• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.

taoofjord

taoofjord - Books - 4 | Games - 8 | Movies - 12 | TV - 9

Books
• The Walking Dead - Volume 1 ★★
• The Last Wish: Introducing The Witcher ★★★★
• The Eyes of the Overworld ★★★
• The Return of The Sorcerer: The Best of Clark Ashton Smith ★★★★★

Games
• The Castle Doctrine ★★★
• Broken Age: Part 1 ★★★★
• Threes ★★★
• NEO Scavenger ★★★★
• Cut the Rope 2 ★★★
• Peggle 2 ★★★★★
• The Last of Us - Left Behind ★★★★
• Titanfall Beta ★★★★

Movies
• Meet the Parents ★★★★
• The Thing ★★
• Super Inframan ★★★
• Seven Samurai ★★★★★
• Monsters University ★★★★★
• The Secret World of Arrietty ★★★★★
• Beauty and the Beast ★★★★★
• Ponyo ★★★★
• Howl's Moving Castle ★★★★
• Despicable Me ★★
• Castle in the Sky ★★★
• The Prince of Egypt ★★★

TV
• Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 7 ★★★★★
• Justified - Season 4 ★★★★
• The Americans - Season 1 ★★★★
• Adventure Time - Season 2 ★★★★★
• Futurama - Season 9 ★★★
• The Returned - Season 1 ★★★★
• Parks and Recreation - Season 5 ★★★★
• Adventure Time - Season 3 ★★★★★
• Dracula - Season 1 ★★★

I hope you all don't mind but while I'll shoot for at least 50 movies there's almost no way I'll make it to 50 books. But I've always enjoyed keeping track of this stuff on my own so I figured that I should join in on this tradition for 2014. :)

Something to note... this applies mainly to the movie section, but I do list movies that I've already seen.

And for the record, my five point scoring system:
★ - Disliked/Hated | ★★ - It's okay | ★★★ - Liked it | ★★★★ - Really liked it | ★★★★★ - Loved it

1 new book, 6 new films. >_<

Read Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. I've decided to work my way through his works (already read Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle, will probably come back to them once I have reached 50 books). PP didn't grab as me much as S5 or CC but that's to be expected. It's not as hilarious but it still was very funny from time to time. It was interesting to read his first novel nonetheless.

I'm currently 200 pages into Infinite Jest and it's taking awhile! My book total won't be expanding for quite some time I expect.

Movies:

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop &#9733;&#9733;
(A)sexual &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Empire Records &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½
Hachi: A Dog's Tale &#9733;½
Oldboy (2013) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Liberal Arts &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½

Narag

Update: Narag - 5/50 Books | 41/50 Movies

Figure I should actually post about some stuff now and then:

35. Ender’s Game &#9733;&#9733;½ - First half was alright even if paced too fast, hitting various highlights from the book. Second half had some garbo going on to accommodate the finale.

37. Macgruber &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½ - Lowest of the low-brow comedy I couldn't help but laugh at. Really shouldn't have worked quite as well as it did.

39. Argo &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;- Liked it but felt weird during the Hollywood segment even if it, and everything else preceding, was used to set up the airport scene.

40. Rush (2013) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; -Hunt & Lauda played off so well against one another. Rented this one but wouldn't be adverse to picking it up down the line as it seems like something I could revisit and appreciate better with subsequent rewatches.

41. The Break-Up &#9733; - To quote a sage review from letterboxd, "Jennifer Aniston's butt gets the extra half a star."

Teptom

Teptom - 8/50 Books | 13/50 Movies​

The last two weeks of January were completely unproductive for me. It was just a lot of lurking Gaf, watching Parks and Recreation, and listening to podcasts. The first half of February has been considerably better.

Books

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - After only getting into comics last year, this was a great history lesson. The best thing about it is that it immediately made me want to read some comics, resulting in me finally cracking open the X-Statix omnibus I bought last summer.

The Day of the Triffids - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - I think this book sets up my most unwanted apocalypse scenario: mass blindness followed by giant venomous plants roaming the earth. Triffids legitimately creep me out. Plants shouldn't be able to get up and start walking.

Ubik - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - This is by far my favorite book so far this year. It's an amazing blend of satire, body horror, and reality bending insanity. I think Philip K. Dick is very quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

Movies

Nosferatu - &#9733;&#9733; - I was amazed at how incredibly bored I was while watching this.

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - I'm pretty sure this is my favorite non-Pixar 3D-animated film. It was so much fun to watch.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - This was a very beautiful movie to look at. I'm glad Anderson's style translates to animation so well.

Jintor

Jintor - 10/50 books | 9/50 movies

A Fistful of Dollars (1964) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Damn good stuff. Only issues were the atrocious child dubbing, scenes occasionally being a little too dark, and me being sidetracked by trying to figure out which character was who every once in a while.

Update 3 of 24

Maklershed - 5/50 books | 10/50 movies | 6 games

Books
4. Swan Song
5. Dreams from Bunker Hill

Movies
5. Red Dawn
6. Europa Report
7. Olympus Has Fallen
8. Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters
9. Double Team
10. Volcano

Games
6. Mark of the Ninja

Well here I go - I'm a bit handicapped considering I'm starting this in mid-February but better late than never!

Ace Harding - 1/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books:

1. The Shining (Stephen King, 1977) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Movies:

1. Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Rating system:
&#9733;: Horrible, unwatchable/unreadable or nearly so. Only finished it so it was counted for 50/50.
&#9733;&#9733;: Not very good. Maybe one element that I thought was good, or it was kind of fun as a popcorn flick or quick read despite a lot of flaws.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;: Pretty good. Flawed, but several elements I thought were very well done or just overall well-made film or well-written book.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;: Very good. Typically only 1 or 2 4-star films/books released each year. Every element was very well-done.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;: Reserved for the greatest films/books of all time. Probably won't see or read any of these this year (but who knows!)

Glaurungr

Glaurungr - 27/50 Books | 32/50 Movies

New update!

Books:

Films:

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Update

Books

I made bad decisions. I blame amazon and this challenge. I read the entire Vampire Academy series, which had two half-decent books (on the urban fantasy scale, which has a very low bar) and four bad books. You know how some films and books will throw in japanese terms, samurai and such to give the stories that sort of exotic feel, but there's no depth to it because they barely know what they're talking about when they're slapping things in? Well, this series tries to do that with Russian.

Also read:

The Martian by Andy Weir - Could have been a solid abandoned on Mars story if it wasn't written like a diary with the voice of a 12 year old.

Hackers by David Bischoff - Novelization. Suck all the charm out the movie and you're left with this.

Books
9. The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling, by David Shoemaker

In hindsight, I'm surprised by how prominent a role professional wrestling has played in my adult friendships. I had watched professional wrestling as a kid (the skit where the Ultimate Warrior is bitten by a cobra after Jake "The Snake" Roberts betrayed him after Warrior asked Roberts to help him overcome his fears so he could defeat the Undertaker sticks in my mind), but I wasn't really invested in professional wrestling until my freshman year in college, when I saw three future friends watch SummerSlam 2000, specifically the Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match that featured Edge & Christian, the Hardy Boyz, and the Dudley Boyz ("z" was used to copyright their names and because it was the late 1990's/early 2000's). Professional wrestling, in the form of WCW/nWo: Revenge on the Nintendo 64, cemented our friendships, as our nightly boisterous battle royales gave us the testing platform that assured that our personalities were compatible.

After college, professional wrestling still played a key role in my connections to the world, especially since I had nothing but disposable time and income. I dragged my oldest friends to wrestling shows in Long Island and the City; eventually, they made it clear that the bonds of friendship can be stretched by professional wrestling only so far, and it was clear to me that they didn't enjoy it as much as I did anyway. I made new friends who would travel with me to Philadelphia and small towns in Connecticut and Pennsylvania to watch niche independent professional wrestling companies' shows. And professional wrestling is the bond that brings my current friends together every month as we watch pay-per-views with strangers, soaking in the atmosphere as much as the actual show on screen.

For all that, I hadn't been compelled to learn more about the history of professional wrestling in the United States, much less Canada, Mexico, Japan, India, or any of the European nations that lay claim to professional wrestling's history. Shoemaker's book is a good primer for professional wrestling history, filtered through wrestlers who exemplified the different eras of wrestling. The essays, which are mostly adapted from his The Dead Wrestler of the Week columns on Deadspin.com, are too brief but insightful as they try to summarize the wrestlers' lives and how they impacted or were impacted by the periods in which they plied their craft.

Shoemaker tries to fit almost a century's worth of wrestling in his book, and his ambition oustrips the book's format's ability to discuss much of it in detail. Because the essays are adapted from his columns, there is a lot of repetition; in a more traditional book, the repetition would be used to create explicit links of thought and common ideas. As it is, it feels more like a collection of columns that mention his ideas rather than a book of eulogies that unite around common themes.

Take, for example, his essays about the Modern Era wrestlers Brian "Crush" Adams and Yokozuna. Each touches on the period of creative floundering that the then-WWF (now WWE) suffered during the mid-1990s. Each touches on the geopolitics of professional wrestling, how wrestling exploits the value of the foreign Other in order to give the fans easy delineations between hero and villain, and how this is one of the oldest tricks in professional wrestling's book. The two teamed together on various occasions. But the connections between them are not made explicit or explored for the book's thematic impact.

The book attempts to be comprehensive about professional wrestling in the United States, but there are some odd omissions. Shoemaker claims (rightfully) that Extreme Championship Wrestling played a large role in how professional wrestling in the Modern Era changed; however, notable wrestlers who worked in Extreme Championship Wrestling, like Anthony "Pitbull #2" Durante or Mike "Mike Awesome/The Gladiator" Alphonso, aren't covered, which leaves the book with an ECW-shaped hole. He also discusses that Vincent K. McMahon is the current champion of professional wrestling in the United States, but his format doesn't allow him to discuss the fall of the WWE's main competitor, World Championship Wrestling, because no one who is particularly identified with that company is dead yet.

Shoemaker's book makes for a good introductory primer about professional wrestling in the United States, but there is still much more to discuss. I hope that he writes a follow-up book; he's shown a deft pen for explaining the history to the uninitiated and for separating the various layers of reality in which professional wrestling operates.

Movies
15. Stoker

The first English movie by Chan-wook Park (Oldboy, Sympathy for the Mr. Vengeance, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) feels less transgressive than his Korean works, but it retains the dynamic, confident camera movements and sumptuous colors that you would expect from a Park film. It's a lovely Gothic film, full of oppressive silences and fiery glances between characters. You will believe that you can seduce someone with a piano duet.

At heart, the story, which reminds me of Tennessee Williams's plays and Sylvia Plath's poetry, is simple, but the visuals that Park and cinematographer Chung Chung-hoon create are so lush that they keep the eyes captive. Some of those images, like the spider crawling up Mia Wasikowska's India's leg, don't seem to have a narrative payoff, but that only becomes apparent in hindsight.

The title, the fact that Matthew Goode's Charlie insists on being invited by India to stay at their home rather, the glass of deep red wine that Charlie shares with India, and the way Charlie and India strike their victims all imply the vampiric, parasitic way Charlie attaches himself to India and Evie's family. And Park's last film was Thirst, a film about vampires and love. Stoker is another take by Park on love and an emotional vampire, but it's also about a girl's coming of age from a sullen, nearly-mute teenage girl to a sexually awakened and expressive woman point to something else.

Wasikowska's performance captivates you until it reaches its release, and Matthew Goode's performance is an exercise in control until the facade is broken. Kidman plays the over-mannered, withdrawn mother of many a Gothic tale. I wish more time had been given to Dermot Mulroney's performance as Richard, husband to Evie and father to India, but his appearances are well placed because the irony in Evie's comparisons of Charlie to Richard needs the time and space to build. The twist is too reminiscent of Dexter and the story ultimately too flat in retrospect for Stoker to have the lasting power of Oldboy or the Vengeance films, but it's a lush experience while it lasts.

16. Amour

It's not a conversation that I relish, but I have no choice to discuss the end with my wife. It's not a conversation that's finished; I've made some of my wishes clear, but nothing's been codified, and things change. When the time comes, I hope I face it with dignity, and I hope that my family respects my choices. I can only hope that they love me enough to do at least that.

We have to have these conversations because time is the indefatigable enemy. The fear and anticipation of death is the greatest creative force in human history; science is driven by the need to fight it; religions were created to answer what happens after it and to provide comfort in the face of it.

Michael Haneke's no stranger on the topic of death; in Funny Games, he challenged our complicity in watching characters die on screen. In The White Ribbon, he gave a moral explanation for what caused World War I. In Amour, he explores the intersection of love and our duty to our loved ones in difficult times.

He taunts us from the start by smashing to the title after showing one of the characters in repose, making us wonder if the title is compassionate or taunting. He teases us by showing the film's characters sitting down to watch us watch them; eventually, one of them has no choice but to watch the other's degeneration. He tweaks the Western European mainstream audience who would watch his films by making the octogenarians Anne (Emmanuelle Riva) and Georges (Jean-Louis Trintignant) the embodiment of Western European haute-bourgeois refinement, retired music teachers who live in a spacious, well-appointed apartment. This apartment becomes a prison as much as Anne's body, once it betrays her will be. It baits us into reading deeply the fact that the man watches while the woman suffers or how age has replaced the intimacies we share with our lovers in our youth with the need to help our partners with her toilet.

As much as Haneke might want to tweak our noses about Anne's and Georges's first world privilege, the film has a surprising tenderness for them. The tenderness gives the film, and what there is of its twist (though it's a conclusion that's fairly obvious from the start) its power. I was frankly surprised by how humanist Haneke's film was, how touching it was, how it invites the viewer to pity the characters.

17. Zero Dark Thirty

There's something funny about Kathryn Bigelow making Jessica Chastain look like the splitting image of Linda Hamilton in one scene in the staging area in Afghanistan.

Let's put aside the argument about whether Bigelow glamorizes torture in the film and the argument about the efficacy of advanced interrogation techniques (or torture) in obtaining information. Let's also put aside the argument that it's a partisan work, that it downplays the Obama administration's role in the assassination of Osama bin Laden. Let's even put aside whether government-sanctioned murder is right, regardless of whether we inject actual troops into the field or whether it's done from afar. And let's put aside whether Bigelow was right to include actual 911 voicemails from September 11, 2001 in the beginning of the film.

As a film, I'm not sure what Zero Dark Thirty actually does well. It doesn't work as an action film; the raid on the compound is competently composed, but the film doesn't give the members of Seal Team Six enough time for us to care about what happens, especially when they're portraying such recent history that we all know what happens. There's no tension to the scene, and this part of the film doesn't work as a thriller or an action film.

It doesn't work as a political thriller, again because we know what happens. It doesn't work as a drama about an individual standing against the system. Chastain shows her character's frustration about inaction once they've determined bin Laden's location well, but all the angst is sound and fury signifying nothing.

So, I'm left wondering what I got out of the 2.5 hours I gave Zero Dark Thirty that I didn't already have, and I'm left with all the things that we put aside at the beginning. I wonder how much of the film's inability to generate drama comes from the fact that the film straddles the line between fiction and reality, depicting neither in a particularly entertaining way.

18. Red Eye

This was a taut thriller that just outlived its welcome, which is strange since it only lasted 85 minutes. It made me wonder what happened to Rachel McAdams; it seemed like she was primed to be a superstar, but it didn't happen. Maybe it will still happen, but it seemed like the momentum of the early 2000s is gone.

The tension seems to dissipate once we leave the plane, and as tight as the movie is, it still seems to limp to its conclusion. The plot is a straight line; I was expecting more twisting and turning, but there simply isn't much to it.

19. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

The beginning of the film tried too hard to lean on a hedonistic approach to the end of the world to generate laughs (watch Rob Corddry pressure kids to drink alcohol because it's the end of the world, or watch Connie Britton talk about doing heroin because it's the end of the world, or watch Patton Oswalt joke about sleeping with family members because it's the end of the world), while the rest of the film felt like an extended Dharma and Greg episode set during the cataclysmic end times. Keira Knightley plays your Manic Pixie Dream Girl, arms full of vintage vinyls and mouth spitting out rapid fire dialogue that should seem cute because Knightley has a British accent. Steve Carrell does his lowkey, Dan in Real Life or Crazy, Stupid, Love best, but it's just not enough to get past this saccharine, overly coy comedy. I thought it would be interesting to compare this film to Melancholia, but a more apt comparison might actually be Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, which I detest because it processed the apocalyptic (in the old definition that meant it was a moment of transition) events of September 11, 2011 as a self-improvement exercise for a preteen survivor.

20. The Place Beyond the Pines

I feel like this film pulled a bait-and-switch on me; it's advertised to be a vehicle for Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, and Eva Mendes, but all three characters are put on the sidelines for the second half of the film in favor of Emory Cohen and Cole DeHaan. You may remember Cole DeHaan from Chronicle, where he played the unbalanced Andrew Detmer, or In Treatment, where he played Jesse D'Amato. The Place Beyond the Pines was Cohen's first major role; you may also remember him from his portrayal of Debra Messing's character's son on NBC's Smash (The "Smash" Williams Story).

As a movie about two generations of men, the film poses an emotional investment problem to the viewer. We're invited to invest in the first half of the generational tale because 1) it comes first and 2) it features Gosling, Cooper, and Mendes. This section makes a strong impression; we open the film with a long tracking shot following Gosling's Luke Glanton leave his trailer for the globe of death where he demonstrates his motorcycle riding skills. From there, we're treated to exciting motorcycle rides down long rural highways and bank robberies. The film's handoff from Gosling's Luke to Cooper's Avery Cross is well-executed, and the flow seems natural. After a title card announces that 15 years had passed, we're asked to put those investments aside and invest in two relatively unknown actors playing basically new characters. The scale is now much smaller as we follow two high school students get into smaller scale trouble. It's a strange arrangement, and it's problematic enough that it was distracting.

DeHaan follows his strong performance in Chronicle with another strong performance in The Place Beyond the Pines. I'm actually looking forward to his portrayal of Harry Osborne/The Green Goblin in The Amazing Spider-Man 2; he plays conflicted and maddened with anger and grief very well. Cohen doesn't come off as well as Avery Cross's son, AJ, a meathead and petty criminal. The film tries to pull an ironic fate between DeHaan's character, who is Luke Glanton's son, and Cohen's. Look how the son of Avery Cross, hero cop and district attorney, is a petty criminal. Marvel at how the son of Luke Glanton, a bank robber styled the Moto Robber by the press, is a bit lost and dragged into legal trouble by the hero cop's son. It's a bit too precious.

So, we're left with a very strong two-thirds of the film and a last act that putters to its conclusion. I understand that writer/director Derek Cianfrance and his fellow writers Ben Coccio and Darius Marder were trying to create a generational epic about people on the fringes of society in a small, unremarkable town in upstate New York, but it's let down by the actors it features in the last act and the film's structure, which makes it difficult for viewers to create emotional investments to give the last act emotional weight.

Tragicomedy - 13/50 Books | 14/50 Movies

Finished Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - This was a better proper introduction to the Vorkosigan saga than Falling Free, as it had better flow, dramatic developments, and it actually featured a protagonist with the Vorkosigan name. I was somewhat surprised by the romantic undertones that develop in the book, but found them realistic and enjoyable despite not expecting them. Captain Cordelia Naismith stole the show for me, as she was easily the best and most interesting character.

Great start to the series...I'm looking forward to the second book.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Tragicomedy - 13/50 Books | 14/50 Movies

Finished Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - This was a better proper introduction to the Vorkosigan saga than Falling Free, as it had better flow, dramatic developments, and it actually featured a protagonist with the Vorkosigan name. I was somewhat surprised by the romantic undertones that develop in the book, but found them realistic and enjoyable despite not expecting them. Captain Cordelia Naismith stole the show for me, as she was easily the best and most interesting character.

Great start to the series...I'm looking forward to the second book.
Cordelia is a fantastic character! I do really like Aral Vorkosigan as well, but as you mentioned Cordelia is a show-stealer.
Since you seem to be going by chronological order, I assume you are going to read Barrayar next? I really liked Shards of Honor but I'd say it gets only better from now on. :)

Cordelia is a fantastic character! I do really like Aral Vorkosigan as well, but as you mentioned Cordelia is a show-stealer.
Since you seem to be going by chronological order, I assume you are going to read Barrayar next? I really liked Shards of Honor but I'd say it gets only better from now on. :)

Barrayar it is! I'm going to stick to the internal chronology, though I probably should have shipped Falling Free. It was an okay read, but I could just as well have skipped it.

kswiston

I watched Invictus a couple of days back, which was decent if not pretty standard for the genre.

I also completed the first book of the Black Company Chronicles by Glen Cook, and am about a third of the way through book 2 (Shadows Linger). It took me awhile to get into the series, as the frequent time jumps were a bit disorienting at first. Also, for a book that supposedly was influential in the current trend towards gritty fantasy, I wasn't expecting so much magic. Once I got a handle on the world though, it was a pretty good read. I should be able to finish up the first trilogy by the end of the month.

daffy

Banned
Finished my 50 mark on movies. Going to stop the movie tally and start focusing on reading books now. Reading Blindness now and the pages are really long.

February II

Books
  • Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (2012)
Movies
  • Citizen Kane (1941)
  • The Imposter (2012)
  • The LEGO Movie (2014)
  • The Evil Dead (1981)
  • Evil Dead II (1987)
  • Evil Dead (2013)
  • Django Unchained (2012)
  • Frozen (2013)
  • Man of Steel (2013)
  • RoboCop (2014)
  • Pacific Rim (2013)
  • Don Jon (2013)
  • Argo (2012)
  • Daisies (1966)
  • All the Boys Are Called Patrick (1957)
  • Pleasure (2013)

I know the feeling. Maybe we should have a personal rule where anything written by Foucault counts as a novel because damn, I don't think I've read anything that's harder to get through. :/

After reading Derrida and Benjamin, Foucault seemed so much easier. Both of them seem to go in circles and their sentences are paragraphs long.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Barrayar it is! I'm going to stick to the internal chronology, though I probably should have shipped Falling Free. It was an okay read, but I could just as well have skipped it.
Barrayar is one of my favorites, hope you enjoy it!
I've been reading in chronological order as well, I'm almost done with the series now and am happy with how it worked out - although I am a bit curious as to what the reading experience was for those who read the novels as they came out!

That said, I started from Shards of Honor and am just now reading Falling Free - after a few of the Miles books, the series started becoming too compelling a read to take a break for an only-slightly-related novel, haha.

ZetaEpyon

Journal update - 2/50 books, 7/50 movies

Fiiiinally finished off my first book, Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN; counting it as two, since it clocks in at 725 pages. Really interesting read, if you're into sports and recent history. Still, going with such a lengthy non-fiction for the first book may not have been the best idea. :)

Doing better on movies - local theater has all movies for $5 on Tuesdays, so I've been trying to take advantage of that. Saw The Lego Movie this week, which was pretty good. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

choodi

Banned
Finally got a chance to update after moving house in January!

1 book and 12 movies down

List here

I really liked Good Omens. I had heard so much about it and I love Terry Pratchett's style so much that it was a given that I would enjoy the book.

I have moved on to reading The Great Gatsby. I recently saw the latest film version and was really bored watching it. It was typical soulless Baz Lurhman stuff. So I didn't want my only impression of a modern classic to be that film. Suffice to say that I am enjoying the book much more.

Film-wise, not much to really write about except that Philomena is an excellent film.

Just a small update

new books:
5. Gillian Flynn - Dark Places
6. Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash
7. Brandon Sanderson - The Final Empire

I managed to read three new books since my last update. The first one is Dark Places by Gillian Flynn which I chose because I really liked Gone Girl and wanted to try another book by this author. Once again a thrilling story with really interesting characters. Then I finally read my first book by Neal Stephenson. I always wanted to read something from him and since I try to read more science fiction books this year, it was a great opportunity. I loved his writing style and even though some parts seemed quite outdated, it was a great book - I just had to keep in mind, when this book was originally published. Definitely a four star book. And yesterday evening I finished reading The Final Empire. The beginning was good, but nothing special. But then from chapter to chapter, page to page, it became more and more gripping. I need to find out how the story continues, so I'm definitely going to start with the second book this evening.
Unfortunately I didn't watch any new movies in the last weeks. Just rewatched some older stuff.

WJD

So just to clarify, every episode of Sherlock constitutes a movie in this? Cause I've just watched the first two and wondering if I can add them to my list.

So just to clarify, every episode of Sherlock constitutes a movie in this? Cause I've just watched the first two and wondering if I can add them to my list.

I wouldn't count it as a movie. I only count movies as a movie. But its not like we have fun police here who'll stop ya. :b

WJD

I wouldn't count it as a movie. I only count movies as a movie. But its not like we have fun police here who'll stop ya. :b

From the OP:

What constitutes a movie? - Like obscenity, you’ll know it when you see it! TV films, direct-to-video stuff, feature films...it all counts. Episodic content does not count (some exceptions exist, like the hour-and-a-half long Sherlock episodes).

Not too fussed either way, but if it counts I might as well throw them in!

From the OP:

Not too fussed either way, but if it counts I might as well throw them in!

Yeah go ahead. Nobody is stopping ya. I just don't count stuff like that. I also don't count 500+ page books as two books either. Its just how I roll.

I really have to get around to watching Sherlock btw. I heard good things. Plus Cumberbatch was great in Star Trek. His voice is mesmerizing.

WJD

Yeah go ahead. Nobody is stopping ya. I just don't count stuff like that. I also don't count 500+ page books as two books either. Its just how I roll.

I really have to get around to watching Sherlock btw. I heard good things. Plus Cumberbatch was great in Star Trek. His voice is mesmerizing.

Yeah I wouldn't count an extra long book as two, but a 90 minute episode of television makes sense to me.

I've really enjoyed the two episodes I've seen so far, though I though the first was substantially better than the second.

Yeah I wouldn't count an extra long book as two, but a 90 minute episode of television makes sense to me.

I've really enjoyed the two episodes I've seen so far, though I though the first was substantially better than the second.

Regarding Sherlock, I added them to the OP based on their length and the "will of the community." Several folks got really into them last year and counted then on their lists. I'm new to them this year, but based on the length, production value, and overall presentation (which mirrors film more than TV) I get the argument.

It may be a bit of a slippery slope, but I'm counting them. Ultimately, everyone ends up slightly tweaking the rules and interpreting them to their liking. We have folks who count long books as two (I don't). We have folks that refuse to count comics (I would under certain circumstances). We have folks who are counting stuff they've seen before (which goes against the "official" rules).

I'm certainly not going to go through people's lists and verify their authenticity. One guy posted a five page short story as a book and I bit my tongue...I don't want to be the challenge police. :p

Atrophis

Sherlock is a TV show!

My February is pretty much wasted thanks to the Olympics. Watched one documentary and read half a book :/

Empty

Empty - 11/50 books | 16/50 movies

books -

11. the centaur by john updike - touching, beautifully written novel about a father and adolescent son during three snowy days of their lives in rural/small town pennsylvania. the book takes stock of these two characters facing uncertainties in their lives: the father having a mid-life crisis of sorts as he starts to engage with the nearness of death and struggles with his insecurity about whether he's made the right choices; the son dealing with his nerves over his skin condition and establishing near adult relationships with girls and his father. the characters are captured with a warmth and good heart and their relationship is full of push and pull, that simultaneous love and frustration that you feel towards family members and the contradictory way that children inherit some essential traits from their parents but also as they become adults seek to define themselves in opposition to them. yet it all comes from this real sense of tenderness instead of teen angst. the character stuff is great but the book is also enlivened by the staggering beauty of updike's descriptive prose; he makes a crummy town, boring school and a standard countryside seem so stunning and after reading sessions i'd try to pay more attention to the details in the world around me that he brings to prominence so delightfully.

i really wanted to give this book five stars but i didn't gell with the decision to intersperse this grounded story with allusions to greek mythology and the tale of chiron the centaur. varying from subtle nods in the text, to details in the story to full scenes of greek gods talking in order to echo the main story. now admittedly i don't know that much about greek mythology - i did wikipedia a bunch of stuff to try and understand, though - and i'm not the smartest when it comes to metaphor, subtext etc, so i could just be missing the depth here, but i didn't find it added to the story and wanted to skip all that baggage when it came up. thankfully it isn't a huge part of the book - there will be 100 page stretches with only the briefest mention, which maybe helps make it feel so disposable.

films -

16. her - stylish and well acted, this look at a man's relationship with a convincingly human voice operated a.i is plausibly realized but feels a bit devoid of meaning or purpose. spike jonze's films all look great and i really enjoyed all the little attempts to imagine future tech, jobs, fashion, computers, videogames, public spaces and interior design. it's depictions of twenty years of so in the future are a bit utopian or upper, very privileged middle class but i think jonze is more interested in creating something that looks pristine and beautifully designed than a more plausible blade runner esque vision of the future high tech mega city (which will be far more congested than the quiet, open spaces in this film). as for the story, well it's pretty good. the concept is realized plausibly, phoenix is as good as usual, it's often funny and it explores the concept quite thoroughly right down to an incredibly awkward sex scene. my main reservation is that it seems really self-contained, it explores it's concept properly but truly great science fiction for me explores real world issues through the technology. this was exacerbated by re-watching eternal sunshine of the spotless mind last week, as per my v-day tradition, which has a ton to say about how relationships work through its high concept idea of being able to wipe memories. while this occasionally hinted at the lead's failed marriage being because he tried to dictate an image of his partner which makes a computer program created from his dream idea of someone appealing, this was a subtle undertone and the main takeaway seemed to be that advanced computers can be just like humans too and maybe even more perfect in the relationship except without monogamy and don't need humans like humans do other people. which is uh not that interesting to me.

Jintor

Jintor - 12/50 books | 9/50 movies

Factory Girls: From City to Village in a Changing China - Leslie Chang &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

I thought this book would be a relatively dry research piece into migrant workers in China, but instead, it's something more; infused with personality and meaning that turns something that is fundamentally about people into, well, something that is fundamentally about people. It's unapologetically subjective journalism, that doesn't try to stay neutral, that makes judgement calls, that tries to retain its balance but can't help trying to learn lessons or draw conclusions from its subject matter, and that's what makes it so fascinating. Leslie Chang mixes disparate tales of migrant girls with her own family history and reflections to paint a picture of a side of modern China rarely seen, heard or even discussed, and to paint it in detail, to bring it to life. It is its imperfections that make this book enjoyable.

The Return of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Excellent, pulpish short story collection. I was particularly taken with the finale story.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Time to update!

Movies 17/50

1. The Secret of the Grain
2. Wuthering Heights (2008)
3. The Last Temptation of Christ
4. The Worlds End
5. Very Annie Mary
6. Damage
7. Blue Jasmine
8. Last Tango in Paris
9. Manhattan Murder Mystery
10. Greenberg
11. Blue is the Warmest Colour
12. Casino
13. The Passenger
14. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
15. Simon Killer
16. Short Term 12
17. 12 Years a Slave

Books (5/50)

1. Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut
2. My Antonia by Willa Carter
3. Why Read Moby-Dick by Nathaniel Philbrick
4. A Short Introduction to Hegel by Peter Singer
5. Hate: A Romance by Tristan Garcia

ScribbleD

Are we supposed to be making a new post for each update or just editing our initial posts? And is it the same deal for the 52 games challenge in the gaming forum?

Are we supposed to be making a new post for each update or just editing our initial posts? And is it the same deal for the 52 games challenge in the gaming forum?

I'm tracking off your original post, so if that's up to date you'll be fine. The frequent updates you see are people discussing what they've finished and providing recommendations.

No idea about the game challenge. People on this forum never play games, they just add them to their backlogs. ;)

Saya

Saya - 6/50 books | 64/50 movies

Books:
  • The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½

Finally finished with the Way of Kings. Reading Blood Song by Anthony Ryan at the moment and it is excellent.

Movies:

• Behind the Candelabra (Steven Soderbergh, 2013) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Knights of Badassdom (Joe Lynch, 2013) - &#9733;&#9733;
  • Rust and Bone [De rouille et d'os] (Jacques Audiard, 2012) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½
  • Super (James Gunn, 2011) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Insomnia (Christopher Nolan, 2002) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • We're the Millers (Rawson Marshall Thurber, 2013)- ½
  • The White Ribbon [Das weisse Band] (Michael Haneke, 2009) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • RoboCop (Jose Padilha, 2014) - &#9733;&#9733;
  • Funny Games (Michael Haneke, 1997) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Blood Simple (Joel & Ethan Coen, 1984) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Naked Lunch (David Cronenberg, 1991) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Deliver Us from Evil (Amy Berg, 2006) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Jim Sharman, 1975) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The LEGO Movie (Chris Miller & Phil Lord, 2014) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Descent: Part 2 (Jon Harris, 2009) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • All Is Lost (J.C. Chandor, 2013) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½

ScribbleD

ScribbleD - 3/50 books | 5/50 movies

Books
Dragon Age: The Calling - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½
Dracula - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Movies
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½
Goodfellas - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Gladiator - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½
Kung Pow - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½
Oldboy - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Mr.Swag

Banned
Idk if I'll ever be able to hit 50 books
I just classify book reading time differently from TV time. TV time is more susceptible to be multitasked. I find that when I read a book it means I have to have the right environment and be mentally awake and sober. So that doesn't really happen that often...

Sadly tho, this year I've read less than year so far

leroidys

Saya - 6/50 books | 64/50 movies

Books:
  • The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½

Finally finished with the Way of Kings. Reading Blood Song by Anthony Ryan at the moment and it is excellent.

Movies:

• The LEGO Movie (Chris Miller & Phil Lord, 2014) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½

ZjStgFt.jpg

Yang-Yang does not approve.

Saya

Yang-Yang does not approve.

Yeah, I might need to give it another try. I had high expectations and I understood what the film tried to do, but it didn't quite work for me. There are some really good scenes scattered throughout the film though. :(

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Books
  • The Devoted Friend (1888), Oscar Wilde - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - One of the most annoying stories ever told. It even has a moral, the worst kind of story. About a man who abuses an idiot, all in the name of friendship. It takes a while for the moral to sink in. At first it just makes you angry, then you realise.
  • The Happy Prince (1888), Oscar Wilde - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - A story about a boy statue that is always happy. When he was a real boy he was always happy. Now as a statue he is covered in gold and jewels. He befriends a bird that helps him in spreading joy by sharing his wealth. A nice fairy tale.
  • The Portrait of Mr. W.H. (1889), Oscar Wilde - &#9733;&#9733; - Oscar Wilde's fan fiction about Shakespeare. An interesting read apart from me not knowing any real Shakespeare. It's devoid of anything other than theories. Perhaps the best way to have conspiracy theories without saying it out loud. Purely as a story it's uninteresting. As a Shakespeare-lover, which I know too little to be, it might be an interesting read.
  • The Thing on the Doorstep (1891), H.P. Lovecraft - &#9733;&#9733;½ - The least interesting thing I've read that Lovecraft has written that tangents the Cthulhu-mythos. The Mad Arab is only mentioned briefly and it adds nothing to the larger narrative. Hidden is a great horror story never really told. It's so by the books Lovecraftian that it comes of as incredibly boring.

Movies
  • Jack the Giant Slayer (2013, dir. Bryan Singer) - &#9733; - What a complete waste of everyone's time. The early CG is bad and would have benefitted the story better if it was hand drawn. Ewan McGregor is a complete waste. In his only fight scene he is portrayed as a complete wimp. Nothing redeeming about this movie.

mfiuza

Update (Finally)

Finished Inferno (&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½) by Dan Brown. I really enjoy this kind of recipe on Dan Brown's books. Although Inferno seemed to have a little more twists than his other books. But it was a fun book. Action-mistery light movie fun. The ending I was not expecting at all, which is a good sign, I guess.

Movies

Fruitvale Station &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½
Grounded: The Making of the Last of Us &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Books

Sweet Tooth: Volumes 1-6 (Jeff Lemire) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
The Cuckoo's Calling (Robert Galbraith) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Sweet Tooth is one of the greatest comics I've read. Had me hooked from the very start up until it's huge climactic ending. Super emotional, great characters, great story, great artwork (per usual from Lemire). Loved everything about this. Here's my actual rating for it:
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

And Grounded was awesome. I've always wanted more documentaries/movies that focus on gaming and the process of game development. I thought Indie Game: The Movie was great and interesting. Last of Us is one of my favorite games (if not my favorite), so naturally, I loved this.

Nearly done with gravity's rainbow and 50pgs away from finishing Latro in the Mist.

If all 50 books were as difficult as GR, I'd finish 20 at most. Sometimes I spend 3 1/2 minutes on a page!

peculiarpatrick

Neo Member
Updated: 6-13-14

peculiarpatrick - 4/50 Books | 41/50 Movies

Movies:

• American Mystic &#9733;
  • American Psycho &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Barefoot in the Park &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Bears &#9733;&#9733;
  • Bernie &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Blackfish &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Bottle Rocket &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Bronies &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Captain America: The Winter Solider &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Clerks &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Coming to America &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Chronicle &#9733;&#9733;
  • Divergent &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Drinking Buddies &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Duplex &#9733;
  • Extract &#9733;&#9733;
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Godzilla (2014) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Gravity &#9733;&#9733;
  • Her &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Mansome &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Moonrise Kingdom &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Reanimator &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • RoboCop (1987) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • Robocop (2014) &#9733;&#9733;
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Darjeeling Limited &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Last Stand &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The LEGO Movie &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones &#9733;&#9733;
  • The Nut Job &#9733;&#9733;
  • The Stuff &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Talented Mr. Ripley &#9733;&#9733;
  • The Thomas Crown Affair &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Untouchables &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • The Wolf of Wall Street &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • 300: Rise of an Empire &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • 47 Ronin &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Books:

• George R. R. Martin - A Game of Thrones (over 500 pages, counts as two) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
  • George R. R. Martin - A Clash of Kings (over 500 pages, counts as two) &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Mumei

Update:

Mumei - 24/50 Books | 7/50 Movies

I just realized that it has been nine days since my last update, and this just won't do.

I currently have five books going, and I finished League of Denial: The NFL, Concussions and the Battle for Truth today. I don't know if it was as eye-opening for me as it might have been for other people when it first came out; I picked up quite at least the gist of it through the magic of osmosis. But the details were what made the book, so I still learned a great deal.

I also watched the documentary film, which covers essentially the same material, albeit in much less detail. And on a sidenote, I'm glad that the preliminary concussion deal covered in the book and documentary was rejected by the judge.

I should have more to update tomorrow~

Woo-hoo, finished my first book! Starting right along with the next one - Clash of Kings.

Books:

1. The Shining (Stephen King, 1977) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Really good book. Creepy, disturbing, well-written. Better than the movie IMO. Significantly different too. I found it really hard to get Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duval out of my head though.

Mumei

Update~

Mumei - 26/50 Books | 7/50 Movies

I finished reading All the Odes: A Bilingual Edition, by Pablo Neruda and Global Crisis: War, Climate Change and Catastrophe in the Seventeenth Century, by Geoffrey Parker on Thursday and Friday. I strongly recommend both if you're interested in odes or history (lol). Global Crisis was particularly riveting.

I'm also reading The Great Book of Amber, by Roger Zelazny.. I've read the first three books and I'm a good way into the fourth. I think I'm just going to count it as one book, though. So far they seem all of a piece, though that might change in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom