• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any PC franchises that console players would like to see on their platform?

DigiManiac

Neo Member
Can't be played without k/m and I don't see k/m becoming mainstream on consoles anytime soon. On the flip side, the only console game I want on PC is GTA 5. Really hope I don't have to eventually play the game on PS3. I don't even care about RDR; game was OK but riding horses has nothing on vehicles.
Didn't they say the same thing about Diablo III ??? lol the console version turned out better than PC... As for RDR, OK ?? lol

Psoelberg

The only pc games I really would like to play is Day Z and Star Citizen, and I've rumores that both could come to ps4 and xbox one.

akira28

I like that Shadowrun is on Android. That's cool. MechWarrior Online, they should bite the bullet and go on to console and try to become an awesome cross-network game instead of crap.

The reason this is a tired argument is:

- PC GPUs have HDMI outputs
- There are plenty of PC games with controller support
- Steam BPM is controller enabled

Most of my PC gaming is done on my Nvidia Shield while I lie on the couch. I hardly ever need to touch a keyboard or mouse. Also a programmer.

We're talking about PC franchises/exclusives here though. Lots if not most of PC exclusives don't have controller support. And then there is the font problems, most PC exclusives are designed for playing from no more than 3-4 feet view distance. I tried Tera ( has native controller support) on TV the other and I couldn't read shit at all.

A console only player probably wouldn't know the majority of the games they would like to play, just because they are not informed about those things, so you'll get responses about the more visible or recent internet era stuff.

SparkTR

DayZ is the only one I can think of, but that's still being worked on and is coming to consoles after the PC version is finished.

Unfortunately as someone who is saving for a PC build I'm finding out that the platform has nothing exclusive that I'd care to play. It's making me reconsider going for the X1 instead since that platform already has exclusives I want to play, and will probably be getting a shit ton more at E3.
For me I think gaining access to more great games trumps gaining better performing games I already have access to.

You have to stop thinking of a PC as a third console, and instead of it's own platform with it's own priorities. I originally bought a PC back in 2008 primarily for the better visuals, the unique differences of the platform is what keeps me from going back to primarily console, the multiplats are barely a blip on the radar. It's not really like anything else out out there, when in Rome etc.

AngryMoth

Most things that spring to mind wouldn't translate well to consoles although I would like to see games like DayZ to come over

impact

Banned
DayZ is the only one I can think of, but that's still being worked on and is coming to consoles after the PC version is finished.

Unfortunately as someone who is saving for a PC build I'm finding out that the platform has nothing exclusive that I'd care to play. It's making me reconsider going for the X1 instead since that platform already has exclusives I want to play, and will probably be getting a shit ton more at E3.
For me I think gaining access to more great games trumps gaining better performing games I already have access to.

PC is the best gaming platform even though it has extremely uninteresting exclusives. It's not even a contest.

We're talking about PC franchises/exclusives here though. Lots if not most of PC exclusives don't have controller support. And then there is the font problems, most PC exclusives are designed for playing from no more than 3-4 feet view distance. I tried Tera ( has native controller support) on TV the other and I couldn't read shit at all.

Well obviously, but that argument was tangential and initiated by this post:

Sim City. I can play it on PC but don't like mouse and keyboard controls.

Which, honestly, I don't take issue with at all. Preferences are preferences, I would always prefer to play keyboard/mouse FPS over controller if my circumstances allowed it. My only issue is framing the near total avoidance of an entire platform as an inevitable result of their occupation, especially given that it's based on a variety of misconceptions about it.

I don't know why you would even say that unless you want to rile people.

Eh, who cares?

I know the mods can get a little wary of these types of threads because nobody likes to have their tastes questioned but I'm a PC gamer with extremely specific tastes - I can accept that console gamers find my taste in video games baffling and bland. What PS4 owner is looking at FTL or the next Civilization game and is wetting their pants in jealousy (aside from the ones who already own PC's of course).

I find Nintendo games childish and am not affected by their attempts to appeal to my nostalgia. I think most modern AAA games are more akin to interactive movies than video games and I'm cheering for Microsoft to leave the console industry because I think as a company, the video game side holds them back. <--- Last time I said something like this I was temp banned.

This thread is just about wanting to see if console players are interested in any PC games being consolized. I think the answer so far has been "Not until they are consolized." Not to patronize console gamers but for the most part, I think your collective ignorance of PC gaming closes a lot of you guys off to a huge potential goldmine of IP's and you guys often don't realize it until somebody brings a PC franchise to the home console - ala Bethesda with the Fallout series or Activision with the Call of Duty series.

For me, it would be great if a real Civilization was on the PS4. Sims too, but the console version might already be just like the PC versions sans mods.

I already have those two on Windows, but I'd much rather play them on my PS4 than on my notebook that's not built for gaming.

MogCakes

no, PC only has tens of thousands of titles. we're only this far into the generation and we've already got infamous, titanfall and kirby's adventure. i can't think of a single PC franchise which would enrich console platforms.

I'd rather see all-new IPs and not simply ports/sequels.

