life, runs a bit cooler, is lighter, better haptics, and even better speakers? That’s a solid upgrade in my opinion.
eBay is about to be full of Deck listings, lol.

Given the competition in the space, I’m glad they upgraded the device. The new updated model now compares far more favourably than the original. I have to say, kudos to Valve for their efforts!

It does appear that the battery life is still woeful, even after the 25% battery capacity increase and accompanying die shrink. That was my largest critique with the original. It was actually why I sold my unit. Even with the new model, a little over 2hrs battery life in CyberPunk is quite frankly embarrassing considering this is a portable device. For example, the updated Switch lasts 4.5 - 9 hrs. That is just waaay more usable.

Last edited:

Pejo

Fuuuuuck. Where did this come from? I love my Deck and the things listed about this upgrade basically cover every single complaint I had about it...
Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

*unzips wallet*

Denton

Oof the incremental milking begins. PC gamers demand to constantly upgrade so Valve may have tapped into a golden goose.
I mean, if I could simply replace the screen, battery and APU in my deck like I can upgrade my PC, I might consider that.

But I am not gonna bother selling my perfectly functional Deck to get whole new model like this. That will only happen when there is meaningful performance upgrade to go with it.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Given the competition in the space, I’m glad they upgraded the device. The new updated model now compares far more favourably than the original. I have to say, kudos to Valve for their efforts!

It does appear that the battery life is still woeful, even after the 25% battery capacity increase and accompanying die shrink. That was my largest critique with the original. It was actually why I sold my unit. Even with the new model, a little over 2hrs battery life in CyberPunk is quite frankly embarrassing considering this is a portable device. For example, the updated Switch lasts 4.5 - 9 hrs. That is just waaay more usable.
Dude, the Deck is like a multitude more powerful than the Switch, if anything over 2 hours on an extremely demanding PC game is extremely impressive. No shit a 2017 mobile phone spec device is going to have better battery, it pulls a fraction of the power.

Denton

a little over 2hrs battery life in CyberPunk is quite frankly embarrassing considering this is a portable device. For example, the updated Switch lasts 4.5 - 9 hrs. That is just waaay more usable.
You can't play Cyberpunk on Switch. If you put some game that's also on Switch and set it to same details and framerate, you will get better battery life on Steam Deck.

And Cyberpunk gets 2 hours 40 minutes with 30fps cap, which is how it should be played anyway.

Last edited:
Dude, the Deck is like a multitude more powerful than the Switch, if anything over 2 hours on an extremely demanding PC game is extremely impressive. No shit a 2017 mobile phone spec device is going to have better battery, it pulls a fraction of the power.

Witcher 3 on the Switch gets around 4-5 hrs.

Tams

They have a point though.

Just like with other battery powered devices; when they run out of power they become expensive paperweights.

The Switch is also a lot more portable, especially if you carrying the JoyCons separately.

You can't play Cyberpunk on Switch. If you put some game that's also on Switch and set it to same details and framerate, you will get better battery life on Steam Deck.

And Cyberpunk gets 2 hours 40 minutes with 30fps cap, which is how it should be played anyway.

You can play Witcher 3. It nets 4-5 hrs on Switch. Can you imagine taking the new steam deck anywhere and it dies after a couple of hours playtime? Why are you pretending that is in any way a good experience? I owned the original and the battery life was so bad I ended up selling it. Many times the original would die in less than an hours play time. This one is improved but the battery life needs to come up to 4 - 5 hrs to be a good experience.

graywolf323

'Updating the Steam Deck is hard. We aren't planning on doing it for several years'.

Too many of you are suckers.
that’s not what they said, they said there wouldn’t be a performance upgrade (which this isn’t really), this is a focus on screen & battery capacity EXACTLY like they said might happen

Valve has, of course, tempered expectations for a souped-up Steam Deck sequel previously; in December, Deck designer Pierre-Loup Griffais said the company would likely keep a single performance spec, ie. the current one, for its handheld gaming PC "a little bit longer", noting any initial hardware improvements would probably focus on screen and battery capacity.

You can play Witcher 3. It nets 4-5 hrs on Switch. Can you imagine taking the new steam deck anywhere and it dies after a couple of hours playtime? Why are you pretending that is in any way a good experience? I owned the original and the battery life was so bad I ended up selling it. Many times the original would die in less than an hours play time. This one is improved but the battery life needs to come up to 4 - 5 hrs to be a good experience.
I‘ve rarely carried any device somewhere where I have no power outlets at all. I used the Steam Deck on vacation, I charged it in my car while playing. Portability doesn‘t mean no power outlets nearby. Portability means I can play on the couch without relying on a stationary TV/monitor. Also, powerbanks? Even back in the days of the OG gameboy we had to carry some extra batteries on vacation. All things considered, battery life may be an argument for you to not buy a SD, but pretending its portability is useless because of its weak battery is not really an argument considering playing outside in bright sunlight in the park sucks anyway because of the screens glare.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly, not having oled and hdr in the sony handheld is so disappointing. as a die hard vita fan, its doubly heartbreaking to see a fucking valve outdo a multi billion conglomerate.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Honestly, not having oled and hdr in the sony handheld is so disappointing. as a die hard vita fan, its doubly heartbreaking to see a fucking valve outdo a multi billion conglomerate.
It’s not like valve is a broke ass company 😂

Sleepwalker

This is a fantastic handheld machine. If Valve can do this, I don't see why Sony can't. I'm hoping that the new Sony Portal will do well enough for Sony to consider releasing a dedicated OLED handheld console next.
Like, even if it costs the same as a PS5 or more, who cares? The market has shown people are willing to sink $500-$1000 into these. It doesnt have to be $300.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is my Christmas gift for me. With all the traveling I’m doing for work (3-4 days every week flying and in hotels) this is a must.

How well does steam deck work for WoW classic ? I assume retail it’s probably not gonna be up to snuff but I want to play things like Diablo 4, 2, and WoW classic on it.

Tygeezy

This is my Christmas gift for me. With all the traveling I’m doing for work (3-4 days every week flying and in hotels) this is a must.

How well does steam deck work for WoW classic ? I assume retail it’s probably not gonna be up to snuff but I want to play things like Diablo 4, 2, and WoW classic on it.
Diablo 4 is deck certified on steam platform now. Retail wow has a console mod for controllers that I know people on deck use.

Top Bottom