• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t understand the general dislike for Windows PC handhelds. They are leagues above the Deck.

Ozriel

M$FT
As an owner of a Surface Pro 2, I can confirm that Microsoft has abandoned this product entirely. Windows 11 does not install on it without the workarounds to bypass the hardware checks, and there are no longer any drivers for the included WiFi module which were certified past Windows 8 compatibility. When Windows 10 updates end in 2025, my SP2 will become a doorstop.

You understood my comparison first person. Surface Pro 2 was a rather large risk for MS and certainly not a cheap tablet. However, that's just it right there...not even halfway into the life of the tablet and you've got issues with compatibility, drivers and keeping it up-to-date.

Surface Pro 2 was released in 2013. Thats a decade ago. Not sure what you mean by “not into half of the life of the device”. The MacBook Air 2013 doesn’t get OS or security updates either.

People defending the Windows handhelds really tell the tale about how browbeaten consumers have become.

"Who cares if the battery life is terrible or if the SD card slot is basically useless because of thermal problems which destroy it in a matter of days or weeks!"

"Who cares if the software is pure fucking garbage!"

"Who cares if I have to lower the resolution or run at a lower TDP, thus making any gains over the Steam Deck completely null and void!"

I owned the Ally for less than a week and sent it packing. I owned the Legion Go for two days and also sent it packing. These Windows handhelds are a disaster and will continue to be until Microsoft makes a custom version of Windows for them.

Microsoft or Windows isn’t why the Ally shipped with a relatively small battery for the SoC they used, or why the SD reader fried MicroSD cards. It’s not the reason why the launch versions of the Legion Go and Ally had bugs in Legion Space or Armory Crate. Or why AMDs drivers for the Z1 Extreme came in hot.

IIRC, SteamDeck launched in a buggy state too, and took updates to get into shape. Even when I finally received my waitlisted LCD Deck months after release, it killed two MicroSD cards while formatting and I had to wade into Desktop mode to fix using Konsole.

Running games at 800p on the Legion Go doesn’t negate every advantage it has over the LCD Deck. That just doesn’t make any sense since you’re getting better performance and a much better display.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You spend way more. Waaaaaaay more.

free money GIF

Not to mention playing on ancient hardware with worse ergonomics and a smaller screen.
There's no win here for switch other than getting to play Nintendo exclusives, that's it.

Tams

Not to mention playing on ancient hardware with worse ergonomics and a smaller screen.
There's no win here for switch other than getting to play Nintendo exclusives, that's it.

The Switch is considerably more portable and has better battery life.

There are also some third-party games that make use of the detachable controllers.

THE DUCK

The Switch is considerably more portable and has better battery life.

There are also some third-party games that make use of the detachable controllers.

Does not have better battery life, they are similar if you run the game at lower settings and it will still look better than the switch ports.

Neither device is pocketable, a slight edge to the switch. Both are portable.

Playing games on a 7" screen with detachable controllers is for commercials and not real life fir 99.5% of owners.

One actual advantage for switch not mentioned - the dock is included

Klosshufvud

65 whr battery life? Steam Deck OLED has 50 whr. Rog Ally has 40. Lenovo Legion Go has 49.2. Are you sure you are not referring to 65 watt fast charging?

Steam Deck is "inferior" in performance and game compatibility. Steam Deck OLED is superior in screen quality and battery life. Legion Go has superior screen size to SD while the OLED is larger than Rog Ally. All these handhelds have pros and cons.
I use a Chinese 7840U handheld with 65Whr battery and 8' 1200p display. You pay more sure but it's a transformative experience going from Steam Deck.

You'd buy a HDTV without HDR these days? No? So why buy a handheld without HDR. And if you can have an OLED screen with HDR to boot.

What's the point of having the world's fastest handheld if it's not even HDR. All new games use HDR and for good reason, so why wouldn't you want your handheld to have the same great colors that you get playing off a PS5 etc?

Steam OS is great for SP Steam games (there's thousands and thousands), emulation (thousands and thousands again), and both PC and PS5 streaming in HDR (again thousands and thousands of games).
Ridiculous argument IMO. HDR has never been a true game changer. I don't even bother enabling it on my monitor most of the time. I'd much rather have VRR or higher resolutions.

Minsc

Gold Member
The only thing that is really more "console like" on Steam Deck is the OS overlay which simplifies a lot of things. But exit that and go to desktop and you have every bit a full open operating system to do what you will with. That's very much still a PC centric experience.

It's way better though, no console lets you set refresh rates (for better battery), change icons and customize like the Deck, you get the best of both worlds.

Why would it look better than a expensive 4k oled tv. That doesnt make any sense.

Well not everyone has an expensive OLED HDTV and the HDR on the Deck is bright as hell, so for someone without an OLED HDTV w/ HDR it definitely could. But that is what many people feel, and reviewers have said similar.

I use a Chinese 7840U handheld with 65Whr battery and 8' 1200p display. You pay more sure but it's a transformative experience going from Steam Deck.

Ridiculous argument IMO. HDR has never been a true game changer. I don't even bother enabling it on my monitor most of the time. I'd much rather have VRR or higher resolutions.

Your monitor most likely has shitty HDR, most do. HDR is a game changer for sure, and immediately noticeable on games that support it properly. Plus the OLED screen on the Deck is far better than anything on the competition. For me the OLED upgrade is the most noticeable visual upgrade you can do on a handheld, case and point Switch vs OLED Switch. But the Deck is even one better still, with the HDR on top of the OLED screen.

But you're definitely an outliner IMO if you believe HDR isn't that great. Go in to any new PS5 game thread and try to say that and you'll get corrected pretty quick.

Last edited:

hinch7

Cool. What brand is it?
I'm assuming this one AOKZOE A1 Pro. A $999 handheld. Of course its going to offer better specs.. its over double the price for a base Steam Deck and nearly double the OLED.

The battery life seems okay, as with performance but the handheld looks to be rather mid everywhere else. Better off with an ROG Ally if people want a quality Windows handheld.

Topher

Gold Member
Why is Switch even being brought up? The games that people typically buy Switch for are completely different than the games people play on PC handhelds. Switch and Steam Deck are not interchangeable experiences.

It's way better though, no console lets you set refresh rates (for better battery), change icons and customize like the Deck, you get the best of both worlds.

I agree. Console gamers need to stop chiming in as if there is some sort of "gotcha" as far as Steam Deck for PC gamers. It's silly.

Fabieter

Well not everyone has an expensive OLED HDTV and the HDR on the Deck is bright as hell, so for someone without an OLED HDTV w/ HDR it definitely could. But that is what many people feel, and reviewers have said similar.

Your monitor most likely has shitty HDR, most do. HDR is a game changer for sure, and immediately noticeable on games that support it properly. Plus the OLED screen on the Deck is far better than anything on the competition. For me the OLED upgrade is the most noticeable visual upgrade you can do on a handheld, case and point Switch vs OLED Switch. But the Deck is even one better still, with the HDR on top of the OLED screen.

But you're definitely an outliner IMO if you believe HDR isn't that great. Go in to any new PS5 game thread and try to say that and you'll get corrected pretty quick.

The Steam oled peaks at 1000 nits. QD oleds has like double that number and good qleds have also peak brightness over 2000 nits. Not saying its bad or anything but this is cap.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm assuming this one AOKZOE A1 Pro. A $999 handheld. Of course its going to offer better specs.. its over double the price for a base Steam Deck and nearly double the OLED.

The battery life seems okay, as with performance but the handheld looks to be rather mid everywhere else. Better off with an ROG Ally if people want a quality Windows handheld.

Here again, is my biggest problem with Windows handhelds. That review calls the device's software "clunky". Every device manufacturer having to do their own thing.

jeJkNthJmqofyNkdFZRtTN-1200-80.png.webp

When Valve releases their OS for other handhelds to use, I would not be surprised if Windows versions simply vanished. The time, effort and money having to make customized software will no longer be required for the most part. Microsoft would do well to get moving on a handheld gaming version of Windows.

hinch7

Here again, is my biggest problem with Windows handhelds. That review calls the device's software "clunky". Every device manufacturer having to do their own thing.

