• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

tuco11

Didn't Socom 1 come out end of August? I 'll never forget taking off work, setting up the router for the first time and playing online. What a great game.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I really don't understand why Insomniac is still the only developer making next gen games that seems capable of delivering a game on time. How are they able to pump out three great titles, and these guys in three times the amount of time can't get one out on time? July or even August would be a perfect time for SOCOM, but if it's going up against the fray in September, it's stands less of a chance of standing out.

I honestly can't believe Killzone got pushed back to fall too. If it goes into 09 it is officially on my do not care list anymore. There are too many great titles coming out in the next 9 months, and Killzone is losing all its hype by being pushed back. It's also going to suffer from the problem of not being as impressive because Resistance II and games like that are going to probably be close to what Killzone has to offer in terms of tech. Who knows what we'll be seeing in 09 on the PS3, but I know that Killzone 2 won't seem as impressive then.

GQman2121

Banned
tuco11 said:
Didn't Socom 1 come out end of August? I 'll never forget taking off work, setting up the router for the first time and playing online. What a great game.

Yep.

On the bright side, if you're a GAP member you'll more than likely get to play the beta for a month from July to late August. That's some what the same time frame Zipper took with Socom II. The game had a beta for a little over a month, then came out in November.

If you guys haven't registered your PS3's online, now is the time to do it. Just head over to Playstation.com and sign up. Look on the back of you're system and input your number near the bar code.

Safe Bet

Banned
tuco11 said:
Not very "nostalgic" to me.
I honestly don't see how the old maps are going to feel the same with twice the amount of players, but I'll guess we'll have to wait and see...

32 players on Crossroads sounds like a complete clusterfuck.

The map was "busy" enough with just 16, imagine 32...

*shudder*

The more I hear about the game the more it sounds like all the "SOCOM II in HD!!!" talk was just simple PR bullshit to bait old fans of the series who moved on to other pastures.

Kittonwy

Banned
drakesfortune said:
I really don't understand why Insomniac is still the only developer making next gen games that seems capable of delivering a game on time. How are they able to pump out three great titles, and these guys in three times the amount of time can't get one out on time? July or even August would be a perfect time for SOCOM, but if it's going up against the fray in September, it's stands less of a chance of standing out.

I honestly can't believe Killzone got pushed back to fall too. If it goes into 09 it is officially on my do not care list anymore. There are too many great titles coming out in the next 9 months, and Killzone is losing all its hype by being pushed back. It's also going to suffer from the problem of not being as impressive because Resistance II and games like that are going to probably be close to what Killzone has to offer in terms of tech. Who knows what we'll be seeing in 09 on the PS3, but I know that Killzone 2 won't seem as impressive then.

Naughty Dog delivered UNCHARTED on-time.
angry.gif

GQman2121

Banned
drakesfortune said:

I feel the same way, but I'm going to hold off until at lease E3 in July. You just know that more is going to be shown and that Sony should have everything out in full force PR mode by then.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Kittonwy said:
Naughty Dog delivered on-time.
angry.gif

Well Uncharted is my favorite next gen title, so don't get too mad at me. Their release time is still less impressive than Insomniac's though, and I don't see screen tearing in Ratchet. :D Screen tearing and all Uncharted is still my favorite game this gen though, but I wish they would have done more to at least reduce the screen tearing in the big open areas.

When Uncharted II is announced it will be my most anticipated game, so don't be too sad litty Kitty.

Arsenic

tuco11 said:
thanks! typed in the wrong link... still though ,7 maps is bullsh!t. Socom 2 had 16, Call of duty 4 shipped with 16. Give me a full priced game with 16 maps. 32 players is for the birds.
Socom shipped with 22 maps. 7 maps is bullshit, especially since only 1 is a remake, while the rest are in the same region. So much for variety.

And wtf is up with this shit about sprinting? is it for real?

GQman2121

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I honestly don't see how the old maps are going to feel the same with twice the amount of players, but I'll guess we'll have to wait and see...

32 players on Crossroads sounds like a complete clusterfuck.

The map was "busy" enough with just 16, imagine 32...

*shudder*

The more I hear about the game the more it sounds like all the "SOCOM II in HD!!!" talk was just simple PR bullshit to bait old fans of the series who moved on to other pastures.

Let's talk about the old maps and how/where they could be expanded upon, where 32 players will not seem over baring to either side.

None of us have seen the new XR's, so who knows how much they've added to the East and West portions of the map that were blocked off. Hell they could switch up the spawn points, add an under ground tunnel, more towers.......ect. It's limitless really.

A page back I mentioned that they could make the roof on Chain Reaction go all the way across the entire building. That right there is as simple as it gets, and would radically change the way both side would play that map. Add a stair case on the terrorist side so that they could access the roof, and bam; here's my money.

What ever they do to make the maps larger, I just hope that it limits the amount of frags that are tossed as soon as rounds start. The Ruins is a perfect example of a great map that could go even bigger for 16 player games. Far to often you would see people running right up and tossing nades over top where the bomb pick up was located. There needs to be a little bit more time in between how far each side has to travel to get to where the other team spawns. No much time, but a few seconds more than a few of the maps offered.

Safe Bet

Banned
drakesfortune said:
I really don't understand why Insomniac is still the only developer making next gen games that seems capable of delivering a game on time.
What's more impressive to me is the support they have given Resistance post-release.

It puts every other developer, both PC and Console, to shame..

(I guess Bungie deserves a mention in this regard though, right?)

If only I enjoyed the gameplay in Resistance more (radar and weapon switching kill it for me)...

*sniff*

GQman2121 said:
None of us have seen the new XR's, so who knows how much they've added to the East and West portions of the map that were blocked off. Hell they could switch up the spawn points, add an under ground tunnel, more towers.......ect. It's limitless really.

Like I said, the more I hear about the game the less it sounds like a SOCOM II remake.

In fact, the more I hear the more I doubt the game will be a Day 1 purchase for me.

All they had to do was turn SOCOM II into an HD game and all the old fans would have eaten the shit up, but no that was just too fucking simple.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
drakesfortune said:

in·som·ni·a –noun inability to obtain sufficient sleep, esp. when chronic; difficulty in falling or staying asleep; sleeplessness.

in·som·ni·ac –noun 1. a person who suffers from insomnia.

...thats the only reason i can think of :lol

Doel

Call me crazy, but the new stuff I've heard about so far doesn't bug me.

Sprinting - I'm not passing judgment until I play it myself. But seems like a fine addition
Open Mics system - I'm liking what I'm hearing. It's the kind of thing I wanted.
No custom Ranked rooms - I'm fine with this as long as there is still stat tracking for unranked/custom
September 16th - I was really expecting July, but I'm fine with September

Doel

New post from Seth Luisi on the Playstation blog.

The most interesting part of that post?

P.S. We are looking for a select few to provide early feedback on SOCOM: Confrontation in an upcoming Private Beta test. Only the top contributors at the Official SOCOM Blog will be selected. We are on the look out for people who have intense knowledge of all the previous SOCOM games and can also demonstrate their leadership in the Message Boards and Comments section. More details soon.

:D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Doel said:
New post from Seth Luisi on the Playstation blog.

The most interesting part of that post?

:D

You look like a perfect candidate Doel :lol

Hey, Seth, me and Doel are very good friends! For real!

GQman2121

Banned
Is anyone down to play Socom II this weekend? I would go and pick up a USB mic for cheap if we could get a group of legit players together.

FabCam

Horrible timing IMO. I was really looking forward to filling my Summer void with this. Now this, R2 and KZ2 are coming out with a month of each other?

Safe Bet

Banned
GQman2121 said:
Is anyone down to play Socom II this weekend? I would go and pick up a USB mic for cheap if we could get a group of legit players together.
I'll smoke every fucking one of you...

I hope.. ;)

Havnt been on in like a year but sure lol.

Actually friday night would be a little better for me.

GQman2121

Banned
Agent Ironside said:
Havnt been on in like a year but sure lol.

Actually friday night would be a little better for me.

I was thinking more like Sunday night. Friday-Saturday are my boozin/football days of the week. :p

Wollan

Surprised a date is announced so early but helps clear up the confusion.

No reason to be bummed though. July/August get's swallowed up in E3/Leipzig and your brain will melt with the amount of new info. Those months fly like that *snaps fingers*

~Devil Trigger~

WolfAlex said:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7940/000007nl3.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1607/000112br8.jpg[IMG]

Video gameplay in HD (1280x720)

[url]http://rapidshare.com/files/102865915/socomconfrontation.wmv.html[/url]

IMHO, horrible [B]Year Old Footage[/B] game :([/QUOTE]

[B]fixed[/B]

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wollan said:
Surprised a date is announced so early but helps clear up the confusion.

No reason to be bummed though. July/August get's swallowed up in E3/Leipzig and your brain will melt with the amount of new info. Those months fly like that *snaps fingers*

The problem is how can you play Socom Conf., Killzone, and Resistence 2 online all within 3 months?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
GQman2121 said:
Let's talk about the old maps and how/where they could be expanded upon, where 32 players will not seem over baring to either side.

A page back I mentioned that they could make the roof on Chain Reaction go all the way across the entire building. That right there is as simple as it gets, and would radically change the way both side would play that map. Add a stair case on the terrorist side so that they could access the roof, and bam; here's my money.

What ever they do to make the maps larger, I just hope that it limits the amount of frags that are tossed as soon as rounds start. The Ruins is a perfect example of a great map that could go even bigger for 16 player games. Far to often you would see people running right up and tossing nades over top where the bomb pick up was located. There needs to be a little bit more time in between how far each side has to travel to get to where the other team spawns. No much time, but a few seconds more than a few of the maps offered.

Right!

The plan is simple. Extend and DONT recreate. Crossroads wasn't busy with 16. It was perfect for 16. The teams of 8 with usually split evenly across the three available walkways and you'd have small battles of 2v2 or 3v3. So when they double the numbers, you just double the amount of space at the chokepoints (remember there were alot and only 2 or so people could fit in these connecting alleys that connected the roads and center square) and provide more cover. I imagine why people feel SOCOM will be smothering with 32 is because of grenades. Grenades were stupid in the first two anyway so some fine tuning to counter-strike levels (moderate distance, moderate damage) should ease everyone's concerns. Lets just hope they don't continue to let people ken griffey jr. balls over buildings n' shit.

Oh gentle jesus leave chain reaction out of this.....lets talk about....Desert Glory YESSSSS.

I want DG at night (already done in s3?) Didnt play s3.

Oh and Ruins, nade fest 2004, didnt really like this map but yes, the only time when more players wouldnt be good for that map is in the first min of the round, im not tryin to lag out you know, but yeah, more area between the spawns and bomb house would be great. Blizzard would be great also, you might could fit even more players in that map the way it is. But please, please give me my day time Abandon back!

Madman

drakesfortune said:

I see this sort of stuff all of the time and without knowing what goes on behind the scenes, no one can say for sure. Killzone and Guerilla are an easy answer, they had to make Killzone: Liberation and support it with free DLC. Slant Six is a small team and more people can't be added because the game is supposed to be a budget title. Plus, if the September release holds, the game would have taken less then 2 years to make.

I had a long arguement with Kittonwy about this. I even made up a long list of all Sony's developer's outputs and how they all contribute. The main reason why others aren't in Insomniac's position is because Insomniac didn't develop for the PSP and left the PS2 fairly early. I guess ND did the same, but Uncharted was fucking awesome so you really can't get on them for a somewhat slow output. And they have a relatively small team.

Doel

Main points from the EGM article (from this thread):

"I work for a video game company so i get mine early" -daedum

-Its 10 pages long, with 15 new screenshots

GAMEPLAY

-You can roll or underhand a grenade with real physics

-You can lean your guy with the six-axis instead of the d-pad

-There is proximity chat

-Your clan can talk via open chat, but you can L2 to chat to everyone on your team. Or if you have proximity chat then you chat with who ever is around you.

-Audio has changed. Sounds around a corner sound muffled.

-There is now a run/sprint mode. You can run/sprint but you can’t shoot and your gun will not be accurate after running. So basically just use this too avoid snipers.

-Tilt with the six-axis can be tweaked for sensitivity

-There are exploding barrels and cars.

-View distance is big, so no more fog like SOCOM 2

-Smoke looks dark gray

-They talk about the 3rd person view. They said because the new widescreen TVs have a different ratio, there was too much space on each side of the classic view.

-"Sony's Seth Luisi says, "Because it was more centered towards 4:3 TVs, and now going to 16:9, we have a lot more area off to the sides."

-You can go up on roofs

GAME SETUP & INFO

-Crossroads is bigger than the original

-They are bringing back a new game mode. "Elimination" its like SOCOM 2, kill the whole other team or take a draw

-Crossroads (ps3) has an extra outer ring that the ps2 didn't have. There are two towers now.

-Confrontation is 32 players but you can make smaller maps for 16 players total.

-Improved clan support

-Ranked matches are automated. If you want to set up your own room with specifics (no grenades, etc) it won’t be ranked. This stops cheaters and rank ups.

-"You can no longer set up a match exactly defined to your team’s exact strengths and create a honeypot to raise your clan ranking. For your clan to have a global ranking you now have to be a rounded team with good strategies for dealing with all the maps. Now, you can build all the custom games you want - the room system is still there, which I know is really important to SOCOM fans. You can do all your clan tryouts and training in those rooms, and even playing within those games aggregates different stats, because we track a lot of information about the player. But it doesn't directly go into the global clan ladder." –Seth Luisi

-There will be 7 maps total at launch. All maps will be based in North Africa

-There is an underground map that has a collapse parttriggered by the enemy

-Clan support will be available on socom.com where the leader can change their clan, add players etc.

-There will be a party system so your clan will join the same game.

-The other map that is shown in the article is called URBAN WASTELAND it takes place around a high rise hotel, but it mentions you have access to just the first few stories. It has an underground tunnel network and has some bridges and stuff. There is a multileveled parking garage. This is the same one that was shown in previous screenshots released on the web.

MISC DETAILS

-They are planning on having a new headset for SOCOM.

-It also shows the online numbers of the SOCOM franchise aswell as 2 screenshots from SOCOM 1 & 2

-THERE WILL BE A CLOSED BETA. I think it said they will seekpeople out through SOCOM.com

-Closed beta going on "right now or May"

-Open beta after that.

JB1981

sounds like a decent online shooter - hopefully it offers something different enough from cod 4 that it pulls me away from that game for a while.

GQman2121 said:
They're missing a huge opportunity by not having it out there to follow MGS in late summer.

This. Can you imagine:

July - MGS
August - SOCOM/Madden (though I'm not a fan)
Sept - LPB/Killzone/Fallout 3
Oct - Motorstorm 2
Nov - Resistance 2

That would be 5 months of awesome.

scoobs

sheez... seems like sony is pulling an "07' microsoft" with the way they are releasing all these games in the fall...

~Devil Trigger~

King_Slender said:
This. Can you imagine:

July - MGS
August - SOCOM/Madden (though I'm not a fan)
Sept - LPB/Killzone/Fallout 3
Oct - Motorstorm 2
Nov - Resistance 2

That would be 5 months of awesome.

someone here was sent to die

Who? well, we'll find out on the next, FALL!

...only on FOX:D

Top Bottom