• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros Wonder Hype

EruditeHobo

I don’t know what modifications would have been needed for Wonder to support online play, but there would have been some made, and not to the benefit of the game.

There's no reason to think "game design" would suffer much at all if they made this a proper online gameplay experience. It's a little more work, but they already have 4 player couch co-op. It's 2023, and a number of Switch games do this just fine... there's no excuse for this anymore.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I still simply despise the visual style of it in every single trailer and video to date... but I'm sure the later levels will get more interesting. Hearing a bit about the challenge bonus worlds is already promising.

Fake

Not a huge fan of the new mario and luigi model, but lets hope this game is good. I actually like the Super Mario for DS.

Astral Dog

I still simply despise the visual style of it in every single trailer and video to date... but I'm sure the later levels will get more interesting. Hearing a bit about the challenge bonus worlds is already promising.
Wonder certainly is the most varied setting Mario has been on since what the SNES days? Its losing the simplicity of the nsmb games ,has more in common with 3D World

Regardless its a huge improvment on every way from the new! Series(except maybe color palette depending on who you ask) people wanted more cartoony Mario rather than lifeless 3D model they go it

Last edited:

Hudo

The hate I've seen a few people have towards the art style is pretty baffling.

To each their own I suppose.
Yeah. I dig this style quite a lot. And I was one of the people who thought that the New Super Mario Bros. games looked like fan games (not a compliment). Whoever at Nintendo is responsible for the new look should get a raise.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
To each their own I suppose.
I don’t know man.. Anyone who prefers the left model over the right is dead to me.
xt9mzzb.jpg

I don’t know man.. Anyone who prefers the left model over the right is dead to me.
xt9mzzb.jpg
lol, I was mostly being nice. There is no comparison. I don't understand how people dislike the right one. Like... It's perfectly 'Mario' the new animations and everything look great as well.

I've seen dozens of posts saying they hate the look, but not sure I've seen any that actually go into why they dislike it. So I guess that might be interesting if anyone gave context?

Can't wait to play.

BossLackey

Gold Member
lol, I was mostly being nice. There is no comparison. I don't understand how people dislike the right one. Like... It's perfectly 'Mario' the new animations and everything look great as well.

I've seen dozens of posts saying they hate the look, but not sure I've seen any that actually go into why they dislike it. So I guess that might be interesting if anyone gave context?

Can't wait to play.

The new look is quintessential Mario. Much more than the "New!" style, which really lacked that Nintendo je ne sais quoi.

Now Mario moves with the exaggerated swagger of a black teen.

I have been on complete blackout on this game. The only thing I have seen is the title image. Going to pick this up after work and get my girlfriend to play with me. I have no idea what to expect!

Not "hyped", but looking forward to it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I am greatly looking forward to Super Mario Wonder. Not only are we getting a new 2D Mario, but it seems that Nintendo cares enough to put in the effort. I enjoy NSMB U Deluxe, but it does feel like a greatest hits album that only recycles old ideas from the past. It's one of those videogames that I should love to pieces, yet rarely find myself wanting to play.

This is going to be great fun.

Andyliini

Very hyped for this game, Mario games are ofter top notch when it comes to level design.
In case you missed it, the first two parts of Ask the Developer - Super Mario Bros. Wonder just dropped. The first part can be found here. There is some interesting facts about development here yet again. I wished Nintendo did these for all of their games.

Chastten

Banned
Was at a small game event last week where Nintendo had this game playable in their booth. Constant lines so I didn't play it myself, but the game looks like solid fun. I'd imagine it will sell for a long time to come, as it might be the last evergreen title for Switch.

Not sure if 2D Mario games generally get all that much hype pre-release though, the hypetrain is usually reserver for 3D Mario if I'm not mistaken.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
xt9mzzb.jpg

The models are good, no problem there.

...now if they'd just fix the atrocious 90s budget-pc-platformer color palette...

trolls_4.gif

As for capturing the old 80s/90s aesthetic, Mario 3d World was much more faithful to it:
characterselect.jpg

It retained the correct and flat color palettes that give off the early vibe. I had some of those classic illustrations on my wall as a kid, after all. The gradient-heavy and "hot" candy coloration is very antithetical to that style and era, cuts against it harshly.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My copy just arrived early

Lets Go Reaction GIF by WWE

Robb

Gold Member
The models are good, no problem there.

...now if they'd just fix the atrocious 90s budget-pc-platformer color palette...

trolls_4.gif

As for capturing the old 80s/90s aesthetic, Mario 3d World was much more faithful to it:
characterselect.jpg

It retained the correct and flat color palettes that give off the early vibe. I had some of those classic illustrations on my wall as a kid, after all. The gradient-heavy and "hot" candy coloration is very antithetical to that style and era, cuts against it harshly.
Can’t say I agree. 3D World is nothing but more color pallets, the game itself doesn’t capture that esthetic.
MCW9cPO.jpg

Meanwhile you can pretty much take the new model they’ve made for Wonder and straight up just paste it into an old-school manual and it fits perfectly:
8hF78am.jpg

The animation is pretty much an exact trace of the old-school art.

Last edited:
FWIW, this plays a lot more like SMW than NSMB in my opinion. It doesn’t have the heaviness that New Supe has. It’s definitely a snappier feeling Mario game.
How do you know, did you play it? Is there a demo? Otherwise it's all just looking at videos. It also has the same annoying nsmb wii music with thr bop bop.. Ughh. Im up in the air with it. Was going to buy right away, now Ill wait and see.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm ready. Glad I used my nintebdo ticket on it. A new classic 2d Mario that's genuinely incredible makes me very happy.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
SMB Wonder might be my most hyped game this year. Everything I’ve of it played so far has been fantastic and something special. I love 2D Mario games so much, and this one feels like a return to form after almost 2 decades of New Supe.

I’m biased, but everyone should get this game.
Got it today! Streams to follow!! Hype was too much to withhold!

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Very hyped for this game, Mario games are ofter top notch when it comes to level design.
In case you missed it, the first two parts of Ask the Developer - Super Mario Bros. Wonder just dropped. The first part can be found here. There is some interesting facts about development here yet again. I wished Nintendo did these for all of their games.
Interesting that one of their goals was involving the directors/producers of 3D Mario games with the usual team of 2D Mario bros to mix in design ideas seems the project was a big success in terms of criticsl acclaim

(Now they went from making the 3D games resemble the classic 2D games,as was the goal with 3D land/Galaxy to the reverse 🤭)

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Interesting that one of their goals was involving the directors/producers of 3D Mario games with the usual team of 2D Mario bros to mix in design ideas seems the project was a big success in terms of criticsl acclaim

(Now they went from making the 3D games resemble the classic 2D games,as was the goal with 3D land/Galaxy to the reverse 🤭)
The best of their 2D/3D hybrids for me was Mario 3D World. I'd say that game is more of an authentic classic Mario experience than any game in the NSMB series and more than Odyssey by a mile, which was good but a little too weird and off the rails for me.

ji3HQz.jpg

3D World nailed it beautifully--easily the most classic look we've had for the Mushroom Kingdom.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am so glad I went for a blackout after the reveal. This game is so happiness inducing. The Wonder effect of the second level is such a feel good one. Loving it.

Top Bottom