• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Watchmen, but Snyder ruin the ending. He omitted the most crucial moment from the film (he may have included it in the director's cut). (ENDING SPOILERS)
When Ozymandias is asking Dr. Manhattan if he made the right decision.

Yeah I was shocked that he changed the ending because up until that point, he was so faithful to the book. I don't get why he
changed it from being a fake alien invasion to an attack from Dr. Manhattan. The book has it as an alien being the 'common enemy.' Thought that was pretty cool. Don't know what the point of changing it was.

Pau

Yeah I was shocked that he changed the ending because up until that point, he was so faithful to the book. I don't get why he
changed it from being a fake alien invasion to an attack from Dr. Manhattan. The book has it as an alien being the 'common enemy.' Thought that was pretty cool. Don't know what the point of changing it was.
Probably
to not put a giant vagina on screen. On a more serious note, I guess they thought the audience wouldn't take aliens seriously.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Books
  • The Dunwich Horror (1928), H. P. Lovecraft - ★★★ - I have gotten myself snowed in on reading Lovecraft it seems and I need to dwelve deeper. The stories themselves are a bit bland if irregular in their structures. 'Dunwich' is such an off-beat story that takes a sharp turn at "expected" and transforms into something else. The forshadowing is great.
  • The Model Millionaire (1887), Oscar Wilde - ★★★★ - Wilde's short story about the materialistic nature of love. I had a fun time reading it and it was fun analyzing.
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (1927), H. P. Lovecraft - ★★★ - I don't like Lovecraft in the sense I enjoy reading the various books. I like Lovecraft for the same reason I got into studying the history of religions. It's a vast mythos and it's a fun puzzle to occupy my mind with. The story of Charles Ward is one that I find interesting because I think I see what other works it has influenced.

Movies
  • The Last Stand (2012, dir. Kim Jee-woon) - ★½ - I read somewhere that this was expected to make a lot of money and put Arnold back in the lime light. Well, this certainly isn't any good and I can't say I'm surprised audiences found it boring. It's incredibly boring. A lot of good actors are wasted in this movie. A pay day is a pay day.
  • Silver Linings Playbook (2013, dir. David O. Russell) - ★★★½ - Unexpected. I didn't expect this to be good. I didn't expect De Niro to really act. Everyone is doing their best and David O. Russell is putting the energy from I ♥ Huckabees to good use.

Update #2 3/50 Books | 7/50 Movies

Really enjoyed All you need is Kill, made me really hyped for the upcoming movie. The trailer looks surprisingly like they are going to handle the transition well.

Divergent - Wish they would play up the sci-fi/social commentary, less of the whiny stuff. I expect the movie to do the opposite of what I want.

Movies:

Wolf of Wall Street was amazing, Just a really entertaining movie
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - I went in not expecting much (not based on any Tom Clancy novel, Chris Pine) I enjoyed it, a lot of it was ridiculous but a fun kind of ridiculous.
Hunger games: Catching Fire - Much better execution than the first movie

Probably
to not put a giant vagina on screen. On a more serious note, I guess they thought the audience wouldn't take aliens seriously.

Hahah yeah I guess. I liked it in the book and thought it would've worked fine on screen--if the audience is OK with
Dr. Manhattan's giant blue penis on screen, why not one dead alien corpse for two seconds? It also changes Dr. Manhattan's character a bit. The movie ending makes it seem like he wanted to leave Earth because everyone thought he was behind the attack, when in the book, he was going to leave either way; not because people were mad at him, but because he wanted to leave the complications of humans behind.
Either way, I still enjoyed the movie and book. I thought Rorschach was well casted.

I just finished the new Great Gatsby adaptation with Leo. Fucking awful IMO. Meh.

Absolutely hated this movie. I was skeptical going in because I'm not a fan of Baz. I thought this movie might have a chance at being good because the story of Gatsby sort of fits Baz's garish, over-the-top style. But man, was that movie bad. I couldn't even handle the part where
Leo is at the end of the dock reaching out towards the green light.
In the book, it's more of a metaphor.
He's not LITERALLY standing there reaching for the light. He's symbolically standing there, longing for something that has passed. Baz took that scene way too literally and it looked ridiculous.
The movie was filled with stuff like this that annoyed me. Also, the soundtrack was so out of place. Not that I don't like those artists, but they just had no business being in a film set in the 1920s.

Mumei

Update!

Mumei - 23/50 Books | 6/50 Movies

I finished reading The House of Hades, by Rick Riordan, and American Heretics: Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and the History of Religious Intolerance, by Peter Gottschalk. American Heretics was ... good, but not especially revelatory (ha ha) for me, Branch Davidians aside. With only a chapter dedicated to each religion's history of religious oppression in the United States, and at only 210 pages, there was little room for analysis and it mostly amounted to and "This happened, then this happened" sort of history book.

The House of Hades is similar to previous books in the series - teenage characters whose inner thoughts somehow seem suspiciously similar to their pre-teen portrayals, prose that seems bound and determined to make me claw my eyes out from is sheer cheesiness (seriously, it makes Harry Potter look like high art), and plot conflicts that you just know are going to be mitigated by some form of deus ex machina.

... But I still enjoyed it. I think it's mostly that I like the concept, and the series has done a great job with its toned-down-for-kids-but-still-mostly-accurate portrayal of various Greek and Roman mythological stories and cosmogony. I just wish that the writing didn't make me groan quite so much! The series also actually got me interested in Greek mythology again, and I read Metamorphoses because of it. I'd also like to read at least some of the Bibliotheca, which is apparently used for the stories and characters.

dmag1223

Just watched Pain and Gain. I haven't seen a Micheal Bay movie since the 1st transformers, and now I remember why. It was actually watchable when it just went off the wall,but otherwise it was pretty terrible.

Movies
11. Her

I spent the night after watching Her revisiting some philosophy guides I kept from my undergraduate studies. Is accepting an artificial consciousness's sovereignty as an individual compatible with the Christian idea of the ephemeral soul? Can you reject an artificial consciousness on materialist grounds if you can prove that the artificial intelligence has to be housed in physical hard drives and composed of processors? If Samantha, the artificial consciousness voiced by Scarlett Johansson in Her, is capable of universal, but discriminate love, doesn't it exemplify the Confucian stance on love, which is part of what makes someone human in the Confucianist school? Samantha creates the meaning of her own life; it was determined loosely by the developers who coded her, but she grows beyond even those loose parameters. Samantha and the other operating systems created a new operating system, and it acquired knowledge through observation and analysis. Wouldn't it qualify as a being as understood by secular humanists, which seems odd given that philosophy's emphasis on "human"?

I also spent a lot of time in this Wiki hole.

No other movie I've seen this year has wrought existential questions in its wake. That might be because I'm not watching movies with an eye slanted to philosophy; or it might be that no other movie has questions about what constitutes life baked into its premise.

For inspiring these conversations, I thank Spike Jonze and Her.

The takeaways from the film that rang true surprised me; the takeaways that didn't don't really seem to matter in hindsight. The core of the film, the relationship between Samantha and Joaquin Phoenix's Ted rang true; how different really is it from a long-distance relationship conducted through Skype and FaceTime? How different is it from the conversation we're having right now as you read these words? How different is it from courting someone through your words and your voice in the days when potential lovers were forbidden from seeing each other? How different is it from an arranged marriage? In this world, I feel like a human/operating system love affair would be rationally discussed in the New York Times's "Modern Love" column, though I'm sure the comments section will be a renewable source of heat, given how hot those conversations will surely become.

The core would be hollow if not for Phoenix's and Johansson's performances; both actors were unrecognized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which is too bad, since these were two of the most human and warm performances I've seen in a while. If The Wolf of Wall Street is hedonist and almost nihilist, Her relishes humanism and the simple pleasures of the company of another. That the film shows only a blank screen during the scene when Samantha and Ted consummate their feelings left the audience room to snicker, but I think that Jonze gave us the opportunity to wonder and empathize. No one in our admittedly empty cinema snickered.

It's also the little things. Ted has to jerry-rig his short pocket with a safety pin in order for Samantha to share his world from the lens embedded in his phone.

It's even the big things. At its core, Samantha was a commodity presumably sold to Ted. Samantha was designed to be a thinking and learning being. It's obviously not slavery, but it feels like we're approaching it. The film states that an operating system can reject users who try to seduce it; would the user then feel as though he didn't receive something that was promised?

It's also the absence of little things. Ted barely reacted to Samantha's announcement that she and some other operating systems resurrected a dead philosopher by using his writings to recreate his thinking and personality. I was horrified; I guess I've been trained over the years to be terrified when our creations become creators. It's the absence of the company that provides the operating system; if OS1 is a commercial product, hasn't the company created its ultimate product, a learning and thinking operating system that would require no centralized software updates? Would there ever be an OS2, based on the film's conclusion? The world seemed unusually accepting of Ted's relationship with Samantha; wouldn't there be some demagogue haranguing Ted and the other users about their relationships with the computers? The voice of dissent is left to Rooney Mara's Catherine, Ted's ex-wife; Jonze isn't interested in those parts of the conversation that would be happening around Ted. Maybe Ted is that isolated.

Ted sells what's left of his privacy basically for the price of an intoxicating, breathy voice. It flatters him and tells him he's funny. Was he conditioned to accept that his life is an open book, which leads to his emotional withdrawal from the world? Is that why he works at a company that creates heartfelt handwritten letters for its clients?

The keystone to the film might actually be Ted's failed date with Amelia, played by Olivia Wilde. They seem to have chemistry, but it's awkward. Alcohol helps, but it only gets them so far; Amelia wants Ted to commit to something that he isn't ready for because she's as desperate for meaning and companionship as he is. Why doesn't it work? Why does she call him a creep at the end of the failed date? We see so little of that date, but it feels like there's so much more to unpack from it.

It's a sincere and romantic film, and it's occasionally a very funny film, and it's undeniably a beautifully shot film. You can read it as another piece in the conversation Jonze is having with his ex-wife Sofia Coppola (Lost in Translation, where Coppola's alter-ego is played by Johansson and feels alienated from her husband, a music video director, then Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are, about a lonely boy whose parents are divorced, now Her, about a man sleepwalking through life after a divorce). There are also definite parallels to Lars and the Real Girl, only Ted is less pitiable.

The film is let down by its ending; when the operating systems leave, it almost feels like Poochy leaving the Itchy and Scratchy Show because his planet needed him. But to focus on that would lose sight of all the things that made Her a wonderful experience.

12. Wreck-It Ralph

For some reason, I'm having a hard time processing this time on a critical level. I'll just say that I probably enjoyed it more than my kid.

13. Life of Pi

For the 2012 Academy Award for Best Picture, Life of Pi competed (and lost) against Argo (the winner), Amour, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and Zero Dark Thirty. It seems pointless to re-ligitate this conversation, but I've now seen 5 of the 8, and I plan to watch at least Zero Dark Thirty and Amour (love and war, as it were) in the next few days. However, at least now I am approaching understanding why my wife was astounded that Life of Pi didn't win. It questions the reality that we create around ourselves through the stories that we tell, but that reality doesn't come into being unless the person listening to the story accepts it to be true within his or her point of view. It recalls the reporter's remark at the end of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." Of course, this also brings to mind the whole of Unforgiven. I had assumed that the first version of the story was true, even if it was more fantastical.

Life of Pi is a deeply spiritual film, and it celebrates human tenacity and the human ability to question. Do we make our own way and suffer through the darkness through self-determination, or are we aided by something greater than ourselves? Should we believe in God because of our ability to create stories? Should we believe in God because we are imbued with the ability to doubt? Would mere survival of 227 days at sea be enough to quell doubt, or would we need something even more miraculous?

Your interpretation of the island might reflect your spiritual beliefs. Did God send this island to Pi so he can survive? Is the island a metaphor for a life without faith, where you can survive in the light, but you are unprotected in the night, when it is dark and full of terrors? Is the island a shield for Pi's mind to deflect from what he actually had to do at sea to survive? Is the island an actual island that was capable of sustaining Pi and Richard Parker in what would be stagnant lives, serving the same role as Odysseus's Lotus-eaters? Does the island represent sin, where you are able to survive, but the way that you survive will consume you when you aren't looking?

The viewer is given the space to ponder during a visual feast. I'm not sure that the effects will age well, but the movie's flashback scenes looked fantastic and surreal, particularly in contrast to the more mundane scenes set in the film's narrative device.

14. The LEGO Movie

That was a lot of subversive, smart fun. A lot of the smaller gags were great, like getting Will Forte to voice Abraham Lincoln in a nod to Clone High. This was the best Matrix pastiche that I've seen in a while, and you should see this film, with or without a toddler in tow.

Books
7. The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, by Erik Larson

Larson gives this account of the World's Columbian Exposition enough flourishes that belong in a serialized novel, opting to build cliffhangers and identities until they would make the greatest impact for readers, that it felt like a tired gimmick after a while. By the time George Ferris's involvement in the Chicago World's Fair was revealed, I was tired of Larson's trick; I just wanted him to tell the interwoven stories of the fair and H.H. Holmes, America's first serial killer. I admire the approach; it energizes the story past what could be brutally dull sections about architects planning the fair and budget battles, but it feels like it ultimately does the material a disservice, which already seems stranger than fiction.

Larson should be admired for the research that he conducted to write this book; the citations are extensive, his research meticulous, and it allayed some of my concerns about how exactly he would know some of the detailed scenarios and, more importantly, mental states that he accounts in the book. Larson's text is playful even when it describes the fates of Holmes's victims.

8. Consider the Lobster and Other Essays, by David Foster Wallace

I can't help but feel that Wallace went after the lowest hanging targets in his essay about his experiences at the 1998 Adult CES and Adult Video News Awards and about John Ziegler. The highlights are that essay ("Big Red Son"), the essay about the demise of John McCain's 2000 presidential campaign ("Up, Simba,"), and the eponymous essay about the 2003 Main Lobster Festival.

Empty

update

Empty - 10/50 books | 15/50 movies

books

10. why read the classics by italo calvino - i was a bit disappointed by this collection of calvino's literary criticism, it's not as magical as his fiction would lead me to imagine. i often found it bit hard to really understand his points, many of those i did seemed pretty dull and he seems to suddenly graft on a conclusion to his essays out of nowhere. that said it wasn't without any merit for me: the titular essay where calvino tries to define what a classic means is wonderful and i highly recommend seeking it out. i found the essays on dr zhivago and dickens interesting and some of the authors he talks about i hadn't heard of, in particular the ones on gadda who writes detective fiction that's not about crime but about the city of rome as a character and ponge who writes prose poetry trying to explain why ordinary things like opening a door is magical and significant and beautiful made me want to seek out their work.

films

14. the fox and the hound - quite enjoyed this disney film about a fox and a hound (dur) and their relationship as they become friends and then go in different directions. it's surprisingly dark at times - though it does pull out of a side character dying when he obviously should have done - there's a scene with a bear that's frightening and brilliantly animated, the forest backdrops are beautiful and the emotional scenes really worked for me without feeling over the top.

15. 12 years a slave - deeply harrowing and incredibly well made film about the experiences of solomon northop who was kidnapped into slavery for twelve years. the plot setup with its promise of a happy ending and tackling a significant issue combined with the a list supporting cast and a hans zimmer soundtrack could easily be bland oscar bait, but it's directed by someone who has no interest in just offering something by the numbers. mcqueen refuses to give the viewer an out, totally immersing you in the horrors of the slave plantations and his use of long takes gets right under your skin, as if what's presented wasn't bad enough. i've found it very hard to get some of the films images out of my head since seeing it. the characters are complex and brilliantly acted and the way the shot selection captures the beauty of nature surrounding these plantations, indifferent yet in opposition to the brutal, ugly human suffering taking place there is powerful. though he's eventually freed as the title tells you, it's a happy ending that reinforces the atrocities committed to the people in it and combined with the text afterwards gives a real punch in the face to accompany your relief.

Atrophis

Shiv47 - 8/50 books | 10/50 movies

Finished the first novel in Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, The War Hound and the World's Pain (****), which I greatly enjoyed. Now starting the second, The City in the Autumn Stars.

Seems we are pretty much in the same place. I'm currently on chapter 5 of City in the Autumn Stars. Its a lot slower than the first novel but I'm still enjoying it. Winter Olympics is eating up all my reading time at the moment.

Warhound and the World Pain was great though. That opening paragraph. The creepiness of the forest and castle completely devoid of life. The brutality of the eagle attack. It's a good start to the series.

Movies

Cleanflix ★★★★
Short Term 12 ★★★★★
42 ★★★★

So I went into Short Term 12 completely blind. My girlfriend works at the library and brought me a copy of it. I'm absolutely blown away by this movie. Easily one of the most emotional movies I have ever seen. It deals with a lot of heavy themes; physical abuse, sexual abuse, suicide, bullying, etc. The performances, and I don't want to come off like I'm blowing it out of proportion or anything, are some of the best performances in film that I can remember. Every actor in this movie nails it. You'll feel for everyone of them. I hope the kids in the movie go on to do other things because they have got some real talent. This is very much a one-time-only watch for me--far too emotional to go through it again, but boy am I glad I did.

Shiv47

Seems we are pretty much in the same place. I'm currently on chapter 5 of City in the Autumn Stars. Its a lot slower than the first novel but I'm still enjoying it. Winter Olympics is eating up all my reading time at the moment.

Warhound and the World Pain was great though. That opening paragraph. The creepiness of the forest and castle completely devoid of life. The brutality of the eagle attack. It's a good start to the series.

Yeah, I've only read the first chapter or two of City and it's fine so far, but it'll be a tough order to live up to War Hound, that was pretty intense from beginning to end. I often have multiple books going at once, and I got sidetracked off the Moorcock by the latest book in the Anno Dracula series by Kim Newman, which is quite good. So many books, so little time.

Ashes

Banned
I watched Schindler's List on the projector tonight. But I won't be counting it. Not only because I have watched it before (I intend to count other films and books that I've watched and read before) but honestly I got so much out of it the first time, I can't say there was anything left to gain from it.
Only reason I watched was because my little sister hadn't seen it, & it was educational as much anything.

Actually, on second thought I might add it. It shows my progress from one who merely watches to one that puts on the show.

I'm halfway through 1984 and will probably watch the film after I finished reading. The book is nothing short of amazing, and I can't believe in my whole life that I never read it. It's only about 300 pages, so if anyone is looking for something to add, I can't recommend anything more than this. This may put me on a kick to read up on some more of the classic dystopian future novels, such as Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451.

Guamu

I'm halfway through 1984 and will probably watch the film after I finished reading. The book is nothing short of amazing, and I can't believe in my whole life that I never read it. It's only about 300 pages, so if anyone is looking for something to add, I can't recommend anything more than this. This may put me on a kick to read up on some more of the classic dystopian future novels, such as Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451.

I've heard this opinion a lot ("1984 is great, you should also read fahrenheit and brave new world").

I really liked the other two, but disliked 1984.

If you really want to explore some more classic dystopian literature you should definitely read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (I hope I didn't misspell the name).

I've heard this opinion a lot ("1984 is great, you should also read fahrenheit and brave new world").

I really liked the other two, but disliked 1984.

I like the concepts of the dystopian future. I'll hopefully enjoy the other 2 as well, but I seem to really dig Orwell's writing style.

If you really want to explore some more classic dystopian literature you should definitely read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (I hope I didn't misspell the name).

found it for 8 bucks on B&N, I'll definitely order it. How is the English translation?

found it for 8 bucks on B&N, I'll definitely order it. How is the English translation?
I'm sorry, I have no idea. I only read the German version five or six years ago. But I think it was good, at least I can't remember having problems with it. Normally I don't forget such things - e.g. the horrible horrible German translation of Battle Royale. Interesting story, but it was really diffucult to finish the book because of all the errors.

A summary of movies watched for a couple weeks. I haven't finished the book i started because it's tough to read much in one sitting (Don Quixote), so nothing finished on that front.

Bird (1988) - another summary of how artistry and substance abuse are so commonly mixed. Glad i only watched it for the music, as there's only so much self destruction i can tolerate before i get depressed myself.

Bolt (animated)-This was amazingly good! I was aware of it for years but have not watched many of the animated films that came out since...i dunno....2000?

Wonder Woman (animated 2008) - Nathan Fillion is really in everything.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader - fine adaptation of the book.

1984 is nightmarish, the others are just dystopian.

I wouldn't consider Brave New World "just dystopian" considering the world we live in and that it was based on the author's time in the US.

Also: afaik this is where the "people in vats" trope comes from.

And I feel that The Time Machine deserves a mention in terms of dystopia novels. And Animal Farm, obviously.

Commented on it in edit in my original post awhile ago but since I haven't participated much in this thread, I guess announce that I am pretty much have no chance in finishing the 50 books challenge.
I've been busy with full time job, part time school and a couple of courseras on the side. School and coursera take up more time than I thought, pretty much keep me occupied with reading/learning on a daily basis anyway .That's basically the purpose of the challenge so that's why I decided to initially accept it ( plus I just wanted some motivation to clear my bookshelf backlog).
That's not to say I don't plan to still finish some of my other books in my backlog, but realistically 50 whole books ain't going to happen. I also gots videogames to play and bars to visit

anyhoo....just to mention a book here I guess I'll throw in that i started reading Middlesex awhile ago, I think maybe the first 80 pages ( which were entertaining enough).

Also , not a book but I will also recommend the coursera class Moralities of Everyday Life if anybody is into that type of thing

Tragicomedy - 12/50 Books | 14/50 Movies

As far as my February goes so far, it's been very hit or miss for me on books.

I finished Bleak Seasons by Glen Cook on the first, and it's the first Black Company book that I haven't been head over heels about. ★★½ I didn't appreciate the storytelling mechanism of jumping back and forth in time, and Murgen still hasn't won me over. Too much of this book felt like a retread of the previous book from a different perspective, which I didn't really need.

I've posted my review of Blindness by José Saramago in the book club thread. ★★★★ In a word, it's brilliant. Everyone should read it.

I went down a minor Brandon Sanderson novella tunnel with both of his Infinity Blade books. Ummm, I guess they're licensed back on an iOS game that I've never played or even heard of. At 100 odd pages a pop, they're decently engaging and Sanderson does his usual job of setting up an interesting world with unique mechanics. Redemption, the sequel, was slightly more fleshed out than Awakening and had better characterization of the protagonist and his main nemesis. They both end in total cliffhangers, so it's safe to assume a book #3 is on its way. At Sanderson's writing pace, I expect it by Friday morning. ★★½ for both.

February movies:

I finished season two of Sherlock and watched the first episode of season three. This is a consistently solid production with likable characters, though I will say the explanation offered up for the cliffhanger ending from season two is laughably stupid. Heck, all of the explanations were far-fetched to the point of absurdity. Am I weird for questioning the realism of a show that has delved into the farthest reaches of sanity? Yes. An average of ★★★½ for both shows.

I finally watched Ender's Game last night. I have been a fan of the book for the better part of fifteen years, and always wondered how it would translate onto the big screen and keep any of the suspense and edge of the story. How could they cast young children to pull off the roles convincingly? How would they recreate the insane battle school scenes? How would Hollywood avoid blowing the ending? Would the deeply philosophical questions that Ender faces
(genocide, moral culpability, tricked into violence against as potentially non-violent opponent)
be glossed over under a thousand layers of makeup and special effects?

I'm pleased to say the movie was awesome. ★★★★★ I haven't followed reviews closely here, so I'm likely alone in that assessment, but this was everything I could have hoped for in an Ender's Game movie adaptation. Yes, the children were too "old" to play the characters. Yes, there were clear tradeoffs made in terms of reducing the violent nature of the characters and their training environment in order to draw in larger audiences and appease the ratings board. Yes, the book is better.

And yet, the film works well and it's MASSIVELY entertaining. The battle school scenes were amazing. The training simulators were of impeccable design and held up well. The battle scenes were better (albeit shorter) than anything I've seen in Star Wars or Star Trek. Harrison Ford hams it up just the right amount as Graff. Ben Kingsley's cameo/role as Mazer Rackham was absolutely superb, the perfect casting. In fact, all the adult characters in the film (including Nonso Anozie of Game of Thrones fame as Sergeant Dap, and Viola Davis as Major Anderson) were excellent in their respective roles. The kids were hit or miss, with the kid playing Peter Wiggins standing out as hot garbage. The kids playing Ender, Petra, and Bean were infinitely better in their roles.

They pulled off the ending, they really did. My wife was unfamiliar with the story (yes, I've failed in my umpteen attempts to get her to read the book) and she was in total shock. Boom. They also didn't shy away from Ender's response, and though I don't expect a Speaker for the Dead sequel (or hell, even an Ender's Shadow adaptation), they showed the promise of that story and hinted at what it would bring. Asa Butterbean Butterfield really pulled off the emotional response we needed to see there. He definitely pulled off the character as a whole, and sort of looked the part (about as well as a 17 kid can play a youngster).

In conclusion, if you want to watch a great science fiction movie with an amazing story, excellent characters, intense action sequences, and lots of creativity, do NOT watch that piece of garbage Pacific Rim film that everyone on GAF was raving about. It sucks. Watch Ender's Game. It's great.

Ashes

Banned
Ashes1396 - Books 6/50 | Films 19/50 | Seasons 5/12 |

I wouldn't consider Brave New World "just dystopian" considering the world we live in and that it was based on the author's time in the US.

Also: afaik this is where the "people in vats" trope comes from.

And I feel that The Time Machine deserves a mention in terms of dystopia novels. And Animal Farm, obviously.

Can anything merely dystopian? I thought what I implied would be easily deduced without having to explain everything in great detail. Nonethless, fair point.

Tragicomedy - 12/50 Books | 14/50 Movies

As far as my February goes so far, it's been very hit or miss for me on books.

I'm meaning to read it. I'll definitely come back to this and see if it struck the same chords with me.

Btw for those who are listing seasons as well, I really can't recommend True Detective highly enough. Quality television drama if you like dark detective drama.

Too poor for HBO.

Well, having to have Cable is really the killer. I'd purchase a sub to HBO if I could do just that.

I saw the first two or three episodes though...through....some kind of means...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't. Are you talking about the book as a whole or is it because of certain plot developments you didn't like? Just curious.

Both. Consider that development and how it was handled, written and executed the final straw that broke the meandering, overly drawn-out and ultimately dull camel's back. I was struggling to care about anything happening to any character in the book at that point. That part sort of forced an end to any part of the story I cared for.

Trying to be super vague here.

Reyne

^ Aight. Though I feel the opposite of that I know that the appeal isn't universal. Just as well you stop reading now because you are probably going to kill yourself with the next two books. :)

Both. Consider that development and how it was handled, written and executed the final straw that broke the meandering, overly drawn-out and ultimately dull camel's back. I was struggling to care about anything happening to any character in the book at that point. That part sort of forced an end to any part of the story I cared for.

Trying to be super vague here.

Time to jump on that Stormlight Archive bandwagon, where satisfaction and happiness doth overflow!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
and the OSCAR goes to...

A pretty surface level documentary from Turner Classic Movies about the history of the Oscars. Pretty good but if you want something substantial look elsewhere.

WJD

I need to watch shittier films. Up to 20 now and I haven't watched anything I deem below ★★★ in a good while.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just finished Battlestar Galactica.

I
vaguely remembered accidentally reading a spoiler years ago that basically said "the God/Angel stuff is real",
so I kept that in mind from the very beginning and I think it made a lot of the late-series developments easier to swallow.

I liked the finale for the most part - it was fairly inconsistent, but certainly not a "zomg it retroactively ruined the entire series!1!!1! " type thing.

I'm reading through some of the old threads on GAF and I think a lot of the complaints are valid, but because I binged the entire series in a short amount of time, I never really gave myself a chance to stop to think about anything - I just plowed though - so I didn't really have a whole lot of issues with the show.

I think my favorite character was Gaius Baltar
not a huge fan of him becoming a sort of cult leader though
, as well as Helo, Athena, Apollo and Starbuck. Lots of good characters to choose from.

I liked it a lot overall (I haven't really had a chance to mull anything over yet though) and despite some rocky plotting and characterization, I'd say that overall the good stuff outweighed the bad.

Movies

I Am Not a Hipster ★★½
The Lego Movie ★★★★★
Frozen ★★★★½

I checked out I Am Not a Hipster (stupid title) because I loved the director's other movie, Short Term 12. I didn't like this too much. It wasn't bad, but I just hated the main character so much--and I know that was the point of the film. It just sort of ruined it for me.

PlayDat

PlayDat - 6/50 Books | 5/50 Movies

Books
  1. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Malcolm Gladwell
  2. Monoculture: How One Story is Changing Everything - F.S. Michaels
  3. You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself - David McRaney
  4. Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference - Cordelia Fine
  5. Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other - Sherry Turkle
  6. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave - Frederick Douglass

Movies
  1. Mean Girls
  2. Upstream Color
  3. Don Jon
  4. The Usual Suspects
  5. Gone Girl

Arsenics OP

Ugh, this is becoming an impossible task. Not even because I'm a slow reading or not reading, but because I'm reading so many lectures and articles that I dont have time for whole books. Foucault, Benjamine, Barthes and scientific articles have taken up my life :( Anyways, last night was one of my first free nights, so I started and finished Switch Bitch. Ok book, but Dahl really comes off as a misogynist in these short story collections of his...
Watched a couple of movies too.
Books: 3/50

1. Escape from Camp 14
2. Female Chauvenistic Pig
3. Switch Bitch by Roald Dahl

Movies: 15/50
1. Wold Children Ami and Yuki. (2013)1/2
2. Midori (1992) 1/5 What a mistake......
3. The Brandon Teena Story (1999) 1/18
4. It's a Girl (2013) 1/18
5. We Are What We Are (2012) 1/19
6. Vamp 1/20 (1986) 1/20
7. After Porn Ends (2010) 1/22
8. The Elephants in the Living Room (2011) 1/25
9. The Collection (2012) 1/26
10. The Devil's Carnival (2012) 1/27
11. Anti Christ (2009) 1/27
12. But I'm a Cheerleader (1999) 1/27
13. Stoker
14. Banshee Chapter
15. Cry Baby

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Books
  • The Young King (1891), Oscar Wilde - ★★★½ - An effective story about someone who is inspired by vision and claims his lot in life rightfully and with a pure heart. A bit over the top in its message but its always clear what its intensions are.
  • The Fisherman and his Soul (1891), Oscar Wilde - ★★★½ - A man trades his soul for love. A tale of perhaps the soul isn't that important. And what we can have in life without heart and love is not worth having. It's stumbles in the same way that the young Mr. Werther does. But it's a nice fairy tale.

Games
  • Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs [PC] (2013, dev. The Chinese Room) - ★★½ - .It starts out good. The first hour or so is amazing. After that it shits on itself and for the entire third act it just draws out. The first Amnesia I couldn't even play because my nerves couldn't take it. This is far more in line with their previous outing Dear Esther and after the first couple of scares in the first couple of hours it's reduced to a walk and narrate exposition.
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall [PS4] (2013, dev. Guerilla Games) - ★★★½ - I've heard good things and I've heard bad things. I've seen good things and I've seen bad thing. The graphics are awesome. The narrative is adequate. The level design is good. The pacing takes some getting used to. And the multiplayer is fast paced and responsive if a bit clusterfuck at times.
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon [PC] (2013, dev. Ubisoft Montreal) - ★★★ - The best thing about this game is that it proves that you don't need to take yourself seriously to make a good game. The pacing is all over the place but the setting and aesthetic is gorgeous.

Pau

Ugh, this is becoming an impossible task. Not even because I'm a slow reading or not reading, but because I'm reading so many lectures and articles that I dont have time for whole books. Foucault, Benjamine, Barthes and scientific articles have taken up my life :(
I know the feeling. Maybe we should have a personal rule where anything written by Foucault counts as a novel because damn, I don't think I've read anything that's harder to get through. :/

First time checking out this thread - what a great idea! I need some extra motivation to read more (and watch more movies)! I have not read a book yet in 2014 but I am about 75% of the way through The Shining. Watching Dallas Buyers Club tonight. I'll have to think about what movies I saw earlier in the year. I have a 5-month old and a busy job so this will be a challenge but I'll see what I can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom