• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: PC, console growth to lag pre-pandemic levels as gamers clock in fewer hours, report says

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
first of all, that sounds horrible, secondly, its not about playing games in a short burst, work burnout/stress from work will stop you from doing that for most people.
It’s also from a different perspective. I know people who can’t relax while playing a game. I learned to sit back or lay sideways on a couch with a controller over my head duking it out in a souls or fighting game.

DaGwaphics

first of all, that sounds horrible, secondly, its not about playing games in a short burst, work burnout/stress from work will stop you from doing that for most people.

IDK, I play games as a method of escapism/stress relief. Maybe players that find games stressful are playing the wrong genres for them or have the difficulty too high, etc.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
There's is also a life out there and its nice to see people getting back to normal and going out, to just staying in the house. Hopefully, soon those lazy work from home lot will be forced back to the office soon
And life can get back to normal and the way it was.
Oh shit now you will attract the "actually home office is proved to be more effective and better for business and almost no big company has ever thought of that pre-pandemic because, you know, reasons" crowd.

Krathoon

One thing that really sticks in my craw about the pandemic is how people rushed the stores when it first started.

That really pissed me off. That was very shitty.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Xbox is doing fucking nothing for years .. and Sony is launching dud sequel after dud sequel that sells based on previous games laurels and brand recognition.

So yeah no shit gamers are playing less ... AAA western games are turning to shit. Just like movies did.

And everybody knows why... even the ones that pretend they dont.
Helldivers 2: "am I a joke to you?"

Most game releases have become Marvel sequels. Too safe, boring, retold stories/ideas we see way too often. The AAA industry has become too big for innovation in any meaningful way and it's stagnating. We'll get the occasional outliers like Baldur's Gate 3 or Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom; years and years between releases, but not much else. This is a portent of what the industry has been doing for 10+ years now and it's finally hitting these publishers where it hurts.

The sad truth is that just churching up the same games a hundred different times isn't gonna do it for the vast majority of people anymore, so if they want people's attention, they need to earn it.

AA Indie is about the only place real innovation can grow from at this point as the risk is too high in the AAA space.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe with so many people trending to gaas, maybe a lot of gamers play less overall time but focus on one or two games.

So let’s say they used to play 15 hours a week across many games. Maybe now they play Fortnite for 12 hours and just say fuck it. I’m not going to play other stuff for 3 more hours.

violence

Gamers are getting older with jobs. You have to replenish the market with younger people. Is Nintendo not doing this anymore?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Once a year a game comes out that I think is good, actually worth paying for and I end up playing consistently

One game a year. thats where the industry is for me a former hardcore gamer who used to play damn near everything

I remember in 1998 I would have bought two to four games a week if I could, renting and trading games with friends nonstop

Now the industry could completely crash and I'm not sure I'd even notice a difference

Oh shit now you will attract the "actually home office is proved to be more effective and better for business and almost no big company has ever thought of that pre-pandemic because, you know, reasons" crowd.
Make them go back to the office. Trying to get in contact with any dept over the phone these days, is next to impossible thanks to 'We're currently experiencing a high level of calls' message . When what it actually means, is the rep is making a cupper and watching the TV 😂.

The game industry needs to back to the office and pump the games out too.

Last edited:
I just put 90 hours in Rebirth, then immediately put 80 hours into Dragons Dogma, and I just fired up Ronin last night, with Stellar Blade on Pre-Order. And random matches of Helldivers peppered all in between.

I'll hold the line.
I'm 35 and i wish i could do as much as you all do.

After working 8 hours a day (from 9am to 6pm with 1 hour lunch break), going to the gym after that and MAYBE cooking dinner...i'm only done like at 10pm.

And i have no kids...imagine if i did lmao.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I thought on the video game forum, i was supposed to be talking to people who LIKE videogames. instead I got pesimissm central even after 2023 was one of the best years for gaming...

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'm part of the statistic for sure. I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I generally do still fire something up everyday. Typically just short sessions now though.

Most game releases have become Marvel sequels. Too safe, boring, retold stories/ideas we see way too often. The AAA industry has become too big for innovation in any meaningful way and it's stagnating. We'll get the occasional outliers like Baldur's Gate 3 or Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom; years and years between releases, but not much else. This is a portent of what the industry has been doing for 10+ years now and it's finally hitting these publishers where it hurts.

The sad truth is that just churching up the same games a hundred different times isn't gonna do it for the vast majority of people anymore, so if they want people's attention, they need to earn it.

AA Indie is about the only place real innovation can grow from at this point as the risk is too high in the AAA space.

Maybe with so many people trending to gaas, maybe a lot of gamers play less overall time but focus on one or two games.

So let’s say they used to play 15 hours a week across many games. Maybe now they play Fortnite for 12 hours and just say fuck it. I’m not going to play other stuff for 3 more hours.

I remember a video from the start of the PS360 era that was joking about what the sequels were going to do to us eventually. That R* image that goes around showing the games they've released each generation really tells the tale. I think the GaaS industry plays a big part as well. So many primarily play those because their friends do, but I don't think they draw you in nearly as much as a good single player or story driven co-op game (not so much in regards to hours spent on the game, but the payoff for the experience itself). And then there is mobile, LOL. I don't think the next generation of gamers will put nearly as much time in because they've mainly experienced/played very shallow games.

Last edited:
Big case of rose tinted glasses ITT. There are more "good games" now than ever imo, thanks to the frequency and volume of great indie games (which some say "don't count" for some ridiculous reason).

The previous two generation's first years were terrible, this gen was pretty damn good by comparison.

Big case of rose tinted glasses ITT. There are more "good games" now than ever imo, thanks to the frequency and volume of great indie games (which some say "don't count" for some ridiculous reason).

The previous two generation's first years were terrible, this gen was pretty damn good by comparison.

This is just needlessly dismissive.

There's nothing ridiculous about people not finding indie games as appealing to their specific gaming tastes as AAA games.

People like different things. Step out of your own personal bubble and it will be much clearer to you.

Top Bottom