• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/12 - 5/18

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Pachael said:
On the flip side, he's got a point - I've been surprised by the lack of colored Wiis. Then again Nintendo have enough trouble with supply...

The day Nintendo announces new colors for the Wii, is the day the Wii stops having supply problems.

Remember that multiple Wii colors were announced before the Wii was released.
wii-console-colors.jpg

luxe7

Neo Member
Kiriku said:
Didn't they have different colors released though? And I even remember a weird-looking Pokemon-branded N64 being released.

XD i talk about GC major redesigns , like a gamecube lite or something like that, like the psp now have with the psp slim with more flash rom, dimensions and weight changes, better batery, video output, etc.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
luxe7 said:
XD i talk about GC major redesigns , like a gamecube lite or something like that, like the psp now have with the psp slim with more flash rom, dimensions and weight changes, better batery, video output, etc.
Funny thing is that last E3, everyone and their mom was convinced that the PSP 2k is not worth being called a redesign because there weren't enough changes.

Not much interest in 14-year-old RPG series revival, is there? I forgot to check, busy playing FFXII RW (I like what I'm seeing :eek:).

First day numbers

NDS Pro Yakyuu Team o Tsukurou! - 35.000
NDS Hercules no Eikou: Tamashii no Shoumei - 12.000 (30% sell through)
NDS Hiiro no Kakera DS - 8.000 (50% sell through)
360 Orange Box - 6.000
PS3 Motorstorm Complete - 1.500
360 Strangehold - 1.500
WII Guitar Hero 3 - bomb

[Nintex]

manueldelalas said:
The day Nintendo announces new colors for the Wii, is the day the Wii stops having supply problems.

wii-console-colors.jpg
They should make a new factory for each color and quadruple their supply. Their sales would explode.

Captain Smoker said:
Whats "bomb" in numbers? :p

<500?
Depends on the game. If No More Heroes had sold 100K, that would have been an amazing success. If Super Mario Galaxy had sold 100K, that would have been an amazing bomb.

EDIT: Oh, duh, directly questioning the use of "bomb" mere posts earlier, not bombing in general. >_<

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Captain Smoker said:
Whats "bomb" in numbers? :p

<500?

Sinobi generally lists certain games as "released but did not move a statistically significant number of games" to mean <500. He has listed "500" before (Shikigami 3 Wii debut), but I don't think I've ever seen him list any numbers lower than that.

Sinobi also lists Heracles as doing ok based on the lack of advertising, and expects a decent boost from first day to first week.

Innotech said:
Im not downplaying a damned thing. I just said that the system selling like it is for a few months is not unprecedented nor is it unbelievable.

And in that, you are mistaken: there is no other real example of a system that had previously underperformed to that degree, and been so severely beaten by its competition, suddenly rocketing upwards in performance and sticking this way -- certainly not in Japan.

The PSP is in a pretty unique position, of course, because it probably has a greater number of entirely distinct uses than any other gaming system -- its capabilities as a media player, plus all the things you can do with it when it's running CFW, provide a wide number of reasons to buy a PSP even without thinking about playing physical PSP software (legally or illegally.)

There's also just the fact that handhelds traditionally benefit far more than consoles from redesigns (since they actually affect their utility directly) but almost no one has ever been in a position to meaningfully compete against Nintendo's handhelds before PSP and therefore actually enjoy the benefits of such a redesign....

jarrod

Banned
Pre-DS, handhelds also had notoriously lower software sales and attach rates than consoles... I sort of wonder how PSP compares to GBA at a similar point in it's cycle?

EDarkness

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Not much interest in 14-year-old RPG series revival, is there? I forgot to check, busy playing FFXII RW (I like what I'm seeing :eek:).

First day numbers

360 Orange Box - 6.000
360 Strangehold - 1.500
WII Guitar Hero 3 - bomb

Just for reference, I went to Bic Camera today to see if I could get an extra guitar, and no where did I see Guitar Hero for the Wii on the floor. It was behind the counter and there were two boxes. With no advertising and not even a display box for someone to look at on the floor, it shouldn't surprise anyone that this game is gonna bomb.

Kenka

27./31. [NDS] Phoenix Wright: Gyakuten Revival (Capcom)
28./22. [NDS] Emblem of Gundam (Bandai-Namco)
29./00. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
30./24. [NDS] Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi wo Yobu Cinema Land (Banpresto)
31./33. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
32./41. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 3 (Capcom)
33./00. [NDS] Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (Level 5)
34./30. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
35./18. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
36./42. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 4 (Capcom)
37./20. [NDS] Naruto: Shippuuden Shinobi Retsuden II (Takara-Tomy)
38./21. [NDS] Yatterman DS: Surprising, Startling Battle (Takara-Tomy)
39./34. [NDS] Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends (Marvelous Entertainment)
40./46. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 2 (Capcom)
41./39. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
42./36. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokémon)
43./00. [NDS] DS Bookkeeping, Level 3 (Square-Enix)
44./49. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
45./29. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)
46./26. [NDS] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo)

eq2dqs.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
manueldelalas said:

wii-console-colors.jpg

Really? Or is it maybe because all your DLC and save files couldnt be played on the new Wii cause of stupid design choices?

Vinci

Danish
HK-47 said:
It means colors wont have a big impact on sales.

Considering that the console is built for family-play? Yeah, I think only one is really needed for the household. I think it would 'cause a momentary bump but I don't think it would impact anything in any significant way. Not simply for the reason you listed, but just from the inherent difference between a console and handheld.

Jokeropia

RpgN said:
If the psp was the leader and ds started to sell better, would the psp also have been ''saturated''?
It depends on how much it would've sold. DS is already in unknown territory here, having the largest installed base of any videogame system in history and still selling pretty much like PS2 did in it's best years.

Vinci

Danish
Jokeropia said:
It depends on how much it would've sold. DS is already in unknown territory here, having the largest installed base of any videogame system in history and still selling pretty much like PS2 did in it's best years.

This is the part that's just mind boggling.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

First day numbers

360 Orange Box - 6.000
360 Strangehold - 1.500
WII Guitar Hero 3 - bomb

Crap...

Jokeropia

Guitar Hero is just not a big franchise in Japan. Neither GH or GHII was ever released and GHIII sold like crap on three systems. It's big enough in the rest of the world to make up for it, though.

I've got a couple questions that maybe someone can help shed some light on.

1. People attribute the rise of the PSP's fortunes to the redesign and Monster Hunter. While I certainly understand the lift from Monster Hunter, I really don't get why the redesign gets so much credit. Yes, sales always spike when a new revision or color is released, but this redesign was, IMO, extremely minor and not terribly exciting. It seems to me that, in this case, MH should be getting most if not all the credit for the PSP's continued success over the past couple months. If they had not redesigned the system, but still put out the new colors, and launched MHP2G and FF7 CC, would we not still be seeing similar sales at this point? Was that relatively small size and weight reduction really such a large trigger? I'm asking from a consumer's point of view, not the numbers, since we all know they spiked. It's the WHY I am interested in.

2. The PS3 plan from Sony and the analysts is that they will turn things around at some point and the PS3 will be a success in Japan. This will happen as a result of some breakout software and future price-cutting, and possibly a redesign. Basically a mirror of the PSP situation. Since this is going to take a while to happen, the generation will have to be a longer one. Is this a realistic expectation at this point? Is there any real credible evidence at this point that the PS3 has pent-up demand from Japanese consumers who are waiting for said titles or a certain price point? By the time this happens, what will the Japanese 3rd party situation be like on the PS3? Will they keep making games for the platform looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, or will they stay wary, causing a "chicken-and-egg" scenario that endangers the PS3's "rise from your gwave" scenario?

jesusraz

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'll do beyond that. When making my first bunch of software groups Harvest Moon seemed an obvious choice, but some of the older games which I'd translated using Babelfish didn't have the Harvest Moon name and I figured it'd be tricky to find them. However, it just struck me that I should search using the Japanese name instead. So

Harvest Moon group.

It's a bit cluttered with so many titles, but the successful ones (read: DS ones) stick out. Looks like this year's game (black line) is doing noticeably worse than last year's game (red line), but also noticeably better than every other Harvest Moon game; not counting the SNES/PS1/GB/GBC entries which aren't included.

Fantastic, thanks a lot :) I reckon the new HM will no doubt become the 2nd biggest selling on DS so far, considering it's hanging around the charts for quite a while.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I've got a couple questions that maybe someone can help shed some light on.

1. People attribute the rise of the PSP's fortunes to the redesign and Monster Hunter. While I certainly understand the lift from Monster Hunter, I really don't get why the redesign gets so much credit. Yes, sales always spike when a new revision or color is released, but this redesign was, IMO, extremely minor and not terribly exciting. It seems to me that, in this case, MH should be getting most if not all the credit for the PSP's continued success over the past couple months. If they had not redesigned the system, but still put out the new colors, and launched MHP2G and FF7 CC, would we not still be seeing similar sales at this point? Was that relatively small size and weight reduction really such a large trigger? I'm asking from a consumer's point of view, not the numbers, since we all know they spiked. It's the WHY I am interested in.

Well, the redesign added a bunch of nongaming functionality, if I'm not wrong. It fits in with the PSP's image of being the non-gamer's system and all.

2. The PS3 plan from Sony and the analysts is that they will turn things around at some point and the PS3 will be a success in Japan. This will happen as a result of some breakout software and future price-cutting, and possibly a redesign. Basically a mirror of the PSP situation. Since this is going to take a while to happen, the generation will have to be a longer one. Is this a realistic expectation at this point? Is there any real credible evidence at this point that the PS3 has pent-up demand from Japanese consumers who are waiting for said titles or a certain price point? By the time this happens, what will the Japanese 3rd party situation be like on the PS3? Will they keep making games for the platform looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, or will they stay wary, causing a "chicken-and-egg" scenario that endangers the PS3's "rise from your gwave" scenario?

The only really realisitc scenario is the generation taking longer the most and even that's really in flux depending on how the bigwigs at Sony and Microsoft see it. Otherwise, even the PS3 sees a PSP-style surge in hardware, it's not 'turning things around'.

Is there any information on how the previous games in the Metal Gear Solid series have sold during their first week in Japan? I'm trying to figure out what the realistic Metal Gear Bump will be for PS3.

iidesuyo

PSP sales look really great, but one reason is that the DS has lost steam. As a comparison, one year ago:

1. NDS - 111,239
3. PSP - 27,505

Had the the DS continued this path, the PSP would still look very good, but "PSP doubles DS week after week" sounds a bit crazier, especially since the DS got a god-like status after the release of the Lite. In perspective the DS still did much better in its best times (but was also a bit cheaper).

I guess if anyone had predicted this weeks sales one year ago, he would have been laughed in the face by everyone. Some say now that the PSP success wasn't unusual or unpredicted, but that's not true. I still remember how a lot of people looking down last fall, predicting how the PSP was soon to be destroyed by the DS again.

/!\ Anecdotal evidence ahead /!\

As of 5/22, comgnet ranking has MGS4 at 470pt. The latest ranking before MGS3 hit had it at little over 800pt, comparing at the same time frame before the release, MGS4 is at 2/3 of MGS3. If you ask me, 300k opening is far too ambitious but we'll see...

Btw, MGS4 bundles situation is so out of hands...it has to be the game with the highest number of different bundles ever...

Code:
40GB Piano Black      MGS4     Sixaxis+Dual Shock 3     49980Y
40GB Ceramic White    MGS4     Sixaxis+Dual Shock 3     49980Y
40GB Satin Silver     MGS4     Sixaxis+Dual Shock 3     49980Y
40GB Gunmetal Grey    MGS4 LE  Dual Shock 3             51800Y

80GB Piano Black      MGS4     Dual Shock 3             499$
40GB Gunmetal Grey    MGS4 LE  Dual Shock 3             599$

40GB Piano Black      MGS4     Sixaxis                  439€
40GB Gunmetal Grey    MGS4 LE  ???                      ???
(I'm not sure I got the US/EU details right...but its 2 in both...)

jarrod

Banned
truth-lasers said:
Is there any information on how the previous games in the Metal Gear Solid series have sold during their first week in Japan? I'm trying to figure out what the realistic Metal Gear Bump will be for PS3.
Prediction time? I'll go in blind (as usual).

Notable console games for the next few weeks (1st week)...

MGS4 ~219k
Initial D ES ~19k

Gundam OT ~27k

FamiTrainer ~26k
Shiren 3 ~58k
Mario Stadium ~31k
Symphonia KOR ~97k

Battle Fantasia PS3 ~17k
Battle Fantasia 360 ~6k

DBZ Burst PS3 ~56k
DBZ Burst 360 ~11k

PS3 during MGS4 launch ~17k
Wii during TOSKOR launch ~43k

ccbfan

Pureauthor said:
Well, the redesign added a bunch of nongaming functionality, if I'm not wrong. It fits in with the PSP's image of being the non-gamer's system and all.

The slim added a load of gaming functionality too. Extend battery life, better screen, an infinitely better d-pad, ability to output games to the tv, faster processor and more memory are huge addictions to gaming.

The main problem with the PSP Slim improvement is that the physical design did not change at all causing people to think that it was a minor upgrade. Yet in terms of functionality it pretty much blows all other designs away except maybe for the GBA -> GBA:SP depending on how crappy you thought the original GBA visibility was. Hey you can't get more functional then going from not being able to see the screen to being able to see the screen.

ivysaur12

Banned
Linkzg said:
What the hell is Battalion Wars 2 doing up there? hopefully it won't be there next week. Dammit Japan, don't bulk buy every Wii game, especially no ones as boring as BWii.

BWii is awesome.

ccbfan said:
The slim added a load of gaming functionality too. Extend battery life, better screen, an infinitely better d-pad, ability to output games to the tv, faster processor and more memory are huge addictions to gaming.

I think you are overstating the real-life impact of the differences. The battery life is a little better, and the screen is a little better, but the Phat's screen was already great, and the extended batteries have been available for the phat for a long time. The d-pad and buttons are definitely better but it's not like the ones on the phat were bad, they worked perfectly fine. The extra memory results in slightly shorter load times, and I don't recall ever reading that the CPU is any faster.

Look, I'm not saying it wasn't improved. It surely was, but overall these are all pretty minor improvements to the "masses" who don't follow tech. The phat was already a great piece of kit, so what was the difference?

The only feature listed that isn't simply a small improvement is the TV out. Is this something that people actually use to any degree after they try it out a couple times?

Was there a price adjustment when the new model came out? I guess what I'm looking for is opinions on what was the single most important feature that caused thousands of Japanese consumers to finally jump onboard when the slim was released.

Maybe there wasn't one and demand was just pent up from people waiting on the new revision since they knew it was coming.

C.T.

iidesuyo said:
PSP sales look really great, but one reason is that the DS has lost steam. As a comparison, one year ago:

1. NDS - 111,239
3. PSP - 27,505

Had the the DS continued this path, the PSP would still look very good, but "PSP doubles DS week after week" sounds a bit crazier, especially since the DS got a god-like status after the release of the Lite. In perspective the DS still did much better in its best times (but was also a bit cheaper).

I guess if anyone had predicted this weeks sales one year ago, he would have been laughed in the face by everyone. Some say now that the PSP success wasn't unusual or unpredicted, but that's not true. I still remember how a lot of people looking down last fall, predicting how the PSP was soon to be destroyed by the DS again.

we know. But looking at the software charts its a different beast (excluding monster hunter)

CrisKre

I think its realistic to expect a bump for PS3. A LOT of people may be holding off to MGS4. I predict in the range of 30-40K. People are underestimating this release.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CrisKre said:
I think its realistic to expect a bump for PS3. A LOT of people may be holding off to MGS4. I predict in the range of 30-40K. People are underestimating this release.

I agree- it might even get to 50-60K.

Then the following week to 20K.

Then to 15K

Then to 12K

Then by the month or so after MGS4 it will be right back where it started.

Pachael said:
More Wii Balance Boards than PS3s in Japan.
And in before someone says 'of course, since Wii Fit costs less than the PS3'.
Wii Fit and a Wii together cost less than a PS3.

That's not the only reason the numbers are this way, though.

CrisKre

I agree- it might even get to 50-60K.

Then the following week to 20K.

Then to 15K

Then to 12K

Then by the month or so after MGS4 it will be right back where it started.

That would make sense. not only will it be the release of arguably the biggest PS3 exclusive for the year, but also new skus and colors. should sell well.

If it fails to sell 30k at least then id say PS3 fate for the year has been sealed. Last nail, blah blah

Top Bottom