• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder has received new 22 Minutes of Gameplay at Nintendo Treehouse

I must be getting old. The game looks very bright and colorful, great1 or 2 player game.

The four player multiplayer doesn’t look much different from Super Mario U. Sonic multiplayer looks better, honestly. Even so, this game will move 13+ million units. Good game for families.

I thought due to Paper Mario restrictions regarding the new characters (which I thought was not allowed)…if that isn’t true…for the love of GAWD… bring back the baddies from Mario 2! We need Wart and company.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHA

Aaron Olive

Nintendo selling the same game with more colors than 38 years ago?

(1985)
SI_3DSVC_SuperMarioBros.jpg

(2023)
6509210cv11d.jpg

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

You mean like every other publisher rinsing and repeating
I gave Konami shit too and surely don’t intend to play COD anymore since it’s turned into Fortnite!

My bone to pick with this game (while it will sell cause it’s Nintendo) is that they could be making much better content than this, but maybe 🤔 they’re saving it for the next-gen system.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

i hate this Nintendo Direct narrated videos and the gameplay section is so cringe, damn

"Mario Elephant is heavy and can break things, Mario drill can drill, Mario bird can fly"

Troy Baker No Shit GIF by RETRO REPLAY

what they think their player base is ?

im_retarded_quantum_leap.gif

game looks good tho

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I gave Konami shit too and surely don’t intend to play COD anymore since it’s turned into Fortnite!

My bone to pick with this game (while it will sell cause it’s Nintendo) is that they could be making much better content than this, but maybe 🤔 they’re saving it for the next-gen system.
Have you been living in a cave for 25 years? Nintendo makes 3D Mario games that are a lot more experimental with their gameplay concepts, + 2D side scrollers that mostly iterate on the formula and add new power ups etc. There’s room for both of them.

nkarafo

The art style of the more recent 2D Mario games look so generic.

Why can't they repeat this awesomeness:

PHWEdOO.png

Or even this:

E3kbmpE.png

I remember seeing these images in magazines and drooling over them. They looked so amazing in my eyes back then. I wasn't even a dumb child that sees everything as magic, i was almost an adult when Yoshi's Story was released with a pretty big experience in games already.

So it can't be just nostalgia? These games really looked better, yes?

To be fair, the last few Yoshi games do look pretty good. But why do Mario games have to look so bad in comparison?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Mario is my favorite series of all time. I just can’t bring myself to get excited at these 2D entries - and I disappointed that I can’t really pinpoint why. This game looks… pretty alright? I don’t know, I just feel like the magic is missing with this team (as opposed to the 3D Team, which is completely separate).

Maybe I wanted something just radically different?

Anyone else feel this way?

Aaron Olive

Have you been living in a cave for 25 years? Nintendo makes 3D Mario games that are a lot more experimental with their gameplay concepts, + 2D side scrollers that mostly iterate on the formula and add new power ups etc. There’s room for both of them.
I’ve seen other Mario games but it’s just weird to me that they would make a 2D only scroller when it was hardware limitations for this perspective existence back in the day.

I thought Wonder 💭 would offer more than a single perspective.

And yes I know there’s plenty of 2D scrollers out there, many of which I’ve played and enjoyed but reasons for using it is also an art choice which I completely understand as well.

Limbo (2010)
ss_d33513ed37acf1073ea92f182b76e165101bfdac.1920x1080.jpg

Cuphead (2017)
2643276-cuphead-screeshot-flower.jpg

Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2020)
ss_608e317acbb76258bedcf1a79e6673a61475908f.1920x1080.jpg

Inside (2016)
Playdead-Inside_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpg

The Swapper (2013)
ss_0d2aabd0a54815ef72f649af6ec44391f9ec36eb.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The art style of the more recent 2D Mario games look so generic.

Why can't they repeat this awesomeness:

PHWEdOO.png

Or even this:

E3kbmpE.png

I remember seeing these images in magazines and drooling over them. They looked so amazing in my eyes back then. I wasn't even a dumb child that sees everything as magic, i was almost an adult when Yoshi's Story was released with a pretty big experience in games already.

So it can't be just nostalgia? These games really looked better, yes?

To be fair, the last few Yoshi games do look pretty good. But why do Mario games have to look so bad in comparison?
I remember some interview years ago where Miyamoto (or Koizumi) stated that Nintendo now considers Yoshi Island to be its own separated series

If you notice there have been YI sequels over the years,with mixed reception among fanboys but they all varied their artstyle

Yoshi Woolly World and Yoshi Crafted World look rather unique, and Yoshi Island DS was actually a challenging game
images

images

images

Though i don't hate the Nsmb art direction like most core gamers ,it looks pretty nice,in a more functional way,vibrant colors with simple style , Super Mario Wonder will be no doubt a pretty 2,D platformer and evolution of the 2D Mario series

zeldaring

Banned
i hate this Nintendo Direct narrated videos and the gameplay section is so cringe, damn

"Mario Elephant is heavy and can break things, Mario drill can drill, Mario bird can fly"

Troy Baker No Shit GIF by RETRO REPLAY

what they think their player base is ?

im_retarded_quantum_leap.gif

game looks good tho
I mean the video is made to appeal to children, That's why it has that tone lol.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
80% of Nintendo player base are 20+ years old mans and they know it

call-of-duty-pok%C3%A9mon-gamers-6955508224
Don't believe everything you hear. Almost every parent i knows buys a switch for their kids. Then just look at this presentation literately sounds like they talking to a 5 year old. The parents i know will game sometimes as well.

Fake

Don't believe everything you hear. Almost every parent i knows buys a switch for their kids. Then just look at this presentation literately sounds like they talking to a 5 year old. The parents i know will game sometimes as well.

Dude, most of the Nintendo users are adults. Is a well know fact.

Parents buy Nintendo Switch for their kids? They do, but the Nintendo install base is predominant adults.

Lokaum D+

i dont know where u live, but here in Brazil 85% of kids plays on Xbox or PS, 5% on Switch ( usually the rich kids ), 10% on PC if their fathers have a nice rig.

Nintendo over here is a nich market, parents usually dont buy Switch for their kids over here, they buy Xbox and PS for thenselfs and let their kids plays on free time.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Dude, most of the Nintendo users are adults. Is a well know fact.

Parents buy Nintendo Switch for their kids? They do, but the Nintendo install base is predominant adults.
I have a hard believing that. literally every game is targeted for family friendly and presentations sound like they are for 5 year olds. probably parents making online accounts for their kids and using their age.

Last edited:

Hudo

I remember some interview years ago where Miyamoto (or Koizumi) stated that Nintendo now considers Yoshi Island to be its own separated series

If you notice there have been YI sequels over the years,with mixed reception among fanboys but they all varied their artstyle

Yoshi Woolly World and Yoshi Crafted World look rather unique, and Yoshi Island DS was actually a challenging game
images

images

images

Though i don't hate the Nsmb art direction like most core gamers ,it looks pretty nice,in a more functional way,vibrant colors with simple style , Super Mario Wonder will be no doubt a pretty 2,D platformer and evolution of the 2D Mario series
Man, Woolly World was so good...

Last edited:

Fake

I have a hard believing that. literally every game is targeted for family friendly and presentations sound like they are for 5 year olds. probably parents making online accounts for there kids and using their age.

Thats have nothing to do with the install base my friend.

Nintendo target family friendly as their core conduct and culture in Japan, with is the strong market they have. When we count install base, we do in the entire world, not only into a single country.
As much as they try to market their games to kids, most of the adults that get the attention.

zeldaring

Banned
i dont know where u live, but here in Brazil 85% of kids plays on Xbox or PS, 5% on Switch ( usually the rich kids ), 10% on PC if their fathers have a nice rig.

Nintendo over here is a nich market, parents usually dont buy Switch for their kids over here, they buy Xbox and PS for thenselfs and let their kids plays on free time.
USA literally every parent i know buys their kids a switch.

zeldaring

Banned
Thats have nothing to do with the install base my friend.

Nintendo target family friendly as their core conduct and culture in Japan, with is the strong market they have. When we count install base, we do in the entire world, not only into a single country.
As much as they try to market their games to kids, most of the adults that get the attention.
Well it's just weird the presentation sounds like that if most of the players are adults then the person above is right they must think they are retards.

zeldaring

Banned
Are you start to understanding Nintendo goal just now?
appeal to everyone goal i get it ,but not every game they made has to do that. One mature game a generation would be nice and they don't have to be so cringe that they sound like blues clues show. Shit like that kills the hype for me.

Top Bottom