When Valve releases their OS for other handhelds to use, I would not be surprised if Windows versions simply vanished. The time, effort and money having to make customized software will no longer be required for the most part. Microsoft would do well to get moving on a handheld gaming version of Windows.
Yeah it'll be a PITA for them to make and keep supporting it. Especially if Windows or updates break things. That and drivers. While I would put more stock in ASUS supporting a device with drivers etc years after I wouldn't trust a no-name manufacterer to keep a device up to date. Especially if purchased abroad. At least with big manufacters you may a good few years of big updates. With Valve products you know it get good support, especially seeing as they've got their own ecosystem and OS going.

Last edited:

TwinB242

I don't get the hate either. Booting up my ally and launching games through armory crate takes no effort whatsoever, but somehow people act like you need to be a hardcore tech enthusiast or Windows expert to get everything configured or working properly, and those comments just leave me scratching my head....

Klosshufvud

Why even use these shitty software launchers? I just launch everything from desktop. Works great. The software with TDP/fan control/resolution works great. That's all I need. I don't need everything in one launcher. I just put every game I want on the desktop.

Topher

Gold Member
Why even use these shitty software launchers? I just launch everything from desktop. Works great. The software with TDP/fan control/resolution works great. That's all I need. I don't need everything in one launcher. I just put every game I want on the desktop.

I prefer having quick access to the game library using the device buttons. If launching from Windows desktop works for you then that's cool.

I don't get the hate either. Booting up my ally and launching games through armory crate takes no effort whatsoever, but somehow people act like you need to be a hardcore tech enthusiast or Windows expert to get everything configured or working properly, and those comments just leave me scratching my head....

I liked Armoury Crate. Especially how it automatically added games to its launcher regardless of whether they were Steam, GOG, Epic, Windows, etc.

Ozriel

M$FT

But you can do all that on the ROG Ally, for example.

I liked Armoury Crate. Especially how it automatically added games to its launcher regardless of whether they were Steam, GOG, Epic, Windows, etc.

It’s actually more ‘plug and play’ than the Deck in this regard, if we’re being honest.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Depends what you're doing with it. About the only native app I start on my computer is steam. I guess open office, sometimes. I've used OBS two or three times. Basic stuff. Everything else is done through a browser. Couldn't be much easier or less tinkering, really. If my wife buys a computer she'll have me delete Windows and install Linux and all she cares about is easy.

Strangely, the way Linux shuts down so fast seems to be a big deal to her. She hates how windows spins a little circle while it's shutting down. I'm like dude just walk away... She asks for mint every time and likes that new versions don't seem that new.
Problem is gaming is hardly easy on Linux. What you do about games launchers( from Ubisoft and rockstar)? And DRM? And game pass?

Ozriel

M$FT
Problem is gaming is hardly easy on Linux. What you do about games launchers( from Ubisoft and rockstar)? And DRM? And game pass?

It’s in a much much better space these days with Proton, and works relatively well with most Steam games. Some significant omissions exist, including popular stuff like FiFA, Destiny 2 and some COD. Others send you down rabbit holes of winetricks and config stuff.

Not my jam, but lots of people are very happy with the state of gaming on Linux these days.

Gamepass won’t work natively. But most other store launchers will.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just re-read it and yeah, I misunderstood. I owe Minsc Minsc an apology

No worries, my main issues with Ally are:

No OLED/HDR (for me this is a fairly big point)
No SD card (unless that's been truly fixed)
Doesn't work very well with their eGPU dock/solution. I thought that was pretty cool actually that you can run it w/ a 4000-series GPU docked and get great performance, but all impressions I've read have been pretty terrible in terms of being able to switch between docked and undocked and the reliability of the eGPU they offer in general seems questionable.

But it does have a good number of pluses and the second generation of it may be something I move to if there's nothing else before then. I'm not opposed to a Windows Handheld, but obviously I think there could be improvements. I'd definitely find a way to make it a docked/hybrid experience when I do. I came pretty close with the Ally, even ordered one then cancelled it later.

Topher

Gold Member

Game Pass is strictly limited to streaming on Linux, but apps like heroic launcher helps make most everything else fairly easy. Don't think it has every launcher under the sun, but the coverage is pretty good.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
As someone with both Steam OS and Windows 11 on my Deck, I can understand the dislike if they don't have touch screen or track pads. Other than that, just talking out of their asses about Windows on those handhelds.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Game Pass is strictly limited to streaming on Linux, but apps like heroic launcher helps make most everything else fairly easy. Don't think it has every launcher under the sun, but the coverage is pretty good.

While I installed Diablo 4 on the Deck via a launcher through Bnet launcher fairly painlessly, I definitely feel the experience on the Deck is best when kept within Steam/EmuDeck. I definitely would modify my game selection on the Deck to favor games with Steam versions myself, and leave the trickier stuff to my PC to stream or play on a different device.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Surface Pro 2 was released in 2013. Thats a decade ago. Not sure what you mean by “not into half of the life of the device”. The MacBook Air 2013 doesn’t get OS or security updates either.

Microsoft or Windows isn’t why the Ally shipped with a relatively small battery for the SoC they used, or why the SD reader fried MicroSD cards. It’s not the reason why the launch versions of the Legion Go and Ally had bugs in Legion Space or Armory Crate. Or why AMDs drivers for the Z1 Extreme came in hot.

IIRC, SteamDeck launched in a buggy state too, and took updates to get into shape. Even when I finally received my waitlisted LCD Deck months after release, it killed two MicroSD cards while formatting and I had to wade into Desktop mode to fix using Konsole.

Running games at 800p on the Legion Go doesn’t negate every advantage it has over the LCD Deck. That just doesn’t make any sense since you’re getting better performance and a much better display.
Not so great then as it'll become a doorstop all the sooner.

Jooxed

Gold Member
As someone who owned a steam deck and sold it due to battery life and how loud it was, got a rog ally and sold it because of the 1 hour battery life then got a legion go loved it but ultimately went back to the steam deck oled, its just easier. It feels more like a gaming experience. I didnt like the feel of windows. SteamOS is a great tool. plus the oled fixed everything I didnt like about the original. Legion Go is a close second though, really liked mine and lenovo CS was fantastic. They made weekly posts on reddit about what they were working on and provided quick updates.

Crayon

Nothing. I just use steam and the only issue is the games that arbitrarily block Linux from anti-cheat, which is hardly a matter of the os being easy or hard to use.

That's why I said it depends on what you are trying to do with it. Your original point was that Linux requires more tinkering, but now you are talking about trying to run stuff that doesn't support Linux in the first place. Do you warn Mac buyers of all this tinkering they are going to do to use game pass?

I think it needs a decent handheld UI.

Anecdotally if Windows 8 were more successful, potentially handheld interface for Windows would be better.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nothing. I just use steam and the only issue is the games that arbitrarily block Linux from anti-cheat, which is hardly a matter of the os being easy or hard to use.

That's why I said it depends on what you are trying to do with it. Your original point was that Linux requires more tinkering, but now you are talking about trying to run stuff that doesn't support Linux in the first place. Do you warn Mac buyers of all this tinkering they are going to do to use game pass?

Weird point to make. ‘PC gaming’ isn’t just Steam. And his point was not just about whether or not the OS is easy to use, but also about compatibility with software explicitly developed to run on Windows.

And Mac buyers have been consistently told that it certainly isn’t the best platform for PC gaming.

Last edited:

Kaleinc

Banned
Windows device will probably boot you in the middle of the game to update and restart.

"But, but I haven't saved progress yet" - "Fuck you, we be updating"

Crayon

Weird point to make. ‘PC gaming’ isn’t just Steam. And his point was not just about whether or not the OS is easy to use, but also about compatibility with software explicitly developed to run on Windows.

And Mac buyers have been consistently told that it certainly isn’t the best platform for PC gaming.

His point was not clear then. This is the original claim:

I daily drive Linux and can't fucking believe people saying it requires less tinkering using Linux vs windows with a straight face.

If the point is that Windows is more widely compatible with Windows software than Linux is, then I agree.

I'm glad you bring up Mac users being told that Windows is better for gaming, though. That's a great example because they don't need to be told but they get told it all the time anyway.

Minsc

Gold Member
I guess the counter-argument is it certainly is possible to find Steam OS or Mac OS or whatever better for gaming than Windows, if the selection of games you play does not create issues.

Like compatibility aside, the overall usefulness and design/power use of Steam OS as a handheld console is certainly more in line with how some people would prefer to experience a handheld.

Crayon

I guess the counter-argument is it certainly is possible to find Steam OS or Mac OS or whatever better for gaming than Windows, if the selection of games you play does not create issues.

Like compatibility aside, the overall usefulness and design/power use of Steam OS as a handheld console is certainly more in line with how some people would prefer to experience a handheld.

It absolutely depends on your use case. Another way to look at it is to take all the things your OS *can* do, and consider the things you don't even bother with. On linux, I can also Play emulators, source ports, and select other launchers with ease, but I really don't care. It's just my use case. I love retro games but I've always used my hardware collection to play them. I have a more limited selection of video editing tools, but I have done it on rare occasions using what is available. It was easy enough, but it's so uncommon for me to do that if the computer didn't do it all I wouldn't care.

So, exactly what you're saying there. If you're trying to run a handheld and you want sleep mode and a pretty minimal interface it's easy to see. You want the updates to fly by as fast as possible, you want to be able to sleep in and operate everything with the controller. If all that is more important than the stuff that doesn't run, then you might find it better. The people preferring it for that case in here are clearly not going into areas that turn into a headache. If they were, it would be different and maybe Windows would be easier, despite those downsides on the handheld.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The Windows handhelds are based on what people think they want, you can see the influence from the marketing department on each. The Deck is built around how the machine will actually be used and designed by people who have a more thorough understanding of PC gamers than anybody else. See trackpads, balance between horsepower and battery life. People who do not have a good understanding of design think they want a Windows machine.

The lack of reliable sleep function alone is a deal breaker on a handheld. Everybody I know who went Windows ended up turning around and buying Deck. Until sleep happens on one of these things they are just a complete non-starter.
Sleep works fine on the Ally. ASUS also did pretty good job with hibernate if you want that. Where issues lie if you sleep the device with game running.

But realistically it takes a few sec to get into the game so it’s not as huge as a deal as it appears. That said I greatly prefer SteamOS on my Deck vs Windows.

Crayon

Sleep works fine on the Ally. ASUS also did pretty good job with hibernate if you want that. Where issues lie if you sleep the device with game running.

But realistically it takes a few sec to get into the game so it’s not as huge as a deal as it appears. That said I greatly prefer SteamOS on my Deck vs Windows.

Oh for a second there I thought you meant asus managed to make the sleep work mid game! I was about to give them a standing ovation lol. Sleeping with a game running is the real trick.

StereoVsn

Oh for a second there I thought you meant asus managed to make the sleep work mid game! I was about to give them a standing ovation lol. Sleeping with a game running is the real trick.
Well, admittedly I haven’t tried. Will give it a shot on some SP games.

But ASUS (after a ton of updates) has a damn good sleep solution for a Windows device overall. Every other Windows laptop couldn’t get even that much done including ones from ASUS, lol.

Minsc

Gold Member

This is pretty much how I treat all consoles/handhelds. I have a Switch (one docked & another portable), PS5, Deck, and 3DS (and a few others I don't use much at all), every single one of them has a game suspended so it's instantly ready to play, right at this very moment.

On my PC & laptop which both run Windows I do not do this, and to play anything I need to start them up from the beginning. Something like Pinball Arcade where I just want to jump in for a quick game - easily takes 20+ seconds to get through the loading/title screens table selection and so forth. Vs less than a second if I just could always leave it running.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The ability to actually play Nintendo games online (even if it's the paid online junk) is a major advantage for people who are invested in their online franchises. Like me who played a lot of Smash, Tetris 99, and Splatoon back when I owned mine. F-Zero 99 was really tempting for me.

Emulation will not be able to support online play for a long, long time. And if it gets there soon, it won't be without consequences from Nintendo.

Calverz

Iv had a steam deck for quite a while now and I think I’m done with it. I’m sick of not being able to play gamepass and other launchers without bullshit or compromises. I want to play cod etc without worrying about anti cheat. I also want more power. I nearly bought an ally but went back up in price. I might bite once they come down.

Calverz

Just because they are popular games it doesn't mean they are well suited to a handheld, nor does it mean that the audience that is buying these types of devices are demanding the ability to play them. How is it that the Switch has done so well then?

These were the most played games on the deck last year:

• Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Dave the Diver
  • Elden Ring
  • Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Half-Life
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Starfield
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Vampire Survivors
Not seeing much there that is similar to COD, Destiny, or even FIFA. Maybe, just maybe, the demographic and the audience for these devices is a bit different to what you and the OP are assuming?

Regarding the trackpad, the nature of the windows OS makes it a necessity for ease of navigation in the OS to even get to your games/launcher. The trackpad is also useful for games that don't have controller support. By default, SteamOS is set up in a way that most people will never even need to use a trackpad but they are included. To make matters worse, even in games that would usually require use of the trackpad due to lack of controller support there's usually a community controller profile that enables you to use everything but the trackpads if you wish. It's all deeply ironic.

The windows devices tend to be poorly thought out, especially from a user experience perspective, and many of them are jumping on the bandwagon and attempting to capitalise on the popularity of the Steam Deck rather than offering anything meaningful in the way of innovation.

The moment SteamOS is fully available for devices other than the deck it's pretty likely we will stop seeing these devices shipping with Windows. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Joke post?

Chiggs

The setup for my ROG Ally was a disaster. Here's a play by play of how it went.
  • I opened the box and turned the unit on
  • Windows updater launched first, so I updated that.
  • Restart
  • I open up Armory Crate - launch video plays
  • Alert - You've got critical updates to make.
  • I go to select them, but the controls fail...so I used the touchscreen
  • Restart system as prompted.
  • Windows says: Hey! You need to login with your Microsoft ID to take advantage of Game Pass
  • I log in with my Microsoft ID and create a pin for the device, per the recommendations
  • I load up Armory Crate - Hey, you've got more updates and some bios updates to do.
  • I go to select the updates and notice that the controls still aren't working, so I used the touchscreen.
  • Restart Windows as prompted.
  • Windows: Hey, your pin cannot be used; you need to reset your Microsoft account.
  • I reset my Microsoft account and create another pin and log in.
  • I load up Armory Crate. Hey, you've got another bios update and some more general updates.
  • I go to update and notice that--hallelujah--the controls now work.
  • Restart system as prompted.
  • Windows: Hey, your pin cannot be used; you need to reset your Microsoft account.
  • I reset my Microsoft account and create another pin and log in.
  • I load up Armory Crate. Hey, you've got some more updates.
  • I go to update and the controls now don't work, so I used the touchscreen.
  • Restart the system as prompted.
  • My pin surprisingly still works and I go right into Windows.
  • Controls are also functional once again.
  • I load up Armory Crate and play my first game, which admittedly does look very nice on the VRR screen.
Sorry, man...people have problems just like this with the unit, and I know that because I went to Reddit just like every other swingin' dick and I saw the same stuff there as I saw on my unit.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

All these posts about COD when there's several reports about getting banned by activision for playing that very same game on ally/go.

I wouldn't even chance it anyway.

THE DUCK

The ability to actually play Nintendo games online (even if it's the paid online junk) is a major advantage for people who are invested in their online franchises. Like me who played a lot of Smash, Tetris 99, and Splatoon back when I owned mine. F-Zero 99 was really tempting for me.

Emulation will not be able to support online play for a long, long time. And if it gets there soon, it won't be without consequences from Nintendo.

I suppose for some, I have never spent a minute online on a nintendo machine since they don't proporly support online play. The using an app just to talk and invite people which if fundamental to playing with friends, something standard on other systems like 20 years ago, thing is crap.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
All these posts about COD when there's several reports about getting banned by activision for playing that very same game on ally/go.

I wouldn't even chance it anyway.
yep lol. Older COD games are still playable on Deck. Buy any of the Black Ops games and play that on Deck, problem solved.

TaroYamada

Sleep with the game running is precisely what I'm referring to and it's a massive deal in the handheld space.

Top Bottom