• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

ChrisD84

I hope not!

Although i did think it was odd that there's no date for it on the GAME website when it was thought to be coming out on friday.

Click

Banned
I'm about to bite on the supposed $45 Blockbuster deal on the bundle... if I can find one.

Not sure if it'll get cheaper for Black Friday though.

DaFish

Grimm Fandango said:
Need something answered for a friend.

How do you put the included headset into discovery mode?

Dont have the PS3 headset.... but

after you have turned the headset on, just hold the power button for a few seconds (should start blinking)

WindBelow

Neo Member
Yeah just hold the power button until it blinks several times fast, then it will be in discoverable. The new headset is really nice, I like how it has volume decrease on one side and increase on the other side. Also if anybody wants to play or if there is a clan I would love to join: PSN Atrixx

First Socom game and I'm liking it so far. Very intense but rewarding. Three hours of my life just disappeared before I knew it.:D

Like to be added to the GAF clan, although some people are saying it doesn't matter.

PSN: CartridgeBlower

Some of the tips in this thread have been very helpful. Love to keep them coming.

YYZ

Can anyone recommend a bluetooth stereo headset for use with my PS3 as a communication device and as speakers? I don't have speakers so I have to use a BT device to talk in SOCOM, but I also need stereo headphones, all in one device.

Would the Motorola HT line work?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mecha_Infantry said:
I have an unopened copy of Socom Confrontation... but i live on Argentina (South America)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im waiting to that patch to finally open the game :lol

DaFish

Fersis said:
Im waiting to that patch to finally open the game :lol

Your going to have to Install and then download three patches when 1.3 comes around. You might as well get it started now that way you only have to download one thing with 1.3

or not

your choice... :)

Fersis

DaFish said:
Your going to have to Install and then download three patches when 1.3 comes around. You might as well get it started now that way you only have to download one thing with 1.3

or not

your choice... :)
Wut ?Install ?
Like installing the game ? Like MGS4 or GTAIV ?

Started playing this game this week, though I did purchase it when it was first released (for the headset). The game is definitely hard. I have no experience with and other SOCOM games and the 1-life bit takes some getting used to. I don't really feel that the game benefits from the 3rd person view. There seems to be so much effort put into realism, then you can just use the camera to peek around corners . . .

In general it is pretty fun. I have decided to just play unranked for the most part in order to learn the maps and weapons. However, even in this mode the bugs in this game irritate me. Every time I go to engage someone the game literally freezes for about a second and then I have to reposition myself. When playing ranked, this more often than not results in my trip to the spectator's box. I assume this pause is to correct for lag, but it has to be one of the worst ideas for a game like this. Yet, even with this pausing I will often get shot through the wall (bullet lag).

Though this game is not the style I would normally play, it has much better aiming and maps then MGO. Is this "big patch" that everyone is talking about going to fix this lag issue? If that issue remains then I guess my experience will be short lived . . . which is a shame because the potential of this game seems very high. Unfortunate that Sony had to get this out in this state (probably early to get the headset on the market).

Any tips on loadouts or how to get better off the draw? Any sites for noobs like me?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Does anyone know when the 1.3 patch is dropping? Seriously, this game is still a mess for me online, and SS is really hyping it up to be the Jesus patch.

YYZ

YYZ said:
Can anyone recommend a bluetooth stereo headset for use with my PS3 as a communication device and as speakers? I don't have speakers so I have to use a BT device to talk in SOCOM, but I also need stereo headphones, all in one device.

Would the Motorola HT line work?
need help. Is it even possible to use a bluetooth stereo headset as headphones and as a comm device?

RotBot

YYZ said:
some of them do I think, but do they work with PS3?
PS3 only sends voice in to headphones. There's no way to send game audio. You'd have to plug them into a headphone jack on a TV or receiver, so Bluetooth listening is out of the question unless you have a 3.5mm adapter.

You would need independent headphones and microphone to do what you want.

mr stroke

Ermac said:
Does anyone know when the 1.3 patch is dropping? Seriously, this game is still a mess for me online, and SS is really hyping it up to be the Jesus patch.

Anyone have any word on this patch? I have been waiting to buy the game until it was stable online. Seems to be good for some and bad for others?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
mr stroke said:
Anyone have any word on this patch? I have been waiting to buy the game until it was stable online. Seems to be good for some and bad for others?

It may coincide with the European launch (13th February) but then again who knows.

Edit: Reading this thread brings back some memories. I really hope that they fix all the problems with SOCOM so I can get it when it's released over here.

Fersis

mr stroke said:
According to the official socom site january 12.

Ive been playing and it plays perfectly fine. I dunno what problems you guys seem to have with it besides, extra crap like parties and what not which is not that important to the gameplay IMO.

Is there a neoGaf clan i can join?

Rorschach

DemonSwordsman said:
Ive been playing and it plays perfectly fine. I dunno what problems you guys seem to have with it besides, extra crap like parties and what not which is not that important to the gameplay IMO.

Is there a neoGaf clan i can join?
:lol Well, the NeoGAF clan isn't active because of the "extra crap." There's no point to joining a clan right now because you can't have clan matches, see who's online, or join games. I bailed out of the NeoGAF clan and just made my own clan for the extra gun.

I haven't played in a relatively long time, though. Waiting for the patch. :p

Btw- the patch fixes (and enhances) more than just the party stuff.

McLovin

I just got this for Socom Cconfrontation for Christmas. What can I expect? The only thing I know about it is that it was buggy at launch.. did they fix the bugs in this game yet? And how does it compare to the second and third games?(Those where the only other Socom games I played)

McLovin said:
I just got this for Socom Cconfrontation for Christmas. What can I expect? The only thing I know about it is that it was buggy at launch.. did they fix the bugs in this game yet? And how does it compare to the second and third games?(Those where the only other Socom games I played)

Well gameplay wise its as good as Socom 2, ie its amazing. And its not buggy anymore. I think all the launch problems are fixed now, it is a lot of fun.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
DemonSwordsman said:
Well gameplay wise its as good as Socom 2, ie its amazing. And its not buggy anymore. I think all the launch problems are fixed now, it is a lot of fun.

Cool cool, I was going to go buy this game in a couple of days.

McLovin

DemonSwordsman said:
This games addictive. It has its problems but I can't deny its fun.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
McLovin said:
This games addictive. It has its problems but I can't deny its fun.
Well fuck it I am going to buy this game today, getting the 60 dollar version, even though I have a headset already.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Got the game, played for a couple of hours. Oh yeah this game brings me back. The only thing I don't seem to be liking is the stuttering in the game, is it lag frame rate lag or just lag lag?

McLovin

Elbrain said:
Got the game, played for a couple of hours. Oh yeah this game brings me back. The only thing I don't seem to be liking is the stuttering in the game, is it lag frame rate lag or just lag lag?
I noticed it will sometimes stutter when you switch guns and if your in a server that's not local(like if you live in east coast and use a west coast sever). I assume its gonna be patch up later. But yeah theirs nothing like playing some crossroads or that ship stage.. this game brings back so many memories.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Yeah hopefully it is something they can fix, doesn't bother me that much but yeah would be nice if it was fixed.

DoomGyver

I just picked this game up a couple of days ago, if any of the regulars want to add me go ahead.

Have any pointers? this is my first socom.

DaFish

Full Recovery said:
I just picked this game up a couple of days ago, if any of the regulars want to add me go ahead.

Be patient, you don't need to rush in just to get killed off.

dork

Banned
Full Recovery said:

My first socom also, hug a wall.

I always try and have a wall at my back/one side. And as said above don't rush in. I try and hang back and pick people off. Get a mic and try and get some teamwork going.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
dork said:
My first socom also, hug a wall.

I always try and have a wall at my back/one side. And as said above don't rush in. I try and hang back and pick people off. Get a mic and try and get some teamwork going.

This!

O.K after a couple of days of playing how does the rankings work? How to do lvl up , by just killing and assists in the ranked servers? Also do the ranks bring anything? Like customization options and stuff or are they just for show?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
sun-drop said:
when is the throphy patch due for this ..i'm basically waiting on it before i buy ..

Got pushed back into next year. I think the 7th is the earliest they said.

McLovin

You guys aren't going to believe this... but this game.. it made my cousin trade in his 360 and all his games. He was a real addict back in the Socom 1 and 2 days. Playing confrontation brought his old self back o_O I love the game but I didn't think it was that good :lol

mr stroke

Ermac said:
Got pushed back into next year. I think the 7th is the earliest they said.

Any word on this "Jesus Patch" yet? has it hit yet? I am ready to pick the game up, still waiting to make sure this patch makes it playable.

Top Bottom