• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge in-game video. Wash away that "next-gen" cynicism instantly. MUST SEE

Bluemercury said:
Look im just saying this probably needs a fast response view/rotational system and the analog cursor is not ideal, but they're probably adjusting this to these controls. Still the mouse is probably the best way still
Good lord. How low do you set your stick sensitivity? If you can't make a 45 degree turn on a gamepad in that much time you either suck of have the sensitivity set waaaaay to low.

Bluemercury said:
its not the movement that is the problem but, like i said, the rotational speed, unless there's some mechanized or automatic things in there i just see the mouse being the best system for this.

I do agree that mouse is the best tool for accuracy, but in the previews they talk about inertia being a big factor in your movement. With a keyboard, you can either run forward or back, to walk you usually hold down a button. I am not totally sure how this game is played, but I think the ability to simply slow down your speed without coming to a stop would help. I am just assuming right now, but in my mind the way I think it will control, I just see the crutch of using analog for aiming is worth it since you have an analog for movement as well.

and while I do think mouse is the best with FPS games, I don't have a big problem with compromising for console only shooters.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Good lord. How low do you set your stick sensitivity? If you can't make a 45 degree turn on a gamepad in that much time you either suck of have the sensitivity set waaaaay to low.

Good lord or bad lord, it still doesnt change the fact that analog sticks have a limited degree movement when compared to a mouse and wiimote. And sensitivity doesnt solve these limitations.

ilikeme

Faith looks really spunky and I love it! The Singapore-ean colors are a fresh breath also, and parkour is too cool =)

The momentum based mechanics and think-on-your-feet gameplay sounds like a thrill too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUZP86HX-4&feature=related - GameTrailers interview with Producer Tom Farrer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZKRVkZvtA&feature=related# - Gamereactor interview with Producer Owen O'Brien

And this three-part interview by Gameplayer with Tom Farrer also
Part 1 - http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/P...aspx?CID=2b445aba-9806-40e6-9bf7-2fadebfe79b8
Part 2 - http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/P...aspx?CID=31a61bfb-8efb-4eff-8b5d-650aaed7dcdb
Part 3 - http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/P...aspx?CID=2f2e5366-e290-4738-9582-3dcaa7f7e4cc

And the story is actually written by Rhianna Pratchett who wrote the stories for Overlord and Heavenly Sword. (Yes she is daughter to Terry)

Arstechnica has two interviews with her about writing those two games:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/cul...talks-Heavenly-Sword-Sony-and-Andy-Serkis.ars
http://arstechnica.com/articles/cul...-writer-and-co-story-designer-of-overlord.ars

(Maybe the essentials could be added to the OP?)

Salazar

ilikeme said:
And PLEASE DO READ this three-part interview by Gameplayer with Tom Farrer also

PLEASE DO READ THIS SHIT (Maybe the essentials could be added to the OP?)

We're interested, goddamnit. You don't need to boss people here into reading about games.

Merci beaucoup for the links, though.

aeolist

Banned
You know it's weird to say it, but even though I'm going to buy this game on PC I'll probably use my gamepad to play it. I don't think the platforming would feel as good on the mouse and keyboard, and since combat isn't the main theme it won't make a lot of difference when it comes to aiming.

adg1034

I noticed a call for the music from the trailer, so I quickly got the audio from the second half of the trailer, the part without any sound effects.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zio0pi

If you guys want, I can also just put up a direct rip of the audio from the whole trailer, complete with footsteps, Faith's breathing, etc. Let me know.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Varshes

adg1034 said:
I noticed a call for the music from the trailer, so I quickly got the audio from the second half of the trailer, the part without any sound effects.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zio0pi

If you guys want, I can also just put up a direct rip of the audio from the whole trailer, complete with footsteps, Faith's breathing, etc. Let me know.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Hey thanks a bunch, I love the music from the trailer, any idea who did this?

Tntnnbltn

Dark FaZe said:
There's absolutely no way to know EXACTLY how her upper body is positioned during this. Also trying to recreate this movement without actually FALLING through the air is pretty stupid. We also don't know Faiths actual build. People have different heights, wingspans, etc. It doesn't come off to me as awkward at all that her arms aren't reaching through her legs there. And I'd think that while falling backwards through the air you aren't going to have a very conventional shooting form to begin with.
Unless she was born without an upper arm, her hand shouldn't be ending at her navel.

iw25qf.jpg
vs
29cv35.jpg

(I know it's not a completely fair comparison, as the first pic is rotated and not falling, but you get the gist)

Ramenman

Maybe you're right, but that's over analyzing to me, doesn't look like something I would notice during game.

Didn't notice it when watching the trailer for the 5th time actually :D

Tntnnbltn

Ramenman said:
Maybe you're right, but that's over analyzing to me, doesn't look like something I would notice during game.

Didn't notice it when watching the trailer for the 5th time actually :D
I only noticed it because of the GAF discussion and gif. :lol

sun-drop

what's with the OP thread title?

looks OK ..nothing mind blowing though, gfx wise anyways. assasins creed is on par AT LEAST.

but yeh ..1st person ... could be interesting.

Tntnnbltn said:
Unless she was born without an upper arm, her hand shouldn't be ending at her navel.

iw25qf.jpg
vs
29cv35.jpg

(I know it's not a completely fair comparison, as the first pic is rotated and not falling, but you get the gist)

This reminds me of the scene from Boondock Saint where they are talking about how the guy was shot in the head and figured out it was two shooters. Basically, Faith is secretly two people with one set of legs who are both shooting with their left arms that have right hands pasted on.

Yoboman

Tntnnbltn said:

iw25qf.jpg
vs
29cv35.jpg

Because there's no way her arm could be bending at the elbow

In any case, even that looks awkward. There are plenty of other scenes showing her body looking perfectly normal

Lykathea said:
I'd say quite bad. Even considering gaming's generally low standards.

It wasnt really bad.

Granted, I could be only remembering the cool cutscenes and how awesome Kai was, but yeah...I dont remember it to be bad.

Lykathea

Banned
The following is my opinion and nothing more (may contain *spoilers*):

All the characters sucked and their relationships to one another were plagued by an aura of extreme uninterestingness. Even when the game had decent potential to play with the malevolent father and submissive son scenario (about the only remotely intriguing relationship in the game) it goes and cripples itself by resorting to low-brow slapstick with little to no significance--and unfortunately the childlike slapstick (N.B.: this is not even good, clever slapstick a la Chaplin, Keaton etc.) seeps into pretty much every other relationship forcing me to question if the entire purpose of the narrative in the game is to retell a three stooges episode in mythical China with Andy Serkis' face staring down at me as much as possible.

Don't get me wrong the story isn't all bad (i.e. killing off Nariko at the end) but in general it is boring trash that serves no other purpose than to show off Ninja Theory's amazing digital actor capabilities and to serve up relatively interesting backdrops for gameplay.

Bluemercury said:
Good lord or bad lord, it still doesnt change the fact that analog sticks have a limited degree movement when compared to a mouse and wiimote. And sensitivity doesnt solve these limitations.
:lol Wiimote? Yeah, turning around in Red Steel wasn't a chore.

karasu

Lykathea said:

All the characters sucked and their relationships to one another were plagued by an aura of extreme uninterestingness. Even when the game had decent potential to play with the malevolent father and submissive son scenario (about the only remotely intriguing relationship in the game) it goes and cripples itself by resorting to low-brow slapstick with little to no significance--and unfortunately the childlike slapstick (N.B.: this is not even good, clever slapstick a la Chaplin, Keaton etc.) seeps into pretty much every other relationship forcing me to question if the entire purpose of the narrative in the game is to retell a three stooges episode in mythical China with Andy Serkis' face staring down at me as much as possible.

Agreed!

aeolist

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
:lol Wiimote? Yeah, turning around in Red Steel wasn't a chore.
And it's obviously not possible to do it any better than a shitty Ubisoft launch game? No, clearly fucking Red Steel pushed the Wii remote as far as it can possibly go.

Dumbass.

aeolist said:
And it's obviously not possible to do it any better than a shitty Ubisoft launch game? No, clearly fucking Red Steel pushed the Wii remote as far as it can possibly go.

Dumbass.
I don't understand how you can "push" the fundamental concept of the Wiimote. The only way to make it work is to point to the edge of the screen to start turning, like Red Steel. It's no more functional than an analog stick for turning in an FPS. Sure you can point at what's in front of you, but turning is not different.

aeolist said:

Dumbass.

Turning in Metroid Prime 3 (what fans consider the best FPS controls) also was poor, and to clairify, I did play with advanced controls.

Lykathea said:

Don't get me wrong the story isn't all bad (i.e. killing off Nariko at the end) but in general it is boring trash that serves no other purpose than to show off Ninja Theory's amazing digital actor capabilities and to serve up relatively interesting backdrops for gameplay.

I don't remember much from it, the things that stick out for me were:

1) I didnt hate it
2) Cutscenes were great to look at
3) Kai was awesome

I dont think any of them have to do with the actual writting exactly, but yeah.

aeolist

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I don't understand how you can "push" the fundamental concept of the Wiimote. The only way to make it work is to point to the edge of the screen to start turning, like Red Steel. It's no more functional than an analog stick for turning in an FPS. Sure you can point at what's in front of you, but turning is not different.
What? That's not a hardware limitation. They coded the game to be that way, it's a software problem.

Other games have done it better and there are more coming out that should push it even further.

aeolist said:
What? That's not a hardware limitation. They coded the game to be that way, it's a software problem.

Other games have done it better and there are more coming out that should push it even further.
So please, explain to me how else they can do it. MoH and Metroid aren't really any better.

aeolist

Banned
Linkzg said:
Turning in Metroid Prime 3 (what fans consider the best FPS controls) also was poor, and to clairify, I did play with advanced controls.
You mean it had what you think fans consider the best FPS controls. MP3 had much better turning and aiming than Red Steel, but it was still kind of loose and floaty because Metroid Prime is not a twitchy arcade FPS that needs ultra precision. The last Medal of Honor game was a pile of shit but had extremely customizable (and thus really awesome) aiming controls.

aeolist said:
You mean it had what you think fans consider the best FPS controls. MP3 had much better turning and aiming than Red Steel, but it was still kind of loose and floaty because Metroid Prime is not a twitchy arcade FPS that needs ultra precision. The last Medal of Honor game was a pile of shit but had extremely customizable (and thus really awesome) aiming controls.

I don't think about what the fans consider the best, that is what they post all the time whenever the subject comes up.

Personally, I think Link's Crossbow training takes it with the Monkey War minigame from Super Monkey Ball at number two.

aeolist

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
So please, explain to me how else they can do it. MoH and Metroid aren't really any better.
They're not perfect, no, but if you're seriously trying to claim that they're not improved in the least then you either haven't played the games or are intentionally misrepresenting them in order to further your own weird little agenda.

aeolist

Banned
Never mind, this is way too off-topic. The Mirror's Edge guy said specifically they think the Wii is neat and would like to work on it but this game isn't being developed for it in any way.

Personally I think the controls could work really well with a game like this. Maybe someone will mod the PC game to work with the remote.

aeolist said:
They're not perfect, no, but if you're seriously trying to claim that they're not improved in the least then you either haven't played the games or are intentionally misrepresenting them in order to further your own weird little agenda.
So I just have to have an agenda to say that turning in Wii FPS games isn't much better than with a gamepad? Fuck off with that. I don't subscribe to your dumb console war bullshit. I just have an opinion.

Masta_Killah said:
Sonic Team take note, this is how Sonic should be.
After thinking about it, yea, you're completely right on this one. The Genesis Sonic games were all momentum/physics based, and the goal was to maintain that momentum while avoiding and maneuvering around obstacles. It is unfortunate that they forgot about this after the 16-bit era.

Also, this game looks really interesting. I love the color scheme currently in use, really sets it apart from most games currently on the market. One can only hope they nail the control scheme and make sure there is plenty of variety. I also hope that the levels sport multiple paths, and aren't entirely linear. Keep an eye on this one, I shall.

Helzown

Himuro said:
What is so great about this, graphics aside? Why would anyone think a first person platformer is a good idea at all? And what's more, the platforming in that video is as vanilla as it gets.

I'm afraid that next gen cynics win this round.

The point is that these people are trying to do first person platforming right. We think it's a bad idea because it's never been done well before, but if this game is able to implement it correctly... we have a completely different game. Top to bottom this is something completely different from anything we've seen this generation, from graphic/art style to game mechanics. Even Faith (the main character) deviates from most of the protagonists we've been seeing as of late.

With that being said, this game could very easily be terrible... but it's not hard to see why so many gamers' interests have been piqued.

Himuro said:
What is so great about this, graphics aside? Why would anyone think a first person platformer is a good idea at all? And what's more, the platforming in that video is as vanilla as it gets.

It doesn't seem "different" at all.
I just really like the idea of Prince of Persia type platforming in the first person. It'll make the epic leaps of faith that much more intense. If they can pull it off, which I'm hopeful they will, it could be something amazing.

FatalT

Banned
Himuro said:

It doesn't seem "different" at all.

It's the whole "total immersion" idea of everything being from your point of view. There are hardly any games that stick with everything being from a first person perspective while being more than just a generic shooter. It's what made Breakdown so awesome to me.

Innotech

Banned
good music, but this footage is making me motion sick. I dont think I will buy this when I get a 360. It is ambitious though.

Haunted

aeolist said:
Never mind, this is way too off-topic. The Mirror's Edge guy said specifically they think the Wii is neat and would like to work on it but this game isn't being developed for it in any way.

Personally I think the controls could work really well with a game like this.
Agreed.

And the PC version will have the best controls, that's not really debatable. Still, analogue sticks are serviceable. Not as good as mouse controls, especially for an FP game such as is, but not unplayable or anything.

Haunted One said:
And the PC version will have the best controls, that's not really debatable. Still, analogue sticks are serviceable. Not as good as mouse controls, especially for an FP game such as is, but not unplayable or anything.

I'm not sure why, the developers have made it clear the game is being built around 2 analog sticks and shoulder buttons (the want to avoid face buttons). As far as the FP stuff goes, that's a very limited part of the game. Most of the combat is meant to be hand to hand.

AKS

Haunted One said:
Agreed.

Actually, it's easily debatable. This game isn't a shooter, it's a platforming parkour game with some occasional action and shooting mixed in. I'm not sure I'd want to play such a game with KB/M over a control pad.

Top Bottom