• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerd Attack: Are Goku and Superman really that different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering. I'm not much of a western comics fan and I know little about Superman. But it seems that the two are literally the same...origin, power. Superman came first right? Did Toriyama base Goku off of him in part as well? I know that Goku has some ties with the Monkey King tale as well.

So who's stronger?:D And is there any history between the characters?

I'm talking about the characters. They're very similar and as such I don't think it's just coincidence. Has Toriyama even discussed it?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Superman is actually better than Goku since Superman could be considered to always be in a super Sayian state. Ergo, Visa vi, Concordingly

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
CrushDance said:
Superman came first right? Did Toriyama base Goku off of him in part as well? I know that Goku has some ties with the Monkey King tale as well.
Is this a serious question?

Are you seriously having to ask if Superman was around before Akira Toriyama created Goku?

You know Superman was around in the '30s, right?

BlueTsunami said:
Superman is actually better than Goku since Superman could be considered to always be in a super Sayian state. Ergo, Visa vi, Concordingly
So is he the Japanese superman or wholly based off the monkey king story? Ever since I first saw Dragonball and Goku as an adult the similarities were striking.
Whimsical Phil said:
Is this a serious question?

Are you seriously having to ask if Superman was around before Akira Toriyama created Goku?

You know Superman was around in the '30s, right?
I don't know much about comics ^^" The first comic I ever read was Dragonball. And as I said before, I was immediately reminded of Superman from years before. I'm not trying to say that Toriyama would be unoriginal or anything, since the Dragonball "story" and characters were rather interesting. It wouldn't be a bad thing for him to have been inspired later on by superman.
M3wThr33 said:
Trust me. When DBZ came around, that Monkey King shit went straight out the window.
Yeah. That's where I noticed the similarities. Seems like Toriyama started off basing it on the monkey king and along the way got inspired by Superman. hence the constant attacks from outer space and such.

M3wThr33

Banned
CrushDance said:
So is he the Japanese superman or wholly based off the monkey king story? Ever since I first saw Dragonball and Goku as an adult the similarities were striking.
Trust me. When DBZ came around, that Monkey King shit went straight out the window.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
With enough prep time Ippo could destroy Goku. Ippo = Japanese Batman?

CrushDance said:

I don't see the similarities personally. There are lots of God-like figures in Anime/Comics

Amzin

I would say Saiyin-Saga Goku is probably weaker than Superman, but all the later sagas he's stronger/faster.

I've always hated Superman and liked Goku, though, so I >may< be biased.

Although I see what you're talking about with similarities, I think they're mostly superficial or coincidental, and faded as the DBZ series went on.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What similarities? There are no specific similarities between Superman and Goku outside of being powerful. And you've already stated Goku's real inspiration, Journey to the West

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Goku had to work to get strong. Superman got flown to a planet with a sun that fit him.

Superman's a bitch.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I hate to get into this. But the monkey king legend has nothing to do with Superman and as Goku grew up and started doing the super saiyajin thing I would saw he is more of a "Rocky" figure than anything. Always having to face a bigger, badder, faster foe. Superman is always the top dog and never has to grow in his powers.

But they both can fly so I see where the confusion comes from..

grandjedi6 said:
What similarities? There are no specific similarities between Superman and Goku outside of being powerful. And you've already stated Goku's real inspiration, Journey to the West
What? Both born from far away planets that were destroyed, powers based on touchy things such as "emotion" and red suns, speed, strength, death. On and on.

Kyptonite. Tail.

Sun. Moon.

Blackace

CrushDance said:
What? Both born from far away planets that were destroyed, powers based on touchy things such as "emotion" and red suns, speed, strength, death. On and on.

I think you are painting with a wide brush if you think they are anything really alike.

Blackace said:
I think you are painting with a wide brush if you think they are anything really alike.
Well I'm not suggesting that they're carbon copies. And really, what heroes in any medium don't have similarities of of strength and weaknesses. But the level that those two are on makes them very comparable.
dabig2 said:
Goku is a true warrior. Superman is a bitch-trick. That is all.
Well Superman does rely on the sun...
tri_willy said:
thread is utter failure... the difference is blatantly obvious
What?

grandjedi6

CrushDance said:

Kyptonite. Tail.

Sun. Moon.

Okay now that you've listed characteristics of every Sci-fi out there, do you have any specific comparisions?

Blackace

CrushDance said:

Kyptonite. Tail.

Sun. Moon.

You are comparing Tail to kyptonie when for most of the series he doesn't have it. And the moon thing is more werewolf than superman.. because they can't control themselves they just go wild and kill everything when they turn into giant monkeys..

grandjedi6 said:
Okay now that you've listed characteristics of every Sci-fi out there, do you have any specific comparisions?
Blackace said:
You are comparing Tail to kyptonie when for most of the series he doesn't have it. And the moon thing is more werewolf than superman.. because they can't control themselves they just go wild and kill everything when they turn into giant monkeys..

:lol Oaky...Well what got me thinking was this from Wiki:

# Japanese manga artist Akira Toriyama parodied Superman in his first series Dr. Slump, in the form of "Suppaman" (slightly different from Supaman, the way that Superman is written in Japanese katakana), a short, fat, pompous buffoon who transforms into a Superman-like costume by eating a sour (or "suppai" in Japanese) pickled ume fruit (umeboshi). Unlike Superman, Suppaman can't fly, and instead pretends to fly by lying belly down on a skateboard and scooting through the streets. The Dr. Slump characters appeared in an episode of Dragon Ball where in the English dubbed version, Suppaman was renamed "Sourman".
# Toriyama's later series Dragon Ball Z paid homage to Superman as well. The hero, Goku, was sent to Earth to destroy it shortly before his home planet was destroyed. Like Jor-El, his father Burdock also tried to warn his people of their imminent destruction, in the TV movie Bardock: The Father of Goku. Goku's powers are in some ways similar to those of Superman, and similarly large-scale. His mild-mannered son, Gohan, eventually takes a superhero identity as the "Great Saiyaman," while attempting to hide his identity from the tough-as-nails Videl.

Apparently there's an interview out there that Toriyama talks about his inspiration from Superman. I think Goku is a better character personally andd I find him more likable. I'm not trying to bring down Torriyama since both Masashi Kishimoto(Naruto), Kubo Tite(Bleach) and Ichiro Oda(One Piece) have all said that DBZ inspired them.

And DBZ got me into manga/anime as well.

Dragonball came out way before I was even old enough to read or know anything about Japan/comics. So this is kind of a learning experience for me, I've read interviews and snippets with Akira Toriyama. But I'm sure I've missed many things.

I guess the similarities are kind of shaky when you start comparing them to every other hero out there...

bjork

Duke Togo could kill everyone you guys could mention.

As far as Goku and Superman, there's similarities, but I never saw Superman getting any sort of spirit bomb together, and when Goku died, at least the wish via the dragonballs made sense. You didn't get multiple faux gokus all trying to be him.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Goku actually has character

Superman is generic. Oh is that Superman's balls in Wonder Woman's mouth?

davepoobond said:
Goku actually has character

Superman is generic. Oh is that Superman's balls in Wonder Woman's mouth?
Superman is nothing but the best of all of us.

That's why he's weird, that's why he's hard to relate too. Nobody is perfect, but Supes almost seems to be. Goku is a shameless, childish fool, something a lot of people can relate too.

It's not like he's the only one of us to strip off his skivvies at inopportune times.

Xrenity

goku-vs-superman.jpg

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Thunder Monkey said:
Superman is nothing but the best of all of us.

That's why he's weird, that's why he's hard to relate too. Nobody is perfect, but Supes almost seems to be. Goku is a shameless, childish fool, something a lot of people can relate too.

It's not like he's the only one of us to strip off his skivvies at inopportune times.

i'm just jealous of his x-ray eyes

:(

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
CrushDance said:
:lol Oaky...Well what got me thinking was this from Wiki:
# Japanese manga artist Akira Toriyama parodied Superman in his first series Dr. Slump, in the form of "Suppaman" (slightly different from Supaman, the way that Superman is written in Japanese katakana), a short, fat, pompous buffoon who transforms into a Superman-like costume by eating a sour (or "suppai" in Japanese) pickled ume fruit (umeboshi). Unlike Superman, Suppaman can't fly, and instead pretends to fly by lying belly down on a skateboard and scooting through the streets. The Dr. Slump characters appeared in an episode of Dragon Ball where in the English dubbed version, Suppaman was renamed "Sourman".
Let it be known that Arale Norimaki could kick both Superman and Goku's asses. AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!

515QDERCFJL._SS500_.jpg

And go ahead...quote my avatar. I dare you.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Seth C said:
Eh. Depending on who is writing him Superman is powerful enough to destroy planets.
Goku could destroy planets before he even became Super Saiyan. By the end of the show he was ripping holes through dimensions and shit

grandjedi6

Yoboman said:
I would read a cross-over comic like this. Have any manga/comic cross-overs been done before?

Well there was a Dragonball/One Piece one, but thats about it. As you would expect, there isn't much interaction between Japanese and American comic writers

It's no secret that early anime artists took inspiration from many western pop culture icons.

With that said, it's probably just a coincidence. Superman is just one of the most boring and uncreative superhero out there so it's easy to inadvertently copy him.

Yoboman

Gold Member
grandjedi6 said:
Well there was a Dragonball/One Piece one, but thats about it. As you would expect, there isn't much interaction between Japanese and American comic writers
That sucks. I don't think anyone would say no if such an idea was brought up. Is there really any other character in comic/manga besides Goku who could stand up in strength/speed and everything of Superman and is nearly as well known?

Dahbomb

BlueTsunami said:
With enough prep time Ippo could destroy Goku. Ippo = Japanese Batman?
:lol

Speaking of which... Alucard is the Japanese Spawn? Immortal beings? An interesting question is who would win between the two? I want to see the Spawn vs Hellsing fans, let's see which side can come up with the craziest abilities.

Alx

Not completely related, but it made me think about Project A-ko, a crazy anime with a super-strong girl having stupid and over the top adventures. Very funny.
At the end, it turns out she was Superman's daughter :D

batbeg

I always thought they were kind of similar as well, but I've never had any interest in Superman besides seeing some of the movies and watching that Batman and Superman cartoon when I was younger.

karasu

titiklabingapat said:
It's no secret that early anime artists took inspiration from many western pop culture icons.

With that said, it's probably just a coincidence. Superman is just one of the most boring and uncreative superhero out there so it's easy to inadvertently copy him.

That's bullshit. At one point Gohan even stars wearing a pair of glasses as disguise when he's in civilian mode. It was clearly a reference to Clark Kent. Even that teleporting shit they do when they're fighting on DBZ comes right out of Superman II! :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Alx said:
Not completely related, but it made me think about Project A-ko, a crazy anime with a super-strong girl having stupid and over the top adventures. Very funny.
At the end, it turns out she was Superman's daughter :D

And Wonder Woman's daughter. :) And that's not a spoiler.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
No...but if you want to say Naruto, Luffy, and dozen of other Shounen heroes are just rehashes of Goku, who probably is a rehash himself of someone else. Then be my guest:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom