• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Super Mario Bros Wonder - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A Switch Masterpiece

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Super Mario Bros Wonder is the best 2D Mario title since 1995's Yoshi's Island, dripping in creativity, joy and polish. John Linneman goes deep on this milestone Switch game, shares why he wasn't so keen on its New Super Mario Bros predecessors and reveals the four pillars of a great platformer... and how SMBW nails them all.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's a half hour video, please don't ask me to summarize.

00:00 - Introduction
01:28 - What Makes a Platform Game Great?
02:06 - Core Gameplay Mechanics - The First Pillar
03:24 - Comparisons with Super Mario U0
4:53 - Let's Talk Graphics
05:42 - Mario Moves like a Sprite?!
07:24 - The Goombas Have Eyes
08:38 - The Backgrounds
10:28 - Resolution and Performance
12:01 - My Thoughts on Sound and Platform Games
15:18 - The New Sound of Mario
21:49 - Level Design
25:19 - Let's Finish This

It's a half hour video, please don't ask me to summarize.

00:00 - Introduction
01:28 - What Makes a Platform Game Great?
02:06 - Core Gameplay Mechanics - The First Pillar
03:24 - Comparisons with Super Mario U0
4:53 - Let's Talk Graphics
05:42 - Mario Moves like a Sprite?!
07:24 - The Goombas Have Eyes
08:38 - The Backgrounds
10:28 - Resolution and Performance
12:01 - My Thoughts on Sound and Platform Games
15:18 - The New Sound of Mario
21:49 - Level Design
25:19 - Let's Finish This

Please summarize the video. You’ve summarized much longer videos in the past 😁

adamsapple

MS aren't paying for this summary 🤢

Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This was a great video and I do agree that Wonder is the best 2D Mario since the SNES era. But I would like to state for the record that New Super Mario Bros Wii is quite excellent and is my favorite of the largely uninspired "New" series. If you are only going to play one of those four titles, make it that one.

bender

What time is it?
Love the game but the Final-Final Test level has left me a little cold. The ramp up in difficulty is greater than most Mario games and the last section of that gauntlet almost feels cruel.

MacReady13

This was a great video and I do agree that Wonder is the best 2D Mario since the SNES era. But I would like to state for the record that New Super Mario Bros Wii is quite excellent and is my favorite of the largely uninspired "New" series. If you are only going to play one of those four titles, make it that one.
Whilst I do like the Wii game I massively prefer the WiiU Mario 2D game that was ported to the Switch. Feel like it’s the closest the series ever got to Mario World. I loved it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Whilst I do like the Wii game I massively prefer the WiiU Mario 2D game that was ported to the Switch. Feel like it’s the closest the series ever got to Mario World. I loved it.

Well, that shows how everyone has their own tastes and this franchise is very healthy. Many gamers love NSMB U Deluxe. Me? I’ve tried endlessly but always come away bored to tears. I always draw the analogy to Rolling Stones albums post-1978, and as cliche as that goes, it does match my own sentiments.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary. My latest videogame obsession is the supremely Zappa-esque mondo-bizarro Hong Kong 97 on Super Famicom, so what do I know?

Top Bottom