• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Minsc

Gold Member
Finally tried out remote play with PS5 on the SD OLED, it’s solid. The stream wasn't 100% smooth but its good enough.

After playing a few hours with it I am still tempted to pick up a ps portal because I can already see the bigger screen and dualsense controls being better for streaming.

Here is a video on how to set it up remote with PS5:

Just keep in mind they're making massive improvements every day it seems. HDR is starting to get worked in, and just today I read there were some major improvements for hardware decoding that resulted in better IQ/no green screen errors.

I personally don't think any combination of controls / larger screen would make up for HDR support when that's added in.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
since I’m new to Steam, is there a big sale coming up? I missed the recent sale. I wanted to get all three dark souls games.

Don’t think you have to buy games from Steam.

I usually buy games from

GMG
fanatical
CDKeys
NuuveM

Fanatical does a lot of Steam Deck verified bundles too.

Check out gg.deals and it will show you who has the cheapest pricest at the moment. But to answer your question there will be a Steam sale near Xmas.

Croga

OLED finally arrived today after being in shipping limbo since the 21st without an update, thank fuck for that!

I was paranoid it had been either lost or nicked but a knock on the door today and there it was, hadn't even got a delivery notification and it was still showing as in the Netherlands...fucking GLS lol.

Jesb

I can only imagine how much better it would be if gamepass was an option just by downloading the app. I know there’s work around but why is not an option straight away if Microsoft wants it on all devices. Does steam not allow them?

Topher

Gold Member
I can only imagine how much better it would be if gamepass was an option just by downloading the app. I know there’s work around but why is not an option straight away if Microsoft wants it on all devices. Does steam not allow them?

Steam has nothing to do with it. Microsoft only supports Windows handhelds.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind they're making massive improvements every day it seems. HDR is starting to get worked in, and just today I read there were some major improvements for hardware decoding that resulted in better IQ/no green screen errors.

I personally don't think any combination of controls / larger screen would make up for HDR support when that's added in.

The HDR is amazing on the SD oled, I was blown away by how good Ori and the Will of the Wisps looks on the oled.

Valves goal with the steam deck is to get more customers buying from the steam store and joining the steam ecosystem.

This is why its a hassle to play games outside of steam on the deck, Phil Spencer seemed to support the steam deck initially so the fact that the app isn't on the deck yet makes me think Valve doesn't want to add it, maybe due to negotiations not being the right fit yet.

Last edited:

Shakka43

since I’m new to Steam, is there a big sale coming up? I missed the recent sale. I wanted to get all three dark souls games.
Bookmark this website. Best place to keep up with the best prices and where to get them, you can also sign in with your steam account to integrate your wish list.
Usually you can get cheaper keys buying from third party sellers, my trusted ones are Eneba, CDKeys and Yuplay.

Last edited:

Assaulty

I just got mine. The biggest upgrade in my opinion isn't the screen, but the weight reduction. This thing feels much better to hold than the LCD SteamDeck.
Enjoy! The unit actually does feel noticably lighter (Although my lcd one is "decked" out with another backplate, skin etc. No clue what that does for weight )

It's insane to me how much they've atually improved with this model. The screen is drop dead and the 90hz does A LOT for streaming games and indie titles.

The overall package is an incredible improvement. Buttons are tighter, bumpers don't feel like they could fall apart at any second. The d-pad is now actually usable in Indie games. The track pads are a lot more responsive.

The wifi is insanely fast and also massively improves the experience using stuff like Moonlight and XBplay (Although overall performance on xbox streaming is far far FAR behind pc streaming.). Firing up Remnant 2 through Moonlight for the first time on the Oled screen, I actually got goosebumps🤣. This is my first Oled screen ever and my god: the colors, the blacks, the sharpness. It's insanely good.

Input lag is also clearly reduced compared to streaming (and native mind you). Never thought I'd see the day where just downloading the triple A games on my pc and using streaming would ever be my preferred way to play single player as I am pretty iffy about input lag, but it's actually better than playing the same game natively on the steam deck by a lot.

I also could swear that locking to 45hz is now smoother compared to the LCD Deck.

Tygeezy

I also could swear that locking to 45hz is now smoother compared to the LCD Deck.
It's much smoother because you're actually using 90 hz at a 45 fps cap instead of 45 fps at 45 hz. If you using vsync it would be even smoother because the gpu would never have to hold back frames like it does when the framerate matches or exceeds the refresh rate. Each frame being held back at 45 hz would be an additional 22 ms of latency.

StereoVsn

It is earphones that have the issue - the in ear type ones. It is something to do with the impedence - so if you use proper headphones, it is fine - earphones are the issue (apparently).
You could get either a small battery based 3.5 mm DAC or USB one (with usb c adapter or native). That would filter all that shit out.

I recommend buying them on Playasia as they had the cheapest prices last time I looked and key access is instant after paying. DSR (17.32 USD); DS2 (15.49 USD); DS3DE (30.25 USD).

https://www.play-asia.com/dark-souls-remastered/13/70c2lt
https://www.play-asia.com/dark-souls-ii-scholar-of-the-first-sin/13/708se9
https://www.play-asia.com/dark-souls-iii-deluxe-edition/13/70bzrp

SRTtoZ

Fuck. My Deck restarted when SteamOS was installing and now it's corrupted. This is why Linux is annoying. Anyways, looks like I have to do a re-image from their site but of course I don't have a fucking USB C boot drive so I had to run to best buy to buy a 256gb boot drive. I'll let you know how this works. (if)

Aside from that the hardware is STUNNING and feels amazing in the hands. Perfect pixels as well on this LE.

dUALZDb.jpg

Ok so far so good, it's installing from the boot drive. I think when that's done I have to select "Re-image".

edit: What a nightmare. I was trying to re-image it for hours and no luck, kept getting stuck on a black screen with cursor but would never fully load the re-image installer. Anyway, I found a YT video that showed me how to use restore points and it showed a few but had no names on them so I selected a random one and it brought it back to stock and let me install fresh from that. Finally working now. Turns out I didn't need the boot drive after all...sigh.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just wow everything I try looks amazing now. Got Retroarch on it and started Super Metroid. Just looking at the title screen makes me grin 😁 Those clearly defined pixels! 🥰

SRTtoZ

OMG the Limited Edition is worth it for the exclusive startup screen alone! It's so sick! The screen on this thing is insanity. I tried Lego Star Wars which runs great and looks beautiful, and then I tried Ori and the Will of the Wisps which again, runs great and looks stunning. The HDR in Ori blew my mind tho. It was SUPER bright that I winced and had to turn it down from max brightness. They weren't kidding when they said 1000 nits.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

Been thinking about picking one up. Mainly for sidescrollers and indie games. Havent found any videos showing performance on these type of games.

Moonscars
Ori games
Mark of the Ninja

To name a few. Can the deck max these type of games out at native res and fps?

Thanks.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Was in a quandary about one of these or a ROG Ally.

Decided the best option was to get the Deck OLED, enjoy it whilst waiting for the inevitable 2024 refresh upgrade of the ROG with similar improvements to the Deck.

Deck 2 is at least a 18mths away, so I won't have to worry about that needing to replaced anytime soon.

Midn1ght

Been thinking about picking one up. Mainly for sidescrollers and indie games. Havent found any videos showing performance on these type of games.

Moonscars
Ori games
Mark of the Ninja

Thanks.

These are from the non-Oled Steam Deck but all are running perfectly at locked 60.
They should look and run even better on the Oled.

Assaulty

I remember somebody asking about downloading games with the screen off. There is actually a way involving going to desktop described in this Video. Just tried it and can confirm this works like a charm

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I remember somebody asking about downloading games with the screen off. There is actually a way involving going to desktop described in this Video. Just tried it and can confirm this works like a charm

Thanks for this! Good tip for when I'm not home and/or on a shitty WiFi. I'm getting like 650+ Mbps so everything just downloads very quickly.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Yeah, Im not going through all that hassle. Valve needs to fix that shit.
they really do need to add it to game mode at least as a setting but it’s not really a hassle, it’s basically just setting it so that the system doesn’t automatically go to sleep while plugged in while leaving on the setting to turn the screen off

Minsc

Gold Member
It should just be able to download in low power/sleep mode, like every other device in the world.

But as it is, it's not like you're downloading a new game every day, unless you buy 300+ games a year. And even if you did leave it plugged in for a couple hours to download a handful of new games, while you did some chores or watched a show or whatever, doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Assaulty

Yeah, Im not going through all that hassle. Valve needs to fix that shit.

Agreed! Its crazy they haven't yet added it into the game mode even tho my xbox 360 was able to do it 15 years ago.

Although its not much of a hasstle. You tick/untico 3 boxes and switch to game mode every time you have large games to install

Minsc

Gold Member
Agreed! Its crazy they haven't yet added it into the game mode even tho my xbox 360 was able to do it 15 years ago.

Although its not much of a hasstle. You tick/untico 3 boxes and switch to game mode every time you have large games to install

Doesn't it seem a lot easier to just connect it to power? Why care whether the screen is off or not, it still automatically dims afaik, and even if it didn't it would eventually turn the screen off.

Shakka43

Moonscars
Ori games
Mark of the Ninja

Thanks.
Both Ori games play great. For Blind Forest cap the refresh rate to 60hz as it runs weird at 90(at least for me it does). Will of the Wisps runs at a perfect 90fps with the graphics set to balance.

Kings Field

Got my deck set up after work at 3am. What a beautiful screen. Even better than the Switch OLED. I can’t ever go back to a regular LCD screen on any handheld or TV so hopefully nintendo will launch with an OLED screen.

I bought Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls 1 and Remnant 1 to start off.

keefged4

Chiaki4deck has a development build that now allows PS5 streaming WITH full HDR to the deck. Its glorious, you can find out how to following this link, instructions are midway down the page: https://github.com/streetpea/chiaki4deck/pull/104#

For those who bought the PS Portal, You should hopefully still be within the returns window so you can put the refund towards this instead ;)

Now hopefully moonlight will follow suit, and the Deck Oled will be the absolute best handheld money can buy right now.

Minsc

Gold Member
Chiaki4deck has a development build that now allows PS5 streaming WITH full HDR to the deck. Its glorious, you can find out how to following this link, instructions are midway down the page: https://github.com/streetpea/chiaki4deck/pull/104#

For those who bought the PS Portal, You should hopefully still be within the returns window so you can put the refund towards this instead ;)

Now hopefully moonlight will follow suit, and the Deck Oled will be the absolute best handheld money can buy right now.

Moonlight is adding HDR as well. It's really the best handheld in terms of what it brings to the table IMO. There's thousands of PC games native, with more being added (both through compatibility fixes and new releases) all the time, then theres tens of thousands of games accessible through emulation/PC streaming and PS5 streaming.

And it's the only handheld device that is going to deliver those games in full HDR glory. With moonlight streaming at 90fps + HDR, and PS5 streaming with HDR - it will stay relevant for a long time past the release of Deck 2, since anything the Deck 2 could run native would still be able to be streaming w/ HDR at higher quality from a PC than even the Deck 2 could run.

SRTtoZ

I had to stop playing Halo Infinite Campaign to just type how fucking amazing this system is. I'm running Halo Infinite on Low @ native res @ 45fps locked. It's perfection! Feels great, looks fantastic, sounds great. I can't believe something like this exists, it's nuts! Now I'm sort of glad Infinite was made for the original Xbox One cuz it's now so scableable. If anyone is hesitating on buying this system like I was, remain no longer. This is worth every penny of the $700 I paid for it. My dad needs surgery this week in the hospital and I want to spend a good amount of time there so this will be the perfect acquaintance for times when he's sleeping or whatever and I can just sit back and play some games in his room.

StereoVsn

Bookmark this website. Best place to keep up with the best prices and where to get them, you can also sign in with your steam account to integrate your wish list.
Usually you can get cheaper keys buying from third party sellers, my trusted ones are Eneba, CDKeys and Yuplay.
Eneba and Yuplay are fairly shady since they resell keys from unknown parties. CDKeys is fine since they are basically a grey market reseller but it’s fairly legit.

Jesb

I had to stop playing Halo Infinite Campaign to just type how fucking amazing this system is. I'm running Halo Infinite on Low @ native res @ 45fps locked. It's perfection! Feels great, looks fantastic, sounds great. I can't believe something like this exists, it's nuts! Now I'm sort of glad Infinite was made for the original Xbox One cuz it's now so scableable. If anyone is hesitating on buying this system like I was, remain no longer. This is worth every penny of the $700 I paid for it. My dad needs surgery this week in the hospital and I want to spend a good amount of time there so this will be the perfect acquaintance for times when he's sleeping or whatever and I can just sit back and play some games in his room.

I was also impressed how well the game runs on iPhone via Xbox streaming playing with the backbone controller. I imagine it’s that much better on steam deck among a bunch of other games. Playing Xbox games on my iPhone makes me just want a steam deck so much more. I only wish the steam deck was easier to get and it sold in stores.

SRTtoZ

I was also impressed how well the game runs on iPhone via Xbox streaming playing with the backbone controller. I imagine it’s that much better on steam deck among a bunch of other games. Playing Xbox games on my iPhone makes me just want a steam deck so much more. I only wish the steam deck was easier to get and it sold in stores.
Same. I would have had one earlier if they sold it in stores. I remember checking Best Buy a few months ago and being disappointed I couldn't buy one there or even try it. It would be perfect to sell at those big retailers like Best Buy, Target, Walmart etc.

I'm going through CDkeys right now looking for some games to buy. So far in my cart I have Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition. It's only $20 compared to like $50-60 on Steam. Same for MH Rise + expansion. Days Gone was like $10. Metro Exodus GOLD (with expansions) is $5. I just about filled my 1TB + 512gb sdxc card but when I go to a Steam page and see "Steam Deck: Verified", I'm like, I NEED TO TRY THIS GAME. I think the Resident Evil games are next. RE7, Village, RE4R.

For some reason in my head, I kept thinking why would anyone buy a Steam Deck? It runs games like crap, it's low resolution, runs games at less than 30fps, blah blah blah. I kept thinking it had like Intel on board gpu but I was DEAD WRONG. A lot of the games I'm playing, even newer ones, run great at NATIVE resolution with whatever the verified games recommend which is Low/medium-ish @45-60fps. I know some games will tank it to 30 but usually its a LOCKED 30. It's perfectly playable. On top of that the games look amazing on this screen. All the little tricks you can do like lock the FPS, on the fly adjust the refresh rate, have performance metrics on/off, more detailed, less detailed. It's just a beast of a handheld system. I get that it wasn't always this way, and people who bought it on release had a buggy system with a loud ass fan but with the OLED improvements and all of the software updates since release, it's really the perfect time to pick one of these up. Let's talk about fan for a second. I played a solid 2 hours of Halo Infinite and the fan at it's loudest is not bothering at all. It never gets to annoyingly loud like some Laptops do (like my Razer Blade 14 with a 3070 Ti). I know they switched out fans and updated the curve for every steam deck out there, even the old models, so everyone will feel the improvement. Game plays like a dream too. Haven't played since I beat it on release on Series X and it's just as fun as I remember. Now I'm going to go through the 20+ games I downloaded and try each and every one out to see what I'm gonna keep installed or delete, so I can try out a few more until I get the perfect arragement of games. I need to make space for the new Monster Hunter games I'm buying from cdkeys now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom