• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub director - 1080p/30FPS is absolutely the best for our game

I remember pgr4 being unceremoniously plopped out like a week after halo 3.

Awful release timing. Everyone was distracted. It was also delayed from an original September release, no doubt due to halo.

I'm trying to think of the timing for Blur. I liked that game but it failed as far as sales went.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
because what that allows us to do is to deliver the most detailed cars in-race that you will ever have seen.

So they changed it from the 250,000 polygons per car like it was originally going to be?
Does Forza 5 have like 1 million + polygon modeled cars?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Burnout Paradise on the Xbox 360 ran at 60fps. If it didn't I'm gonna slap myself in the face for not noticing it.

NVM...I was right:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/67180575
Xbox 360 games that run at 60fps
Burnout revenge
Burnout paradise
Bioshock 1 & 2
Bioshock Infinite
Bayonetta
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Driver: San Francisco
Dirt showdown
Doom 3 BFG Edition
Diablo III
DMC4
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dante's Inferno
Dead or Alive 4 & 5
Forza 2,3 & 4
Flatout ultimate carnage
Grid 2
Goldeneye Reloaded
Hitman HD Trilogy
Killer Is Dead
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Mortal Kombat 9
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Ninja gaiden 2 & 3
Phantasy Star Universe
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Rage
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken 6
Super Street Fighter IV
Soulcalibur IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 3 & 4

Didn't Amped & Fight Night 4 runs at 60fps as well?

benzy

So they changed it from the 250,000 polygons per car like it was originally going to be?
Does Forza 5 have like 1 million + polygon modeled cars?

During the autovista mode where it's just a single car in a closed environment for show, it probably does. During races, definitely no.

During the autovista mode where it's just a single car in a closed environment for show, it probably does. During races, definitely no.

your not really suggesting that they created seperate models only for autovista mode? that would make no sense whatsoever. to enhance polycount without remodeling you could only apply subdivide or smooth mesh to your models which really does not add any detail and should be barely noticeable with already high poly models.

they likely just use enhanced shader precision and a fully dynamic lighting system in AV mode.

benzy

your not really suggesting that they created seperate models only for autovista mode? that would make no sense whatsoever. to enhance polycount without remodeling you could only apply subdivide or smooth mesh to your models which really does not add any detail and should be barely noticeable with already high poly models.

they likely just use enhanced shader precision and a fully dynamic lighting system in AV mode.

I'm suggesting they created a very high poly model and then downgraded the polycount for in-game race models. It's a known fact Turn10 use different LOD models in terms of polycount, amongst other details like textures and shaders. They started doing this with Forza 3. Lighting in autovista is also pre-baked btw. Forza 5 boasting "1 million polygons" per car is just another T10 PR talk that doesn't apply to the actual racing part of the game.

A.I low poly model during in-game race
for97ju8.jpg

Autovista
p2NETcJ.jpg

Same example from Forza 4

Kariodude

Banned
The most important thing in racing games to me is a sense of speed. Higher framerates always do a better job of conveying that sense of speed. 720p and 60fps would have been better. They say the 1080p allows everything to be more detailed, but I'm not gonna get the game to look at menus and screenshots, I want to actually play it.

I'm suggesting they created a very high poly model and then downgraded the polycount for in-game race models. It's a known fact Turn10 use different LOD models in terms of polycount, amongst other details like textures and shaders. They started doing this with Forza 3. Lighting in autovista is also pre-baked btw. Forza 5 boasting "1 million polygons" per car is just another T10 PR talk that doesn't apply to the actual racing part of the game.

for97ju8.jpg

Autovista
p2NETcJ.jpg

well apart from that looking like a bug in LOD scaling, it's exactly what im talking of (while being a bit of an extreme example). the headlight barrel is subdivided in considarble less parts in game than in AV mode. thats not the same as if you would add actually extra details in AV mode as e.g. a fully poligonal modeled exhaust system instead of just a textured exhaust in game. no one would do that, hence you would have to model your car twice (=expensive).

the rest just is a difference in material shading (more layers) in combination with decent lighting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My point is bigger than that. Why offer up two games that stylistically look so similar that the average consumer could confuse them?

You end up hurting your brand when you've got two similar franchises competing for the attention of consumers.

I'm a big racing game fan, but the moment I saw Driveclub my first response was "why". Yes, I'm just one person, but I have a pretty broad taste in racing games and this one doesn't even tickle the needle for me. I'm buying Mario Kart at the end of the month. I'm very likely going to buy the GT when it arrives on the PS4. Driveclub does nothing for me because it just sits in the same middle ground that PGR languished and died in years ago.

Arguably forza/forza horizon are stylistically even more similar, they even share the same name. Yet horizon has been lauded as one of the best racing games of last gen. To anyone at enjoys racing games,there is a huge difference between a sim approach like GT/forza, and a more relaxed approach to handling with horizon/PGR and hopefully driveclub

Explanation : Project cars does not look as good as Driveclub. Nowhere close.
Currently, yes it's nowhere even close.

Now before anyone freaks out yes i know the game is still in development but this is what i've been seeing for 2 years now and i'm getting the feeling a lot of these assets will end up being permanent.

Just downloaded a new update today and this is what I'm getting the majority of the tracks as far as detail goes.

TheCloser

Banned

Now before anyone freaks out yes i know the game is still in development but this is what i've been seeing for 2 years now and i'm getting the feeling a lot of these assets will end up being permanent.

Just downloaded a new update today and this is what I'm getting the majority of the tracks as far as detail goes.

Wow that looks bad on PC, like nfs level bad. All i had seen was the screenshots on pc and i guess the game is inconsistent visually? I mean, i've seen some videos and they looked decent but if thats on pc, wow. Its not even close. There is a generational gap in environments and lighting.

markao

Wow that looks bad on PC, like nfs level bad. All i had seen was the screenshots on pc and i guess the game is inconsistent visually? I mean, i've seen some videos and they looked decent but if thats on pc, wow. Its not even close. There is a generational gap in environments and lighting.
That's because you are looking at 4 (or 3, could be double Le Mans?) non finished tracks with a lot of temp assets.

benzy

well apart from that looking like a bug in LOD scaling, it's exactly what im talking of (while being a bit of an extreme example). the headlight barrel is subdivided in considarble less parts in game than in AV mode. thats not the same as if you would add actually extra details in AV mode as e.g. a fully poligonal modeled exhaust system instead of just a textured exhaust in game. no one would do that, hence you would have to model your car twice (=expensive).

the rest just is a difference in material shading (more layers) in combination with decent lighting.

Don't they also render the whole engine bay under the hood in autovista? There's no point in having that rendered when you can't even see it during a race, the damage system doesn't even allow for the hood to pop off. It's a waste of resources, especially for a game that's striving for a constant 60fps, and actually manages to pull it off very well. I'm not even sure why this argument started in the first place; the race models are no where near 1 million polygons, you're suggesting otherwise?

The Forza 4 example is basically the opposite of what you're saying. Forza 5 uses the same techniques.

MzBjk6J.jpg

Haha, not really. 60 fps makes a big difference for racers. Sim racers like more accurate physics and such. The graphics just happen to be a plus.

HORRORSHØW

Don't they also render the whole engine bay under the hood in autovista? There's no point in having that rendered when you can't even see it during a race, the damage system doesn't even allow for the hood to pop off. It's a waste of resources, especially for a game that's striving for a constant 60fps, and actually manages to pull it off very well. I'm not even sure why this argument started in the first place; the race models are no where near 1 million polygons, you're suggesting otherwise?

The Forza 4 example is basically the opposite of what you're saying. Forza 5 uses the same techniques.

MzBjk6J.jpg

god damn that's ugly.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
30 fps is awful for a racer, you can easily feel a racing game dropping from 60 to 50 fps. People that accept 30 are the same people that are willing to say : Ah ok Mr government, this tax will only be for 2 years, then 10 years later they accept it has normal.

They gradually but slowly make you accept thing that you wouldn't tolerate before has normal and Ok.

Racing games should be constructed as base at 60fps on console just like fighting games.

On pc it's another story since the dev use x setup and you make it the way you want to be

_machine

Those 2 tracks haven't been updated in ages nor have their polish pass started and will certainly not look like that in release. For example both of those have only placeholder trees and no 3D trees yet. Try out Brands or Infineon for ones that are closer to release quality.

Or offscreen gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUkipaL3Z0

I think they both look absolutely brilliant and either looking "horrible" is just huge hyperbole. They both do suffer from some IQ issues (at least with the build I played last December) and have their own strengths (Dynamic GI vs more cars on grid etc, 30fps vs 60fps). That said, the screenshots we've seen from DC are certainly not gameplay direct feed; that sort of IQ will not be present in the final game.

30 fps is awful for a racer, you can easily feel a racing game dropping from 60 to 50 fps. People that accept 30 are the same people that are willing to say : Ah ok Mr government, this tax will only be for 2 years, then 10 years later they accept it has normal.

They gradually but slowly make you accept thing that you wouldn't tolerate before has normal and Ok.

Racing games should be constructed as base at 60fps on console just like fighting games.

On pc it's another story since the dev use x setup and you make it the way you want to be

Dont buy the game then....

The motorstorm games were 30 fps and super fun as well.

Dinjooh

Those 2 tracks haven't been updated in ages nor have their polish pass started and will certainly not look like that in release. For example both of those have only placeholder trees and no 3D trees yet. Try out Brands or Infineon for ones that are closer to release quality.

For example Brands (no polish pass yet, but it's laser-scanned and the most recent one added):

Or offscreen gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUkipaL3Z0

I think they both look absolutely brilliant and either looking "horrible" is just huge hyperbole. They both do suffer from some IQ issues (at least with the build I played last December) and have their own strengths (Dynamic GI vs more cars on grid etc, 30fps vs 60fps). That said, the screenshots we've seen from DC are certainly not gameplay direct feed; that sort of IQ will not be present in the final game.

That video looked fantastic - really excited to see how Driveclub compares in gameplay.

shinnn

for97ju8.jpg

Autovista
p2NETcJ.jpg

Same example from Forza 4
You got a hell of a bug in that 500 pic. Care to elaborate what you did to get that low poly model? I can only imagine you entered photomode, go far away from a car, zoomed in to get a lowest lod possible?

Thats far away from what you see in "in-game race".

I think the in-game model of the player car in FM5 is the same as photomode in FM4 (1m polys?). The AI car poly count varies when gets close to the camera.

in-game AI car models:

recording_2014-03-08_flja6.jpg

recording_2014-04-12_3sjk0.jpg

recording_2014-04-05_yakh6.jpg

replay (use the same lod model as in-game). Enzo is an AI car:

recording_2014-04-05_3sj9b.jpg

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)

you posted some screenshots from tracks that are in early development stages/ havent been updated in a long time

this is what it can look like in game (on pc @ 4k)

vlcsnap-2014-05-05-23h03m03s14 by halcyphoto, on Flickr

some more polished tracks:

https://flic.kr/p/neU4SN

https://flic.kr/p/neU7zS

https://flic.kr/p/nyaNzD

https://flic.kr/p/nyaqHx

https://flic.kr/p/nukNeW

https://flic.kr/p/nukNo3

R_Deckard

They also screwed up by adding motorcycles to the game, a move nobody was asking for.

No way no how...Motorcycles made that game for me, far more fun and involvement than the cars..infact I wish PD would make a sequel to the Awesome Tourist Trophy.

And how did ADDING CONTENT screw up the game?

Ahhh this was the point I was making a few days back, I have also played the Beta and the amount of people talking up Pcars is most likely the ones who have not played it, leagues away from DriveClub in Assets,Scenery and Lighting

LCGeek

formerly sane
Explanation : Project cars does not look as good as Driveclub. Nowhere close.

Nor was it the intent or would be possible considering the physics in a sim game take up a decent bit of power. Love how this is ignored to spew a narrative neither game is aiming for. DC could never pull it looks off if it had to the simulation project cars has to do.

DC is going to be a great arcade racer for me, how much remains to be seen. As for project cars I already know it's a great sim experience and will be replacing a lot of others I've been in the mood to do since the dreamcast.

Thrakier

Dont buy the game then....

The motorstorm games were 30 fps and super fun as well.

I loved them too back then. Super fun, really great. PR might be the best racer I've ever played.

But things change. So does my perception. Just because something in the past was fine, it doesn't mean it's still fine today.

Any chance we could just get some side by side pics of some actual in game footage? Man so many "photo modes" "auto vistas" "far LOD closeups in replay mode" What the crap. Goddamn racing games.

p3tran

Banned
nice, I see the driveclub thread is bumped, i click, only to find people are trolling the other games that are not driveclub.

No way no how...Motorcycles made that game for me, far more fun and involvement than the cars..infact I wish PD would make a sequel to the Awesome Tourist Trophy.

And how did ADDING CONTENT screw up the game?

Ahhh this was the point I was making a few days back, I have also played the Beta and the amount of people talking up Pcars is most likely the ones who have not played it, leagues away from DriveClub in Assets,Scenery and Lighting

I agree I really enjoyed the bikes in PGR4, especially the legacy bikes like the old BSA ones.

Either way I'm looking forward to this and Project Cars, they both look and sound amazing.

Fredrik

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Burnout Paradise on the Xbox 360 ran at 60fps. If it didn't I'm gonna slap myself in the face for not noticing it.

NVM...I was right:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/67180575
Xbox 360 games that run at 60fps
Burnout revenge
Burnout paradise
Bioshock 1 & 2
Bioshock Infinite
Bayonetta
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Driver: San Francisco
Dirt showdown
Doom 3 BFG Edition
Diablo III
DMC4
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dante's Inferno
Dead or Alive 4 & 5
Forza 2,3 & 4
Flatout ultimate carnage
Grid 2
Goldeneye Reloaded
Hitman HD Trilogy
Killer Is Dead
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Mortal Kombat 9
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Ninja gaiden 2 & 3
Phantasy Star Universe
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Rage
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken 6
Super Street Fighter IV
Soulcalibur IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 3 & 4
Huh? Dirt Showdown, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, Grid 2, Ridge Racer Unbounded... I haven't played them so I can't confirm them myself but I thought these were 30fps? Other games on that list seems wrong too, Bioshock serie for example.

Gestault

for97ju8.jpg

I have to say, for anyone with even passing familiarity with that game, it's clear you're deliberately misleading. The symbol in the corner and the supersampling means that's taken in photo mode, which makes it even clearer that it's uncharacteristic glitch.

Keep the discussions to DriveClub people.

A lot of the peripheral convos are about trade-offs in racing titles when balancing between visual clarity and performance. That does seem in the spirit of the topic.

Top Bottom