This thread is just about wanting to see if console players are interested in any PC games being consolized. I think the answer so far has been "Not until they are consolized." Not to patronize console gamers but for the most part, I think your collective ignorance of PC gaming closes a lot of you guys off to a huge potential goldmine of IP's and you guys often don't realize it until somebody brings a PC franchise to the home console - ala Bethesda with the Fallout series or Activision with the Call of Duty series.

Are there people here saying PC games have to be 'consolized'? I haven't read the entire thread beyond the first page so I wouldn't know, but you should really quote and specify who you're talking to with a statement like that than make a blanket claim that console gamers are just too ignorant to bother with. That's just as wide and sweeping a generalization as saying all PC gamers are elitists or some similar insult.

impact

Banned

Because that guy wants to build a PC but is worried about the lack of appealing exclusives to him? PC is the greatest platform and I don't even give a crap about strategys, MOBAs or MMOs. If people get upset over that then they should grow the fuck up.

I want a portable X-Com.

I REALLY WANT A PORTABLE X-COM.

Also, a new portable Civ would be nice. Maybe something a little meatier than Civ Rev, but Civ Rev 2 would be fine if that's asking too much.

Renekton

By 'exclusives' he probably means the hardware-movers like Mario, Halo and Uncharted.

Come to think of it, PC has plenty as well. Like Dota 2, I have been helping friends pick up rigs to play it.

The fact is that if you're a console only gamer and answer to this question "nothing" then either:

b) you just don't know what's available.
Just went through 6 pages of game names and was surprised nothing caught my interest. So I guess my answer is no. Not saying they are bad games but busy enough with what I'm getting on consoles.

Karak

SHODAN_hires.jpg

System Shock :D

Yup. I would simply stroke out if they announced a remake of SS2.

Atomski

`All the no answers make it painfully obvious how much people are completely oblivious to the gems on PC.

Depressing stuff..

`All the no answers make it painfully obvious how much people are completely oblivious to the gems on PC.

Depressing stuff..

Don't be sad little pug. Despite the fact that EviLore is a devout PC gamer, and almost every mod games on PC, this is still a console-centric forum. It's not representative of gaming as a whole, if anything it's a place where an increasingly niche demographic takes solice in disappearing up one another's anuses.

Who,and more importantly 'Why', would anyone build a pc of about the similar power as PS4????????????
Is it really hard to think why and who would do that? If you have a budget then you go by that budget. Seriously, you don't have to build a rig that costs 2 grants to be an enthusiastic PC gamer. And actually it's really not that common to have a super expensive PC.

Even a cheap PC can play hundreds or even thousands of games (both from the past and present), including some of the biggest names like Dota 2 at the moment.

I think it's really weird when some people have this notion "what's the point of building a PC if you don't go all out on it?". I really don't think many PC gamers think in that way at all. There are so many great things about PC. It's not just about the power.

SparkTR

Just went through 6 pages of game names and was surprised nothing caught my interest. So I guess my answer is no. Not saying they are bad games but busy enough with what I'm getting on consoles.

It's 6 pages of games from a demographic who knows barely anything about PC gaming, not the greatest sample. I mean nobody here mentioned Divinity once, and that's likely the most promising wRPG of 2014. Sure if you're already content that's fine, but looking for that kind of stuff here would be like looking for info on Xbox games at RPG Codex.

Sentenza

Gaming on pc in "relaxed" way is not as easy as you describe it.

The thing is about more relaxed environment as a whole, not sum of those small parts you mentioned.

Console gaming in your favourite room for that, on a comfortable chair, couch or whatever you like IS something different than gaming on typical pc setup for most users.
I have genuinely no idea of what you're talking about.
Your "typical gaming setup", be it for a console or a PC, doesn't happen to be comfortable or uncomfortable by chance.
It's always as comfortable as you make it.

To me it's very easy to be relaxed when I play on my PC. I have a reasonably large desk and a sweet armchair. That's pretty much all I need.

It isn't so much the desk or monitor that I have an issue. It is using a keyboard an mouse for 10 hours and then going home and doing more of the same. Not to say a couch isn't much more comfortable than a desk chair.

If I am forced to, I will play games on the PC. I will be forced to play H1Z1 on PC before it comes to PS4 for instance.

Here is a link that may help you understand a little more: http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~cscott/rsi.html
I know man. I mean when I come home and game on my PC I sit in my recliner and I have to use my mouse for 3 whole seconds to wake up my PC and click the Dark Souls 2 shortcut, before I can pick up my 360 controller to never touch the mouse again. Hardly seems worth it to play the game at 1080p/60fps vs the PS3 version which is sub HD and 30fps or less.

Dire

no, PC only has tens of thousands of titles. we're only this far into the generation and we've already got infamous, titanfall and kirby's adventure. i can't think of a single PC franchise which would enrich console platforms.

Speaking from experience, that sums it up amazingly well.

I'm thankful this generation of consoles started off so terribly. Out of a mix of boredom and curiosity I decided to delve back into PC gaming and it's unbelievable what I've missed out on. I got sick of PC gaming around the era of "same shitty game but better graphics that require a $500 video card to run on medium AKA Doom 3" or "Hey we're going to totally fuck over your computer because you might be a pirate. Of course if you are a pirate all of this will be completely bypassed on day 0" aka StarForce and other similar DRM software that had Morrowind end up breaking my PC's disc drive. Not to mention Steam was little more than this annoying thing I had to connect to for CounterStrike authentication and eventually match making.

Until about 6 months ago I'd never heard of (or knew nothing about) Paradox Interactive, Crusader Kings, King's Bounty, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Distant Worlds. I don't think their obscurity is going to be something unique to me if you were to survey console gamers. Not that those are the top 6 games of the past decade or anything, but 6 games I've semi-randomly ended up picking up for the PC. And not only that, but those games alone have already far surpassed the past decade of console gaming for me. Kind of reminds me in a way of that Harriet Tubman quote - I freed a thousand slaves but I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves. Yeah probably a bit hyperbolic but gotta say I personally feel emancipated... emaciated too come to think of it - damn CK2.

In a nutshell I doubt most console gamers have any idea what they want because PC games spend next to nothing on marketing relative to the 9 figure marketing budget we get for every lackluster and generic "The Next Big Thing" console title. The absolute zeal of dedicated PC gamers also makes it difficult to take their opinions seriously since it seems seemed more like a fanboy type thing rather than an objective appraisal of the pros and cons of one gaming platform vs the other.

GamerJM

Banned
I have a PC now and don't worry about games not coming to consoles, but back when I was console/handheld-only I wanted:

-Japanese Doujin games and Visual Novels
-Valve games like TF2 and L4D2 with all of the updates the PC versions get
-Some way to play Stepmania, Osu!, and other rhythm game clones on console (or handheld in the case of Osu!) through homebrew.

Dire

It isn't so much the desk or monitor that I have an issue. It is using a keyboard an mouse for 10 hours and then going home and doing more of the same. Not to say a couch isn't much more comfortable than a desk chair.

If I am forced to, I will play games on the PC. I will be forced to play H1Z1 on PC before it comes to PS4 for instance.

Here is a link that may help you understand a little more: http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~cscott/rsi.html

I had the same issue well sans the RSI concerns. I just like having a bit more of a disparity between work and play.

My solution was to drag an HDMI/USB hub from the office to the living room and setup a controller hotkey to load up Steam Big Picture when I don't want to touch a kb/mouse at all. Only issue was I had to daisy chain the USB hubs using a couple of USB hubs (which conveniently also work as signal repeaters) in the middle since apparently USB doesn't deal so well with 15+ meters.. at least not the cheap ass cables I use. It's also for this exact reason that I'll be picking up a Steam Box. It's being designed for this exact scenario.

Quasar

Shadowrun Returns on console would be nice.

A lot that I care about on PC though are m/kb focused and I'm not convinced they could be done well without dumbing down with a controller.

Though I guess more PC adventure games.

Corpekata

Banned
Why the mouse, exactly?

Because games like Civ are heavily UI centric and focused on being able to do what you want accurately and quickly. Managing a late game empire with a controller would likely take a lot of extra time compared to a mouse.

If you want to take it for a spin, try something like Xpadder and say, map right analog stick to mouse movement, and time how much longer it takes you to do stuff. Let's limit hotkeys to say, "end turn" and "next action." There's a reason why the game even on PC has innate touch based controls too, and not controller support. Touch is not exactly ideal but still a far better method than a controller for that type of game. I mean there's a reason why so many of the hotkeys are displayed in the game's screen, because they know a large majority of their playerbase barely uses the hotkeys. There are some pretty in depth gamepad profiles out there already, just from a quick search, but even the creators of them tend to have reservations about it.

Of course, that's not to say a dev couldn't work around some of this stuff. Contextual menus mapped to the buttons would speed things up. But overall without cutting things out, most actions would take a lot longer with a pad. Though, again I agree it could be done, I just don't think we'd ever see a company do it in fear of people finding it cumbersome (because it would be) especially in the later stages of the game. Or they'd just neuter it completely.

Dire

I have a PC now and don't worry about games not coming to consoles, but back when I was console/handheld-only I wanted:

-Japanese Doujin games and Visual Novels
-Valve games like TF2 and L4D2 with all of the updates the PC versions get
-Some way to play Stepmania, Osu!, and other rhythm game clones on console (or handheld in the case of Osu!) through homebrew.

Not just Valve games. Payday 2 immediately came to mind when reading your post. It's a fun game on the 360 yet I felt somehow cheated when I saw all the completely free updates that the PC received that the 360 has not and likely never will receive due to obtuse update requirements and red tape on consoles. Speaking of updates yeah I suppose that's another thing you don't really realize when you're playing on consoles where you get used to being expected to pay ever more money for every single update that includes anything more than bug fixes.

It's kind of funny thinking about how much companies try to get console players to pay for such minimal content after I just paid $50 for Crusader Kings 2 + all extra content and naturally the seemingly nonstop free game updates.

Top Bottom