• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge in-game video. Wash away that "next-gen" cynicism instantly. MUST SEE

Pimpwerx

The PSN trailer gives me an Ultraviolet vibe. I don't know. That was an awful movie, but the beginning had her playing the basic messenger role, and she did have to do some crazy shit to escape. Meh...maybe not. PEACE.

Gav

Something similar may have been posted, but i actually contacted DICE, and i got this in return

The track in the Mirror's Edge video is a part of the soundtrack for the game specifically commissioned by DICE. All we can say at the moment is that it is produced by well-known music industry producers. More information will be available closer to the launch of Mirror's Edge.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
If they have a modicum of common sense left, Sonic Team (whatever the hell that means these days) should be paying very close attention to this game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Revelations said:
Decmber is awesome. is there anyway we can grab these?
Yep. Just click the download button on the upper right while the song is playing and you will download the MP3. He's giving away all his music for free.

Manager

SapientWolf said:
I got a Jason Cluts vibe from the music. It sounded a little similar to what he was going for in the song "December", only much more subtle.

The end almost sounds like Coldplay.

Thanks, I was wondering what kind of genre this is.

Here's a direct link to December btw, from his official site:
http://www.jasoncluts.com/.\music\resequenced_december.mp3

Is there anyone else "good one" that does similar music to the one in the Mirror's Edge video? Feels like there should be tons of movie OSTs with similar music.

Davidion

SapientWolf said:
I got a Jason Cluts vibe from the music. It sounded a little similar to what he was going for in the song "December", only much more subtle.

Very nice, thanks for linking.

I don't feel like there's much of a connection between Cluts' work and the trailer music though. Guess we'll see down the line.

Davidion said:
Very nice, thanks for linking.

I don't feel like there's much of a connection between Cluts' work and the trailer music though. Guess we'll see down the line.

Yeah same here. While it is nice I dont see a similarity at all with the music in the trailer.

WrikaWrek

Banned
joedan said:
Seems like a game that would work well with the wiimote.

It really doesn't. At all, because it would look like ______ and i need for it to look like non _____ in order better see the kind of moves i have to do.

Shins

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
It really doesn't. At all, because it would look like ______ and i need for it to look like non _____ in order better see the kind of moves i have to do.
"Cat dander" and "dairy"

Mad libs are a blast.

joedan

Not a joke. Didn't say it would work well on the Wii and its horsepower. I'm referencing the controls. 360, PS3, PC whatever. Wii controls seem well suited to the game.

SPEA

joedan said:
Not a joke. Didn't say it would work well on the Wii and its horsepower. I'm referencing the controls. 360, PS3, PC whatever. Wii controls seem well suited to the game.
Cause running on top of buildings is better with the Wiimote?

Ramenman

joedan said:

No sorry. Nothing seems well suited to the Wii Controls.

Or explain to me, cause that's just the perfect kind of game I just DONT see me playing on Wii.
And I'm usually good at that.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Wow, I wish all next gen graphics look like that. Wow. That will make me jump from just owning a Wii console that is for sure. God damn. Wow. I wish you never have to use a gun. I would rather just freewalk all day long.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
... Maybe you should elaborate, because I think it's safe to say that no one has a clue what you're talking about.

yeah.

Wii controls are so far off from being the ideal way of controlling this game. I would actually say it seems like DS3/360 controller would even be better than PC for this one.

joedan

InsertCredit said:
wow. what?

Grabbing. sliding. taking down with feet. melee combat etc. etc. 'running' would be via analogue stick with either control scheme so i wasn't referring to that. Why pretend to not understand? Not talking about graphics once again.

Shins

Banned
joedan said:
Grabbing. sliding. taking down with feet. melee combat etc. etc. 'running' would be via analogue stick with either control scheme so i wasn't referring to that. Why pretend to not understand? Not talking about graphics once again.
Could you give a breakdown on how those gameplay elements would be controlled via Wii remote, in your mind?

joedan said:

NOOOOOOOOO

joedan said:

You aren't really explaining why they would be better. Actually, you are making a better argument for why it would be bad with the wiimote.

Cheerilee

Unattractive is the new brown.

Fortunately, this is a first-person game, so it'll fail to deliver the unattractiveness just as Metroid Prime failed to make Samus look hot.

Hello blue sky. I've missed you.

androvsky

I was thinking the Sixaxis would make a lot of sense in this game, using it to balance when running across the pipes, ala Uncharted. Don't really know how it would work with the Wiimote unless you don't need to look around much (i.e., it really is on rails). :)

Kyoufu

SapientWolf said:

*bookmarked* the tune that plays on the homepage is amazing.

SPEA said:
Cause running on top of buildings is better with the Wiimote?

Shins said:
Could you give a breakdown on how those gameplay elements would be controlled via Wii remote, in your mind?

You pple underestimate the cursor accuracy of the wiimote, anyway is this coming to pc right?cant see me playing this with a regular pad.....to slow for the kind of action im seing here.

Linkzg said:
yeah.

Wii controls are so far off from being the ideal way of controlling this game. I would actually say it seems like DS3/360 controller would even be better than PC for this one.

:lol :lol :lol with the fast response needed for this you think a pad is better?get out of here....

Anyway this puts the genericness of the latest two fps games with a two in the end of the title, to shame......

Shins

Banned
Bluemercury said:
You pple underestimate the cursor accuracy of the wiimote, anyway is this coming to pc right?cant see me playing this with a regular pad.....to slow for the kind of action im seing here.
The cursor is interesting, but I don't really follow you on how it would be utilized for those moves mentioned?

Shins said:
The cursor is interesting, but I don't really follow you on how it would be utilized for those moves mentioned?

the problem with this game in the consoles ,assuming that when you jump you control the direction in mid air, is that dual analog is just way to slow or precise to land on the places where you should, its just too fast. That scene where she jumps in diagonal to reach a pipe i see people falling many times and missing it. This is going to be much better controlled with a mouse.

Helzown

I'm not sold that it's gonna be the best game ever, but it's definitely impressive. I guarantee I will purchase this game on the effort alone, good or bad I imagine it to be an interesting experience.

Shins

Banned
Bluemercury said:
the problem with this game in the consoles ,assuming that when you jump you control the direction in mid air, is that dual analog is just way to slow or precise to land on the places where you should, its just too fast. That scene where she jumps in diagonal to reach a pipe i see people falling many times and missing it. This is going to be much better controlled with a mouse.
From the trailer, it seemed like there was high degree of "stickiness" to that jump which allowed a lot of wiggle room to plant the feet.

Still, if you do gain precision in your aiming of jumps, what about the buttons handling "grabbing. sliding. taking down with feet. melee combat etc. etc."? The Wii Remote has some great strengths, but multiple mapped control mechanisms aren't really one of them, given the lower number of buttons available.

If you start mapping function to the motion controls, you sacrifice precision in a new area; in a game that moves fast enough that you're worried that analog controls won't keep up, do we want to be waggling for quick moves like jumping, sliding, and grabbing?

Bluemercury said:
:lol :lol :lol with the fast response needed for this you think a pad is better?get out of here....

Anyway this puts the genericness of the latest two fps games with a two in the end of the title, to shame......

I don't really understand what you are saying (Im assuming English isnt your first language), but if you read what the brief info there is about the controls, it seems like it is better suited to a controller. I still think the PC version will be the best, but just like I think playing Assassin's Creed with a keyboard would be janky, this type of game seems like you would want an analog stick for movement. It really isnt a problem, I can plug in my 360 or DS3 to my PC and play it.

Shins said:
From the trailer, it seemed like there was high degree of "stickiness" to that jump which allowed a lot of wiggle room to plant the feet.

Still, if you do gain precision in your aiming of jumps, what about the buttons handling "grabbing. sliding. taking down with feet. melee combat etc. etc."? The Wii Remote has some great strengths, but multiple mapped control mechanisms aren't really one of them, given the lower number of buttons available.

If you start mapping function to the motion controls, you sacrifice precision in a new area; in a game that moves fast enough that you're worried that analog controls won't keep up, do we want to be waggling for quick moves like jumping, sliding, and grabbing?

Look im just saying this probably needs a fast response view/rotational system and the analog cursor is not ideal, but they're probably adjusting this to these controls. Still the mouse is probably the best way still

Linkzg said:
I don't really understand what you are saying (Im assuming English isnt your first language), but if you read what the brief info there is about the controls, it seems like it is better suited to a controller. I still think the PC version will be the best, but just like I think playing Assassin's Creed with a keyboard would be janky, this type of game seems like you would want an analog stick for movement. It really isnt a problem, I can plug in my 360 or DS3 to my PC and play it.

its not the movement that is the problem but, like i said, the rotational speed, unless there's some mechanized or automatic things in there i just see the mouse being the best system for this.

Mash

permutated said:
I think it's kind of sickening that everyone creams themselves over every generic FPS like Battlefield (opinion) but they don't give a shit about a truly unique new first person game that blends so many genres.

Kind of sickening.

Who is?

Top Bottom