• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America's most and least educated cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

higemaru

126 :(

Wonder how much of that is evenly distributed. My guess is a pretty hefty amount but I imagine Hazleton has the least educated population between the three.

prag16

Banned
I don't understand the logic in arbitrarily combining certain "smaller" cities. I see some blatant cases on there where cities/towns are paired up with DRASTICALLY different demographics and median income, etc. Maybe the education gulf isn't as wide, but I'd think there has to be a gulf.

Rocketz

Ann Arbor is cool. I'd move there if I could afford it. I'm only 30 minutes away so I still get to enjoy Frita Batidos whenever. I don't want their traffic though.

Toledo at #92 is expected. Only was there for 5 years for college so i was only really around students the whole time. Walleye and Mudhens games are really fun and cheap.

This list is stupid because it obviously favors urban areas or places with elite universities. There may be a lot of intelligent people born in Bakersfield but none of them stay there, they go to cities where the jobs are.
Yeah I agree. Its obvious that Austin is so high mainly cause there's 50,000 people in the middle of down town that go to UT. Not to mention the capital being there which houses politicians who probably have a bunch of law degrees.

TheFlow

Banned
Hory shit. my city is one of the lowest.

Makes sense, we had a big confederate flag parade last year

An estimated 2,000 vehicles, mostly motorcycles and trucks adorned with Rebel flags, took part in a rally and ride Sunday afternoon in support of keeping a Confederate flag flying in front of the McPherson Governmental Complex in Ocala.

Cocaloch

Yeah I agree. Its obvious that Austin is so high mainly cause there's 50,000 people in the middle of down town that go to UT. Not to mention the capital being there which houses politicians who probably have a bunch of law degrees.

I think you're also overlooking the large tech sector.

This list is stupid because it obviously favors urban areas or places with elite universities. There may be a lot of intelligent people born in Bakersfield but none of them stay there, they go to cities where the jobs are.

Why does it make the list stupid? Do you might see there might be some relationship between having a university in an area and that area being more highly educated than average? It's not saying smartest cities, it's saying most educated.

Matty77

Hory shit. my city is one of the lowest.

Makes sense, we had a big confederate flag parade last year

An estimated 2,000 vehicles, mostly motorcycles and trucks adorned with Rebel flags, took part in a rally and ride Sunday afternoon in support of keeping a Confederate flag flying in front of the McPherson Governmental Complex in Ocala.
That's one thing I love about living in New England, yes we have our issues with race and ethnicity and our history at the beginning was blatantly horrible, but at least I don't have to watch parades for a Traitor flag that represents a war to retain human ownership.

tokkun

The study excluded people < 25 years old, so the majority of those undergrads would not be counted.

IrishNinja

oh, it's based just on college? okay

Yeah I'm not suprised to see Miami down there.

tumblr_m4val3ScwA1r6si6to1_400.gif

Bitanator

San Joaquin Valley stupid reporting in. Surprised Manteca is not on there, they all seem to congregate at their local Bass Pro Shop

IrishNinja

What else would you use to measure education?

...active library cards? ehhh i got nothin'
still, we've a really good community college, and FIU used to be in the top 10 best deals (as far as cost/education) but they've gone up a lot in recent years, sadly

Fat4all

Banned
Thanks to the late Senator Byrd, a small part of WV gets counted as the second most educated area of the US.

(I grew up in the D.C. metro area part of WV and am feeling a weird bit of pride right now.)

I live in that WV area, nice to see it so high up on the list.

It's also pretty unsurprising to see this:

134) Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH

I live in Eugene, OR which is #23. It's #7 on quality of education and it's not surprising. UO is pretty great and Lane Community College is one of the best community colleges on the west coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom