• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched one episode of Rainbow, once. It seemed very competent, but I had too much on my plate (re: the entire history of anime) to devote time to it when it was airing. I never went back to it, for whatever reason.
It's competent. A bit on the grimdark at first but a show about prison with corrupt guards it doesn't bother me. But like I said it loses a lot of its power on the second half and becomes a pretty standard/average story to the point it's a bit of a bore to get through it. I can't recommend it over many other shows but if your backlog is going on empty then watch it. If you're fine with leaving shows half finished then even more as you could only watch the first half.

/XX/

Another tease for When Marnie Was There in the form of a new TVCM:

When Marnie Was There TV Advert - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqbTyCEfGvI

One thing I've been wondering, how does One piece fare in the Sakuga department compared to say, Naruto ? Better, worse ? Does it have episodes comparable to Naruto/ Shippuden 133, 167, 322 ?
If you are willing to continue beyond the 400 episodes you'll be rewarded with some of what I find was the most consistently nice animation of it, in the form of the 'Impel Down Arc'. And search always for the Murad (@0XMURADX0) sanctioned goodness!

Well despite lack of saguka I thought some early battles were pretty well done like Arlong Park and Alabasta but if you still don't like the series after Arlong Park it probaly isn't for you. Personally I think OP is easily the best of big three by far.
True for me as well, and precisely during the 'Alabasta Arc' and coinciding with
Naoki Tate involvement on key animation cuts like his ones for Luffy VS. Crocodile
is when I commenced to be specially impressed by some bits of this series' animation.

SoldnerKei

Most anime aren't terribly good either, but every once in a while you get a show that manages to hit its notes with just the right touch.

or they take the nostalgia route like Sailor Moon Crystal... and it's working... now gimme my Saint Seiya Remake Toei!!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Since there's going to be confusion of misinformation here is the correct list:

:chet = life, particularly large ones. The more :chet the better.
:thonik = hometown
:dtl = yaoi
:sdburton: yuri
:cajun = hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
:firehawk = mono no aware
:wonzo = QUALITY
:duckroll = false hype (not to be confused with duckroll future which is CG)
:cnet = [post=81717473]Oh dear oh dear oh dear[/post]
:kayos = a state of confusion that is unique to the member kayos90

SO glad this code got broken, it is truly awful and I did not like it very much,

Future Diary 17

TrXEBsv.jpg

Wow. What a shithead.

So Yukki
chose Yuno and actually listened to her.
And I felt bad for seventh though. Yeah, yeah, overly sappy, but whatever. I can't control what moves me. :p

Ro-Kyu-Bu! Season 1 and Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS episode 1-5
This was my first loli anime. I enjoyed the first season for the most part, then near the end of the first season and the start of the second season left a sour taste. Something about it just rubs me in a wrong way. Maybe cause Subaru is afraid of being called a pedo
yet he still allows Tomoka to stay the night in his room, enter a bath with him, etc etc
. I dont think I can finish the second season :/

Aldnoah Zero 1

That was super predictable.

I hate the way the mouths are drawn in this show. The necks also look too thick at times. Music was nice though.

I'm also getting tired of evil advanced civilizations with old european military clothing. One of my least favorite tropes. Spend some of that R&D money used on making giant robots into your fashion industry FFS.

/XX/

Someone remembers this?:

INTERVIEW/ Hayao Miyazaki: Newest Ghibli film humanizes designer of fabled Zero - AJW by The Asahi Shimbun said:
Miyazaki: Aside from Studio Ghibli, I believe the only other Japanese animation production company that keeps a certain number of full-time people on its payroll is Khara Inc., run by Hideaki Anno, the director of the anime TV series "Neon Genesis Evangelion." I have known and worked with Anno for 30 years. He is undergoing unspeakable hardships, giving his all to film-making and grooming the next generation of film makers.
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/movies/AJ201308040009

Well, we can already scratch-out Studio Ghibli from the list of havens with a considerably big amount of full-time employees on the Japanese animation industry (also, did he forget of Kyoto Animation?), judging by Toshio Suzuki words at his usual TOKYO FM's GHIBLI ASEMAMIRE radio program:

Twitter / tsk06: Q. Dosen't Ghibli employ a ...
https://twitter.com/tsk06/status/486466073877696512

Most studios operate on a similar way so it isn't that strange, but... is this another step towards converting the studio into the IP management business they hinted at recently?

This reminds me why I'm glad we don't talk in this code anymore, for the most part. It's way too much for the casual viewer of the thread.

I have to agree in all honestly. It was a bit much for me at first a couple years ago, but I got used to it. Not that I've ever posted all that much.

Jex

Someone remembers this?:

Well, we can already scratch-out Studio Ghibli from the list of havens with full-time employees on the Japanese animation industry (also, did he forget of Kyoto Animation?), judging by Mr. Suzuki words at his usual TOKYO FM's GHIBLI ASEMAMIRE radio program:

Most studios operate on a similar way so it isn't that strange, but... is this another step towards converting the studio into the IP management business they hinted at recently?
Yikes. Everyone working on movies for Ghibli must be operating under incredible pressure.

I know it makes more business sense to not keep employees on full times, but really you can't argue with the consistently and quality that Ghibli has put out from keeping staff in-studio full time.

I'm sorry PshycoNinja but are you seriously telling me that Katawa Shoujo's girls are "two dimensional" when speaking in defense of Clannad? Also shouldn't it be "one dimensional?"

I mean, not only do people like KS universally pretty much because the female characters feel like actual human beings and aren't the one dimensional trophy for the MC but I consider the characterization of Clannad its weakest point.

While Tomoya's pledge to Nagisa is literally about him protecting her, that kind of garbage white knighting leads to e.g. Hanako's bad end.

I also hope there's no one ever looking for sexism in Clannad, otherwise that person's going to have a fricking field day with how women are portrayed in that. Even Nagisa's mother is just a braindead buttmonkey (hurhur the bread is good honey, don't cry!) while her father gets a lot of important stuff to say.

sonicmj1

On the subject of women/sexism in Fate/Zero, Saber's gender is incidental to the conversation in episode 11. Every idealist in the series suffers for those ideals. Saber being female at all is more a result of this being a prequel to F/SN than anything else.

The bigger issue, which becomes more pronounced in the second half, is how frequently women are used as accessories for male character suffering. It's a consequence of it being a story about men being men, but the same pattern repeats more than it probably should.

If you ever get the chance you should return to it. The first half has been really good and all the characters could be real human beings that don't fall into the typical anime tropes. A lot of their backstories are influenced in some way by post world war II. It's interesting to see how bad a state Japan was in after the war.

Sounds like something I should check out. I'm always interested in seeing works that reflect on Japan's relationship to the war.

Uguuuuu shots fired.

Edit: if fate zero is about men being men and ideals being destroyed then I wonder what the other type moon properties are. In particular fate stay night. It certainly isn't about men being men.

Caesnd

Someone remembers this?:

Well, we can already scratch-out Studio Ghibli from the list of havens with a considerably big amount of full-time employees on the Japanese animation industry (also, did he forget of Kyoto Animation?), judging by Toshio Suzuki words at his usual TOKYO FM's GHIBLI ASEMAMIRE radio program:

IP management business? I don't know if I like the sound of that to be honest.

Personally I think camaraderie is undervalued, or perhaps it's just the fact that the larger any business becomes, the less room there is for any meaningful bonding.

I'm sorry PshycoNinja but are you seriously telling me that Katawa Shoujo's girls are "two dimensional" when speaking in defense of Clannad? Also shouldn't it be "one dimensional?"

I mean, not only do people like KS universally pretty much because the female characters feel like actual human beings and aren't the one dimensional trophy for the MC but I consider the characterization of Clannad its weakest point.

While Tomoya's pledge to Nagisa is literally about him protecting her, that kind of garbage white knighting leads to e.g. Hanako's bad end.

I also hope there's no one ever looking for sexism in Clannad, otherwise that person's going to have a fricking field day with how women are portrayed in that. Even Nagisa's mother is just a braindead buttmonkey (hurhur the bread is good honey, don't cry!) while her father gets a lot of important stuff to say.

When did sexism get brought into this? Women play prominent roles in Clannad and are quite important. Tomoyo becomes
Student Body President, Kotomi is so smart she studies abroad in America
. Hell if being dumb is sexist then they must be sexist towards males too because Sunohara is the dumbest of the bunch.

And I didn't know I was defending Clannad. I was saying I liked both and gave reasons why I liked both. I just didn't care for the MC's relationships in Katawa. I enjoyed it's comedy aspects (that was what the picture was; an example of the comedy).

Edit: Also
Sanae gives Tomoya advice a lot and helps a lot during the show too. Akio is just an outgoing character and is more suited to help Tomoya because he's been in his shoes

Firemind

Oh god, Keyshit, it's all coming back!

On the subject of melodrama, just saw the Ano Hana movie yesterday, and my lord, tsundere gonna tsun.

survivor

Banned
To be fair, it wasn't as dramatically assured as I probably implied on my previous post (after all The Borrower Arrietty was pretty successful) but it is something I'm lately reminded of after the recent developments on the studio and the very own pessimistic outlook from Mr. Miyazaki (totally normal coming from him though).

I know I should have expected some pessimism from the link when I clicked on it, but that was pretty cynical look at the future. At least it did remind me I need to check out the documentary.

Caesnd

To be fair, it wasn't as dramatically assured as I probably implied on my previous post (after all The Borrower Arrietty was pretty successful) but it is something I'm lately reminded of after the recent developments on the studio and the very own pessimistic outlook from Mr. Miyazaki (totally normal coming from him though).

Thank you for the links!

I know many people don't sympathize with Miyazakis outlook, but even though I grew up in a different era I somehow feel that I can relate to it.

Ideals and values shift consistently throughout the ages, but even so, the feeling being part of something that has come and gone can be quite tough to endure sometimes.

Chariot

Brr. What with this sudden urge to fight against sexism in anime today?

I get that Nagisa isn't the pinnacle of feminism, but we also have Tomoyo who is not only physically way above Tomoya (for that matter, I think Kyou is stronger than him, especially with his injury), but all the girls are intelligent for themselves.
As we see, everyone makes their life fine, even without Tomoya or anyone male. Well except Sunohara. He should've probably gone for Tomoya. I am not really sure regarding Nagisa, because she would be kinda dead without him. She is definitly the weakest character next to Kotomi.

But then again, there are buff girls, but there also girls like Ryou and Nagisa. A ratio of 2:2:Fuuko isn't that bad.

Also I have played Katawa Shoujo on 100%, but I won't join the dick measurring contest between an enjoyable visual novel and an enjoyable anime.

CorvoSol

Captain Earth 14

Psychic kissing and all.

But seriously, is there ever going to be a point or plot to this show? Because Star Driver it ain't.

Clannad's (anime) downfall, and what makes it a mediocre anime, is its harem aspects. Katawa Shoujo did it better since iirc if you are on one girls route, the other girls are not into you.

Careful, Pshyco, you're starting to spoil Clannad.

I am so sorry about that. I didn't realize. Don't read the the next section. :p

-------------------

The idea of a one dimensional character is that they exhibit one dominant personality trait throughout a body of work and don't really grow in any substantial way. I said 2D because the girls in Katawa Shoujo do show growth. And most of the girls do show one dominate trait as you go through the story. The only exception is probably Emi. This discussion on this VN is for another day as I am quite fond of Katawa Shoujo. (Was my first VN)

The idea that has been perpetuated that is complete folly is the idea that Clannad characters do not grow and are "one dimensional". Nothing could be further from the truth. While these characters have a front for their personalities a single trait doesn't dominate their personalities. This is pushed by the fact that these characters grow into almost completely different characters by the end of the show. (Spoilers ahead)

Let's start with Nagisa. She really does start off as this fragile character who cries a lot because she's an emotional and sensitive person. As we progress through the series we find that
while Nagisa does do this she is a lot more determined then she lets on and has an internal strength that Tomoya lacks. This is why Tomoya becomes dependent on her is for her inner strength that he lacks. Just like how Nagisa relies on Tomoya to say the right thing to help her physically and emotionally. By the middle of After Story we have a character who has vowed to "never cry even if she wants to" and is determined to keep that promise. Even on her deathbed she does not cry. She basically goes from a fragile and emotional character -> a strong and determined individual.

Let's move onto another character with Kotomi. When we meet her she is a shy individual. This isn't her one personality trait as we move on through the show. We find that she is
a kind hearted individual who has the burning desire to be friends with everyone. When we reach the end of the series we find that she has grown and is more emotive with everyone and is able to speak with other people and friends with confidence and resolve. She's almost personality wise a completely different character than what she was at the beginning of the show.

Last example I want to use is Tomoya who exhibits one of the biggest character growths in the show. Tomoya when we first meet him doesn't have a lot of self respect, he's irresponsible and is a prankster. He lacks an inner strength. As we move through the series
and Tomoya experiences the things he does he latches onto Nagisa because of her inner strength and having someone believe in him. It's one of the reasons he breaks when Nagisa dies because he basically loses his inner strength and he was so co-dependent on her as much if not more than she was with him. By the end he makes amends and becomes a stronger person. He becomes a loving father and becomes very responsible because he knows that if he keeps up this act then nothing will change and misery will continue. It's a great character growth.

I can go on and on with each character but I think that would annoy some here. :p

you doing EIT hours?

but yeah, my department. are you drafting shit?
Nah just doing lab tests and helping out the test lab folks. Funny enough I'm graduating as a civil student but all my experience is in fluids and test running/simulations. Which is fine since my plan wasn't to go into the construction/design industry.

Conan-san

I'm beginning to suspect that there was never a point where Miyazaki wasn't wound up to the point that being pricked with a pin wouldn't cause him to pop like a blood balloon.

Chariot

The pineapple of feminism?
Aw, man, I meant pinnacle. But she isn't a pineapple, too.

Clannad's (anime) downfall, and what makes it a mediocre anime, is its harem aspects. Katawa Shoujo did it better since iirc if you are on one girls route, the other girls are not into you.
While I don't completelty disagree I have to say
that in the anime itself only Kyou is really into him, if my memory isn't fuzzy. Ryou and Tomoyo are interested at best, Fuuko just needs a big bro who plays with her and well, Kotomi... eh. At least the Another World OVAs gave Tomoyo and Kyou proper routes (and gave Ryou at least a chance). Apparently even KyoAni tought that Kotomi isn't even worth 20 minutes.

I also liked this scene. There isn't much said in it, the dialog doesen't say much, but the scene shows with each characters actions and reactions clearly what everybody is thinking. Well, aside from Kotomi, but who cares about her.

TUSR

Banned
Nah just doing lab tests and helping out the test lab folks. Funny enough I'm graduating as a civil student but all my experience is in fluids and test running/simulations. Which is fine since my plan wasn't to go into the construction/design industry.

we have too much oil and gas in this part of canada, mech to civil jobs are probably 10:1 here.

my spec is in materials/composites/electron microscopy.

and im sitting here updating weld procedures

we have too much oil and gas in this part of canada, mech to civil jobs are probably 10:1 here.

my spec is in materials/composites/electron microscopy.

and im sitting here updating weld procedures
Materials I was interested in. But mainly when it came to construction as in designing concrete and asphalt. But to do what I wanted to do I would need to be a professor doing research or a lab worker for a company. At that point I ended up deciding go with this.

Shit let's keep this anime related. I love the show "I can't believe my little sister decided to talk about engineering job related topics in an anime thread!"

Yeh that certainly is part of the problem, which is why I emphasize the anime as I have not played the VN. The article I linked also mentions that as a major issue. The anime studio should've realized that trying to cram in multiple routes just won't work well. But then again there are all the fan expectations of having their favorite girl featured. That said, that's not a valid excuse. If you want to make a proper anime adaption then do what's right.

Well, enough of me bashing Clannad.

Though, talking about adapting visual novels actually reminded me of Steins;gate. I actually really like that anime for the most part but it also suffers from some weird plot points and pacing, which come from their attempt to give every character their own episode at some point.

Then there's Fate/Night which... I gave it a try after Fate/Zero, wondering if it's really that bad. And yeah, I gave up 2 episodes in. Kinda a pity when the VN is supposedly quite good and Fate/Zero left me with a lot of questions which I didn't just want to look up (but am also not gonna play the VN I think).

Well maybe the new stuff will be good.

TUSR

Banned
Materials I was interested in. But mainly when it came to construction as in designing concrete and asphalt. But to do what I wanted to do I would need to be a professor doing research or a lab worker for a company. At that point I ended up deciding go with this.

Shit let's keep this anime related. I love the show "I can't believe my little sister decided to talk about engineering job related topics in an anime thread!"

its nice to see a show focused on plot instead of pantsu

Tenumi

Banned
I just watch anime. I don't do in-depth analysis. It's hard enough figuring out the technobabble explanations of some series.

Wait I thought Gintama was your favorite. :p The flashbacks so far were indeed good and probably ma favorite thing about OP as of yet.

One Piece 23-30

Still pretty slow but it was an improvement over previous arcs. I feel like the character design gets more ridiculous with every episode, that Wall Pearl guy
KuGsj.gif
. The feels at the end were a nice way to finish this arc. Will watch the next one after short break.

One thing I've been wondering, how does One piece fare in the Sakuga department compared to say, Naruto ? Better, worse ? Does it have episodes comparable to Naruto/ Shippuden 133, 167, 322 ?

I mean't one of my favorites. My mistake worded it incorrectly.

Aw, man, I meant pinnacle. But she isn't a pineapple, too.

While I don't completelty disagree I have to say
that in the anime itself only Kyou is really into him, if my memory isn't fuzzy. Ryou and Tomoyo are interested at best, Fuuko just needs a big bro who plays with her and well, Kotomi... eh. At least the Another World OVAs gave Tomoyo and Kyou proper routes (and gave Ryou at least a chance). Apparently even KyoAni tought that Kotomi isn't even worth 20 minutes.

I also liked this scene. There isn't much said in it, the dialog doesen't say much, but the scene shows with each characters actions and reactions clearly what everybody is thinking. Well, aside from Kotomi, but who cares about her.

I have to say.... that scene is so much better dubbed. I even think they use different (and better) music.

I know some really like the sub but damn now it's all coming back to me. I usually like sub more but F that. Dub is much better.

I just watch anime. I don't do in-depth analysis. It's hard enough figuring out the technobabble explanations of some series.

But thats the best part, but more reason we need more sci-fi and space anime in this age in which its currently limited only mahouka koukou delivers actually intriguing aspects to science fiction and magic in this current age. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom