• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Brigandier

I've been having a blast with this ridiculously good handheld.... Emulation is so damn easy. Installing the other storefronts to get my other games playable is icing on the cake.

The OLED screen is absolute magic I'm really glad I waited, Only snag is that Skyrim and Fallout 4 are a chore to play they crash a lot for me and I don't know if i'm just unlucky as most people say it's running fine???

Best purchase in years, Can't wait to see what Valve come up with next.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Mine was pretty much unplayable until I went to vaapi in the hardware option, pretty smooth since at 60k bitrate

The HDR looks nice and more importantly I no longer need to deactivate it on my console.

Thanks for the tip, that fixed all freezing.

Though I'm having another issue, some games seem to be enabling hdr (spiderman) where as others are not (ratchet, gt, tetris effect etc)
I swear I had ratchet and tetris working before and now even if I switch back to no hardware option it makes no difference.

When hdr is enabled and you press the ... steam button, does it ever say the Steam Deck is in hdr mode under brightness? Mine never has even when the game says hdr is enabled.

Sleepwalker

Thanks for the tip, that fixed all freezing.

Though I'm having another issue, some games seem to be enabling hdr (spiderman) where as others are not (ratchet, gt, tetris effect etc)
I swear I had ratchet and tetris working before and now even if I switch back to no hardware option it makes no difference.

When hdr is enabled and you press the ... steam button, does it ever say the Steam Deck is in hdr mode under brightness? Mine never has even when the game says hdr is enabled.

Yeah I just booted up Death Stranding and it's working fine:

y0C61gm.jpg

Kings Field

playing Dragons Dogma again on the Steam Deck OLED is like a night and day difference from playing it on consoles. The pretty much locked 60fps is amazing.

I tinkered around and pretty much maxed out the settings and it is still buttery smooth.

THE DUCK

Silly me, I didn't realize that one pull down menu that said ps5 only had a new choice ps5 hdr, they are all working fine now with exception of one. Looking and playing amazing.

THE DUCK

Just a reminder, check out key sites for steam games not on sale, bought river city girls, yoku Island express, and final vendetta instantly for like $15 Canadian total.
Perfect games for a handheld like this.

Also updated to a newer preview firmware, steam link is now working to my PC with almost zero lag and the Gamma is fixed.

So now I have:
Local games (sticking to less demanding)
Xbox games streaming local working great
Ps5 games streaming local in hdr working great
And everything on my PC, including emulators.

Last edited:

Delt31

Is Steam link better than moonlight b/c I've been playing with moonlight and it feels like zero lag too. Hard to believe it can get any better!

Last edited:

THE DUCK

No - most people would recommend moonlight over Steam Link, for years.

I can confirm that, but it wasn't my personal experience, at least so far. I will try it again soon.
I also wonder if the leaning towards moonlight was before they added bitrate options etc for regular steam link.

Ristifer

I'm a deck virgin, so when Steam says a game is "unsupported" does that mean the game is unplayable? I'm on the fence about getting one because a chunk of games in my library aren't supported.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm a deck virgin, so when Steam says a game is "unsupported" does that mean the game is unplayable? I'm on the fence about getting one because a chunk of games in my library aren't supported.

No, not really. You need to check ProtonDB for more info, but lots of "unsupported" games run fine. Probably easiest to just google search reddit+steam deck+game in question to see, or youtube search the game+deck.

graywolf323

No, not really. You need to check ProtonDB for more info, but lots of "unsupported" games run fine. Probably easiest to just google search reddit+steam deck+game in question to see, or youtube search the game+deck.

ShareDeck & Steam Deck HQ also a good resources for people sharing what configs they put games at to get the best performance

Last edited:

Kings Field

Guys you NEED to get Xbplay app. It’s $6 but being able to play almost flawless streaming of gamepass games and also remote play without any tinkering is fucking wild. I was gonna do the work around to play on the deck but I’m computer illiterate and this app popped up a couple days ago and it’s amazing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah, that thread about the PS Portal being hacked and running emulation on it and now it being some master-level top of class device for emulation is peak comedy.

No OLED? Top device for playing retro games? Don't make me laugh.
Yes that did make me chuckle. Even normal games pop of that OLED screen. It’s beautiful.

Yeah, that thread about the PS Portal being hacked and running emulation on it and now it being some master-level top of class device for emulation is peak comedy.

No OLED? Top device for playing retro games? Don't make me laugh.
Yeah lol. Emulation on deck is so good. I am in the middle of a devil may cry ps2 run and it’s so fantastic because of that screen.

Quasicat

I picked up the OLED when they were first announced and got really into my SNES collection. I have bought a bunch of games on Steam, but I’ve really been into Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, and SimCity.

Chiggs

Posting to say that I love my 1TB Steam Deck OLED. After buying and rejecting the ROG Ally and Legion Go, I finally settled on Valve's iteration as my handheld of choice and it has been the best gaming purchase that I've made in the last year.

Me:

Last edited:
Posting to say that I love my 1TB Steam Deck OLED. After buying and rejecting the ROG Ally and Legion Go, I finally settled on Valve's iteration as my handheld of choice and it has been the best gaming purchase that I've made in the last year.

Me:

lol. Great scene. Just watched all Hellraiser films in 4k in the recent Arrow set.

Now that I've had my OLED since its release, I think it's time for some impressions.

Well, first of all - it might be one of the best gaming purchases I've ever made. Right from the start I was in love with the design, how comfortable it was to hold, and obviously with its beautiful screen. Then, as soon as I launched my games, from not so hardware intensive Vampire Survivors or Brotato to Ori and the Will of the Wisps and to the likes of Cyberpunk 2077, I noticed there wasn't much noise coming from the fans and temperatures were excellent. Night and day difference with the LCD model which I was so close to buying on couple of occasions.

Deck also changed some of my gaming habits, help me tackle my backlog, try new genres. I'm buying way more games as well - right now thinking of getting RoboCop and Dying Light 2. It's just so convenient to play on the couch, in bed, on the balcony etc.
Honestly, it is currently my primary gaming device, even though I own a PS5 and a pretty powerful laptop.

There are obviously some bugs, instabilities and compatibility issues but for me they've been few and far between.

Now that I've had my OLED since its release, I think it's time for some impressions.

Well, first of all - it might be one of the best gaming purchases I've ever made. Right from the start I was in love with the design, how comfortable it was to hold, and obviously with its beautiful screen. Then, as soon as I launched my games, from not so hardware intensive Vampire Survivors or Brotato to Ori and the Will of the Wisps and to the likes of Cyberpunk 2077, I noticed there wasn't much noise coming from the fans and temperatures were excellent. Night and day difference with the LCD model which I was so close to buying on couple of occasions.

Deck also changed some of my gaming habits, help me tackle my backlog, try new genres. I'm buying way more games as well - right now thinking of getting RoboCop and Dying Light 2. It's just so convenient to play on the couch, in bed, on the balcony etc.
Honestly, it is currently my primary gaming device, even though I own a PS5 and a pretty powerful laptop.

There are obviously some bugs, instabilities and compatibility issues but for me they've been few and far between.
Yeah, the Deck is just a great experience, especially the OLED model.

I banged out Yakuza 0, now doing FFVII/Seventh Heaven with the upscale mods/60fps, and its absolutely awesome.

Bergoglio

What do you think about GOG games on Deck? And Gamepass via browser?

Top Bottom