• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Industry fights back as YouTube begins mass cull of game videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rising number of games publishers and developers are offering help to YouTube users affected by a sudden and sweeping cull of their videos.

Ubisoft, Capcom, Blizzard and Deep Silver pledge to resolve automatic copyright blocks.
Since Monday, numerous video game presenters on YouTube have been notified of strikes on their channel, as website owner Google implements a tougher new technology that auto-detects content in breach of copyright. If content is flagged by the new technology, any further revenue made from the videos will be redirected to the copyright owner and not the content creator - effectively culling the entrepreneurial business of YouTube.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...k-as-youtube-begins-mass-cull-of-game-videos/

any further revenue made from the videos will be redirected to the copyright owner and not the content creator

Wait. I thought it deleted them.

So you can still have the videos up as long as they are taking the money or if it isn't monetized?

I can't seem to get a clear answer on this. Some people say it's just monetized vids, and others tell me it's all vids :/

Mindlog

Good on them. Hell I'll freely admit to throwing some blame at publishers. I'm happy to be wrong about that. To see that they're speaking up even when it's two third parties arguing over revenues is impressive.

Kudos where due.

Mesoian

Since Monday, numerous video game presenters on YouTube have been notified of strikes on their channel, as website owner Google implements a tougher new technology that auto-detects content in breach of copyright. If content is flagged by the new technology, any further revenue made from the videos will be redirected to the copyright owner and not the content creator - effectively culling the entrepreneurial business of YouTube.

...that doesn't solve the problem.

It, in fact, makes it far worse.

Wait. I thought it deleted them.

So you can still have the videos up as long as they are taking the money or if it isn't monetized?

I can't seem to get a clear answer on this. Some people say it's just monetized vids, and others tell me it's all vids :/

All of the videos are getting hit with Copyright Infringement notices, not a Copyright Takedown. What this means is there is no penalty to the owner's channel. The video is monetized and the copyright claimant gets the ad revenue cut instead of the uploader. The videos may also be blocked in certain parts of the world, but it remains on the account with no punishment to the uploader.

For example, some videos I upload get hit with Content ID matches immediately after upload. This means I can't monetize them, but Google is still going to place ads on them. Whatever entity owns the content that got matched gets the ad revenue split, not me. But my channel is not punished for uploading the video.

Madness

The videos aren't being "culled" or "deleted". They're just prevented from being monetized by people who don't hold the copyright. I'm not taking any sides, just stating that the videos remain in place, but all the revenue no longer goes to those who uploaded the video.

Jedi2016

The part I don't understand is the YT is apparently doing this "on behalf" of companies that don't view these videos as violations. If Ubisoft is okay with me posting a video of Assassin's Creed, then who the fuck is YouTube to say I can't?

Mesoian

The part I don't understand is the YT is apparently doing this "on behalf" of companies that don't view these videos as violations. If Ubisoft is okay with me posting a video of Assassin's Creed, then who the fuck is YouTube to say I can't?

The middleman.

All of the videos are getting hit with Copyright Infringement notices, not a Copyright Takedown. What this means is there is no penalty to the owner's channel. The video is monetized and the copyright claimant gets the ad revenue cut instead of the uploader. The videos may also be blocked in certain parts of the world, but it remains on the account with no punishment to the uploader.

Ahh, thanks for clearing it up :)

While that sucks for people who do it as a job, I'm glad that people like me should be safe, as long as we don't monetize our vids.

This is steaming largely from third party copyright holders trying to lay claims to licensed in game assets if my understanding is correct.

For example, some videos I upload get hit with Content ID matches immediately after upload. This means I can't monetize them, but Google is still going to place ads on them. Whatever entity owns the content that got matched gets the ad revenue split, not me. But my channel is not punished for uploading the video.

If your content is in there (ie, your commentary), isnt that theft?

Theyre making money off your work.

Ahh, thanks for clearing it up :)

While that sucks for people who do it as a job, I'm glad that people like me should be safe, as long as we don't monetize our vids.

If you have no interest in monetizing your videos, this will not affect you at all. This is affecting channels that used to be protected from this that are no longer protected.

You don't consider loss of income to be a punishment?

What I meant was strictly disciplinary punishment in terms of account standing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

They have to get permission otherwise YT gets sued out the ass

It is exclusionary not inclusionary.

It seems that quite a few of the claims belong to companies that are not related to any of the content in question or tangentially related to the company owning the content they are making a claim for. Some are making claims for companies that no longer exist and some are making claims for things they have absolutely no rights to (Persona/Russian actress plus some others I cannot remember at the moment).

This is all from that Sessler youtube stream the other day where they brought a number of people on to talk about the issue.

It seems Google essentially flipped the switch, stood back with their hands up and said "you guys fight it out" while at the same time not addressing the fact that the tools they provide to do this are incredibly inefficient and unresponsive.

Mesoian

Exactly, this is the opposite of what the major claim was yesterday. Now contentID claimers are stealing money from people using the content.

Wow...this is...if you're doing long term shows for money using advertising monetization, there is, quite literally, zero reason to keep using youtube if that's true.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Begun the stream wars have.

starwars2_clip25.jpg

Madness

Not really, since they didn't force you to use their copyrighted works in your video. And if you believe it is theft, read what you just wrote.

"If your content is in there (ie, your commentary), isnt that theft?", replace commentary with licensed music or cutscenes, isn't it the same thing then? You're making money off of their work.

You have to remember, this has been a wide net that was cast, some people barely had a few clips from the game or a few seconds of music and it was all commentary or advice, while others were pure cutscenes thrown up with no commentary, monetized by ads. Some people have uploaded endings, and monetized them with no commentary.

Another problem has been, that it's usually another company that has nothing to do with the video, making the claim. Some obscure record label, some obscure licensing company etc. Will really be interesting to see the aftermath of all of this.

atomsk

Party Pooper
The fact that content ID claims are going out from THQ is further proof of a broken system (and on WWE 2k14 which wasn't even them!)

It's nice to see Devolver Digital ripping on CDBaby on twitter about who actually owns the Hotline Miami music.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's needed is better copyright law

That, too, but YouTube's embarrassing behavior and shitty detection software have little to do with the current copyright law.

News Bot

Banned
There's been a few times where YouTube has withheld what the copyright claims are actually about, only giving me the name of the company that filed the claim, usually having bizarre and completely unknown names that turn out to be somehow third-party linked to video game music publishers.

The whole thing is pretty shitty.

Jobbs

Banned
I must say I'm a bit amused by the dramatics and "the world is burning" attitude of some of these youtube personalities. TB is the first video on the subject I saw that seemed rational and didn't resort to hair on fire hysterionics. This will blow over after a short while; This can't possibly last. If it does last, sure, light the hair on fire. "Angry Joe" almost had tears running down his face after a day of losing revenue on a couple of his videos. C'mon, man, chill. I'm sure you'll make rent.

More proof of content ID's defectiveness https://twitter.com/Duke_Bilgewater/status/411251475839324161
A copyright claim for a song that is not even in that video!

I uploaded an LP of Silent Hill 2 over a year ago. A few weeks ago, one of them got a strange Content ID claim from something called INgrooves. It said there was a song identified called "Suntribe-Deep Melodies (Psychosocial Remix)" that is pinponted right when the cutscene starts of James finding Eddie in the prison.

So even though it's a totally incorrect claim, INgrooves is now getting ad revenue from my video because they have 30 days to address my dispute. Even though I dispute it, they still get ad revenue during the period. The whole system is fucking lame.

Yakumo

Banned
I'm not sure this is the right thread but I couldn't find any other thread for YouTube game videos so.....

Anyway, I've been producing game videos for about 6 years now if not longer and have never had any real issues with YouTube apart from Konami having one of my behind closed doors PS3 tech demo videos of Meta Gear taken off YouTube :(

I currently do 2 shows being Retro Core 4, which features 2 or 3 games each show and battle of the Ports, which takes a look at various arcade ports / conversions to home formats.

Latest Battle of the Ports - Galaxy Force II - http://youtu.be/oHKqC3KYiyI

Latest Retro Core 4 - http://youtu.be/TKGQm_y-HMM

My YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/Yakumo1975

I'm not sure this is the right thread but I couldn't find any other thread for YouTube game videos so.....

Anyway, I've been producing game videos for about 6 years now if not longer and have never had any real issues with YouTube apart from Konami having one of my behind closed doors PS3 tech demo videos of Meta Gear taken off YouTube :(

I currently do 2 shows being Retro Core 4, which features 2 or 3 games each show and battle of the Ports, which takes a look at various arcade ports / conversions to home formats.

Latest Battle of the Ports - Galaxy Force II - http://youtu.be/oHKqC3KYiyI

Latest Retro Core 4 - http://youtu.be/TKGQm_y-HMM

My YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/Yakumo1975
Self advertizing is kind of a no-no here I think, except for that thread linked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom