• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

I just tried out SingStar (USA) and its quite good.

However, the SingStore is behaving pretty badly for me (actually SingStar online is also not working well). Is it running okay for other people?

Tntnnbltn said:
No. The reason for this is Sony has a relicense all the PS2 songs to make them available as an online download. The existing licenses they had were only for distribution by disc.

I take it that's for songs that are not under the Sony BMG name?

Tntnnbltn

AranhaHunter said:
I take it that's for songs that are not under the Sony BMG name?
SingStar doesn't have automatic access to all Sony BMG songs. I did a quick flickthrough of Sony BMG artists and here are some I recognised.

Sony BMG PS2 artists on PS3:
- Avril Lavigne (Arista/RCA)
- Cyndi Lauper (Epic)
- Delta Goodrem (Sony BMG)
- Franz Ferdinand (Epic in US)*
- Good Charlotte (Epic/Daylight)
- Pink (LaFace/Epic)
- Shannon Noll (Sony BMG)
- Westlife (Sony BMG/RCA/Arista)
- Whitney Houston (Arista)

Sony BMG PS2 artists not on PS3:
- Alicia Keys (Columbia)
- Evanescence (Wind-Up Records)
- George Michael (Columbia, Epic)
- INXS (Atlantic)

* Franz Ferdinand are under Domino Records (independent) in the UK and Europe. I guess this explains why Franz Ferdinand are on the Australian and US stores but not European ones.

polg

damnit entropay doesn't let me add money to my card! I think their site is borked... I really want that alphabeat song :(

FabCam

The game is bringing out more songs than I want. I seriously want to buy pretty much the whole list of songs in the new update, but there's no way I'm spending £15 in one go. They're being too efficient dammit! :lol

Tntnnbltn

borghe said:
Any ideas on when the first US update is happening?
It's already out.

Here is the US update in bold. Songs from the European update that didn't make it are striked out.

Avril Lavigne "I'm With You"
Avril Lavigne "Sk8er Boi"
Beverley Knight "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda"
Bigbang "I Don't Wanna"
Bucks Fizz "Making Your Mind Up"
Coldplay "The Hardest Part"
Coldplay "Yellow"
Corinne Bailey Rae "Like A Star"
Cosmo-4 "Adios Amigos"
Cosmo-4 "Peek-A-Boo"
DJ Bobo "Chihuahua 2002"
DJ Bobo "It's My Life"
DJ Bobo "Vampires Are Alive"
Duran Duran "Planet Earth"
Duran Duran "Wild Boys"
Falco "Rock Me Amadeus"
Good Charlotte "Girls & Boys"
Lily Allen "LDN"
Moloko "The Time Is Now"
P!nk "Get The Party Started"
Queen "Don't Stop Me Now"
Queen "Radio Ga Ga"
Scouting For Girls "Heartbeat"
Shaggy "Oh Carolina"
Spleen Utd. "Spleen United"
The Dandy Warhols "We Used To Be Friends"
The Hives "Main Offender"
Westlife "Uptown Girl"

Of the 15 European language songs, only 3 made it onto the US store (Johnny Deluxe and John Mogensen -- Danish, Luttenberger-Klug -- German)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
GGAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I REALLY wanted Radio Ga-Ga. :( I LOVE LOVE LOVE that song.

edit - oh well, at least the wife will be ecstatic.

lupinko said:
Same parent, but still different companies, SCEE has to license the music the same way like everybody else with Sony BMG.

Makes sense, but you'd think they'd be able to license it faster than everybody else.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
So 17 songs for the first US update. Not bad. Are these expected once a week or every other week? I expect to be dropping a lot of money on this game. Much more than Rock Band if the updates are this meaty.

MadFuzzy

SingStore updates are currently every fortnight, so the next one is due on 13th June (which is a week before Volume 2 comes out in Europe, which hopefully will mean some of the disc-based songs from that will be appearing on the store for people with Volume 1).

In one of the recent interviews with the producer of the game, there is talk of doing one update a month of about 50 songs or so, but for now they should stay fortnightly.

borghe

MadFuzzy said:
SingStore updates are currently every fortnight, so the next one is due on 13th June (which is a week before Volume 2 comes out in Europe, which hopefully will mean some of the disc-based songs from that will be appearing on the store for people with Volume 1).

In one of the recent interviews with the producer of the game, there is talk of doing one update a month of about 50 songs or so, but for now they should stay fortnightly.
I would much rather get a pack with 12 songs in it every week than one pack a month with $50 songs in it. It also makes more sense to me... Laying out $12 per week is much less sticker shock than $48 once a month.

Tntnnbltn

MadFuzzy said:
What she would've meant by that is two updates per month, each with ~25 songs.

lupinko

Anyone know how I can add money to my UK account wallet? I'm in Canada, and I would like to get those European exclusives, might make me want to make other European region accounts too. :lol

borghe

lupinko said:
Anyone know how I can add money to my UK account wallet? I'm in Canada, and I would like to get those European exclusives, might make me want to make other European region accounts too. :lol
being you are not in the US you might be able to use Entropay. I have still never heard anyone mention how I can do it from the US now that entropay has banned us.

borghe

does anyone have problems with the entire online component locking up often. My connection is fine and all of my other games work fine online.. but for the last day and a half now going to either SingStore or My SingStar has completely locked up my PS3... EXTREMELY frustrating. I was thinking it was because it was hot here last night, but now just booting up the PS3 at room temperature it does it. The disc is cleaned and I have tried both a wireless and a wired connection. If the store were slow or laggy I wouldn't care, but this completely locks up my PS3 and requires me to do a 4 second power button reboot.. very annoying.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
How does content sharing work with this game? Can I share songs I downloaded with a friend who owns a PS3, or does this game completely lock you out from doing that? I'm in the U.S. if that makes a difference.

Tntnnbltn

Eggo said:
How does content sharing work with this game? Can I share songs I downloaded with a friend who owns a PS3, or does this game completely lock you out from doing that? I'm in the U.S. if that makes a difference.
Songs can only be downloaded on the console they were purchased on. There's no content sharing.

To change your activated system (eg, if your PS3 breaks and you send it away for repairs) you have to ring Sony and they refund the cost of the songs to your PSN Wallet so you can buy them again on your new console.

FabCam

How do you edit your video? Some guys have done an awesome Supergrass music video. Can you upload a video via EyeCreate?

Tntnnbltn

FabCam said:
How do you edit your video? Some guys have done an awesome Supergrass music video. Can you upload a video via EyeCreate?
Their videos are being edited by selectively pausing and unpausing the game. When you resume the game, the video resumes filming and it looks like it's been edited.

And yeah, that Supergrass video looks quite well done. :p

lupinko

Is there an explanation on how to use entropay? For obvious reasons, my UK account doesn't have my real address seeing as how I just live in one of the commonwealths. :lol

Basically, do I just sign up with my regular info and would I be able to use it on the UK PSN?

I already know that my regular credit card doesn't work on the UK PS store (or any PS store not Canadian). =/

Tntnnbltn

lupinko said:
Is there an explanation on how to use entropay? For obvious reasons, my UK account doesn't have my real address seeing as how I just live in one of the commonwealths. :lol

Basically, do I just sign up with my regular info and would I be able to use it on the UK PSN?

I already know that my regular credit card doesn't work on the UK PS store (or any PS store not Canadian). =/
I saw a good explanation of how to use Entropay on the EU SingStar forums. (link)

The guide is for buying things from the US, but you should be able to use it fine for buying from the UK.

.hacked

Is this normal?

I just played Singstar PS3 and there is a noticeable lag between when someone sings and the audio is played on the TV.

I did not notice this playing on the PS2 a few months back. Is it because I am using mics from the PS2 game?

Tntnnbltn

.hacked said:
Is this normal?

I just played Singstar PS3 and there is a noticeable lag between when someone sings and the audio is played on the TV.

I did not notice this playing on the PS2 a few months back. Is it because I am using mics from the PS2 game?
It's not 'normal', but it's not an isolated case either. It's an issue on the PS3 version with some HDTVs and audio set-ups. On other TVs it works fine.

This is what Sony said about the issue in April... (link)
We know that many of our users already know about HD Audio Lag and the way that some TVs and audio amplifiers induce a short but noticeable delay in audio playback. This is caused by the time it takes the TV or audio equipment to process the signal.

This problem is particularly noticeable in a singing game and if you're affected you'll notice:

1. Game scoring isn't completely accurate as your singing is slightly out of sync with the analysis system that does the scoring.
2. The Audio can be out of sync with the video during playback of recordings
3. During a live performance your voice can be delayed giving a slight echo effect

If your TV has a "Game Mode" option we recommend you use this. This is a function on some TVs designed to reduce the gap between the Audio and Video playback. Some users have had success with changing their audio output to the default analogue multi (red and white plugs that came with the PS3) whilst keeping video via HDMI.

Other community members have suggested outputting the audio to something other than the TV, such as a HiFi or Home Cinema Amplifier, although complex audio processors should be avoided as they may add further audio delays

In the latest SingStar patch (version 2.1), Sony added a lag calibration feature. To access it, go into options and find the calibration tab. To do the calibration, you hold the microphone ~10cm from the right speaker, and the game emits a series of beeps. It will then calculate the amount of lag between playing the sound on the machine and hearing it on the microphone. (You might have to have the tv loud for it to work; I got a lag of 40ms).

The lag calibration will not be able to remove the lag itself, but it will adjust the scoring accordingly. That way if you sing along to the song as you hear it, you should score fine.

There's also an option for a ghost bar under the calibration options. It's a white bar which fills up the note tube at the pace you should be singing at. (If you have significant lag, the blue/red bar will be filling up a couple centimetres behind where you should be singing, so you can't use it to judge when to change pitch. The ghost bar fixes this.)

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
I saw a good explanation of how to use Entropay on the EU SingStar forums. (link)

The guide is for buying things from the US, but you should be able to use it fine for buying from the UK.

Thanks!

But I don't see an option for CAD (only EUR, GBP and USD), and that tutorial said not to set it to USD. =/

So now I'm a little confused unless they said not to use USD for Europeans as the exchange rate would be stupid as it would be applied to their bank.

Tntnnbltn

lupinko said:
Thanks!

But I don't see an option for CAD (only EUR, GBP and USD), and that tutorial said not to set it to USD. =/

So now I'm a little confused unless they said not to use USD for Europeans as the exchange rate would be stupid as it would be applied to their bank.
I'm confused why Entropay would even have an option for USD if they don't let residents from the US sign up. =/

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
I'm confused why Entropay would even have an option for USD if they don't let residents from the US sign up. =/

I did a little searching, and I guess Canadians can use Entropay. I'm guessing us Canucks just use the USD option? I should really find out. =/

EDIT: Oh wait, I read the terms of service, since I'll be using the UK store, I'll use GBP, man that exchange rate between the Queen's real money versus our Loonie is not so good. =/

Tntnnbltn

msdstc said:
I've been teetering on the edge of buying this one for so long... anybody wanna convince me?
I got it myself last Thursday when I decided I preferred the Vol 1 track list to the upcoming Vol 2, and knew I didn't want to wait 6+ months on the offchance of getting wireless mics.

It's been great, especially the SingStore. Both times that my friends have come around to play, we've ended up purchasing ~10 songs (with another 20-30 on there which I've been eyeing off). It's been good getting them in small doses rather than one batch; keeps the game from getting stale.

The graphics are a great step up from the PS2 versions. It's such a difference going from the letterboxed PS2 music videos to true widescreen. Even if the quality of some music videos aren't that great, the overlayed note tubes and lyrics are incredibly sharp and look great on a high def tv.

The community section of SingStar is also good for a laugh. I won't have access to my Eyetoy until next week, so I haven't uploaded anything yet, but there's some great videos in the hall of fame.

Overall, I have to say it's been great. Now has worked out to be a great time to get the game for me, especially with the last couple weeks of SingStore updates + new features in the recent patch.

lupinko said:
man that exchange rate between the Queen's real money versus our Loonie is not so good. =/
Songs here are AU$2.45 (US$2.34), compared to AU$1.51 (US$1.45) on the US store :( When I was going to purchase my first songs, I had to decide whether to buy them locally or buy half my songs from the US store. Ended up just buying everything from the Australian store because I didn't want to have to explain why I owned songs from two different regions in the event my PS3 broke and I needed a refund.

lupinko

Does SCEE check now? I just tried using my Entropay on the UK psn and it keeps saying my information is invalid, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong here. =(

EDIT: I searched more, and Entropay does not work on the UK PSN. =(

I guess I can use those 5 GBP for something else then, I dunno what though. :lol =/

Tntnnbltn

lupinko said:
Does SCEE check now? I just tried using my Entropay on the UK psn and it keeps saying my information is invalid, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong here. =(

EDIT: I searched more, and Entropay does not work on the UK PSN. =(

I guess I can use those 5 GBP for something else then, I dunno what though. :lol =/
Bugger. I'm sorry to have suggested it to you. I didn't know it wouldn't work for UK PSN.

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
Bugger. I'm sorry to have suggested it to you. I didn't know it wouldn't work for UK PSN.

It's okay, I didn't put a lot into it, so no big lost. Really I should have researched it more, but I just wanted Queen that much already. :lol

I finally got my PS3 back so that I can download songs in Singstar, but I'm feeling extremely stupid about it now. I purchased songs. I downloaded them. They are listed as being on the HDD, but for the life of me, I can't find them. No matter what mode I go into, they aren't listed. What am I missing? How do I get access to my content?

Tntnnbltn

Marty Chinn said:
I finally got my PS3 back so that I can download songs in Singstar, but I'm feeling extremely stupid about it now. I purchased songs. I downloaded them. They are listed as being on the HDD, but for the life of me, I can't find them. No matter what mode I go into, they aren't listed. What am I missing? How do I get access to my content?
I've read that the songs won't update if you don't have the microphones plugged in. When it works, it should say Updating Carousel when you go to song selection screen; songs will appear in the carousel with a red "New" tag underneath them.

If everything else fails, try going to the Delete Content screen. Even if you don't delete anything, this screen should trigger the song list to update. Worst case scenario delete all the content and redownload it.

Tntnnbltn said:
I've read that the songs won't update if you don't have the microphones plugged in. When it works, it should say Updating Carousel when you go to song selection screen; songs will appear in the carousel with a red "New" tag underneath them.

If everything else fails, try going to the Delete Content screen. Even if you don't delete anything, this screen should trigger the song list to update. Worst case scenario delete all the content and redownload it.

Yep, that looks like that was the problem. Thanks for the tip.

In other news, holy crap, I just bought 60 songs off the store. Sony seriously owns me on this and I can only imagine how many songs per week I'll be buying if they're doing weekly updates. How often are the updates btw?

Tntnnbltn

Marty Chinn said:
In other news, holy crap, I just bought 60 songs off the store. Sony seriously owns me on this and I can only imagine how many songs per week I'll be buying if they're doing weekly updates. How often are the updates btw?
Every second Friday. Next update is on June 13th. We usually find out the song list one or two days prior via announcements on the EU PlayStation forums.

icechai

Tntnnbltn said:
Every second Friday. Next update is on May 13th. We usually find out the song list one or two days prior via announcements on the EU PlayStation forums.

err June? :p Hopefully they'll give a heads up to America updates this time unlike last wk :(

Top Bottom