• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Spiderman 2 is in the upper echelon of superhero movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't find a thread considering it just came out

Anyway I went in with zero expectations considering the first was pretty mediocre but this movie really delivers and is the best Spiderman movie for mine and amongst the better superhero films to date. Fits in nicely with the long list of great superhero sequels like Spiderman 2, Xmen 2, Dark Knights, Captain America 2 etc. The action is great, dialogue is snappy, feels were felt and it made Spiderman a great superhero once again.

Only had one issue
Electro was really built up well for the first half of the movie but ended up being a bit one dimensional towards the end

Laieon

I felt like Amazing Spiderman 1 was also in the upper echelon of superhero movies, so this doesn't really come as a surprise.

Seth C

I felt like Amazing Spiderman 1 was also in the upper echelon of superhero movies, so this doesn't really come as a surprise.

Some people were far too hard on Amazing Spider-man because, you know, he was "hipster" or something. It was light-hearted, shot well, and had some good action pieces. It was on par with the best of the Raimi films and I'd say better than 1.5 of them. People have a strange view of that Spider-Man trilogy because at the time the first one game out it really was a huge deal and by the time's standards of comic book films, it was amazing. I'm entertained by the shift in opinion once Spider-Man 3 came out. I think people were looking at the previous films with glasses; the third movie isn't significantly worse than the others and feels very much in the same style.

Nemesis_

PM me the answer but (big spoiler question)
does Gwen die

I need this answered before I decide I want to watch or not, I cannot be arsed if they cop out.

Mmhmm.

Pretty hyped for it regardless, though.

I remember reading that Mary Jane's part was cut from this film though? Is that true? If so then maybe they didn't see reason to
kill off Gwen
although I guess that could be a cop-out too >_>

Mistle

Literally just walked out of the cinema. Loved it! And I'm not even big on superhero movies. Was just really entertaining, great choreographed scenes, sound design, acting. especially Harry, that actor is perfect for villans. he was in chronicle, no?

mostly I just wanted to know if it is implied Peter broke her neck trying to catch her with a web
yes and no... she would have hit the ground full force and died anyway. but there is a definite sense of whiplash. Infact its pretty brutal, in my screening everyone audably gasped. But I was really impressed with that whole sequence.

Edit: OP seems to disagree. maybe I'll have to see it again. she does hit the ground but at the exact same time gets pulled up by the web, feeling somewhat like whiplash I guess

Nicktendo86

Literally just walked out of the cinema. Loved it! And I'm not even big on superhero movies. Was just really entertaining, great choreographed scenes, sound design, acting. especially Harry, that actor is perfect for villans. he was in chronicle, no?

I really didn't like the first one but there are more and more impressions like this, sounds really fun. Might ask the wife if she fancies it on the weekend.

Eddie Brock so soon?

image.php

Never gets old.

Sorcerer

How much time passes between the first and second movie?

Gwen gets a job offer in England? Is she barely out of high school or has enough time passed where she has gone to college?

Dilly

Banned
How much time passes between the first and second movie?

Gwen gets a job offer in England? Is she barely out of high school or has enough time passed where she has gone to college?

Gwen was already giving tours in Oscorp when she was in high school, universities obviously don't exist in TASM universe.

sol_bad

Question.
Is Electro developed more beyond "waaaah, Spider-Man doesn't remember my name"?
The trailer made his character look so stupid.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
Damn you GAF. First you guys got me hyped into Captain America 2, which I wasn't interested in judging on the trailers (Saw the movie and loved it).

Now you guys got me excited for Amazing Spiderman 2 and I was even less interested...

Looks like I know what I am doing Saturday afternoon.

EDIT: Never mind. Didn't realize it doesn't come out until 5/2

I might go watch this with my brother, a cousin and a friend this weekend. I only recently watched ASM and I liked it quite a bit so I'm hyped for ASM2.

Some people were far too hard on Amazing Spider-man because, you know, he was "hipster" or something. It was light-hearted, shot well, and had some good action pieces. It was on par with the best of the Raimi films and I'd say better than 1.5 of them.

You're a good dude. So very excited for 2. The soundtrack rocks, at least.

I'll be giving it a shot this weekend and will give my truthfact unbiased opinion after.

It would be a strange, bizarre world to live in if you like this movie. That being said I'd be willing to adjust.

Tabby

I was one of the rare few that thought the first movie was actually good, glad to hear this movie is good.
Do we know why they decided to cut MJW?

Some people were far too hard on Amazing Spider-man because, you know, he was "hipster" or something. It was light-hearted, shot well, and had some good action pieces. It was on par with the best of the Raimi films and I'd say better than 1.5 of them. People have a strange view of that Spider-Man trilogy because at the time the first one game out it really was a huge deal and by the time's standards of comic book films, it was amazing. I'm entertained by the shift in opinion once Spider-Man 3 came out. I think people were looking at the previous films with glasses; the third movie isn't significantly worse than the others and feels very much in the same style.
The hate for ASM came mostly from fans of the MCU movies. They want this series to fail because they think it will force Sony to sell the IP back to Disney. It's all very sad.

The worst part of ASM was the origin story, but it also established Oscorp as the source of everything terrible in the new series so it was unavoidable. Still ASM is better in every way than Raimi-Man, I hope that it continues with this installation and by the early reviews and viewer ratings it has beaten all expectations.

The hate for ASM came mostly from fans of the MCU movies. They want this series to fail because they think it will force Sony to sell the IP back to Disney. It's all very sad.

Nah, the Raimi fans were worse with the constant IT'S TOO SOON FOR A REBOOT and JUST A CASHGRAB IT HAS NO HEART LIKE THE RAIMI FILMS

Replicant

I was one of the rare few that thought the first movie was actually good, glad to hear this movie is good.
Do we know why they decided to cut MJW?

Likely due to the negative feedback they received over the casting of Shailene Woodley as well as her signing onto the Divergent franchise. I think the later was the final nail to the coffin since she likely gonna be busy and tied to that franchise for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I hope
they'll just expand Felicity Jones' role and make Felicia Hardy/Black Cat the new romantic interest

Nah, the Raimi fans were worse with the constant IT'S TOO SOON FOR A REBOOT and JUST A CASHGRAB IT HAS NO HEART LIKE THE RAIMI FILMS

Both are equally annoying.

Mikeside

The worst part of ASM was the origin story, but it also established Oscorp as the source of everything terrible in the new series so it was unavoidable. Still ASM is better in every way than Raimi-Man, I hope that it continues with this installation and by the early reviews and viewer ratings it has beaten all expectations.

I still think pre-Spidey Peter was way better represented in the Raimi movies than in ASM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom