• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

AppleBlade

I'm thinking about getting this game, however I am concerned about the learning curve. Is there an offline mode or someway that would allow me to learn the maps without stress? Anything other suggestions that would allow me to ease my way into it? Thanks.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Greg said:
1.5 patch is finally being released this Tuesday!

Finally! Well I will be playing Socom alot more now, so if anybody wants a game my PSN name is Gunstar77 as well.

I bought this with the headset bundle months ago and just played for the first time today since the beta. I was a long time player of the Zipper developed games since the original. To me it just feels there is something off with this title. I will probably stick with it for a while at least though. Is there a GAF clan going or anything?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Escalation said:
I bought this with the headset bundle months ago and just played for the first time today since the beta. I was a long time player of the Zipper developed games since the original. To me it just feels there is something off with this title. I will probably stick with it for a while at least though. Is there a GAF clan going or anything?

There is, but no one really plays; everyone is still lvl 1.

Add me and I'll send you an invite. I've been playing a bit since the update as well

Armonix

TuxBobble

Ermac said:
There is, but no one really plays; everyone is still lvl 1.

Add me and I'll send you an invite. I've been playing a bit since the update as well

Armonix

Hey, mind inviting me to the clan as well? I've just been getting back into it in the past month or so, and have no clan to speak of. I'm not great, but I have been playing more frequently. (and am looking into participating in the tournament if I get 3 others) My one friend who has the game might also be getting back into it, as well. 1.5 is bringing back players apparently (though I've been around since before 1.42)

Spydy

Banned
Something has happened! *shudders* I'm actually enjoying SOCOM for the first time since I bought it, well over 8 months ago.

This 1.50 patch, maybe, just maybe, has me thinking about SOCOM differently than before the bad old days where I'd swear it should never have been released. I can actually KILL people without the game lagging or stuttering. I can no longer make a coffee between games loading...It's ALL good.

Yeah, I'm finally enjoying SOCOM, although it still has it's bizarre frailties, like members of the same party being split before a game, the odd graphical glitch and best of all, hardcore players putting the beat down on me for being an amateur.

Seriously though, this is my new multi-player game at least until MW2. I need to swat up on levelling, new guns, clans, etc. I'm guessing the SOCOM official site is the place to head?

J-Rzez

What are these new specialization skills? How do they effect your weapons and attachments? Also, is there a listing of the new weapons?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
J-Rzez said:
What are these new specialization skills? How do they effect your weapons and attachments? Also, is there a listing of the new weapons?

The patch included 4 new weapons: AK-74, SR-25 (Commandos) and 9mm Sub, M82A1A (Mercs). The DLC will include 3 new weapons.

Still a far cry from SOCOM 2 as far as content goes, which is quite disappointing. If they had remade all of the S2 maps i'm sure alot more people would be playing this...I hope the next SOCOM has atleast all the older maps.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176517

1up said:
New Russian / Eastern European Area of Operation
Snow setting complete with snow effects, new snow gear and camo for both the Special Forces and Mercenaries, and thermal vision
New ARMS RACE gameplay mode
5 New Maps: Uprising, Entrapment, Blizzard, Night Stalker, Vigilance
All new mercenaries characters with new looks and new VO.
New Special Forces squad, the Russian Spetsnaz
Gun turrets emplacements
New music
All new character specialization/progression system
Allows players to pick a primary and secondary specialization and unlock new equipment exclusive to those specializations
New weapons, including: 3 new weapons, 6 enhanced versions of weapons available as part of the new weapons specialization system, 2 new weapon attachments (including the thermal scope), 5 enhanced versions of weapon attachments also available as part of the new weapons specialization system.
2 new grenade launcher ammo types (flash and smoke)
New Trophies

J-Rzez

It is a pretty beastly DLC package that's for sure. I just saw the weapons and such, good stuff. Only thing I can't find details on are the specialization skills, and how they effect the weapons and attachments. I'm thinking of picking this back up again since I just played a few games and it runs infinite times better than it once did.

Biff

I was completely put off by this map pack, but now that I think about it, $39.99 gave us 7 maps. $9.99 is giving us 5 maps, including one of my all-time faves Blizzard.

*sigh* I'm going to buy it. MW2 has been pissing me off lately anyways.

J-Rzez

ChefRamsay said:
I was completely put off by this map pack, but now that I think about it, $39.99 gave us 7 maps. $9.99 is giving us 5 maps, including one of my all-time faves Blizzard.

*sigh* I'm going to buy it. MW2 has been pissing me off lately anyways.

Yeah, it's quite a packed DLC for $10. And I feel the same about MW2, so I may pick this up to hold me over until MAG. Plus, I love the retro maps. I maybe alone here, but I think the old SOCOM maps are some of the best designed maps ever in a shooter.

No one has info on the weapon specialization stuff yet?

J-Rzez

I will say this, those remakes of the classic maps are flat out fucking awesome. I saw them, didn't recognize them at first, but when I did I really said "wow" to myself. Slant 6 did a bang up job on those.

New guns are awesome. AN-94 is beast.

I "used" to enjoy the different weapons amongst sides, but now I'm starting to second guess that. I think I'd rather they had them for both sides. Especially pending which side you're on "mainly commandos", you have a distinct advantage here.

Varth

I think it's time form me to give this game a real chance. DLing the uberpatch now. Gonna try to play it until BF Bad Company 2 comes out, since I hate MW2 with a passion, and didn't really fell comfortable with MAG.

Any clue about where to start? Is there a guide anywhere I should read?

Smidget

Played the beta, thought it was crap, have MAG now, but can get this cheap, should I give this another shot? Never played any other SOCOMs...

Top Bottom