• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I really can't decide who to use for the rest of the tournament. I'm sort of like Jiggy in that I have personal rules on characters (although not as strict and I don't switch characters in a match unless I lose). And I comitted an 'illegal' act in using ROB two matches in a row but I felt I needed him against Jiggy's character variety. =\

I don't feel I'm all that skilled with ROB actually but the reason I do well is:
1. Character matchups. There aren't many characters I simply feel I can't fight against with ROB. Unlike, say, Dedede where I want all pikachus and diddys to get the hell away from me.
and
2. The natural strengths of ROB as a character compensate perfectly for my weaknesses as a player and allow me to concentrate more on the aspects of the game I'm good at while the nature of the character protects my weaknesses in strategy.

I would love to bring out JigglyPuff but I fear getting killed by 1 or 2 well timed attacks. And I would have to face a lag free opponent to consider Fox.

But I swear to this: if I face Jiggy again in this tournament, I will be using jigglypuff.

Is there anyway to improve connections? This match aganist Teasel I fear will be very laggy. I want to have a test match with him to see how bad it is. If its basically unplayble, what can I do? I dont wanna forfeit and I dont wanna blame lag, but Italy sure is far away.

Dr.Hadji

Dr.Hadji(Kirby) vs Fenix (C.Falcon) on Castle: Winner Dr.Hadji
Dr.Hadji(Falco) vs Fenix (Ike) on Smashville: Winner Dr.Hadji
Winner: Dr.Hadji

Milabrega

Cyan said:
PMed Milabrega. He's been active, so I expect we'll get our match done pretty soon. :)

Can't quite decide who to use against him, though... not sure which of my three favorite characters would give me the best matchup.

Responded, Looks like our match may be tomorrow night or Saturday judging by Cyan's available schedule and my own.

Well, your post history says Pikachu, DK, ZSS and Kirby, Mine says Pit and Lucas (accurately too). Seeing how you won both rounds with Pikachu, and the fact that I think Castle Siege favors Pikachu and ZSS over any of yours or my characters, I'm gonna plan accordingly =).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
SixStringPsycho and I are are set to fight by 9PM my time, which would be 8 or 7 for most of yo Finally my Round 3 fight! So Firestorm, don't update the brackets yet, lemme finish this match. Surprisingl, I am not feeling too confident today =(. I haven't ever played with SixString but yeah.... I don't know why I am not feeling too god. Work depresses me though, so probably when I get out 'll be pumped up :D

Jiggy

Relix said:
So wait let me get this straight. JCX beats Kak. Kak and I are even. I beat JCX. I am even with you and Nabil. Jiggy beats Nabil and Kidd....
It's more like this:
JCX beats Kak. Kak and Relix are even. Relix and Jiggy beat JCX. Kak beats Jiggy. Relix is even with slayn and Nabil. Jiggy beats Nabil. slayn beats Jiggy. Nabil beats slayn.

slayn said:
I really can't decide who to use for the rest of the tournament. I'm sort of like Jiggy in that I have personal rules on characters (although not as strict and I don't switch characters in a match unless I lose). And I comitted an 'illegal' act in using ROB two matches in a row but I felt I needed him against Jiggy's character variety. =\
My character rules are my method of making excuses when I lose. >_> "Well, see, it's only because I had this self-imposed handicap and just wait until I pull an Andross and show you MY TRUE FORM."
...Something like that.

I don't feel I'm all that skilled with ROB actually but the reason I do well is:
1. Character matchups. There aren't many characters I simply feel I can't fight against with ROB. Unlike, say, Dedede where I want all pikachus and diddys to get the hell away from me.
Same with me and R.O.B. He's too well-rounded for me to ignore.

I would love to bring out JigglyPuff but I fear getting killed by 1 or 2 well timed attacks. And I would have to face a lag free opponent to consider Fox.

But I swear to this: if I face Jiggy again in this tournament, I will be using jigglypuff.
What's weird is that I seem to be the only Jigglypuff player around here who's scared to use her in lag. :lol You and dragonlife will happily bust out the puff and kick me around, lag or no, but I'm always like "Nah, can't do it, need non-lagginess so Ike doesn't kill me at 48% and King Dedede at 60%."

slayn

Jiggy37 said:
It's more like this:
JCX beats Kak. Kak and Relix are even. Relix and Jiggy beat JCX. Kak beats Jiggy. Relix is even with slayn and Nabil. Jiggy beats Nabil. slayn beats Jiggy. Nabil beats slayn.

What's weird is that I seem to be the only Jigglypuff player around here who's scared to use her in lag. :lol You and dragonlife will happily bust out the puff and kick me around, lag or no, but I'm always like "Nah, can't do it, need non-lagginess so Ike doesn't kill me at 48% and King Dedede at 60%."
You beat Nabil? really? o_O Because Nabil often (very often) 2 stocks me. I guess he just has a style that trumps mine. Weird.

Jigglypuff is certainly hurt by lag more than, say, ROB or DDD, but nowhere near as bad as Fox. So if I warm up with Fox, then jiggy feels non-laggy.

Nabster92

Jiggy37 said:
It's more like this:

Wait where did this come from??? When did we even play jiggy???

Jiggy

I can't remember if we've ever had a full one-on-one match, but whenever it comes down to the two of us in a free-for-all (which is pretty often), I tend to get more hits in than he does. It's kind of even, I guess, but I'm just generalizing. Kak doesn't beat me all the time either. >_> Actually, yesterday I beat his Wolf when I was Snake, on Yoshi's Island, which is bizarre since I barely ever play as Snake and had no idea what to do other than spamming neutral combos and side tilts. I stuck the C4 on him and then managed to transfer it to myself and blow myself up. And then I blew myself up again a second time later.

Come to think of it, I was talking to JSnake yesterday and he said his Ike can fight pretty evenly with yours. That would boggle my mind if true, only because I almost always two-stock JSnake's Ike in basically every match even when I'm playing random characters. Edit 2: Well, I forgot, JSnake usually plays four-stock matches, so maybe two-stocking isn't that impressive there, but yeah. :p

Edit 1: Whoa, timing. By "yours" I meant "slayn's." >_> Anyway, Nabster, for when we faced off... There must have been at least a few free-for-alls on March 28th. I don't know what the matches were, though, except that I remember getting edgeguarded by Snake all the time.

slayn

yeah, JSnake and I were dueling Ike's for a while and I think I won all but one or two of them but they were all very close. I think I'm just not very cautious when I use Ike myself, and leave myself open a lot for him to get a good kill hit in. Of course if I use ROB, the battle is a different story entirely.

From my very arbitrary point of view, amongst the people already mentioned:

I beat Kak and Jiggy. JCX and Relix (although I've not played him lately) were equal to me. And Nabil beats me.

But all of that doesn't really matter because even in 1v1 there is a difference between me lounging in my computer chair watching the screen from a distance playing a casual match, and me sitting on my couch away from the computer focused 100% on the game at hand. And I assume others are the same.

slayn

What also matters is characters. Like if I play someone 1v1 for, say, 8 matches, I am going to use a different character in all 8 matches. And you are probably the same Jiggy. And so if someone is equal to me, they still might win 6/8 matches simply based on the characters I used.

Blizzard

Banned
So much competition in this thread now. Needs more LUVVVV

On a Jiggy note, I'm still really happy I haven't heard from bigmakstudios after I PMed him, since if I play him I'll undoubtedly LOSE AND BE OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT.

Jiggy

I will say this. I do remember that Nabster was the first person I faced who used the Snakedash, on Final Destination, and that was a one-on-one. At that time he two-stocked me. I think we had another couple of matches, not sure, but at that time I left thinking "What. This guy's freaking unbeatable, I better never play him again because I can't handle that many losses. D:"

But some time between then and now, my perception on that changed and now I think he's in the same class as people like slayn. So, while I don't remember why my thoughts changed, I think there must have been some matches, even if they were free-for-alls. But I could be wrong, and maybe later today he'll destroy me and I'll be reminded why I thought what I did in the first place. >_> We'll see. D:

slayn said:
What also matters is characters. Like if I play someone 1v1 for, say, 8 matches, I am going to use a different character in all 8 matches. And you are probably the same Jiggy. And so if someone is equal to me, they still might win 6/8 matches simply based on the characters I used.
Well, yes, this is very true. I still remember that time I played your King Dedede with I-don't-know-who, and the damage statistics afterward were my 79 to your 231. As compared to last night's epic. >_>

Jiggy

Gonna find another person who'll destroy me. D:
Yeah, okay, I'll add you, and in so doing hit the limit of 64 people registered.

tmdorsey

biggkidd32 said:
I want to play jiggy, kak and slayn 1v1. So there it is you are all officially chanllenged.

I want you to play them too because I'm still upset at how you utterly destroyed me the last time we fought. So I want to see how you stack against them.

:lol

EDIT: I also want vengeance. LOL

slayn

biggkidd32 said:
I want to play jiggy, kak and slayn 1v1. So there it is you are all officially chanllenged.
win your next tournament match and then we will have to face each other officially

edit:
anyone that wants to play me should come ot irc in the evening. I set up all my games there, although I usually prefer 2v2.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Yes, I actually plan to use R.O.B more often throughout the tournament (assuming I ever get a PM back. >_>) because I perform more or less equally well with him against anyone I face. When it comes to Ness and Lucas, I find there are certain matchups that one is better suited for than the other. But when I don't know what character I'm going to face, R.O.B tends to be a better go-to character.

Jiggy

Blizzard said:
I have played slayn 1v1, and still wish to play jiggy 1v1 whenever he finds friends to delete. :p
Speaking of that, the GAF SSBB community needs to figure out some way to determine which people just never show up online anymore, and then I could delete them. But I have no idea how we'd manage that one. :/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Damnit Jiggy, you had to switch to an avatar I used to use.

Granted it was over a year and a half ago, but it still bugs me. :)

Jiggy

:D I try. Spin, Ayu-chan, spin for great justice and taiyaki! I was originally going to just go with the Kanon logo, actually, but in a width of 90 pixels it's not readable enough for my liking.
Do you still have your version of the avatar? It may or may not be better than mine.

OliveJuice said:
I feel so left out :(.
I would have included you, but I don't know how your matches go with anybody except me. >_>

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm not good enough to get an exhaustive Jiggy analysis at how good I am. D:
:p

At this rate, I'm kind of concerned that by the time my second round match gets done, I won't even have time to get my third round match done before the deadline. I don't want to get left further behind than I already am. D:

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Tournament Results

Round 1:

Castle Siege

Marth (Kwokuen) vs. Lucario (Halycon)

Round 2:

Marth (Kwokuen) vs. Zelda/Shiek (Halycon)

Winner: Kwokuen

scottnak

Iam Canadian said:
I'm not good enough to get an exhaustive Jiggy analysis at how good I am. D:
:p

At this rate, I'm kind of concerned that by the time my second round match gets done, I won't even have time to get my third round match done before the deadline. I don't want to get left further behind than I already am. D:
I foolishly tried to flowchart the paragraph of comparisons by Jiggy. That's a headache.

Gonna find another person who'll destroy me. D:
Yeah, okay, I'll add you, and in so doing hit the limit of 64 people registered.
It's alright. You've got a bunch of people like me to play to make ya feel better ;)
... :(

(e) woops wrong thread for that blurb

I feel left out too. Espically because I consider myself to be real good. I think I could have beaten Jiggy if it werent for the lag :lol Each day I play I improve too. Maybe I just need to play more online games to get used to the lag...i guess.

Jiggy

JSnake set to dominate the tournament. D: Just destroyed me in a series of 1-on-1s.
Edit: Including one where he three-stocked me in a four-stock match.
Random gave me freaking Yoshi. :( I rolled off the edge without getting hit beforehand twice. D:

Jiggy37 said:
I would have included you, but I don't know how your matches go with anybody except me. >_>
It's okay to not include me. I'm outside that little circle. Sometimes, the people from that circle will rise up and challenge me, but to no avail, because they just get knocked back down. If any of you disagree, come challenge me anytime.

=D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jiggy37 said:
Do you still have your version of the avatar? It may or may not be better than mine.
I'll see if I can find it, it was before I had my photobucket account.

EDIT: Here they are:

spinning-ayu.gif
spinning-ayu-turbo.gif

OliveJuice said:
It's okay to not include me. I'm outside that little circle. Sometimes, the people from that circle will rise up and challenge me, but to no avail, because they just get knocked back down. If any of you disagree, come challenge me anytime.

=D

I will take you on. 1762-2549-1087

Jiggy

I have saved the Ayu Awesome to my Kanon folder. :D

OliveJuice said:
Don't worry. Maybe you'll beat Dr.Hadji and then go on to face me and claim revenge for our winners' bracket match. :eek:

Firestorm said:
Ok. OliveJuice, you play MaskedMan. Dreavus, you play Kinosen.

Thanks Firestorm. I'll send him a PM soon.

BlueSummers said:
I will take you on. 1762-2549-1087

Haha, Sure. 1934-0346-5121
My friend's list is full right now, I'll try to delete someone and add you. And come on IRC to set up games.

irc.globalgamerscenter.net
#GAF_SB

Top Bottom