• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros Wonder Hype

Katajx

Gold Member
I’m quickly approaching 40, but this series is responsible for many of my fondest gaming moments.

I’ve been excited since it was announced and not sure if I want to play it at release, or wait till Christmas to share it with my kids.

Waited with Wii U to do that and the experience was incredible.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
typical Mario game again.
Bored Over It GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
SMB Wonder might be my most hyped game this year. Everything I’ve of it played so far has been fantastic and something special. I love 2D Mario games so much, and this one feels like a return to form after almost 2 decades of New Supe.

I’m biased, but everyone should get this game.

Katajx

Gold Member
I am not, typical Mario game again. Im kinda over Mario platformers tbh
So you aren’t interested in it because it’s a platformer?

I guess it can be looked at as being pretty casual, but it is Nintendo at its finest to me. The old boy is always learning some new tricks and going to new places.

The gameplay is pure fun, and not quite like Sonic to me where you are zooming to the goal at the end.

I appreciate the art. It screams Nintendo. It’s expressive and it pops, especially compared to how blocky and pixelated the first game is. It doesn’t have to go for anything super realistic, and it just tries to be FUN.

Even better still, you get to play these games with your friends and family. Although I will miss the chaos of bouncing on someone’s head to drop them in a pit or picking them up and throwing them. Unless I can use yoshi for this.

I can return to them years later and I never have buyers remorse. I do crave some more of that.

Last edited:
Not really. I haven't been into Mario since they started the "New" Super Mario Bros style. I did like 3D Land a lot and 3D World was solid. I'm sure I'll play it at some point though.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
For me, the NSMB series was mostly decent, but this looks awful visually and I still can't get over the ugliness of the Elephant power or the too-saturated candy colors :-/

NSMB1: total trash level design, this one honestly made me think Nintendo forgot how to make 2D Mario games
NSMBWii: actually quite good as a multiplayer game, even fun for singleplayer; they fixed the braindead level design of the first game, even though it's a far cry from Super Mario World or any of the classics;
NSMB2 (3DS): the one people loved to hate, even though it was a very decent game, and infinitely better than NSMB1. The 3D effect was quite nice, and the coin rush mode actually worked well.
NSMBU (WIIU): Not bad at all, basically an expansion of NSMBWii. Some of the extra challenges and secrets were very good.

But Wonder? I still think it's atrociously ugly. And so far I haven't seen any levels that look worth playing, although we have to assume that all the good stuff is blocked out as usual. But if the few overworld & cave levels shown in the previews are how this game is going to turn out, it looks dreadful.

This game looks gorgeous and is just bursting with new ideas. Content seems huge.
Can’t wait to dive in during Christmas.
I think it’s gonna be special and a serious contender for goty.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Waiting for the reviews. I'm a huge fan of 2D, but for platformers, I for some reason only get hyped for the 3D Marios.

tmlDan

So you aren’t interested in it because it’s a platformer?

I guess it can be looked at as being pretty casual, but it is Nintendo at its finest to me. The old boy is always learning some new tricks and going to new places.

The gameplay is pure fun, and not quite like Sonic to me where you are zooming to the goal at the end.

I appreciate the art. It screams Nintendo. It’s expressive and it pops, especially compared to how blocky and pixelated the first game is. It doesn’t have to go for anything super realistic, and it just tries to be FUN.

Even better still, you get to play these games with your friends and family. Although I will miss the chaos of bouncing on someone’s head to drop them in a pit or picking them up and throwing them. Unless I can use yoshi for this.

I can return to them years later and I never have buyers remorse. I do crave some more of that.
okay, thats nice.

is this an ad? to me, they're all the same with slight variations and thats not worth full price.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m happy to see a new Mario game release, but I won’t be buying it until December.

I’m curious as to who’s going to win in sales, Mario or Spiderman?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So hyped about it. It feels like the first real mainline SMB game since Super Mario World. It has all the kinds of gameplay innovations that made SMB3 so hyped.

My only dilemma is whether I should watch more videos than the direct to get even more hyped, or wait and be surprised on Friday

Robb

Gold Member
My only dilemma is whether I should watch more videos than the direct to get even more hyped, or wait and be surprised on Friday
Holding Mel Gibson GIF

The entire gimmick of this one seems to be the wonder effects. I think it’d be a huge mistake watching any more footage this close to release.

I’m very curious how it’ll affect the replayability. That’s probably my only major concern for this one.

Last edited:

Garnox

While I enjoy every new Mario game, this game marks a new milestone for me.

My 5 year old daughter has started playing Mario games with me and we've exhausted all previous titles. This will be our first new title to play through together upon release.

No longer am I playing games for one, but now I've begun the passing of the torch so to speak. Games have a whole new enjoyment now 😎

jcorb

I dunno, from what little I've seen, it just kind of looks... fine? I generally enjoy Mario games, and Nintendo hasn't really let me down in a long while. But I also don't typically expect a lot of shake-ups in these types of games.

I've been a bit bummed they've been staying so safe with the playable characters. I'd love to see more characters, like a shrunk-down Bowser, or even inviting more guests like the Mario Kart games. Playing the same couple characters since Mario 2 (USA), with little to no variation in gameplay, just feels a bit dull after a while.

Still, if I ever manage to get some gaming time with some friends, I'd consider picking it up. Otherwise, I might just wait until it's on sale or something.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wonder looks really fun but with crazy amount of games coming out I decide I have to choose Mario RPG over Wonder.....I might get to it once there are less games coming out.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
No. Never been too keen on the NSMB type games. I'm sure it'll be great though.
FWIW, this plays a lot more like SMW than NSMB in my opinion. It doesn’t have the heaviness that New Supe has. It’s definitely a snappier feeling Mario game.

Hyped enough to part with $60. I'm playing New Super Mario Bros U which I hadn't played before to get myself in the mood.

I "wonder" how much I'll be able to sell my preorder pack of cards for on eBay.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
FWIW, this plays a lot more like SMW than NSMB in my opinion. It doesn’t have the heaviness that New Supe has. It’s definitely a snappier feeling Mario game.
New Super's Level design is also nowhere near as clever or interesting (sans the first game). There's a lot more variety and interesting gimmicks on a level by level basis. It's difficult to get bored, here.

Dacvak

New Super's Level design is also nowhere near as clever or interesting (sans the first game). There's a lot more variety and interesting gimmicks on a level by level basis. It's difficult to get bored, here.
Totally agree. It’ll be interesting to replay these stages a few months from now to see how well the Wonder effects age, though. From what I’ve played, I’d say about 50% of them are pretty standard quality Mario gimmicks that I’ll probably get tired of after a while (which is fine since they’re optional anyway), while the other half are seriously some of the most creative and fun twists I’ve seen in any platformer, let alone a Mario game.

I bet there are a dozen indie studios right now salivating at how they’re going to take one of the better Wonder mechanics and flesh out a whole game with it.

(Wonder effect spoiler)
The effect where the player switches from running on the normal ground to running on the wall of the background is so brilliant. Someone is definitely going to turn that into a full puzzle platformer game at some point.

Katajx

Gold Member
Wonder looks really fun but with crazy amount of games coming out I decide I have to choose Mario RPG over Wonder.....I might get to it once there are less games coming out.
Seems reasonable. I am looking forward to playing this with my 5 year old, but I want to play Spider-Man 2 as well.

Maybe I will get the vouchers and use them for this and RPG. I missed out on that as well.

Top Bottom