• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder | Review Thread

daclynk

Man Nintendo has been slaying this year.
The Young Pope GIF

Stafford

Difficulty in this game is a bit of a sliding scale, as there are various ways you can make the game a cakewalk thanks to badges and yoshi/nabbit characters that can only die from pits and don't otherwise take damage. Some levels are downright dastardly though, and without taking the handicaps I'm finding some to be incredibly difficult and require precise timing and platforming.

As for length, I'm about halfway through the game now, and I've played for 3.5 hours, but I've also been playing every level (even the optional ones). I would say the whole game could be comfortably finished in 7-8 hours. Rushing through with the handicap characters and skipping the optional levels you could probably easily do it in 5.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

ReBurn

Gold Member
that's lower than I expected for a new AAA Mario game. Seeing a lot of 8s in OPs post.
To be fair 2D the more recent 2D Mario games tend to live in the 80's on the review aggregators. Starting this well is better than I expected for Wonder. It's kind of good to see it.

TrebleShot

Received my copy early and been playing this a little and it’s very charming, looks gorgeous on OLED also will drop it for spidey but the drop in fun element of it is VERY nice.

mcjmetroid

Not only did I know it would score this high but I think it has to be considered for the best 2D platformer of all time. To me it's between this and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Bare in mind as well that I really disliked the New Super Mario Bros games, I tolerated the first one but didn't like the rest.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Looking forward to the Super Mario RPG release in November (thanks for the correction) as well.

Another remake to cap of what Metroid started back in February.

Nintendo stays winning...

tuemwtG.gif

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Not only did I know it would score this high but I think it has to be considered for the best 2D platformer of all time. To me it's between this and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Bare in mind as well that I really disliked the New Super Mario Bros games, I tolerated the first one but didn't like the rest.
It's better than Yoshi's Island?

Astral Dog

This opinion has always been weird to me since the first nsmb is easily the worst and most plain of the series

But good to hear SMW is up there with Tropical Freeze Nintendo had the time to perfect this one

rkofan87

Gold Member
Difficulty in this game is a bit of a sliding scale, as there are various ways you can make the game a cakewalk thanks to badges and yoshi/nabbit characters that can only die from pits and don't otherwise take damage. Some levels are downright dastardly though, and without taking the handicaps I'm finding some to be incredibly difficult and require precise timing and platforming.

As for length, I'm about halfway through the game now, and I've played for 3.5 hours, but I've also been playing every level (even the optional ones). I would say the whole game could be comfortably finished in 7-8 hours. Rushing through with the handicap characters and skipping the optional levels you could probably easily do it in 5.
not bad.

mcjmetroid

This opinion has always been weird to me since the first nsmb is easily the worst and most plain of the series

But good to hear SMW is up there with Tropical Freeze Nintendo had the time to perfect this one
It possibly is but it was also the first 2D mario game in a very long time. It was nostalgic as all hell.
Plus the multiplayer mini games were actually excellent in the game I thought.

Top Bottom