• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [February] Now Voting - Post 808!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I had actually forgotten until today that the Shadowrun expansion is coming out Thursday too so that is another one to cram in. I really hope it is more open-ended like they have been promising.

Whaaaaaaaat. Aw, shit. I should get around to finishing the main quest, damn.

daydream

Banned
Action Painting Pro - Free (PC, Mac, Linux

Here's my masterpiece:

dtb5vnV.jpg

I'll take bets starting at $10.000 $9.999 because it's you guys.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Here's my masterpiece:

dtb5vnV.jpg

I'll take bets starting at $10.000 $9.999 because it's you guys.

The artist struck a very interesting balance between the green plain, representing our monotonous world that is only slightly set apart from the background and the overall masses of people, and the blue and red waves disrupting the green monotony of our lives. You can clearly see how this work reflects a progression of life from left to right, in that the overall green "mass" gives birth to the green plain in the middle, representing our life, which goes along its path until it meets intermingling forces, which could be important people in your life or important events, that follow your own path and eventually mixing or parting ways again. The artists interpretation of this particular life was either the death of the "protagonist" as the green plain fades away, or the beginning of a new period of life by mixing with the blue color. Maybe it is the creation of a single household with another human being, or in the earlier example concerning the death, the memory that lives on as mixed with blue.

Toma

I don't get it. You call this art? Looks like you were jumping around with a spray can

*slaps you with a glove*

Mr. Badass, we have a dispute to settle. You dont seem understand the subtle nuances of modern art.

*walks away*

If you want to try and win a free copy of XenoRaptor, dev is doing a giveaway contest
If you’re interested in winning a free copy, get a top 10 score on any demo map and send me a screenshot before 3/3/2014.

The artist struck a very interesting balance between the green plain, representing our monotonous world that is only slightly set apart from the background and the overall masses of people, and the blue and red waves disrupting the green monotony of our lives. You can clearly see how this work reflects a progression of life from left to right, in that the overall green "mass" gives birth to the green plain in the middle, representing our life, which goes along its path until it meets intermingling forces, which could be important people in your life or important events, that follow your own path and eventually mixing or parting ways again. The artists interpretation of this particular life was either the death of the "protagonist" as the green plain fades away, or the beginning of a new period of life by mixing with the blue color. Maybe it is the creation of a single household with another human being, or in the earlier example concerning the death, the memory that lives on as mixed with blue.

I never could conceive you're an art critic Toma.

Principia - $10, $4 (PC, IOS, Android)
2064-0.jpg

http://principiagame.com/about

Principia is a sandbox physics puzzle/adventure game. Principia contains over 190 unique objects that can be combined with each other both mechanically and electronically.
In Adventure mode you play as the robot, you can interact with the physics freely and even build using objects as you play. Gather resources by mining, and gather oil by installing Oil Rigs. Use the factory to construct objects that can be used for building your own house or maybe a spacecraft!

Android trailer
Community levels trailer

Excellent in-depth article How Do You Make An RPG After Dark Souls? (Part 1, Part 2). It's a great read
Our own Matt White (Ghost Song) also talks about his game and how it was influenced by Dark Souls.

arcanadei

Whaaaaaaaat. Aw, shit. I should get around to finishing the main quest, damn.

Check out some of the user sub content as well. There was one very promising open ended one called Shadowrun Unlimited that I started playing briefly before having PC issues. It is designed as an homage to the old Genesis version, which is a very good thing in my opinion.

Toma

Check out some of the user sub content as well. There was one very promising open ended one called Shadowrun Unlimited that I started playing briefly before having PC issues. It is designed as an homage to the old Genesis version, which is a very good thing in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the modding support. I never played the first game, so I was hoping someone would make a mod remake.

Btw, I totally love how we can talk about any random relatively unknown game in here, haha.

daydream

Banned
Surprised no one else has posted their votes yet. Remember that February is short, only 3 days left in the month

I'll definitely post mine, gotta keep up my trademark lateness.

(Also, I don't want to face the fact that I can't vote for Octodad/Floor Is Jelly/Nidhogg because I haven't played them, yet.)

Toma

There are some seriously interesting projects out there. Got contacted by a poster who is working on a website project on the critical evaluation of a certain Indie Game and he mentioned using my quotes for it. Not gonna spill the beans just yet, as I dont know whether he is fine with me mentioning it already, but I told him to post it here once the website is up.

I should dig around sometime to see whether there are more critical pieces on indie games, not just reviews.

VOTING
  • Dojo of the Death - Simple but fun and addicting.
  • Olympia Rising - Surprise of the month, the game plays well, has a charming protagonist, the difficult is spot on and the various moves allow some crazy combos.
  • Zero - Not much to talk about this one it's a well made, but short, shmup.
  • The Rapture Is Here And You Will Be Forcibly Removed From Your Home - IMO it's an amazing experience, the game is capable of passing to you a feel of loneliness and despair.
  • simian.interface - Another surprise from this month, the game start relatively simple but as you progress the puzzles start to incorporate more diverse mechanics and gets hard as expected
Honor mentions
  • Joe X
  • From Hell's Heart - The gifs looked so good but unfortunately the game didn't clicked with me.
  • Inexistence - I liked the concept, but it's nothing new. I found the control keys assigned odd and got a crash in the pause menu.

I also tried to play Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor but the games doesn't work in my laptop, it starts and play the music but all I see is a black screen.
===========================================================

I'll trying to squeeze some more games in my free time to make a meaty voting list.

daydream

Banned
I should dig around sometime to see whether there are more critical pieces on indie games, not just reviews.

I have some sites bookmarked, but generally, Critical Distance offers a good weekly overview, if you're looking to get into games criticism (online, anyway). They're not exclusively highlighting pieces on indie games, though, obviously.

Cosmochoria - Free browser demo, late 2014 (PC, Mac, Linux)
screenshot4.jpg

http://www.cosmochoria.com/

Cosmochoria is a love letter to old-school action / arcade games like Asteroids, Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. Cosmochoria is a mesmerizing way to kill hours: hopping between planets, unravelling forgotten mysteries, killing aliens and planting seeds to sprout new life across a long-barren galaxy.

Tesseract - Free demo (PC)
Tesseract13.jpg

http://propelledbird.com/Tesseract/

A puzzle game designed around a cube with a 4th Dimension. Use this cube to manipulate physics to solve the puzzles of your environment.

Toma

I have some sites bookmarked, but generally, Critical Distance offers a good weekly overview, if you're looking to get into games criticism (online, anyway). They're not exclusively highlighting pieces on indie games, though, obviously.

Very interesting, thanks for the link.

Is it bad form to post about one's own game in this thread?
The more developers that post about their games here, the better :)

@Toma - have another question. So for the KS thread, I set up a similar template to here, with info and then a quote with a description and an image. But then I realized that the downside is that you can't simply copy the quoted info, because it doesn't show up when you quote that post. How did you put together the Indie OPs with our posts?

Toma

The more developers that post about their games here, the better :)

@Toma - have another question. So for the KS thread, I set up a similar template to here, with info and then a quote with a description and an image. But then I realized that the downside is that you can can't simply copy the quoted info, because it doesn't show up when you quote that post. How did you put together the Indie OPs with our posts?

Doing it by hand, you cant quickly copy it, which is also why I wrote a program for it to take care of those updates.

Toma

Reminder, last day of voting tomorrow because its a very short month. Hopefully helpful minilist:

Toma's list of games you should check out this month before the voting:

Bloodlust Shadowhunter - Surprisingly deep RPG with vampire theme.
Heroes of a Broken Land - Randomly generated dungeon crawler that is still currently in development and adding features/improvements.
Hyphen - Decent Kuri Kuri style game that would profit from a more likeable presentation.
Inexistance - Charming 2D action platformer that needs some more polish and refinement, but has a solid base.
Lemma - Great parkour game with very beautiful vistas.
Lyne - Fantastic puzzle game with tons of content, especially worthwhile on a mobile platform.
Magicians and Looters - Surprisingly good Metroidvania.
Nidhogg - MP focussed one hit death shenanigans. Very exciting to play once you get the hang of it.
Olympia Rising - One of the best action platformers I've played lately. Very refined and satisfying mechanics.
The Banner Saga - Very stylish and interesting RPG.
The Castle Doctrine - A unique MP concept perfectly executed. Build defenses and rob other guys homes.
The Floor is Jelly - Very charming 2D platformer that gets harder than I thought at first. Very enjoyable presentation.
Ultimate Space Commando - Fantastic squad TBS game that unfortunately still misses content, but is still in active development.
Void Destroyer - Space RTS/Combat game with tons of options.

There are some other interesting ones, like Strike Vector, but others will need to recommend those :p

Now with WIP dual wielding

Looks more like a top-down Stranglehold, than Hotline Miami IMO. Just needs some slo-mo diving

Loving how this might end up. I can always respect a game which follows the rules of if you're gonna let people duel wield then let them shoot in two directions at once.

Top Bottom