• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite playtime on consoles last month topped Call of Duty, EA Sports FC, GTA 5 and Roblox combined

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's like playing a card game with a full set of cards vs. an incomplete deck. It's like giving people some bongos vs giving people a 42 piece orchestra.

You can just experience so much more with the added complexity. It resembles the fullness of life more than just about any other game in existence.
Ehh. I prefer my enemies not trying to hide themselves and take their killing like a man. The crafting always seemed like a bitch move, imo.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Impossible! This fad of a game died 5 years ago.

zJ8rokj.png

DaGwaphics

Not something I play, though I have tried a few times. Good for them to figure out how to keep the ball rolling, the players are obviously entertained by it.

The only thing I dislike about games like these is they absorb so much game time for a lot of players that it can negatively impact performance of the single player oriented stuff that I like more. But, that's life when you don't have "cool" tastes. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

At least quite a few story driven games did well this year.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Not something I play, though I have tried a few times. Good for them to figure out how to keep the ball rolling, the players are obviously entertained by it.

The only thing I dislike about games like these is they absorb so much game time for a lot of players that it can negatively impact performance of the single player oriented stuff that I like more. But, that's life when you don't have "cool" tastes. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

At least quite a few story driven games did well this year.
I’m the opposite. I use Fortnite as a break from the single player stuff and talk it up with my bro. We play maybe 4-5 times together in a month.

DaGwaphics

I’m the opposite. I use Fortnite as a break from the single player stuff and talk it up with my bro. We play maybe 4-5 times together in a month.

Yeah, I see people say that a lot too. Where they use these type of games more for "parties" and that kind of thing.

It's the really competitive players that sink so much time into CoD or Fortnite, I guess because they don't want to take too much time off since that might cause them to fall behind the skill level curve. But, Epic is giving those players what they want (and ABK in the case of CoD), so you can't knock it. I really shouldn't talk though, as I guess Madden serves as my in between game, I always end up putting quite a few hours in there.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Funny thing about emotes, the fact that you can use them in the Rock Band mode has been some great comedy. During those lengthy segments when a player has no notes to play, they let you go ham. It’s hard to stay focused trying to 100% a song when the camera suddenly centers on another player using the Goku skin as he initiates the power up emote and goes super saiyan on stage.
I didnt even think to do that lol, the last time i had a moment of respite i was just spamming the llama bell emote to *pretend* i was doing something

It's played by everyone, I find 40 years old with their kids screaming often but mostly college students or 20-30 years old
I would argue that its played by all but vast majority is kids.

I know someone who works with kids and they just wanna play Fortnite all the time. That or maybe Fifa to a lesser extent. You could talk about say how Resident Evil 4 is a great game they have no interest tho.

Insane. Absolutely insane. Growing up sure you'd have big games like Mario that everyone seemingly played but there was not just one game an entire generation played and for years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Weren’t there tools available for people to make their own creations in Nanite? I seem to remember some other shooter being shown off.

And then Epic killed it by removing the OG mode, and filling this season with nonsense and a lack of meaningful content in the new modes, online numbers have dropped dramatically from the second week of the Lego Fortnite launch.

Boralf

GIF by Sky

That it is a good game?
Or is it bad because its stealing your time?
Or does it mean it has alot of FOMO?

Generic

And then Epic killed it by removing the OG mode, and filling this season with nonsense and a lack of meaningful content in the new modes, online numbers have dropped dramatically from the second week of the Lego Fortnite launch.
So many new content to play and people only cares about nostalgia.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Fortnite is awesome. As someone in their mid-thirties my buddies and I still get together every Saturday and play. Now with the new additions it gives more stuff to do. We have been having a blast building legos in fortnite. Also, the sports mode should be a big hit as well.

MiguelItUp

Not surprising at all IMO, especially with how much it has evolved since its existence. It's the only F2P game I've played that has genuinely impressed me with the amount of content and new content it has. Map changes, new modes, new weapons, new games, etc. The time in which it's all updated is pretty impressive too as it feels pretty frequent.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The “people who enjoy other games than I do are dumb dumbs” is pretty funny
I agree with this…and I also agree with it being okay if people think a game is bad because those people don’t enjoy the game at all. Video game forums wouldn’t exist without disagreements in opinions 😉

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I agree with this…and I also agree with it being okay if people think a game is bad because those people don’t enjoy the game at all. Video game forums wouldn’t exist without disagreements in opinions 😉
Agreed there are a lot of games I don't enjoy but it doesn't make me sad if you enjoy them

I am just happy to hang out with gamers and talk about a topic we all love

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Agreed there are a lot of games I don't enjoy but it doesn't make me sad if you enjoy them

I am just happy to hang out with gamers and talk about a topic we all love
I’m not legitimately sad about it, that was sarcasm. Sometimes it makes me sad I don’t enjoy it because my cousins play it pretty heavily. I will never actually really be sad that people enjoy something I don’t based on what the game is. Most of the time when I say something really serious on Gaf I’m being sarcastic just to spark debate. I think it’s healthy for the site (to an extent lol), and for gaming.

Last edited:
So many new content to play and people only cares about nostalgia.

I think it's more to do with the fact that the new modes just don't have enough content, they should have staggered the release of them more, Lego Fortnite needed some dedicated love and attention post launch.

darrylgorn

I will admit i am part of the problem because emoting on kids, while playing as GODDAMN CELL FROM DRAGON BALL Z is the funniest thing ive ever done in a competitive shooter.

Also buildingless mode is the best way to experience the game without having to deal with the sweatiest of sweats

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I guess talk of the GAAS bubble bursting are premature.
This is the GaaS bubble bursting. GaaS isn't going anywhere the bubble is the gold rush of every dev and publisher trying to get their piece of the pie and it bursts when they give up because there aren't any slices left.

Renoir

The lego mode alone is a draw. Started playing this with the kids this christmas, never stopped, and your progress transfer over to PC from switch. The convience and QoL is up there.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is the GaaS bubble bursting. GaaS isn't going anywhere the bubble is the gold rush of every dev and publisher trying to get their piece of the pie and it bursts when they give up because there aren't any slices left.

Did the bubble burst after or before The Finals and Lethal Company lit up the charts?

Y'all keep sliding that goalpost.

MonkD

GAAS isn't going anywhere. But we'll probably lose a fair amount studios that are trend chasing. In the end it will come down to management. If a game is good, and engages users without overextending their budgets they can last forever. Don't have to look any further than World of Warcraft and their 3rd classic rerelease.

But it's also interesting to see how both Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad has tried to pivot back to more traditional co-op games before their release. Would love to know exactly what went on with their games. But I'm assuming that Warner Bros are the culprits, based on reports around their movies and such.

Famipan

I recommend COD Mobile if you long for short arcade style death match shooters or BR without building.

You can cast the game to a TV and play with controller too if you have a good phone, preferably though it’s probably best to have a second (burner) phone dedicated to it since it basically melts the phone from heat.

I messed up my vision from playing too much mobile so it’s better to play on TV.

Last edited:
I play it with my kids some times its actually a pretty decent game nowerdays I used to hate it.
New guitar hero mode is quite fun and the lego fortinite node looks to be a better minecraft.
New season battle royal plays pretty well too, i much prefer it to the OG map that was the previous season. I hated fortnite when it first came out so OG season definitely not for me.

mdkirby

I had the displeasure of playing this once at a friends kids birthday party at games gaming cafe. It was one of the worst games I’ve ever played 🤷‍♂️…I reallllly don’t “get it”. It looked terrible (tho the new next gen updates it looks pretty snazzy now) and played terribly. Maybe I’m just too old.

Duchess

Maybe I’m just too old.
Hey, you and me both! I see a game like that, play it for about an hour, conclude I've seen everything it has to offer, and return to single player titles.

I ... just don't get it? How do some sink 100s upon 100s of hours into these types of games? I imagine it's just because everyone is wired differently?

DaGwaphics

Yeah, I don't think the existing monsters are dying anytime soon. I also think there will be more big hits to rise as well, as long as people are playing these things, the fate of the genre is safe.

I do think we'll see a bit of a slowdown in development of these titles though. I think the period of every developer seemingly making GaaS their focus might be coming to a close with the string of high-profile failures we've seen.

AGRacing

Hey, you and me both! I see a game like that, play it for about an hour, conclude I've seen everything it has to offer, and return to single player titles.

I ... just don't get it? How do some sink 100s upon 100s of hours into these types of games? I imagine it's just because everyone is wired differently?
Im 43. You haven't seen a fraction of what Fortnite offers in an hour. Its true everyone is wired differently but that is an objective fact.

Game deserves a lot of credit for mixing things up… adding a little exploration and discovery. Some of the timed events were incredible.

I gave the game a chance really early because it was a battle royale game smart people could win once in a while as well as talented people and everybody in between. Stayed because its just a refined well done game.

mdkirby

Yah possibly...Ive never been that big on online gaming, Ive also seen it ruin lives even back in its early days.

I remember a mate in uni, when eve launched he said 'if I play this, my degree is over'. They did a free 2 weeks at some point, and he started playing, and never stopped, and failed his degree.
Another friend (and then first business partner) did a gap year work placement at a games studio in the early days of WOW, the CEO bought it, and loved it, but had no-one to play it with, so he bought it for all his staff for their work computers (about 15 people). They started playing after work for a few hours....then many hours, then people would play late into the night and show up tired. Then they'd start playing from 4pm instead of 5, then also at lunch, then those times expanded, until by the end most people were being paid to show up every day and do nothing but play WOW all day and night...then they went bankrupt:messenger_tears_of_joy:. Was pretty nuts.

Personally, I mostly play games for a good story, then never touch them again. It's pretty crazy tho, that even now in 2023 so many people (including GenZ staff) think games is mostly teenagers yelling at and shooting each other online.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Fortnite’s success is expected, the full sized maps, an addition to the creativity and gunplay.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I mean.... it's the perfect kids game.

If i were 12 years old i would have a blast with Fortnite.
My wife, daughter, and son all play. It’s the ultimate casual game. Now with the Lego stuff it’s opened it up to even a younger audience. The game constantly reinvents itself while staying true to its core.

GaaS like this on the regular would’ve been welcomed by gamers, but most attempt 1/100th of what a game like Fortnite has set out to do and thus fails.

I’m not a big fan anymore but this game gets all the respect from me. Kids deserve better games like we had growing up, and at least they have this and Minecraft as their beacons.

Top Bottom