• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

lupinko

borghe said:
Well, I've just verified what a user posted on the sony board. You can go to some foreign stores from the US (I tested Belgium like the other user did) and use American Express cards from the US on those stores (again, Belgium in this instance). It is ONLY American Express. I tried all of my Visas and MCs and none worked, and Visa, MC, and AmEx are your only options. I added 5 Euros and voila, I had money in my PSN wallet. I went to SingStore and as far as I could tell most of the english songs were in the store without a problem. I downloaded Queen - Radio Ga Ga, Erasure - A Little Respect, and Alice Cooper Poison next to all of my US downloads. So yeah.. that's how we can get european content (at least content that is not licensed for just the UK).

Enjoy.

edit - oh, yeah.. so make an account on the store, add your AmEx credit card, use your correct address (obviously the country will be wrong but it will still work). Singstore will be in english. PSN store (and interface from SingStar during checkout) is in French or Dutch.

Enjoy again. :)

Does Entropay work for Belgium? o_O

And I could give my regular Visa a try on the Belgium store.

EDIT: I only have a Visa. ;_;

EDIT again: Nope, nothing works for me, well I give up, and seeing as how there will never be PlayStation Cards in Europe, I'm screwed.

Still kinda lame that a EUROPEAN service like Entropay doesn't work on EUROPEAN PS stores. =/

jonviray

Ok, From what I gathered from previous posts, DRM is handled to be on one "active" console at a time. If I were to delete it off one console, could I then redownload it on another and make that my "active" console?

I got a ps3 for my parents and I bought the game and brought it over to their house. We picked up a couple of songs that were familiar to them. (oldies :p) After returning home, I was sad to see it was tied to a console :( Why can't it be tied to your account on 5 machines the same way other PS3 downloadable content is handled?!

MadFuzzy

jonviray said:
Ok, From what I gathered from previous posts, DRM is handled to be on one "active" console at a time. If I were to delete it off one console, could I then redownload it on another and make that my "active" console?

No, songs only work on the console that they were originally downloaded on. It's probably a condition of the licensing between Sony and the record labels to stop DLC sharing.

Even if they are deleted off one console, they are still listed in the Singstore purchase history as being linked to the original machine they were downloaded on (probably by a combination of PSN account and console serial number).

People who have had their machines die on them and who have had replacement machines sent to them have had to call Sony customer services and get them to reset their Singstore account (which can take a either a few days or weeks depending on how busy they have been) but I'm not sure if they'd do this in this case. You could try calling them and see what they say.

jonviray

MadFuzzy said:
No, songs only work on the console that they were originally downloaded on. It's probably a condition of the licensing between Sony and the record labels to stop DLC sharing.

Even if they are deleted off one console, they are still listed in the Singstore purchase history as being linked to the original machine they were downloaded on (probably by a combination of PSN account and console serial number).

People who have had their machines die on them and who have had replacement machines sent to them have had to call Sony customer services and get them to reset their Singstore account (which can take a either a few days or weeks depending on how busy they have been) but I'm not sure if they'd do this in this case. You could try calling them and see what they say.

That is rather unfortunate.... That really changes the download picture, at least for my case. :( I guess I just need to hope that is changed in the future as my downloading has to stop until then.

MadFuzzy

Can't see it changing I'm afraid as I imagine doing it would probably mean having to renegotiate licensing for every single song on the store.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Eggo said:
Can you give a step by step breakdown on how to do this? Do you need to create a new user account in the system browser before booting the game? How do you access another Singstore?
Ok, requests here and PM so I'll do it.

First you have to create a new system account. Not much there. Then you have to create a new PSN profile and select Belgium as your country. All of the PSN setup screens are the same as US. Can't really give specifics, just make sure you create the PSN account and have your country set to belgium.

Once you have the system account and PSN Belgium account created, you MUST be logged in with this account to access the Euro SingStore. While logged in to that system account boot up singstore like normal. Bam, you will now see all of the Euro songs. Use singstore like normal. Once you are ready to check out you'll come to the regular PSN checkout procedure (in Dutch or French, whichever you chose at PSN account creation) where you can add your AmEx credit card. Please note that your address you used during PSN creation doesn't matter. You can put in a different address when you add your card. USE YOUR ACTUAL BILLING ADDRESS FOR THE AMEX CARD!! Your country will be forced to Belgium but it won't matter. Add funds to your wallet and you'll be set.

So caveats:
Songs cost more than they do on the US store. They are only 1.49E, but between the exchange rate and typical currency conversion charges it ends up being more to add Euros to your wallet.

Songs are purchased from that country's store. This is huge. Billing statements will still go to whatever email address you signed up with, but if your PS3 dies (as we've heard) it will be that much harder to go through the foreign store to get your credits back.

The songs will be accessible from any system account, but songs will only show up as purchased (or show up at all in many cases) from the store they were purchased on. Thus if you bought Queen - Radio Ga Ga from the Euro store, if/when it comes to the US store it will NOT be purchased from that store.

I do not know if AmEx gift cards work or not. I have a gift card on order (as I personally do not have an AmEx card) and will be able to tell you after it comes if it works, but as of now I can only verify that an actual AmEx credit card works.

As of right now this is THE ONLY KNOWN METHOD for US owners to buy stores from the Euro store. All other countries tried come back with "Invalid card" and Blegium comes back with "Invalid car" on either Visa or MC. I am guessing this is a bug, so for those interested, I STRONGLY suggest either finding a friend/relative with an Amex card, using your card, or ordering an AmEx gift card and loading as many euros as you can afford on the Belgium store. If they shut down this bug you will still have the funds and can still use them to buy songs. Otherwise if/when they shut this down you simply won't have any way of getting funds on a Euro PSN account (until/unless they release PSN redemption cards for Europe).

I now have half a dozen or so songs from the Euro store. This does work. It's not as easy as some might like, but as long as AmEx Gift Cards work this option should be possible for anyone with a credit card (minus Gift Card fees for getting the card, currency conversion costs, and of course the weak dollar right now).

lupinko

jonviray said:
That is rather unfortunate.... That really changes the download picture, at least for my case. :( I guess I just need to hope that is changed in the future as my downloading has to stop until then.

Basically they just refund all the money you've spent on the singstore if your PS3 kicks the bucket, so you can then just rebuy everything.

Returners

MadFuzzy said:

wait, so even if I upgrade my HDD (or plug it into another machine) it won't do work? Has anyone done a backup utility on downloaded songs?

Tntnnbltn

Returners said:
wait, so even if I upgrade my HDD (or plug it into another machine) it won't do work? Has anyone done a backup utility on downloaded songs?
The songs will still work if you upgrade the HDD because it's still on the original console. Songs also work with the backup feature if you restore it on the original console, but not if you try to restore them onto a new console.

Wikipedia lists a number of tracks as "available for purchase" that I have a desperate need for (Flaming Lips). However, I don't see it listed online. I'm assuming that list is either an EU list or contains upcoming tracks or SOMETHING... anyone know what the deal is?

Also, is there a site / thread that lists the upcoming Singstar releases? And are releases on the same Thursday schedule as PSN content?

FabCam

Banjo Tango said:
Also, is there a site / thread that lists the upcoming Singstar releases? And are releases on the same Thursday schedule as PSN content?

The best place to go for updates is the European Official PlayStation Forums. The devs post the new songs the as they are released.

MadFuzzy

That seems to be a general store list. The Flaming Lips song is certainly up on the UK store.

As for store updates, they're every other Friday and the next one is on 27th June. We normally get info of what is going to be made available from the official Singstar forum 2-3 days before and as soon as the info is available it gets posted here.

MadFuzzy

Got my Volume 2 today. Generally it's a good selection of new songs (arguably better than Volume 1), but it would have been nice to have some of them on the store today to give people an option of buying the disc or not (and we'll see how many of them will end up there next Friday).

Still, given it was only 18 quid for 30 new songs and 4 new wallpapers (a Zen garden one and three fruit-based ones of all things) I'd say it's a worthwhile purchase if you're a fan of the series.

MadFuzzy

Returners said:
So all these new wallpapers and stuff, are they installed to the HD? (probably not for songs eh)

Nope, wallpapers aren't installed either (and neither are the new songs).

Vol.2 will recognise any Vol.1 wallpapers that are on the original disc or that you bought on the Store and saved onto your HDD already (since the original ones are also on the new disc), but if you boot Vol.2, pick a Vol.2 specific wallpaper, quit and then load Vol.1, it changes your Vol.2 wallpaper back to the default red theme in Vol.1.

MadFuzzy

Here's the SingStore update for this Thursday (26th June) from the official forum:

In English:

A Flock Of Seagulls "I Ran (So Far Away)"
Bros "When Will I Be Famous?"
Coldplay "Clocks"
Corinne Bailey Rae "Put Your Records On"
Editors "The Racing Rats"
Franz Ferdinand "Do You Want To"
Franz Ferdinand "Take Me Out"
Judas Priest "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"
Lily Allen "Littlest Things"
Marit Bergman "No Party"
Mark Ronson feat. Daniel Merriweather "Stop Me"
Morrissey "Everyday Is Like Sunday"
Queen "A Kind Of Magic"
Queen "Breakthru"
R.E.M. "Losing My Religion"
Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated"
Shayne Ward "That's My Goal"
The Ting Tings "That's Not My Name"
The Wombats "Moving To New York"
The Zutons "Valerie"
Warrant "Cherry Pie"

In Dutch:
Frans Bauer "Heb je even voor mij"

In Finnish:

Suurlähettiläät "Elokuun 11."

In French:

Christophe Willem "Double Je"

In German:

2raumwohnung "Melancholisch Schön"
2raumwohnung "Nimm Mich Mit - Das Abenteuer Liebe Usw"
2raumwohnung "Spiel Mit"
Blumentopf "Horst"
Klaus Lage "1000 Und 1 Nacht"

In Italian:

Finley "Sole Di Settembre"
Max Gazzè "Cara Valentina"
Max Gazzè "L’uomo Piu Furbo"

In Spanish:

Melon Diesel "Contracorriente"

In Swedish:

Marit Bergman "No Party"

Quite a few songs there from the US version and PAL Vol.1 for Vol.2 owners but no Vol.2 songs...

Queen "A Kind Of Magic"
Queen "Breakthru"

If I could only reach you
If I could make you smile
If I could only reach you
This would really be a BREAKTHRU!

OH YEAH!

Perfect timing too, since I'm away from my PS3 over the weekend :/

MadFuzzy

Re-reading the official forum it seems the update is on THURSDAY this week, not Friday and all future updates will be on a Thursday.

borghe

MadFuzzy said:
Quite a few songs there from the US version and PAL Vol.1 for Vol.2 owners but no Vol.2 songs...
gaahhhbahbhadghwsdhwhjdwqascdasdf----

god damn it... No kidding. Almost 50% of that list is worthless to us US players. And once again, two queen tracks that I would LOVE but probably won't end up here. I hope that AmEx gift card shows up soon (and works).

edit - anywho, on that note my pickups will be:

A Flock Of Seagulls "I Ran (So Far Away)"
Queen "A Kind Of Magic" (if it hits US. doubt it.)
Queen "Breakthru" (if it hits US. doubt it.)

FabCam

I love Singstar. Sometimes I turn it on and just watch videos for a few hours. Sony really should have pushed this title more.

Tntnnbltn

Here's the US SingStar update...

New Content from Euro Update
A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
Bros - When Will I Be Famous?
Editors - The Racing Rats
Lily Allen - Littlest Things
Marit Bergman - No Party
Shayne Ward - That's My Goal
The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name
The Zutons - Valerie

Content from Old Euro Updates (these were stealth added last week. Now they are appearing under new songs)
Avril Lavigne - Complicated
Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending
Duran Duran - Wild Boys
Moloko - Sing It Back
Supergrass - Pumping On Your Stereo

Content exclusive to US
Alphabeat - Fantastic 6

And lastly,
Content from Euro Update which is MIA
Mark Ronson feat. Daniel Merriweather - Stop Me
Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday
Queen - A Kind Of Magic
Queen - Breakthru
The Wombats - Moving To New York
And all of the content from the US disc version. I guess Sony will hold onto that until the US gets SingStar Vol 2.

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
Here's the US SingStar update...

And lastly,
Content from Euro Update which is MIA
Queen - A Kind Of Magic
Queen - Breakthru
The Wombats - Moving To New York
And all of the content from the US disc version. I guess Sony will hold onto that until the US gets SingStar Vol 2.

I'm beginning to hate these updates, this is like what, the third week now I get shafted out of Queen music? ='/

Tntnnbltn

acklame said:
sucky store update :(
Depends on your taste and region, I guess...

For me:
Coldplay - Clocks
The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name
The Wombats - Moving to New York

Hopefully this means that better songs from The Ting Tings and The Wombats will follow (Great DJ and Let's Dance To Joy Division! :D)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
The US really got shafted this week. Not having Queen is bad enough, but now they give us songs we already have, and we don't have volume 2 (won't for another 5 months), so this update is completely useless. Thanks for the Flock of Seagulls :(

Tntnnbltn

Just uploaded my first video then. Took a couple hours of dancing around in my lounge room trying to get the choreography right. :lol The prep work and blooper reels are hilarious (but no way in hell am I uploading them :p).

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Tntnnbltn said:
Just uploaded my first video then. Took a couple hours of dancing around in my lounge room trying to get the choreography right. :lol The prep work and blooper reels are hilarious (but no way in hell am I uploading them :p).

I've got one blooper video up, but it's been long since lost in the shuffle. If you want to see it, look up EggoGF. I'm planning to do a major production of a Britney Spears video with a bunch of girls that I anticipate will be very popular when it hits.

MutFox

Banned
I'm on the fence for buying this game...

So... You can't just buy any song from anywhere?
Are they going to open that up?

Also, is there a place where they list every single song available for SingStar?
By that I mean a GIANT list of all the songs available in the SingStore.
Went to the official site, and didn't see it there.

Thanks.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MutFox said:

Also, is there a place where they list every single song available for SingStar?

Thanks.

The Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SingStar_(PlayStation_3) Looks pretty close to what I just saw in the game and at the US store.

borghe

as of right now, the only way to buy songs from Europe from the US is the method I mentioned back a ways. You NEED an American Express credit card. Gift cards do not work (grrr....). Doing that you can buy songs from the Euro store just fine.

As for songs, the link darien gave is pretty decent, and the singstore web site is usually accurate within a few hours of the new songs going up (which should be every other thursday, with next thursday being the next update).

http://singstargame.com/en-us/Browse-Songs-Home/SingStore/

to be honest, the last few store updates have been quite bad... most of us are hoping that's because Vol. 2 just released over in Europe. hopefully the store updates hit a little better now that Vol. 2 is in the channel. Still, better than American Idol which hasn't received new songs in the store since umm.. over a month ago.

lupinko

MutFox said:

Thanks.

You can buy songs from any SingStore, you just have to have the means to buy it though.

spwolf

FabCam said:
I love Singstar. Sometimes I turn it on and just watch videos for a few hours. Sony really should have pushed this title more.

"problem" is that PS2 version is so cheap, a lot of fun, and localized even more... thats why I still have it...

Top Bottom