• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder has received new 22 Minutes of Gameplay at Nintendo Treehouse

zeldaring

Banned
The Direct is still a normal gameplay demonstration. It's not aimed at any one age group.
I don't know maybe it just me but differently seemed like something to appeal to children with his tone sounding like the guy from blue clues.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I am loving this new 2D Super Mario and can't wait for it to arrive so that I can play with my 3-year-old daughter. She will go absolutely gaga over the elephants.

Honestly, I didn't expect Nintendo to ever make another 2D Mario. I assumed that's what the Super Mario Maker series was about: Nintendo dumping the series onto the fans, saying, "Here ya go, good luck." New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is over a decade old, and while it's enjoyable on Switch, it feels very generic and sorely lacking in any new ideas. It's a videogame equivalent to a greatest hits album, and it was always disappointing how the 3D Marios would receive all the new, clever ideas and innovations.

Thankfully, Nintendo have turned things around. I assume this is largely due to Switch's longer-than-usual lifespan, as well as Nintendo's unspoken "franchise checklist" policy that has been in effect for several console generations. Key software titles are needed, and with the "once-per-console" policy, that leaves few options at this point. And let's not forget that all the creative energies are engaged in the next home console, whether it's a "Switch 2" or something different entirely (with Nintendo, you never know what to expect).

So I am not only happy to see an original 2D Mario (as opposed to a reissue from the Wii U), I'm thrilled to see so many clever ideas brought to the table, as well as a vibrant art style that looks more cartoony and polished than the increasingly stale "New" series.

Can't wait to play this, can't wait to enjoy it, I'm sure it's going to be fantastic. And I'm looking forward to the inevitable comparisons to Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, the undisputed kings of the 2D Mario franchise.

Astral Dog

I am loving this new 2D Super Mario and can't wait for it to arrive so that I can play with my 3-year-old daughter. She will go absolutely gaga over the elephants.

Honestly, I didn't expect Nintendo to ever make another 2D Mario. I assumed that's what the Super Mario Maker series was about: Nintendo dumping the series onto the fans, saying, "Here ya go, good luck." New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is over a decade old, and while it's enjoyable on Switch, it feels very generic and sorely lacking in any new ideas. It's a videogame equivalent to a greatest hits album, and it was always disappointing how the 3D Marios would receive all the new, clever ideas and innovations.

Thankfully, Nintendo have turned things around. I assume this is largely due to Switch's longer-than-usual lifespan, as well as Nintendo's unspoken "franchise checklist" policy that has been in effect for several console generations. Key software titles are needed, and with the "once-per-console" policy, that leaves few options at this point. And let's not forget that all the creative energies are engaged in the next home console, whether it's a "Switch 2" or something different entirely (with Nintendo, you never know what to expect).

So I am not only happy to see an original 2D Mario (as opposed to a reissue from the Wii U), I'm thrilled to see so many clever ideas brought to the table, as well as a vibrant art style that looks more cartoony and polished than the increasingly stale "New" series.

Can't wait to play this, can't wait to enjoy it, I'm sure it's going to be fantastic. And I'm looking forward to the inevitable comparisons to Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, the undisputed kings of the 2D Mario franchise.
Honestly i find Super Mario World to be a little overrated ,it isn't far from the New! entries in its flaws, alot of the music is constantly repeated,not many themes in the levels,graphics look a little crude and not that varied(well ,its a launch game)

Its a fun game but i can't help but think nostalgia plays a part in its reputation

imo Yoshi Island,Nsmb Wii and Nsmb U are on the same level, all great games

Super Mario Wonder seems like its gonna be a step beyond though,depending on the challenge and level design it could be the Super Mario Bros 3 of a new generation

MrA

Banned
The art style of the more recent 2D Mario games look so generic.

Why can't they repeat this awesomeness:

PHWEdOO.png

Or even this:

E3kbmpE.png

I remember seeing these images in magazines and drooling over them. They looked so amazing in my eyes back then. I wasn't even a dumb child that sees everything as magic, i was almost an adult when Yoshi's Story was released with a pretty big experience in games already.

So it can't be just nostalgia? These games really looked better, yes?

To be fair, the last few Yoshi games do look pretty good. But why do Mario games have to look so bad in comparison?
They save the good stuff for yoshi
yoshiscraftedworld1.jpg

Anyway 2d mario is comfort food at this point, nice fun but nothing amazing but super broad appeal

kiphalfton

I’ve seen other Mario games but it’s just weird to me that they would make a 2D only scroller when it was hardware limitations for this perspective existence back in the day.

I thought Wonder 💭 would offer more than a single perspective.

And yes I know there’s plenty of 2D scrollers out there, many of which I’ve played and enjoyed but reasons for using it is also an art choice which I completely understand as well.

Limbo (2010)
ss_d33513ed37acf1073ea92f182b76e165101bfdac.1920x1080.jpg

Cuphead (2017)
2643276-cuphead-screeshot-flower.jpg

Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2020)
ss_608e317acbb76258bedcf1a79e6673a61475908f.1920x1080.jpg

Inside (2016)
Playdead-Inside_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpg

The Swapper (2013)
ss_0d2aabd0a54815ef72f649af6ec44391f9ec36eb.1920x1080.jpg

All the Mario sidescroller games (since the Wii) have the same shitty artstyle.

The games you included absolutely put Mario to shame.

The sad thing is none of those studios have that big of a budget either. Yes I said "either"

Last edited:

Astral Dog

All the Mario sidescroller games (since the Wii) have the same shitty artstyle.

The games you included absolutely put Mario to shame.

The sad thing is none of those studios have that big of a budget either. Yes I said "either"
None of those styles fits Mario

the graphics haters are so annoying, Super Mario Wonder looks fine as it is, and the art is a big upgrade over the previous games , at this point its mostly limited by the Switch hardware but imagine the next 2D Mario on Switch 2 🤤

It will end up being one of the best games of the year, and i bet one of the best Mario games ever made 😁

kiphalfton

the graphics haters are so annoying, Super Mario Wonder looks fine as it is, and the art is a big upgrade over the previous games , at this point its mostly limited by the Switch hardware but imagine the next 2D Mario on Switch 2 🤤

It will end up being one of the best games of the year, and i bet one of the best Mario games ever made 😁

Not saying any of those artstyle fit Mario.

And besides this isn't even a matter of "Nintendo games aren't about the graphics", like Nintendo fanboys like to use as their go-to argument. This is artstyle related.

Just shows how unambitious Nintendo is in that regard.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

The gameplay looks amazing but the art style is not different enough from the New Super Mario Bros. series imo

I’m actually surprised to see everybody whining about a 2-D Mario game. This is precisely what I expected from a 2-D Mario game don’t like it don’t buy it.

Astral Dog

The gameplay looks amazing but the art style is not different enough from the New Super Mario Bros. series imo
I thought the New super Mario series looked plain, not awful,not good, pretty or great just plain,but they were solid platformers

Super Mario Wonder is more detailed in every way

Other than going for some cartoonish like cuphead or pseudo realistic graphics i don't see a problem, they took what worked in nsmb and added to it.

Maybe on next gen they can add more realism like they did with Super Mario Odyssey but for Switch its fine.

Its the most realized art in 2D Mario since Super Mario World , i assume they don't want to experiment too much with Mario since they own other series for that (Kirby,Yoshi,Donkey Kong,Metroid,etc.)

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I thought the New super Mario series looked plain, not awful,not good, pretty or great just plain,but they were solid platformers

Super Mario Wonder is more detailed in every way

Other than going for some cartoonish like cuphead or pseudo realistic graphics i don't see a problem, they took what worked in nsmb and added to it.

Maybe on next gen they can add more realism like they did with Super Mario Odyssey but for Switch its fine.

Its the most realized art in 2D Mario since Super Mario World , i assume they don't want to experiment too much with Mario since they own other series for that (Kirby,Yoshi,Donkey Kong,Metroid,etc.)
Yeah the gameplay looks amazing. I'm not even saying the visuals are bad I just wish it was different artstyle but I won't let the visuals deter me. I can't wait to play it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah the gameplay looks amazing. I'm not even saying the visuals are bad I just wish it was different artstyle but I won't let the visuals deter me. I can't wait to play it.
Trust me, the visuals are outstanding even on an OG switch in handheld mode and the gameplay is just....perfect. Not one single level like any other. It's batshit how much heart and soul was poured into this.

Top Bottom