• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED | Review Thread

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm torn. Go with this for the OLED or stick with the Ally for the better performance.

Choose Which One GIF by Bounce
I would stick with the Deck (until Deck 2.0) as it is more versatile (control options matter, it has the best overlay, and all my money helps finance projects like Proton which is a massive boost for the industry. PC needs a solid console like platform that is open (SW wise) like PCs should, something like Steam Deck.

d560ivH.jpg

Plus with the OLED revision you do get up to a 8-9% boost (or a bit more maybe) on games and a lot of other improvements:

pBSpGS4.png

ajOTJqQ.png

Last edited:

Setzer

i was set on getting a legion go... now i cant decide anymore
I would have probably went for the Legion Go but I don't care for how it's designed and the ergonomics. I'm sure it could be easily fixed by someone making new controllers that will work with it but I'm gonna stick with Steam Deck.

Kamykazi

Neo Member
I’ve seen some OLED TV owners say that 30fps gaming looks terrible on their sets (worse than LCD) and they only ever play at 60fps+. Is this a thing on handheld OLED devices also or does the smaller screen size negate the issue? Steam Deck is very reliant on 30fps for newer titles.
OLED has a near instant pixel response time which makes individual frames at lower frame rates more pronounced.

Hakiroto

I bought a Steam Deck just over a year ago, but didn't expect to love it as much as I did. Over the past year, I've played games on that more than on anything else. The only negative thing for me was the screen, and it bothered me every time I played it. This upgrade is just what I was hoping for, and will do just fine until there's a big enough leap in the technology available to power a true successor. My original Steam Deck sold last night, and I'm excited to order an OLED model.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So I’m not sure if this is a mgs2, mgs collection, or steam deck issue.

I played about 9 hours of mgs2 no issue, and 30 mins to a hour here and there of other games. Let’s say I’ve used my steam deck 20-30 hours since I got it.

As of today when I play mgs2, usually within 10 minutes during cut scenes it seems or non gameplay moments it’ll slow down and chop then hard freeze the deck. No buttons are responsive and I’m forced to hold down the orange button to reset.

Am I boned? Am I gonna have to issue a refund to get a replacement ?

Kupfer

So I’m not sure if this is a mgs2, mgs collection, or steam deck issue.

I played about 9 hours of mgs2 no issue, and 30 mins to a hour here and there of other games. Let’s say I’ve used my steam deck 20-30 hours since I got it.

As of today when I play mgs2, usually within 10 minutes during cut scenes it seems or non gameplay moments it’ll slow down and chop then hard freeze the deck. No buttons are responsive and I’m forced to hold down the orange button to reset.

Am I boned? Am I gonna have to issue a refund to get a replacement ?
Weird one...
Maybe contact the steam support about that. I also had to RMA my launch day Deck two times before I got a working like intended one, but since then it's running without any problem.

Arsic

Weird one...
Maybe contact the steam support about that. I also had to RMA my launch day Deck two times before I got a working like intended one, but since then it's running without any problem.
I tried mgs revengance for about 30 minutes. No issues.

Going to try mgs2 again and something more intensive like path of exile at my hotel room tonight to see what results I get.

The mgs collection ports as we all know are bad. In order to get them to work on deck you have to download an audio file just so it has sound lol.

Google is showing people with similar issues on other games and they have to send the deck back for replacement.

I should know by end of day if I got a bunk one or not. I’m just hoping valve isn’t going to drag their feet to send out a new one.

Kupfer

I should know by end of day if I got a bunk one or not. I’m just hoping valve isn’t going to drag their feet to send out a new one.
As far as I can tell from my experiences, they are kind of cool with RMAing.
The second time I had to work on them a bit but it worked as well. In the end I think they might were right and my second Deck was alright ... whoops.

Tunned

I just want to say, I UPGRADED my old 512Mb Deck to a 1Tb OLED model, and "upgraded" is in caps because the change is spectacular! Holy shit that screen, the buttons, battery, quieter fan, extractable case... the list goes on.

Bravo Valve, you gave me the Deck I was waiting for, it will hold me over nicely till the next iteration.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I got a 1tb SD card to put all my emulators and such on and every once in a while the deck will not read it and I have to pop it out and put it back in, but then it works fine. Anyone else get this?

Kings Field

I got a 1tb SD card to put all my emulators and such on and every once in a while the deck will not read it and I have to pop it out and put it back in, but then it works fine. Anyone else get this?

I know it’s late for an answer to this but if you turn your deck on while it’s charging this happens. I tested it about 20 times. Every time I turned the deck on while it is charging it said the SD card was not there or was svrewwed up. When I turned the deck on while not plugged in, it was fine.

Not sure if that helps but I came across a random Reddit comment that stated such and it seems to be the problem.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I know it’s late for an answer to this but if you turn your deck on while it’s charging this happens. I tested it about 20 times. Every time I turned the deck on while it is charging it said the SD card was not there or was svrewwed up. When I turned the deck on while not plugged in, it was fine.

Not sure if that helps but I came across a random Reddit comment that stated such and it seems to be the problem.

Thanks dude. That’s so weird.

Quasicat

Yeah, a site that tells you best settings for game optimization. Example being SteamHQ, are there others? Are they the best?
I’ve used them and they work, but sometimes they don’t go back and update their recommendations so you are using old information.
I’ve found luck with YouTube by searching for “best Steam deck settings for __________.” The one channel that keeps popping up that does well is called Steam Deck Gaming. It’s helped me out a couple of times.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah, a site that tells you best settings for game optimization. Example being SteamHQ, are there others? Are they the best?
There's a Decky plugin that takes you to protondb for every game right from their "Play" screen. Super convenient.

Last edited:

Arsic

Curious. I got remote play on the ps5 working on my deck and it made me wonder is it better to do that with my gaming pc and deck?

Like, will the game visually look or run better? I assume since it’s running off my pc this allows me to get max settings games just “streamed” to my deck vs the deck actual gpu/cpu.

Which then makes me think… GeForce now and gamepass on a deck would be the most amazing portable gaming on the planet, right?

Quasicat

Curious. I got remote play on the ps5 working on my deck and it made me wonder is it better to do that with my gaming pc and deck?

Like, will the game visually look or run better? I assume since it’s running off my pc this allows me to get max settings games just “streamed” to my deck vs the deck actual gpu/cpu.

Which then makes me think… GeForce now and gamepass on a deck would be the most amazing portable gaming on the planet, right?
I use my Deck at work where the internet is far worse than it is at home so, for me, locally ran games are far better than streaming. That being said, when I am home, I remote play from my Xbox and you can’t tell the difference. I need to try GamePass on it since using my iPad gave me pretty bad performance.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Google Sunshine streaming, this is what I’m using and yeah playing Cyberpunk at max settings / 90FPS on Deck feels like cheating.

If you find a way to get the touchpad button to work on deck let me know. I have remote play as well as psplus app on deck and both are botched because it wont create the touchpad button. I feel like I'm just missing something obvious

I should probably do this to be honest. I've absolutely no issues playing the games I have on Deck but some of the more demanding games would be worth streaming.

Is it possible to stream games that aren't supported ie. Call of Duty on Deck? I assume they are but wonder if there are any issues in doing so.

On a slightly separate note, I've been playing this thing almost daily since release and in my 30+ years of gaming, I think it's the best console I've ever owned. Seriously difficult to find any major flaws in this thing.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Tempted to move to full PC ecosystem from my PS5 (got a decent rig i7 14700 and 3060Ti) and all my friends said the Steam Deck is perfect to add to that unified achievement system etc, was wondering for those that dived if its worth it? Also tired of paying ridiculous prices for PS5 games (persona 3 reload I can get for £30 compared to £54)

Sleepwalker

Tempted to move to full PC ecosystem from my PS5 (got a decent rig i7 14700 and 3060Ti) and all my friends said the Steam Deck is perfect to add to that unified achievement system etc, was wondering for those that dived if its worth it? Also tired of paying ridiculous prices for PS5 games (persona 3 reload I can get for £30 compared to £54)

100% worth it. My steam library ballooned from a few freebies to over 100 games since i got my Deck lol

Cyberpunkd

Depends on what games you play. The most demanding ones nowadays will run around 30FPS at 720p on Low/Medium settings. Small screen helps with the gaming experience.
If you want something more of raw power ROG Ally or Legion Go is the way to go, but the downside is Win 11 and shit battery. Steam Deck is the best portable holistically.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TBH they rigged the test - they should have also showed Ally 30W mode.
They said they set the Ally in Turbo mode plugged in so… they did? They also set the games at 1200x800 on all units which is not the native resolution people will use on the Ally and Go which means they will have a framerate boost from that.

Edit: I stand corrected. It was not, but at that point you may as well buy a tiny PC and hook it to the TV…

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

What's this "unified achievement system"?

Geruda065

What made me switch was the need for subscription just to trade in diablo 4. Not to play pvp but just to trade or use in game chat you need ps+.

Topher

Gold Member
What made me switch was the need for subscription just to trade in diablo 4. Not to play pvp but just to trade or use in game chat you need ps+.

The one thing holding me back from going full PC is physical media. Being able to rent from Gamefly saves me a bunch of money. But if PS5 Pro is digital only.....I'm pretty sure I'm done with console. Between my PC, Steam Deck and Rog Ally (for Game Pass)......my coverage on games is pretty damn good.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The one thing holding me back from going full PC is physical media. Being able to rent from Gamefly saves me a bunch of money. But if PS5 Pro is digital only.....I'm pretty sure I'm done with console. Between my PC, Steam Deck and Rog Ally (for Game Pass)......my coverage on games is pretty damn good.
Yup, if PS goes digital only im out of consoles.

I am OK with buying the disc drive add on for it though.

Mr.ODST

Diablo 4 is a game I like but like you said Subscription for most stuff I do have gamepass for 3 years, just trying to save money a bit a lot of games I want but so expensive for PS5 versions (even if they are £10-20 more) it builds up.

Is the OLED worth it or should I get second hand LCD?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Diablo 4 is a game I like but like you said Subscription for most stuff I do have gamepass for 3 years, just trying to save money a bit a lot of games I want but so expensive for PS5 versions (even if they are £10-20 more) it builds up.

Is the OLED worth it or should I get second hand LCD?

I'd buy the OLED again over LCD myself even though you can get pretty damn good deals on LCD second hand.

Top Bottom