• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Vesperia VS Infinite Undiscovery ... is there room for 2 ?

CowboyAstronaut said:
So Blue Dragon's crappy demo initially scared you away and you admit to being impressed with it after trying the full game and yet Tales of Vesperia's based on it's demo, which is easily better than Blue Dragon's for what it's worth, doesn't also deserve the benefit of the doubt like you did for Blue Dragon?

In what regard are you saying it doesn't hold a candle to Blue Dragon when you haven't even seen what Vesperia will offer? :lol

Touche. :lol My post was a complete stream of consciousness and I didn't realize how hypocritical that would seem.. Allow me to elaborate...

I hope you aren't trying to say that Blue Dragon's english voice acting was good... because it sure as hell wasn't better than even the stuff I saw in the TOV demo. The japanese voice acting was totally ace though. Blue Dragon is a rather beautiful game in many respects and I do expect BD to end up looking like the more expensive game when all is said and done and I have very little doubt that it probably is the more expensive game, but it's unwise to jump to conclusions so early about Tales of Vesperia when you admit to being turned around by the full BD experience after being initially scared off by Demo. I thought that experience would've taught you a lesson :p

Hell no, good thing I had the Japanese voices on, I knew better. Too bad Vesperia will likely not have that option. Everything about Vesperia just felt so fucking cheap though. That's something I know the full version won't fix. Basically my gripes with is are very fundamental to the design of the game to the point where there's no way the full game could alleviate them.

I can already tell, without playing TOV, that the character development will likely be managed better, even considering how much I enjoyed Blue Dragon's character development and I totally got where all the characters were coming from. I totally understood their motivations and really connected with them, even though reviews claimed that was impossible to do.

The way that voiced conversations are handled feels SO ARCHAIC, having to hit the A button after every line. That's something I guarantee will stay in the game, there's no way they'd completely rework it all into cutscenes at this stage. It makes the game feel awkwardly last gen, and feels out of place with the beautiful environments.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm so buying both. Only one at first...More so the one that comes with the best pre-order item shall be the first one :lol

Jiggy

CowboyAstronaut said:
I don't see at all how Dawn of the New World is bringing more to the series than Vesperia.
Me neither. And, shoot, I'm absolutely one of the people looking forward to ToS: DotNW more than most others, but there's not much particularly new about it other than eliminating the world map--though I'm actually happy with that--and putting monsters on your team. (And motion capture, but that's non-gameplay and I think most here were talking about gameplay...)

But thankfully I don't care about newness anyway; I know what I like, and Tales is it. That's just me, of course.

Wray

Bebpo said:
What is it bringing to NEXT-GEN? Well, how about GORGEOUS CELL-SHADED VISUALS that will make the 80 hour epic adventure look like you're watching anime.

Read --> Reason why I am buying ToV on Day One.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
CowboyAstronaut said:
I don't see at all how Dawn of the New World is bringing more to the series than Vesperia.

I'm really not seeing it, unless there is something about Dawn of the New World that I don't know.
I didn't say DotNW was bringing alot to the series, just "more than Vesperia". Which really isn't a hard task to accomplish.

Batbeg, that doesn't change the fact that Vesperia will have new things about it that make it not just different from Abyss, but better as well. I happen to like Tales title stories and characters so a new story with new characters is definitely a plus as far as I'm concerned.
I already mentioned I dont play Tales of games for the story :/

polyh3dron said:
Touche. :lol My post was a complete stream of consciousness and I didn't realize how hypocritical that would seem.. Allow me to elaborate...

Hell no, good thing I had the Japanese voices on, I knew better. Too bad Vesperia will likely not have that option. Everything about Vesperia just felt so fucking cheap though. That's something I know the full version won't fix. Basically my gripes with is are very fundamental to the design of the game to the point where there's no way the full game could alleviate them.

The way that voiced conversations are handled feels SO ARCHAIC, having to hit the A button after every line. That's something I guarantee will stay in the game, there's no way they'd completely rework it all into cutscenes at this stage. It makes the game feel awkwardly last gen, and feels out of place with the beautiful environments.

Well I do get what you're saying, but I doubt any of that will stop Tales of Vesperia from being a great adventure with extremely fun combat.

I wish tov would have japanese voice acting, but I think the english voices are manageable. I assume we'll be getting the hd version of the last amazing tov trailer at E3? I'm also just dying for all the Infinite Undiscovery videos to start pouring in. I want to see a nice bit of combat. This is when everyone will get to see just how awesome the game truly looks.

Grandjedi by more than Vesperia, what do you mean exactly? I'm just not seeing it. Vesperia seems to bringing more. Unless I'm not fully aware of all that Dotnw is doing.

icecream said:
Aside from the on-stage gameplay demos so far?

Well I mean I want full offscreen hdtv uninterrupted combat videos, preferably out in the field and not just the 2 situational battles they've been showing us. I want to see a nice outdoor environment and I want to see people just have at it with the combat.

grandjedi6

CowboyAstronaut said:
Grandjedi by more than Vesperia, what do you mean exactly? I'm just not seeing it. Vesperia seems to bringing more. Unless I'm not fully aware of all that Dotnw is doing.

It has the monster capturing and the point n' click map. Neither are anything amazing but at least they are something new.

grandjedi6 said:
It has the monster capturing and the point n' click map. Neither are anything amazing but at least they are something new.

If that's all then Vesperia is indeed doing more. Neither of those things are as exciting as the new additions to Vesperia personally.

Sure, the monster capture sounds awesome, but I prefer to use a regular party member anyway. Technically we have our own beast fighting alongside us in Vesperia, Repede. He also comes with hi-ougis, burst artes, fatal strikes and the like to make him even cooler.

AND he has a pipe in his mouth. There's just no beating that :)

grandjedi6

CowboyAstronaut said:
If that's all then Vesperia is indeed doing more. Neither of those things are as exciting as the new additions to Vesperia personally.

Sure, the monster capture sounds awesome, but I prefer to use a regular party member anyway. Technically we have our own beast fighting alongside us in Vesperia, Repede. He also comes with hi-ougis, burst artes, fatal strikes and the like to make him even cooler.

AND he has a pipe in his mouth. There's just no beating that :)
What does Vesperia "do more"/add in then?

Vesperia looks great, has some interesting features, but it the plot is boring and cliche there's no way I'm playing through 80 hours worth.

Also, riding a bear into battle >>>> wolf sidekick. Wolves are so overdone these days.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Guled said:
trick question, the answer is Disgaea 3

Stop pimping NIS crap! There is only one good NIS game. It starts with G, and ends with Rimgrimoire.

Combine

Banned
Hmm going by this and the other threads. IU seems to have the most hype going for it, and that Vesperia underwhelmed with a bad demo. I'll probably decide at the last minute, but I'm leaning towards IU now. Thanks.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm really not a fan of tri-Ace, especially with a couple of their last gen disasters. I'm holding out till it drops or impressions are just amazing.

Vesperia, however, is one of my few must haves this fall.

elbkhm

Probably Vesperia for me, just because it comes out first. IU will have to wait until I finish Tales (or get sick of it).

Guled

Infinite Undiscovery is day one, but I'm not feeling tales. The combat is nice, but I hate everything outside the battles (that goes for all tales games). I'll pick it up when its cheap or rent it down the line. Disgaea comes out that same day so that another reason why i'm skipping it

thetrin said:
Stop pimping NIS crap! There is only one good NIS game. It starts with G, and ends with Rimgrimoire.
You fail

Raide

I think I will get both but looking at the massive list of games I am getting for the 360 alone, I don't think I am going to get much time to enjoy any of them. :lol

IU looks more like the style I want, so I would say that would be the preference but I am poor, so I will get them all! :D

Teknoman

I really like the Tales battle system more than most of the Star Ocean esque battle systems. Just feels like you have more freedom (being able to jump and not auto-running to whatever monster is targeted when you press the attack button).

I'll probably get both at some point if Undiscovery turns out to be pretty good...

Also can we PLEASE get more real overworlds in games this generation? I can deal with the point and click maps...but would really like to see more next-gen powered true overworlds.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
overworlds of what kind? the overworld in vesperia looks like something out of PS1 gen. those types of overworlds are old and archaic.

Something akin to what FFXII and IU do is better in my book. big explorable areas that connect to towns and dungeons.

Spruchy

Infinite Undiscovery will remain undiscovered until I beat Tales of Vesparia and most likely until the game goes on sale somewhere.

Kyoufu

Error said:
overworlds of what kind? the overworld in vesperia looks like something out of PS1 gen. those types of overworlds are old and archaic.

Something akin to what FFXII and IU do is better in my book. big explorable areas that connect to towns and dungeons.

Yeah I agree, if I can explore every area with my party like in FFXII then this could very well be my GOTY. Ugh the wait is going to kill me. One month to go! :(

Teknoman

Error said:

I meant something similar to Blue Dragon, FFIVDS, etc.

Teknoman

Himuro said:
FFXII's "overworld" sucked.

DQVIII please.

What are you talking about?

Out of the 2 next jrpgs I've played this gen - LO and BD - both had traditional overworlds.

Of course, the overworlds were nothing to compliment really. Old and busted.

DQVIII still kicks everyone's ass.

LO didnt, it was that map style overworld where you clicked on where you wanted to go.

But yeah Dragon Quest VIII has had one of the best overworlds so far.

By the way, when is ToS 2 releasing anyway?

Lightning

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I'm really not a fan of tri-Ace, especially with a couple of their last gen disasters. I'm holding out till it drops or impressions are just amazing.

What disasters would they be? Valkyrie Profile 2 was amazing.

Anyway, I've already ordered me a 360 for IU, so I choose that. I am not that interested in ToV.

grandjedi6

Lightning said:
What disasters would they be? Valkyrie Profile 2 was amazing.

Anyway, I've already ordered me a 360 for IU, so I choose that. I am not that interested in ToV.
He probably meant story wise

eznark

Banned
Madden, Too Human, Infinite Undiscovery, Vesperia, NHL09, Crysis Warhead.

Obviously my fiance is going to break up with my in the next 6 weeks

ivysaur12 said:

last-gen disasters...yeah, I'd like to hear this. Radiata Stories is probably their weakest, but it is far and away from a "disaster"; everything else was pretty..."ace" though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
grandjedi6: I know, but I also know ivysaur was pimping BK1 before with a Mizuti avatar :D

Olaeh

I'm torn.

IU is already pre-ordered so I'll roll w/ that. ToV will definitely be purchased and played, but probably a few weeks after release.

Llyranor

Vesperia is an easy day1. I have 3 controllers ready for this game.

IU will be a day whenever as soon as I get reassurance that it's an excellent game via other players' impressions. I'm willing to spend full price on it even if it ends up on the backlog as long as it's a game deserving it.

FSLink

Banned
Llyranor said:
Vesperia is an easy day1. I have 3 controllers ready for this game.

IU will be a day whenever as soon as I get reassurance that it's an excellent game via other players' impressions. I'm willing to spend full price on it even if it ends up on the backlog as long as it's a game deserving it.
This. Minus the 3 controllers ready. Still need to get a 360. >_>

What does Vesperia "do more"/add in then?
The monster system in Dawn of the New World looks rather limited since you can't even control them anyway....Symphonia 1 characters have equipment locked and can't level above 50, story is pretty horrible with a pretty lame plot twist, shorter than Vesperia since it's a spinoff....

I think it's pretty obvious with Vesperia's inclusion of Burst Artes, Fatal Strikes, a form of a weapon synthesis system, more fleshed out story and characters (though no idea if it's so horribly cliché or not yet), it easily is the better game out of the two.

Error said:

Those old, archaic overworlds are a big plus for me... though I have been a fan of big explorable areas that connect to towns and dungeons since the old days with games like Secret of Mana.... each style has it's place.

Bebpo

Banned
Give a generation without those "old archaic" overworlds and then suddenly when they come back a generation later they will be "fresh and exciting".

Early rpgs ------------------> Near past rpgs --> Present rpgs ---------------> Future?
Connected screen worlds -> SD world maps -> Connected screen worlds -> ??

It's just a never ending circle because neither is "better" than the other. They both have their advantages.

Also for the OP question, it's seriously just Abyss vs. VP2 round 2. There are detractors on both sides, but the Tales haters just yell louder.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
Give a generation without those "old archaic" overworlds and then suddenly when they come back a generation later they will be "fresh and exciting".

Early rpgs ------------------> Near past rpgs --> Present rpgs ---------------> Future?
Connected screen worlds -> SD world maps -> Connected screen worlds -> ??

It's just a never ending circle because neither is "better" than the other. They both have their advantages.

Also for the OP question, it's seriously just Abyss vs. VP2 round 2. There are detractors on both sides, but the Tales haters just yell louder.

I have to agree with this. Back when I joined GAF, people were whining about the death of the traditional overworld map. Now that they have it, it's "old and archaic" (you disappoint me, Error). It's an endless cycle.

mikeGFG

Banned
IU is the first JRPG exciting enough to catch my attention since FF9's release.

As a lapsed JRPG fan, Infinite Undiscovery is the one experience that looks truly compelling enough for me to re-live the 50-60 hour, dungeon-crawling epics of yesteryear.

Heres hoping that the game isn't too terribly backwards and archaic. :p

Top Bottom