• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

02-smb-dm-mobile-banner-1080x745-pl-f01-022723-63fe3cbc4df54-1.jpg

The Super Mario Bros. Movie
AFNbMgM.jpg

Critics Consensus: While it's nowhere near as thrilling as turtle tipping your way to 128 lives, The Super Mario Bros. Movie is a colorful -- albeit thinly plotted -- animated adventure that has about as many Nintendos as Nintendont's.

pt0uK0N.jpg

Reviews:

Variety:
There have been approximately 50 movies based on video games, and most of them are terrible. I’ve had limited patience even for the ones that “work,” like the coolly depersonalized “Resident Evil” series or that first “Lara Croft” film. It’s not that I’m hostile to video games; it’s that the game and film mediums are so different. Then again, not all video games are the same — the funky nihilist hellscapes of Grand Theft Auto couldn’t be further removed from the interactive innocence of the Mario franchise. Mario presides over a digital playground that lifts the spirit to a place of split-second wonder, and “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” stays true to that. Its ingenuity is infectious. You don’t have to be a Mario fan to respond to it, but the film is going to remind the millions who are why they call it a joystick.
IndieWire (B):
Parents shouldn’t expect a Pixar-level experience, but Matthew Fogel’s script has as at least much narrative heft as the best Mario games. Kids’ movies can be — and often are — so much worse. Nobody is reinventing the blue shell, but Horvath and Jelenic do an excellent job of recreating the Mushroom Kingdom from the recent video games while adding a decidedly cinematic flair. For certain demographics (i.e. families lamenting the fact that it’s been months since a major kids movie hit theaters), this is going to be an absolute godsend.
Empire (2/5)
Beautifully animated, and about as faithful and affectionate as a corporate cash-in is possible to get — but it still doesn’t come close to the experience of actually playing the games.
IGN (8/10):
The Super Mario Bros. Movie is a fireball of animated fantasy. Mario, Luigi, and Peach’s adventure delights with its infectious energy and smart implementations of video game callbacks, and the top-shelf animation renders the Mushroom Kingdom as an Oz-like wonderland that begs to be explored in the inevitable sequels that will follow.
The Wrap:
Short of dropping onto the Rainbow Road ourselves there is no experience closer to being fully immersed in one of the world’s most beloved video games. Pair that with some great comedic moments and swoon-worthy visuals and it looks like The Super Mario Bros. Movie might just make a real mark on the feature animation world.
Deadline:
All of this is immensely likable and loaded with laughs, if not raging wit. Having the likes of Black and Rogen in the voice cast though definitely ups the ante of some stabs at subversive humor, and all seem to be enjoying this stint, definitely set up for sequels as Mario and Luigi are about to start a new act in their long careers. The CGI animation goes big for bright colors juxtaposed with the ominous Dark Lands, and the film is helped immensely by a zippy and lilting musical score from Brian Tyler. As proof of the filmmakers’ attempts to be true to their source there is even room for Charles Martinet, original voice of Mario and Luigi video games for the past three decades.
Hollywood Reporter:
Directors Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, creators of the Teen Titans Go! series, deliver a reasonably faithful big screen adaptation that, while it features plenty of juvenile humor, wisely doesn’t lean toward broad satire.
AV Club (B):
Ultimately, Nintendo fans are sure to find the second Mario film (unlike the first) well worth a trip to the cinema, and with a runtime of only 92 minutes, it doesn’t overstay its welcome. But to swipe a metaphor from the original NES Super Mario Bros. game, while the film may complete the level, it doesn’t quite nail the leap to the top of the flagpole.
The Guardian (2/5):
The second film adaptation of the phenomenally successful video game is a disappointment to rival the first.
SlashFilm (4/10):
The Super Mario Bros. Movie brings together the many recognizable characters of the franchise, the musical flourishes, the colorful design, and even some replication of familiar gameplay, into a brisk 90-minute package that is as critic-proof as it is largely uninspiring.
Collider (B+):
The Super Mario Bros. Movie captures the spirit of the games, the deep history, and the incredible possibilities that these games have presented for decades, all in one of the most fun animated films in years, with a team behind it that you can feel loves these characters and this world.
The Independent (2/5):
It’s hard to demand all that much from a Mario Bros film when its source material has been historically devoid of plot, but shouldn’t we be allowed to demand a little more than mere competency?
The Playlist (C):
The film is in fact so busy introducing characters and churning through plot points that there’s not really even time to let animation powerhouse Illumination give it a spin of inspired silliness that made the “Despicable Me” franchise such an unexpected hit.
---

SYNOPSIS:

With help from Princess Peach, Mario gets ready to square off against the all-powerful Bowser to stop his plans from conquering the world.

CAST:

• Chris Pratt as Mario
  • Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach
  • Charlie Day as Luigi
  • Jack Black as Bowser
  • Keegan-Michael Key as Toad
  • Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong
  • Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong
  • Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek
  • Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike

Last edited:

Quasicat

I’m happy that this is what got me back into my local theater. I loved all of the references and the story was really good. It was worth seeing it in theaters, but the next time I see it again, it will be at home.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Overall, it's a 7. I'm watching it again tomorrow so score my change (I watched it dubbed with my niece and nephew).

Good: It's pure fun. Animation is great. Fan service is serving. Original score is great. No overthinking here.

Bad: Things move so fast you don't even have time to enjoy the view. 80s song don't make any sense considering Mario score could have been more utilized.

I will watch it again when it comes to streaming, I do think it'll benefit from an backlit screen.

Bond007

I liked it- went in with an open mind and a had a good time.
No need to have Godfather pt2 expectations- fun movie aimed at children with short attention spans.

MiguelItUp

Audience likes it so I'll watch when it's on demand. Dunno man, theater experience just isn't what it used to be.
The last few times I've been to the theater the amount of talking really ruined the experience. There's a theater on the other side of town that's REALLY strict about talking during the film, and they don't allow anyone under 21, which is great. But it's almost an hour away, so it's not the most convenient.

Seeing this in a theater would be a nightmare with all the children.

Really funny seeing the comparison in reviews. I think a lot of the critics were going in expecting an award winning film. But it was never meant to be that. I think it's a film that they were making for the fans, for fun, and that's it.

Last edited:
It’s from the same studio that did Despicable Me, right? I liked all three of those movies more than this one. Not Minions though, those movies are garbage.

Kiddos loved the Mario movie. I thought it was just ok. Idk why people complain about the story. Also, I saw it in 3D, the 3D was super weak. I guess they don’t really make scenes designed for 3D like they used to back when that fad was going on.

bodine1231

I thought it was just ok. The animation is top tier and the voice acting was good but none of the jokes landed for me. I wasnt expecting a plot from a Mario movie (like the game) but it just felt like a bunch of scenes and not an actual movie, like playing cutscenes from a game and not showing the gameplay in between. Solid 2.5/5

Last edited:

Lasha

I found the film enjoyable if not terribly memorable. Mario is the type of movie I catch once at the cinema then forget until I see it pop up on Netflix. The animation is sublime. I would do many unsavory things to get a Mario game in the film's universe. The voice cast stuck their performances. Jack Black's as Bowser is the standout. His takes the character to a space between Jim Cumming's Pete and Satan from South Park. I would never have imagined that a crooning love-struck Bowser would work but I loved it. The plot is nonsense serving as a means to push the film between set pieces and nothing more. Sufficient reverence is paid to the franchise with nearly every Mario spinoff receiving some form of acknowledgement. Its definitely a good popcorn movie and a great time out if you have kids.

TwiztidElf

I saw it last night. A solid 7 from me. I enjoyed it a lot.
But if you asked me for suggestions on how they could make a better Mario movie, I have none.
(There are some obvious things either missing or just referenced/touched on, so there is room for a sequel I guess).
Also: There are Easter Eggs during and after the credits.

belmarduk

I just saw it and it... was pretty good but not great. I think kids will love it and people like those of us on GAF might enjoy the references and fan service.

The Sonic movies were WAY better though.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Saw it this evening, I really liked it. Like it’s Mario, the story isn’t exactly deep or complicated, and the target market is clearly 6-12 year olds and those weird Nintendo fans that have neck beards and live in their parents basement.

After the disaster that was the live action film it’s makes perfect sense that Nintendo played it very safe with this. Hopefully it gets a sequel and they can have more fun with the IP.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Should have been a 60fps movie to match the games :d

Btw were the pre-rendered (but made to look like in-game) cut scenes upscaled with a good method for the Switch release of Galaxy or do they seem to have been rendered in high resolution from a still existing original source of the files? They look much nicer than on Wii (that Dolphin can't fix).

Last edited:

FrankCaron

Saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. Jack Black's
surprise vocal performance and stinger after the credits
legit had me laughing pretty hard given the way it's edited into the movie in such contrast to the way they frame Bowser initially. The fan service throughout was also just present and visible enough to be enjoyable without being overbearing, and NGL there's one portion of
the Mario Kart sequence when Mario drives off the edge of the Rainbow Road down to a second road beneath as a "shortcut" to get away from an attack
that legit had me being like "ya done gud, kid" to sky-Iwata.

Last edited:

JCK75

Audience likes it so I'll watch when it's on demand. Dunno man, theater experience just isn't what it used to be.

So I just got out of a 4:20 showing on a Thursday. This is the same day and time I went to see John wick 4 when it came out.. The theater was freaking packed... And man the place was going crazy. Everybody was having an awesome time.. such a fun movie

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm a liberal and didn't see anything wrong with the movie... in fact, it was a kids movie that had no political content at all. It's pathetic when people on both sides try to dictate what everyone else watches or plays.

What is it about this movie that’s got their panties in a bunch?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
As an adult, it was fine, perfectly harmless movie and a enjoyable 90 minutes. 8 year old me would watch this movie 40 times.

There was a family in the theater dressed up where the Dad was Toad, the mom was Peach, the son was Mario, and the daughter was Luigi. It was awesome. The kids were absolutely buzzing as we walked out of the theater.

There's a mid credit scene and a post credit scene. Charles Martinet is in the movie and I loved the cameo.

Last edited:

Lasha

How come the threads for the Mario movie get moved here but all TLOU stuff stayed in the games section? I thought this thread was deleted for a sec.

RT audience score.

image.png

Audience cinemascore.

Another example of the phenomenon sometimes called the "Rotten Tomatoes split"! The same thing happened with one of Hannah Gadsby's standups (critics rated it fresh, audience rated it rotten), and with one of Dave Chappelle's standups (critics rated it rotten, audience rated it fresh).

Just saw it with my 2 kids. They love it, I love it for the nostalgia. And that's all that matters.

It's a safe family film to bring kids to. It has no filth, degeneracy, sexual innuendos, politics, controversial issues, etc.. Something that American films that target families and kids used to be.

Now, I can understand about the pacing issues and it has a simple story. Of course, it's not what Disney/Pixar used to be (before politics, agendas, controversial issues were inserted) at their best like Toy Story 1-3, the Incredibles, Beauty and the Beast, the original Little Mermaid, UP, Finding Nemo, etc. But ironically, this Mario movie is what Disney/Pixar used to be in that there is no agenda, no politics, no controversial issues. It's a fun film that tries to put a smile on a kid's face and their families.

DKehoe

All this movie needs to do is entertain the kids and it will make monies
Those Illumination films always seem to do huge numbers so you combine that with the recognition of the Mario franchise and I always assumed this was going to be huge.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Those Illumination films always seem to do huge numbers so you combine that with the recognition of the Mario franchise and I always assumed this was going to be huge.
Just makes me laugh that all the critics are giving rubbish scores and audiences love the film.

I’ve seen the movie. Yes the plot is threadbare and moves at a breakneck speed, But it does the job.

It’s a kids move aimed at entertaining kids and on that front it does just that.

Critics right now.
the simpsons adult GIF

Last edited:

DKehoe

Just makes me laugh that all the critics are giving rubbish scores and audiences love the film.

Critics right now.
the simpsons adult GIF
I've not seen the film yet, may do this weekend, so I can't comment on it directly yet. But I'm not really one for the "critics hate it so it must be good" attitude I see a lot of these days. Critical consensus is still a really good guide to have and there have been plenty of great films I've seen recently because of it.

Ah critics, they will go where the wind blows. For example, a lot of John Carpenter's films like the Thing and Big Trouble in Little China were trashed, only to become cult classics by the movie going audiences, now those films are seen in a highly regarded light.

How about Akira Kurosawa''s films? He's on the short list of greatest filmmakers/directors. Influenced Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese, etc. Stanley Kubrick, arguably America's greatest filmmaker held him in high self esteem. Very few filmmakers are on the level of a Kubrick, but Kurosawa is at that level. My point? Kurosawa's films were trashed by critics at the time of its released, only later to be considered classics and masterpieces. Case in point, perhaps his most famous work, the 7 Samurai was trashed by western critics at the time of release. Years later the western critics now hail it as a masterpiece.

I'm not saying this Mario movie will have a 7 Samurai re-evaluation. It's a good pop corn flick that satisfies a lot of people. It's better to go with word of mouth and audience score than what the critics say, imo.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I've not seen the film yet, may do this weekend, so I can't comment on it directly yet. But I'm not really one for the "critics hate it so it must be good" attitude I see a lot of these days. Critical consensus is still a really good guide to have and there have been plenty of great films I've seen recently because of it.
I’m not going in with that mentality. It’s more of a case the critics are trying to judge the film as a high art piece and because it doesn’t hit certain criteria etc they look down on it.

Meanwhile the paying audience are loving the film. It’s doing well commercially.

It’s a popcorn flick pure and simple. A theme park ride kind of movie. Go in with that mindset and you’ll enjoy it. If you Go in expecting some great narrative driven character study of course it’s gonna disappoint. Was the actual story any good. Nope it was same old same old. By the numbers underdogs become heroes. Throw in some jokes and nostalgia for us oldies. You have a serviceable movie.

An Oscar winner this ain’t.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Ah critics, they will go where the wind blows. For example, a lot of John Carpenter's films like the Thing and Big Trouble in Little China were trashed, only to become cult classics by the movie going audiences, now those films are seen in a highly regarded light.

How about Akira Kurosawa''s films? He's on the short list of greatest filmmakers/directors. Influenced Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese, etc. Stanley Kubrick, arguably America's greatest filmmaker held him in high self esteem. Very few filmmakers are on the level of a Kubrick, but Kurosawa is at that level. My point? Kurosawa's films were trashed by critics at the time of its released, only later to be considered classics and masterpieces. Case in point, perhaps his most famous work, the 7 Samurai was trashed by western critics at the time of release. Years later the western critics now hail it as a masterpiece.

I'm not saying this Mario movie will have a 7 Samurai re-evaluation. It's a good pop corn flick that satisfies a lot of people. It's better to go with word of mouth and audience score than what the critics say, imo.
Sure, I'm not saying critical opinion is in any way definitive. Just that it can be useful. Between critic score and audience score I tend to put more trust into the critic one. I've seen plenty of times where people will point out that a film they like has a low critic score but high audience score but the opposite can also be true. For example Uncut Gems has a 91% critic score and a 52% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. But I think both are good as general guides more than anything. If you're thinking about seeing something then it getting a great score in one of those can be a good endorsement, or a bad score can perhaps be a suggestion to reconsider. Or maybe there's something you've never heard of but it's been getting a great response and so check it out because of that.

I’m not going in with that mentality. It’s more of a case the critics are trying to judge the film as a high art price and because it doesn’t hit certain criteria etc they look down on it.

Meanwhile the paying audience are loving the film.
I haven't read any reviews on it so I haven't seen what people are saying about it. but I think a good critic takes a film on the level it's working at. I remember reading Ebert talking about that. A fun family film doesn't have to be some groundbreaking work of art that changes the medium. There is a real lack of good, insightful film criticism these days though. Media literacy has really gone downhill.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
DKehoe DKehoe wrote
haven't read any reviews on it so I haven't seen what people are saying about it. but I think a good critic takes a film on the level it's working at. I remember reading Ebert talking about that. A fun family film doesn't have to be some groundbreaking work of art that changes the medium. There is a real lack of good, insightful film criticism these days though. Media literacy has really gone downhill.

Yeah I think the critics are not doing that.
It’s not about taking the movie as a movie but rather what agendas it hits or how it speaks to the critic and not the audience.

Last edited:

Kadve

Seems to have the same issues with critics as the Detective Pikachu movie. Great if your already are a fan of the franchise. A confusing mess if you aren't.

The fact that the (first) sonic movie managed to please fans while also making sense to those unfamiliar with the franchise might have been one of its greatest achievements.

Top Bottom