• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Bros Movie Critic Reviews Aren't So Great (current 46% RT, 48 Metacritic)

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think these critics should mention if they have kids, the movie's main target audience.

Robb

Gold Member
Unfortunate, but I’ll watch it for all the fan service that they seem to have put in alone.

Hopefully the sequel (which I’m sure will happen) will solve most issues.

Rotten Review from Grace Randolph says this:

Totally inaccessible for non-fans of this Super Mario game from Nintendo. Fans might even have a hard time with the non-existent, antiquated and somewhat offensive story... Shocking misfire for Illumination, the only bad movie they've ever made.

"somwhat offensive story" LOOOOOOOOLLL

Last edited:

spawn

Everyone I know is taking their kids to see it. I think it's going to sell a lot of tickets

Kilau

Nintendo finally getting trashed on Metacritic.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel GIF

Fbh

Expected given the animation studio and people involved.

Don't think it truly matters though. As long as it has Mario in it, looks visually appealing to kids and has a lot of fan service it will be a big hit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Rotten Review from Grace Randolph says this:
Her review says that Bowser has "stalker behavior" in a "post #metoo era" and that the movie was "all about who was going to date Peach".

liberal-scream.gif

She also says it's offensive that Donkey Kong has a New York accent.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is every bad review I've seen about this movie so far (same energy, too)

iymUAeg.png

Super Mario movie just isn't woke enough. I mean look at this animated masterpiece that got 86% certified fresh from critics. If the Mario movie had this kind of stuff, it would be a hit.

Marvel14

Banned
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_super_mario_bros_movie

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-super-mario-bros-movie?ref=hp

Not so great results - but I'm sure the film is going to do gangbusters at the box office

Will be interesting to see how they align with audience reviews
The main criticism seems to be 'meh, I couldn't care less and it's ugly to look at.' The second part of that critique is not credible.

It probably lacks the character development and empathy hooks that typify a good film.

But most people watching will already have that link ( pun not intended) built in through decades-long relationships with the characters as their alter egos. Question is whether the film is fun and has enough of a heart to keep audiences invested.

Critics have misunderstood films en masse before. They hated The Greatest Showman because it's not a great film. But it succeeds as a super fun musical with very decent songs, which was its aim and audiences loved it.

This movie may just be a love letter to Mario gamers.

Let's see.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Pay no mind to such worthless reviews from critics who don’t play or enjoy video games.

I’ve watched all of these and in no way are they the same kind of poor quality and as the stuff you’d find in the 90’s like the original Mario movie or Double Dragon. Mortal Kombat 1 is the only one from that era that gets a pass.

Of course we still aren’t free of video game movies that just don’t get the properties at all.

When you see bad critic and user scores then you’ve completely failed.

Last edited:

Nvzman

I think these critics should mention if they have kids, the movie's main target audience.

The problem probably is just old people gate keeping & not realizing this movie is for the kids
I'm just going to repost my quote from the previous thread about this:
I'll be honest, I was about to say "well there was a time when you could have family movies that were actually written well and worked for both adults and kids (see: Pixar from 95-07 and Shrek 1 + 2)", but we did literally just get Puss in Boots 2.

Being a kids movie doesn't excuse it being ass.

I'll be seeing the movie myself and formulating my own opinion on it of course, but I'm just saying "it's a kids movie" will never be a good justification.

E-Cat

"...antiquated and somewhat offensive story... Shocking misfire for Illumination, the only bad movie they've ever made."

Is she trying to make me see this shit?
If they thought this movie was offensive, I wonder what they thought about the 1993 live action one?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Seems like they’ve made a movie that’s pretty inaccessible to non fans of the games, which may account for the poor reviews.

Saber

Gold Member
I remain unnconvinced this movie deserve such coddling.
But this weird negativity make curious about the movie.

E-Cat

I remain unnconvinced this movie deserve such coddling.
But this weird negativity make curious about the movie.
It being called 'offensive' honesly piqued my interest more than any 90%+ RT average could ever have. Movie critics are mostly worthless these days, but occasionally the truth comes out in such virtue signaling meta clues.

Last edited:

YCoCg

We're in a universe where the Sonic movies are better than the Nintendo worked on Mario movie.*

*Sonic 2 is actually good

Saber

Gold Member
It being called 'offensive' honesly piqued my interest more than any 90%+ RT average could ever have. Movie critics are mostly worthless these days, but occasionally the truth comes out in such virtue signaling meta clues.

If theres something about it is that those weirdos are making a good marketing for this film.

GMCamaro

The first Sonic movie was better than the second. Sorry, that’s just a fact. Take out the long drawn out wedding scenes in Sonic 2 and maybe it could stand against the first.

E-Cat

My god, that grating voice... :eek:

Soo her two major beefs with the movie are i. Poor world-building (why don't any of the other human species look like Mario & why is the human world super realistic), and ii. "Disturbing" story w/ Bowser obsessed with Princess Peach in a "post-Metoo world" ("I looked it up, and it happens in the games all the time"), and his 'stalker behavior' is inappropriate for children, apparently.

It looks like what she took the most offense to though was the absence of cultural appropriation (it appears everyone speaks in a New York gangster accent).

seinfeld-eye-roll.gif

Last edited:

Fake

Someone can answer to me why in hell a random dude Bowser is a incel? lmao.

Last edited:
Top Bottom