• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America's fattest cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

427469.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hey, it's not our fault that down south we have better food ;)

Excuses, excuses...
San Diego at 13th least fat despite carne asada fries.

riotous

Banned
Seattle the least fat? I kind of don't believe that, but OK.

Seattle itself isn't hard to believe; nor Bellevue. Both very health conscious cities, and Bellevue in particular is full of image conscious people.

Not to mention one of the highest concentration of Asian immigrants in the country (second to san jose I believe), and historically Asians have a low obesity rate.

It is amazing that places like Everett and some of the surrounding towns in Tacoma area don't bring it down; but that's America for you.. every major urban area the health of the citizens declines as you go farther from population centers.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I'be been to Mccallen Texas. Between the fact that its a completely drive culture so you don't walk anywhere but inside...... Even the local grocery store/bodega is drive through

I bought a Torta for 8 bucks that was larger than the size of my head and the burger spot gravy comes with every order...... And yeah I saw a lot of big people while I was there, hooked up with a few too......

Denver benefits from slowly becoming a bit more bike friendly, having good weather and that whole being close to the mountains thing we got going on.

leroidys

Seattle itself isn't hard to believe; nor Bellevue. Both very health conscious cities, and Bellevue in particular is full of image conscious people.

Not to mention one of the highest concentration of Asian immigrants in the country (second to san jose I believe), and historically Asians have a low obesity rate.

It is amazing that places like Everett and some of the surrounding towns in Tacoma area don't bring it down; but that's America for you.. every major urban area the health of the citizens declines as you go farther from population centers.

I guess I don't see that many morbidly obese people, but lots of slightly rotund, doughy tech workers.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We are talking about the least fat cities being around 20% obesity rate. That's higher than any city in 1990.

It's insane we've done so little to fight these trends, outside of occasionally trying to nag and insult people into dieting and exercising.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
We are talking about the least fat cities being around 20% obesity rate. That's higher than any city in 1990.

It's insane we've done so little to fight these trends, outside of occasionally trying to nag and insult people into dieting and exercising.

It's the people's fault, you see.

I think Mexico has a similar issue doesn't it?
They have obesity issues, but they usually outlive Americans with the same health problems.

It's not surprising to see California so low on the list. Central Valley has an abundant access to fresh produce that's unlike many other places in the US.

entremet

Food is entertainment basically.

If you look at the trends the fall of home cooked meals and rise of fast food and fast casual consumption are the biggest variable factors right now.

There were cars and suburbs back then, but people weren't as fat. So the walkable factor isn't that big I believe.

We're just eating way more calories and those calories are very tasty and addicting. This has been studied by Stephan Guyenet. It's the food reward hypothesis.

Sweet, my town (Evansville, IN) was #1 on that list in 2011. Now we're not even on it.
Granted we're TV market #104, so they may have included us then but not now. Oh well, I'll call it a win.

U2NUMB

Living in Minnesota has been like living in a sheltered bubble for me. I don't see fat people everywhere even though I read how bad obesity has been becoming. I also feel like the vast majority of people here are incredibly nice as well.

I'm scared to leave

Lived in MN from about age 6 to 18.. moved to Texas and then Arkansas to follow family.. it blew my mind at just the general health of people. I moved back shortly and have been here ever since.

Its all the more amazing when you consider how cold it is here and how things like running have to be done at clubs. Naturally you would think people here would put on weight during the winter months but thats not generally the case here.

Soooo, you are telling me that the part of the country that is the fattest is the same part that doesn't think healthcare is important for everyone?

Got it!

tmarg

Food is entertainment basically.

If you look at the trends the fall of home cooked meals and rise of fast food and fast casual consumption are the biggest variable factors right now.

There were cars and suburbs back then, but people weren't as fat. So the walkable factor isn't that big I believe.

We're just eating way more calories and those calories are very tasty and addicting. This has been studied by Stephan Guyenet. It's the food reward hypothesis.

Unless you are working out like a professional athlete, diet is always the key factor in your weight, but more exercise would substantially help with the health complications that being overweight causes.

Makai

The cities with the lowest fat are tech cities with high proportions of young men - Seattle, San Jose, San Francisco

Wilsongt

Not the south's fault that we have the best buffets in the nation...

....and the poorest education in the nation when it comes to health.

the1npc

Canadian here. Drove through NY and PA and there is fast food everywhere!! We have a lot up here but nothing like the US

Boogie9IGN

San Jose reporting in. I thought there were hella fatties here but if we're that low, I'm scared for the top cities

Not the south's fault that we have the best buffets in the nation...

....and the poorest education in the nation when it comes to health.

Also the most religious. A lot of my family is overweight, but no one really cares since we all die anyway. I'm actually in decent shape, but I still have that lack of concern about dying (and if I've got to choose between Southern biscuits or living longer, shove a biscuit in my mouth).

entremet

Also the most religious. A lot of my family is overweight, but no one really cares since we all die anyway. I'm actually in decent shape, but I still have that lack of concern about dying (and if I've got to choose between Southern biscuits or living longer, shove a biscuit in my mouth).

What about the whole body as temple thing lol?

Living in Minnesota has been like living in a sheltered bubble for me. I don't see fat people everywhere even though I read how bad obesity has been becoming. I also feel like the vast majority of people here are incredibly nice as well.

I'm scared to leave

I'm honestly always surprised whenever I go to our State Fair. Little to no "big" folks. A beer/liquor belly for some folks but no overtly "big" folks, lol. I am sorry if that offended some of y'all, I didn't mean to :(

It's our outdoorsy nature, fam. We always encourage being fit and exploring the ourdoors!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

But we're doing less of that than in 1990.

I'm surprised Providence-Warwick isn't higher.

I'd say a good 50% of the people I see look like they would cry if they had to tackle 2 flights of stairs back to back.

Sad as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom