• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew PC Beta Starts Monday July 21st

Umm... why is there a story? Why is it presented in this annoying way? This needs to be about fun and about driving with other people so WHY THE HELL is there a incredibly bad and stupid story with the most bland of Troy Baker characters? They need to encourage the social elements, not push people towards doing story based AI races with badly written dialogue and cringy cutscenes?

Sorry fot the short rant, but I am so confused, what is this? They are downplaying their biggest strength and unique features by slipping into a total formula of a design. If this is the result of some off the chart QA testing market research bullshit just because nowadays games need to have a story with cutscenes, this is too much.

Oh my god.

Edit: while I'm at it - I am playing this 1080p60fps at most settings turned to high with an ancient GTX570 and current gen consoles will get this @ 30fps? So far this has been so much of a dissapointment.

Edit 2: I just noticed the film grain. In a MMO racing game. This goes so well with my first point. That's like putting film grain in Mario Kart. Seriously? The non sensical punches just keep on coming

Phinor

How do they expect us to beta test it if people can't even start the game?

That's also (proper) beta testing. Reporting an issue that makes the game unplayable in the first place. It's damn annoying for sure, but nothing you can do about it but report the issue. It is, after all, a beta that is meant to only benefit the developer.

For example with BF4 beta it was a bit different because the beta was an actual pre-order bonus so it was kind of expected that you'd actually be able to play the beta. It wasn't in a playable state for many PC gamers for a while, but they did fix the issue before the BF4 beta ended. Had they not fixed that particular issue, it wouldn't have been a nice situation.

Anyway, hopefully they run another beta test later on, having fixed the reported issues.

So my friend and I enjoyed it mainly for the different scenery. The driving was so annoying. I recorded a video of our drive from the Bronx(NYC) to Santa Barbara. 45 min drive lmao.

The Cowboy

Fast travel is free in the beta and auto repair is on by 500% speed. Nice. Players won't riot just yet.

Neat, i was wondering why only flying/trains cost money, and the auto repair in the beta is crazy fast so I'm glad its on 500% speed.
---
I really hope in the full game we can "create a race", I'd love an option that allows the players to place a start point then a number of check points and a finish line ANYWHERE on the map and then make car/map opening restrictions, and then invite friends/crew members to race the route - the reason for this is in an actual race you can't place a waypoint and it would allow the game to have effictly unlimited race tracks.

Just imagine being able to get a group together and being able to create your race that starts in New York, then to Detroit, then to Chicago, then over the snowy mountains, then to Las Vegas, then to Los Angeles, then to San Francisco and then a mad dash to Miami :D - over any route you like as long as you hit the check points in each city in order.

drotahorror

Definitely enjoying this. Love the mountain parts the most.

Anyone know a good race to grind for money? Tryin to get that skyline.

Aerocrane

I haven't tried the PVP races, but for replaying story races the payout is only about 1k per race so grinding money is boring. I gave up on trying to get the Skyline and got a Ford Focus with Dirt specification tune instead since it works good everywhere.

PSYGN

The smoke from the tires and the dust kicking up on the roads in this game looks terrible. I thought the dirt on the road was a graphical glitch at first, I mean why would you have dirt kicking up so cheaply like that in the mountains? I mean sure I can expect to see things like that in the desert on flat ground or dusty stretches, but constantly? They really need to revisit that because it hurts the immersion more than it helps.

libi

Neo Member

Bought mine a while ago.

Try the one where you need to take down the V2. The name of the mission was "making a ghost" or something along those lines. Pretty easy and fast, you can get ahead of her and ram her head on when she exits the railroad track.

drotahorror

Bought mine a while ago.

Try the one where you need to take down the V2. The name of the mission was "making a ghost" or something along those lines. Pretty easy and fast, you can get ahead of her and ram her head on when she exits the railroad track.

Thanks, that was definitely the easiest way to make money. And then reset your perk points to make new cars 27% off. Knocked the Skyline down to 78k. Honestly wasn't worth it though :( I like my 370z better.

I'm curious if anyone has found all the hotrod parts and how it drove.

ToiJu

I'm really liking this game. After the prologue I haven't played a single mission, I have just been exploring the area while listening to classical music on the radio. Countless hours will be spent with the final version. I think this is the first game that lets you actually drive to a real racing track and drive on it, even if they are quite rough versions of the tracks. This is Test Drive Unlimited 3 in disguise, with the wrecks and all, even the presets for driving aids have the same names. Last few months of the year are gonna be good for open world racers, first Forza Horizon 2 and then The Crew roughly two months later. Also, props to Ivory Tower for including few tracks from Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon on the electronic music radio station.

PaulLFC

Thought I'd finally fixed the "black screen with audio but no graphics" issue. The solution? Alt-tab out and exit Uplay.... Except as soon as you alt-tab again it forgets how to display graphics - again. Now it refuses to do anything even when restarting the game.

Beta or not, this has ended any interest I had in the game at launch (and to be honest, I was quite interested, the 5 minutes or so I did manage to play was quite fun). Regardless of it being a beta, something as basic as Alt-Tab should be working to a level where it doesn't completely disable graphics output, or at the very least it should be fixed with a restart, unlike this game.

The Cowboy

I'm beginning to think it was a bit of a mistake to allow access to the entire US during the beta, due to the fact you can't access any challenges outside of the ones in the Midwest, when you venture out you basically just drive around and see it all without taking the time to do anything else..

So far I've almost seen every major area in the game, sure it will be nice to have missions/challenges in those areas when the full game comes out - but due to the lack of them in the beta you can basically only drive around the areas and view/unlock it all.

valeo

This kind of feels like a bigger Burnout Paradise with about a quarter of the fun..

How do they expect us to beta test it if people can't even start the game?

That is beta testing, dude. People just take 'beta' to mean 'early access to the game' now.

vvise

how do i get people into my session, earlier when i was doing the opening missions i saw lots of people, now i can't find anyone.

do i have to have people on my uplay friends list? also, feel free to add me: vvise

Coolluck

Drove down to El Paso through Dallas. Dallas had a downtown and a bit of surrounding city I guess but El Paso was just a tiny blip on the map and in the wrong spot. Game crashed while I was there. Roswell is the same size as El Paso. There's no Austin, San Antonio, or Houston. Can't believe there's a New Braunfels but not the major ones around it. Amarillo got a decent size. I'd be interested if this game had DLC of the missing cities.

I'm going to go to Las Vegas and Seattle tomorrow to see what they look like. This definitely made the game fall lower on my radar though.

I still don't get why this beta started at the beginning of the week and ends this friday. I played the game for about 2 hours, because I didn't have the time to play it in the evening after work. I've barely seen anything of the game and it sucks, because I was really looking forward to it.

Megasoum

Banned
Fun fact guys... If you have Fanatec CSP pedals plugged in your PC directly through USB but want to use a gamepad to play, unplug your pedals. I was wondering why I couldn't finish the very first race of the game because I couldn't get to the second checkpoint in time.

Turns out my CSP were braking for me... I was wondering why my truck would never go higher than 3rd gear lol.

dex3108

Detroit - Las Vegas in 32 minutes, average speed 80-90mph with Ford Mustang. I can say that it was really relaxing experience. Traveling over the mountains while listening classical music on radio was beautiful.

iNvid02

the scope is insane, i had to try it out for myself. started driving for 10 minutes with a waypoint placed in LA, barely reached the midwest.

Kssio_Aug

Waiting for more impressions! Would love to have a key, but I did not even know about that before. Oh well... For you testers, take screenshots and record some videos! =p

DD

So, after three days with the beta, here are my two cents about the game. As it was said before, this game's IQ is really really messed up. It's ugly, and I understand that this is a beta, but I hope they improve that.

The game spends two much time with storytelling and tutorials at the beginning. This and the bad IQ caused a really bad first impression on me.

The good part is that the map is really, REALLY great. Love it!

So, I have a question: this game only works with a permanent internet connection, right? I ask that because for me this is clearly a single player game with a online integration used just to justify this crappy and sad freaking monstrous DRM, and that's not nice. This online portion really ruins the game for me.

There was me free roaming; it was the closing moments of a beautiful afternoon. The scenery was really nice, and some chilly music was playing on the radio. I love this kind of stuff. It's like a meditation for me. But then I started to hear some... noises. Random freakin' noises. For like twenty or thirty minutes. The sun was setting, and I was climbing Pikes Peak. The scenery was beautiful; the high altitude, the mountains, some big ass antennas, a fantastic chilly song playing on the radio, and the random noises. It lasted something about 20~30 minutes. Irritating freakin' noises from someone's microphone. Then, after seeing everything there on Pikes Peak, I started descending the mountain. Suddenly, *LOUD RAP MUSIC*. I looked in the options, but I couldn't find anything to mute the other players on the map. It was ruining the pleasure of the free driving. Random noises, screaming engines, loud rap music, little kids voices, STAHP!

Also, the interface is really crowded and ugly. Really, I don't wanna know if xXTrunksSSJ3Xx, >MADKILLA< or :::SpEeDfReAk::: are 3 miles away, or 5 miles away from me. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want the hear their f* voices; I don't want to see them crowding my screen. So, if this don't change, this game is a big NO for me. This forced online integration to justify this terrible DRM is really ruining what could be a great game.

EDIT: just to make my point more clear. I deactivated a lot of stuff of the UI, and yet it still looks like this:

iQoM0WadgCVMQ.jpg

On a game like this, sometimes I enjoy to feel the loneliness of a desert, the quietness of a night in the mountains, but there is Monydude33, aln447, Silversurfer23, FIGHTME300, Hudson55m and guest-GCjRXZYk. Hello guys! Nice to see you here on my screen. Your speakers and microphones are working really well, I have to say! FML...

The Cowboy

please tell me you can toggle that floating sky snake immersion ruining gps line off and just use the blue bold line on the mini map instead

If you check the options you can see a bunch of disabled settings and one is the floating waypoint (though it isn't called floating sky snake :D), so its very likely in the full release it can be turned off.

Edit.
Or perhaps it can be tuned off already, as posted the video above has a waypoint with no snake.

Double edit.
Yep, when in game you can disable the 3D floating waypoint in the in game settings menu

Top Bottom