• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

SRTtoZ

Wow Diablo 4 runs like a dream on this. I mean not like my desktop but SUPER playable and that's without even using FSR or FSR 2. That just makes the image way too soft. I have most stuff on medium and some lows and it looks crystal clear and is running above 30fps. This is the perfect handheld game just like D3 was. This is the killer app for sure.

You could be right. That's just what I read on reddit (lol) in the thread where a Valve employee talks about both versions. Like you said, there could be human error there but I was thinking about doing it anyway just to have it native on Steam. It's not like I want to install anything else from Battle.net besides D4. Maybe SC2 one day but probably not b/c I wouldn't wanna play a Mouse game on there if I don't have to.
A side note, it's freaking trippy playing RDR2 on this thing. I have most settings on medium, FSR2 'balanced' mode, high textures, everything else mid range, some of the more heavy hitter settings low but it looks and runs great on this thing. Mostly 40-45fps and has a ton more room for either getting to run near 60 (but turning stuff down) or getting it a solid rock 30 but turning some stuff up. Great game for this device.
I get not wanting to screw about with battle.net. Diablo 4 runs amazing on the deck. Love it on the OLED. Anyway, I also do not want to give Blizzard more money lol

Wow Diablo 4 runs like a dream on this. I mean not like my desktop but SUPER playable and that's without even using FSR or FSR 2. That just makes the image way too soft. I have most stuff on medium and some lows and it looks crystal clear and is running above 30fps. This is the perfect handheld game just like D3 was. This is the killer app for sure.
You can run some things on high, most on medium and high, and you can get 45 lock. It's fantastic.

SRTtoZ

It absoultey runs better on Steam than on Battle.net, at least on the Deck. Probably not true in windows but on linux, it does. Just tried both versions, similar settings, it just runs smoother overall.

Also, I couldn't get HDR to work on the battle.net version? It was grayed out but worked perfectly fine on the Steam version.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Kind of annoying that games are dark on steam link, hdr games often don't run in hdr without hacks/changes, and still finding other games that just crash. I mean I sort of understood for the first launch, but for the oled one too? I think valve needs to step up thier game a bit in the plug and play dept.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Kind of annoying that games are dark on steam link, hdr games often don't run in hdr without hacks/changes, and still finding other games that just crash. I mean I sort of understood for the first launch, but for the oled one too? I think valve needs to step up thier game a bit in the plug and play dept.

Just use Moonlight I guess, it's vastly better than Steam Link, everyone always recommends that. I gave it a try and it worked perfectly at 90fps for me.

HDR also worked without issue on the couple games I've played so far, but the feature is new and still getting improved, yes. Should be much better next year, and if nothing else will really pave the way for the Deck 2 to be a much smoother launch with all these features.

Laieon

I'm seemingly one of the few on this website who loves D4, but I don't think anything that is online-only is a killer app for a portable console. I'm still looking forward to trying it out in the future though when it's cheaper on Steam (I've double dipped on Bnet and Xbox already).

You could be right. That's just what I read on reddit (lol) in the thread where a Valve employee talks about both versions. Like you said, there could be human error there but I was thinking about doing it anyway just to have it native on Steam. It's not like I want to install anything else from Battle.net besides D4. Maybe SC2 one day but probably not b/c I wouldn't wanna play a Mouse game on there if I don't have to.
A side note, it's freaking trippy playing RDR2 on this thing. I have most settings on medium, FSR2 'balanced' mode, high textures, everything else mid range, some of the more heavy hitter settings low but it looks and runs great on this thing. Mostly 40-45fps and has a ton more room for either getting to run near 60 (but turning stuff down) or getting it a solid rock 30 but turning some stuff up. Great game for this device.
If you do pull the trigger, let me know if there's actually a difference. If I turn on FSR2, most things can be on high and you're getting 60 with dips into the 50s. Just sticking it to 40 with no FSR, or 45, probably be easy.
try these settings (this guy has the steam version, but they're fine for bnet version:

Laieon

WoW retail (maybe. Controls seem eh)

I think it's very much up to the individual. I've tried and couldn't wrap my head around them (might give it another shot because it does seem like a comfy way to level and do dailies), but I have a friend who got the hang of them very quickly and has been playing on SteamDeck for for months now.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm seemingly one of the few on this website who loves D4, but I don't think anything that is online-only is a killer app for a portable console. I'm still looking forward to trying it out in the future though when it's cheaper on Steam (I've double dipped on Bnet and Xbox already).

That's what personal hotspots are for!

Regarding Fallout 4, So I'm pretty sure the fps counter is lying, says it's locked at 90 FPS but it's definitely not running at 90, feels more like 45. And if I limit to 60 it feels like 30. Why is this happening? Assuming it's something to do with vsync but FO4 doesn't have a vsync option.

Edit: already tried borderless windowed. I think it's a vsync issue.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

If you do pull the trigger, let me know if there's actually a difference. If I turn on FSR2, most things can be on high and you're getting 60 with dips into the 50s. Just sticking it to 40 with no FSR, or 45, probably be easy.
try these settings (this guy has the steam version, but they're fine for bnet version:

I kept it so far but I do have time to refund it since it's steam. My biggest annoyance is when I installed it thru battle.net HDR was grayed out. I didn't really troubleshoot it at all but that was where I was like, okay I'll just keep it. I mean the OLED being in HDR is a pretty big deal to me. There was definitely more stuttering I noticed in the battle.net version. I'm thinking about doing the same thing for Dead Space. I have it using the EA play through game pass but it's on sale on Steam and I'd just much rather run it natively like that. I just like how damn easy it is to install and play. No fucking around. I will definitely watch that video and try those settings! Thanks.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
How is a tetris game so expensive?

I think it's worth it. Amazing visuals and music. Cheaper option would be Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 or 2:

Or if you want it really cheap, just emulate one of the countless versions. The PSP version is great.

Sleepwalker

This is fixed in the beta update I heard

Mr. Steve

Neo Member
Regarding Fallout 4, So I'm pretty sure the fps counter is lying, says it's locked at 90 FPS but it's definitely not running at 90, feels more like 45. And if I limit to 60 it feels like 30. Why is this happening? Assuming it's something to do with vsync but FO4 doesn't have a vsync option.

Edit: already tried borderless windowed. I think it's a vsync issue.
Had the same conclusion. You can fix this through desktop mode and turn off vsync via the Fallout.ini files.

See: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2578446350

While you are at it, kill mouse acceleration and increase your FOV.

Hope it helps.

Boralf

I think it's worth it. Amazing visuals and music. Cheaper option would be Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 or 2:

Or if you want it really cheap, just emulate one of the countless versions. The PSP version is great.
Yeah I think I'll do that. I think it's a good idea to have some of these "quick play" games on the Deck like Tetris. Wonder if there's something like Meteos too.

THE DUCK

This is fixed in the beta update I heard

Yes I think you or someone else pointed that out, and it's good, but you would think that basic functionality of steam link from valve themselves would have been tested and fixed before launch. It's not just one game......

Bry0

D4 went on sale on Steam. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger even tho I own it on Battle.net just so I don't have to fuck around. Do you think the Steam version will run better than the Battle.net version on the Steam Deck?

From what I'm reading some say they perform very similarly but maybe the Steam version runs at 5-10fps which isn't that much normally but when you're talking about 40-50fps, that's a lot. If your'e talking about a gaming rig where the game runs at 200fps that's obviously nothing in the grand scheme of things. Now factor in the OLED deck performs a solid 5fps better than the non OLED version, that adds up to a good 15fps. I think I'll buy it on Steam. I could always refund it if I change my mind after an hour.
It’s basically the same. Oled has faster ram which certainly reduces some of the loading stutters on your horse, but I never noticed a big difference between steam vs battle net. Its a bit more convenient to launch though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes I think you or someone else pointed that out, and it's good, but you would think that basic functionality of steam link from valve themselves would have been tested and fixed before launch. It's not just one game......
That's why there's options. Just use Moonlight like everyone else does and no problems. Steam link is inferior, and Moonlight is free.

Minsc

Gold Member
I personally like XBplay its only $5 and is on the App Store/discovery so it was negligible to set up.

That doesn't appear to be an alternative for Steam link though? Does it actually work well? Everyone always says Xbox streaming is bad on the Deck because you need gamepass/windows? I don't even have an Xbox, but just curious.

Brigandier

I caved and ordered a 512gb OLED last night I've wanted a SD since it's reveal, Now seems like the right time.

Hope I get it for the weekend so I can nerd out and set up some emulators and play a bunch of games.

MrMephistoX

That doesn't appear to be an alternative for Steam link though? Does it actually work well? Everyone always says Xbox streaming is bad on the Deck because you need gamepass/windows? I don't even have an Xbox, but just curious.
Oh yeah sorry it’s streaming from an Xbox to your deck only but gamepass works.

THE DUCK

That's why there's options. Just use Moonlight like everyone else does and no problems. Steam link is inferior, and Moonlight is free.

Well I will have to try moonlight again, it has its own issues. But it's a third party app so I don't have the same expectations I do for valve and thier own product.

THE DUCK

I personally like XBplay its only $5 and is on the App Store/discovery so it was negligible to set up.

Thank you for pointing this out, downloaded and paid. Way simplified the xbox streaming expereince. Bit rates, touch controls, sharpening filters, resolutions all built in.

More importantly and surprisingly, I just tried 8 games and this was my most lag free local experience ever. Like 18/20 people would have zero idea it wasn't local good.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thank you for pointing this out, downloaded and paid. Way simplified the xbox streaming expereince. Bit rates, touch controls, sharpening filters, resolutions all built in.

More importantly and surprisingly, I just tried 8 games and this was my most lag free local experience ever. Like 18/20 people would have zero idea it wasn't local good.

That's pretty much how Moonlight went for me - and I tried it with a pinball game which if it even hiccups for a split second totally messes up your entire run and probably causes you to lose the ball. The whole experience had perfect frame pacing, not a single stutter and I had it setup in under 5 minutes with GFE, however trying to get it working with Sunshine is still a work in progress for me. It works and fairly well, but I need to tweak a little more, where using GFE with Moonlight was just way simpler. Though I don't think that's necessarily a common view, and if you don't have an nVidia card not even an option in the first place.

But yeah, almost every app I use on my PC is a third party app. I prefer XYPlorer over window's explorer by far. I prefer J River Media Center and Music Bee over regular Windows Media Center, I used to prefer Firefox/Chrome over IE (though Edge is pretty nice now), I prefer PotPlayer over Media Center, I prefer Steam to Microsoft's Gamepass/Store, I prefer Affinity Photo to Paint, well the list goes on and on and on and on. I definitely generally prefer third party software to first party. And for games I generally prefer other developers games over Valve's as well.

MrMephistoX

I’m currently playing the Cyberpunk patch on it and I haven’t had any issues: being able to mess with the bitrate on this and Chiaki for PS is game changing.

Last edited:
Death Stranding looks absolutely stunning on the OLED, and runs pretty much locked 30 with default graphical settings. :messenger_smiling_hearts: What's equally impressive is that the device is near silent (2200-2400 RPM) and doesn't get burning hot like I thought it would (55-60 °C).

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Nobody Saves the World and Midnight Fight Express are on humble choice this month. I played through most of NSTW on steam deck and it was awesome. First person to dm me I’ll give my extra NSTW key to.

Shakka43

The power limitations of the Deck kind of have become a positive feature for me as the ultimate backlog killer machine. I have now finished many games that have been seating on my playlist/library for years and I'm loving it. I'm now playing Alice Madness Returns after being on my wishlist for over a decade and it is quite the little gem of a game, it looks and plays beautifully on the OLED at 90fps(ini file edit).

Mr. Steve

Neo Member
Death Stranding looks absolutely stunning on the OLED, and runs pretty much locked 30 with default graphical settings. :messenger_smiling_hearts: What's equally impressive is that the device is near silent (2200-2400 RPM) and doesn't get burning hot like I thought it would (55-60 °C).
The Original or Director’s Cut? I had major drops to 23fps with the latter.

Deerock71

When I get one of these babies, I might never tether myself to a tv again. Between this and the Switch, a new horizon in handhelds is arising.

TheStam

Finally set up Moonlight + Sunshine today and even with my awful 2014 router that I'm about to replace, it works pretty much flawlessly. I had tried Moonlight once when I got the LCD and had a bad experience, probably because of too high bitrate setting. Also didn't have a good time with Steam streaming before, but damn this works so good, I've been missing out.

Suddenly I can crank up the settings and play games like Cyberpunk, Alan Wake 2, Returnal and Baldurs Gate 3 at 90 fps downsampled from 1200p. Path tracing and everything at this resolution.

The only missing piece of the puzzle is HDR support which is supposedly on the way.

If anyone has a desktop and is lazy like me, I can't recommend it enough. It's not even complicated to set it up.

THE DUCK

Been playing Chiaki and Xbplay a lot the last few days, both have been basically flawless in most of my house. There's one far edge of my house that I don't have as strong of coverage that will freeze occasionally but I never sit there anyhow, just wanted to see what would happen.

I mean it's working so well most people wouldn't know it was streamed. It's great to have basically plug and play access to both ms and sony consoles.

Sleepwalker

Been playing Chiaki and Xbplay a lot the last few days, both have been basically flawless in most of my house. There's one far edge of my house that I don't have as strong of coverage that will freeze occasionally but I never sit there anyhow, just wanted to see what would happen.

I mean it's working so well most people wouldn't know it was streamed. It's great to have basically plug and play access to both ms and sony consoles.

Chiaki is incredible, I just got around setring it up and put in a return request for my portal. The HDR is nuts and the haptics are nice, not dualsense level but very nice.

How do you set up xbplay? I need to configure that and moonlight.

THE DUCK

Chiaki is incredible, I just got around setring it up and put in a return request for my portal. The HDR is nuts and the haptics are nice, not dualsense level but very nice.

How do you set up xbplay? I need to configure that and moonlight.

Oh you must have done the chaiki hdr update, I was going to but when they get into too many linux commands I gloss over and shut down, lol. I'll wait for the official update, I can handle that.

Xbplay was pretty easy, it is $6 though. But it's an actual steam app with lots of good options, easily worth it. I can't 100% recall but I think I had to install it in desktop mode, but I only use it in game mode now, no need to go back once it's set up. Remember to favorite it as I'm pretty sure it won't show up after it disappears from recent list.

One other thing I forgot to mention was how I'm getting superior graphics on every game vs the native hardware on steam deck which makes sense since its like 2tf vs 10-12.
Kinda makes the internal hardware almost pointless with exception of simpler games.
Plus less need to rebuy games on steam.

Also did some emulation streaming today from the pc, even though the deck can handle most things.

Last edited:
The power limitations of the Deck kind of have become a positive feature for me as the ultimate backlog killer machine. I have now finished many games that have been seating on my playlist/library for years and I'm loving it. I'm now playing Alice Madness Returns after being on my wishlist for over a decade and it is quite the little gem of a game, it looks and plays beautifully on the OLED at 90fps(ini file edit).
This is one of the best use cases for me personally. As I'm able to get more time on the handheld too I'm going back and playing a few older games I wouldn't have otherwise.

poodaddy

Yup yup, I started playing through The Darkness 2 finally, been meaning to get to it since it released and I'm finally doing it at night before bed on the OLED, and fuck me the game is fun dude. Not as good as the first one, but very fun, and this is the ideal use case scenario for the Deck for me; it can be the perfect motivation to actually address those games that you've been meaning to get to for so long, and it plays games from that era at a rock solid 90 fps, maxed out, and they look better on that screen than they could have possibly looked on literally anything else at the time they released.

After The Darkness 2, I'm thinking about having a go at Okami, or perhaps some other game from that era that I missed out on. Does anyone have any suggestions actually? It's important to note that I missed damn near everything from that era, barring a few exceptions, due to my joining the Army and just focusing on other stuff for a while, so if there's a gem from that era that would be a great choice for the OLED, I probably did miss it.

Sleepwalker

Thw
Oh you must have done the chaiki hdr update, I was going to but when they get into too many linux commands I gloss over and shut down, lol. I'll wait for the official update, I can handle that.

Xbplay was pretty easy, it is $6 though. But it's an actual steam app with lots of good options, easily worth it. I can't 100% recall but I think I had to install it in desktop mode, but I only use it in game mode now, no need to go back once it's set up. Remember to favorite it as I'm pretty sure it won't show up after it disappears from recent list.

One other thing I forgot to mention was how I'm getting superior graphics on every game vs the native hardware on steam deck which makes sense since its like 2tf vs 10-12.
Kinda makes the internal hardware almost pointless with exception of simpler games.
Plus less need to rebuy games on steam.

Also did some emulation streaming today from the pc, even though the deck can handle most things.
The official update for Chiaki HDR is out, just update it on the discovery store then go back to settings and there are some new settings that say "needed for HDR" select those and boom.

THE DUCK

Thw

The official update for Chiaki HDR is out, just update it on the discovery store then go back to settings and there are some new settings that say "needed for HDR" select those and boom.

I'll take a look later today, is that chiaki4deck or regular chiaki? (I assume 4deck since you talked about haptics). I swear I checked it like earlier yesterday and it showed Oct update, but thats good news!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Nobody Saves the World and Midnight Fight Express are on humble choice this month. I played through most of NSTW on steam deck and it was awesome. First person to dm me I’ll give my extra NSTW key to.

Nobody wants this key? I swear it’s a great steam deck game

Edit - gone

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I installed it last night and yes, chiaki4deck.

Tried it out only for a bit, does seem to look nicer for sure. The extra brightness and clntradts pops, while color still looks amazing. Was having some issues with freezing though, not sure if that's a coincidence......

Sleepwalker

Tried it out only for a bit, does seem to look nicer for sure. The extra brightness and clntradts pops, while color still looks amazing. Was having some issues with freezing though, not sure if that's a coincidence......

Mine was pretty much unplayable until I went to vaapi in the hardware option, pretty smooth since at 60k bitrate

The HDR looks nice and more importantly I no longer need to deactivate it on my console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom