• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's rank the entire Shin Megami Tensei franchise, because why not

hoggert

Yes. The monster of the week thing was kind of an issue. All the Bels had proper build up and dialog, the Septentrion just sort of appear and go "IOGJASOITMGSDOGMD" Also, Devil Survivor 1 has PLENTY of survivalist stuff in the plot, where as the kids from 2 are basically the X-Men...Hell, the kids in 1 sleep on the dirt in a graveyard, the kids in 2 sleep in comfy, full sized beds a mile underground in a secret government facility as part of the team. ALSO, WHERE IS THE DEATH CLOCK? That was such a unique and cool plot element imo.

I didn't mind the death clock missing, because team members could straight up die in DeSu2. Felt fucking terrible when they actually did because of how clueless I was first playthough.

I have to agree with you that the Septentriones were pretty crap as well. Waste of Kitoh's talent. There were some interesting fights early on that encouraged you to do unorthodox tactical stuff (Merak's beam,) but later fights were just forgettable. I think the last boss died in a couple of turns to charge/concentrate -> ultimate skill spam.

LeafColonel

Neo Member
I'm not sure how to convince you properly, but please go back and give SJ another try! The diffuculty can get pretty disconcerting, and it can get pretty unrepentantly old school at times but its well worth it.

How's Strange Journey vs SMTIV?(and another note, should I play those vs Radiant Historia?)

I dropped Strange Journey over a year ago and I don't like picking games back up, I usually replay them from the start. So I'm wondering what should I start SJ/SMTIV/RH? I was itching for a JRPG actually.

Aeana

I've probably played almost every game under the Megaten umbrella, and I get the feeling I'm the person randomkid was referencing in his earlier post.
These are ordered based on my preference, but I haven't numbered them since a couple of them are kinda semi-tied. Apologies for the length, but I had a fair bit to say about some of them!

Shin Megami Tensei 3 - When this first came out, I wasn't a big fan. Shin Megami Tensei 2 was a game that, quite frankly, changed my outlook on video games. It was such an incredible experience, and I really wanted to see Atlus expand more upon the things that made that game great. Instead, what I got was something very different. A hero who can't equip guns or swords, and actually becomes a demon? And there's no humans anywhere to talk to? It was so strange. But when the Maniax version released and I got to delve into the Amala Labyrinth, it really took hold of me. I began to really appreciate things about the game that I didn't see before, and frankly the game feels better balanced in the Maniax release, as well. The new content is so seamlessly integrated that I'm sure those who played it for the first time never realized that content wasn't there originally. The beauty of the battle system made itself apparent to me here, as well. Some call it broken, but I have always felt that it's completely fair. Sure, you can overpower your enemies by exploiting their weaknesses, but all mistakes you can make are punished harshly by removing turns, or worse, giving you status effects. And everything you can do, the enemies can do right back to you. The magatama system also finally gave you a way to customize your hero, which is something I didn't even know I wanted until I got it. The negotiation system was also really interesting to me, as well. Finally you could gain the ability to speak with demons you otherwise were unable to, and demons could even speak on your behalf. And if you know your mythology, you can even use that to your advantage and have demons with actual mythological relationships speak to each other. Over time, this game elevated itself to my absolute favorite. The atmosphere, the graphical style, the music, the combat system, they're all so wonderful. I just love it to bits.

Shin Megami Tensei 2 - As I mentioned above, this game changed my outlook on video games. I had played a lot of RPGs before playing it, and few of them had quite the impact on me that this game had. The setting is really interesting, really building heavily upon what SMT1 established. A post-apocalyptic world, now much more established, with all kinds of factions and people who have very different views of how the world should be. And it had some really chilling scenarios, particularly the factory area, which was accompanied by music that still gives me goosebumps to this day. Top it off with a more advanced version of the fusion system from SMT1, where this time demons could actually inherit some skills from their parents, which I thought was super cool at the time.

Soul Hackers - This game is so cool. It really went full bore with the cyberpunk aesthetic that prior games in the franchise had been hinting at. The music has a similar kind of dreamy vibe to Persona's, and I really liked how the vision quests had their own versions of the area music. Speaking of the vision quests, I found that whole setup to be really novel, being able to see through the eyes of other people and see what they saw. The demon loyalty system was really neat, if not easily abusable, and although it debuted in Devil Summoner, I first saw it here. The whole idea of a virtual world was really interesting back in 1997, I think, and hadn't really been done to death as it has been now. Coming off of Persona, I really appreciated the quicker combat system too. To this day, I consider this game to be one of my favorite RPGs, even if it isn't quite so unique these days. The 3DS remake really improved a lot of the more iffy aspects, particularly the battle speed, which made me fall in love with the game all over again.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 - I'm not one to say things like this generally, but for a lack of a better way to express it, I think that this game has balls. I still can't believe the developers decided to take the risk of starting it the way it does, because it can and did turn people off quite easily. But once I made it past the minotaur and Medusa, the feeling I had as I walked out into Tokyo is something that I had not felt in a very long time. Indeed, perhaps not since SMT2. And it's really obvious to me that the developers wanted to invoke SMT2. The entire Tokyo portion of the game feels like a love letter to that game, and it's the main reason why I love it so much. Add to that the triumphant return of the press turn system from SMT3, and a fusion system that actually gives you control over your results, and you've got a really special game on your hands.

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 - I am grouping these together because, frankly, they're one game in my mind. This was Atlus's attempt at a more cinematic approach to an RPG under the Megaten umbrella, and I think it worked really well. No demon party members, no fusion. The sphere grid-inspired mantra systems (in 2, especially) were pretty interesting, and certainly gave me what I felt was a good enough amount of control over my party. I really love the graphical style and the music, and the return of the press-turn combat system from SMT3 was super welcome. The dungeon design is quite good, right up there with SMT3. The Junkyard really sucked me in in the first "half," and the twist at the midpoint really threw me for a loop. The world you're thrown into afterward, and its politics, are also incredibly interesting to me. It's a good thing that the gap between the two wasn't too long.

Megami Tensei 2 - This is the game that started it all for me. My first Megaten game, and in fact one of my first RPGs. It was so much more advanced than the other first-person RPGs I had seen before, such as Wizardry. The demon recruitment and fusion systems alone were totally unlike anything I'd ever played before. Another thing I really like is something that I didn't appreciate until I played MT1, but the game starts out with a neat top-down game that is basically the beginning of MT1. A super neat touch. The music in the game is fantastic, using the 4-channel version of the Namco 163 chip which added a much more layered sound to the music than I'd heard in other Famicom games at the time.

Shin Megami Tensei - The leap from MT2 to this game was huge. You can really tell they had some great ideas and they were finally unfettered by the book license that originally birthed the series. The presentation was top notch and beyond anything I expected going in. I really like the way the game begins, in a dream sequence where you can actually meet and name your characters that you'll be meeting on your journey. It was really interesting to actually start in a modern Tokyo setting, too. The previous games had much less ordinary settings, and I think that really added to the game's appeal. In the grand scheme of the franchise, this game has been greatly surpassed by its predecessors, but it still means a lot to me for the role it played in my childhood, so I guess nostalgia holds it up a bit, if you want to say that.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - Ever since Atlus released Etrian Odyssey, I had really been craving a new first-person mainline SMT game. I repeatedly talked about how cool it would be if they just used the EO engine to make a new one. So when SJ was announced, I was completely blown over. I was finally getting what I wanted! SJ isn't quite in line with the mainline games. It is much closer to Wizardry (or EO, if you will) in that it has the main base and you go into dungeons branching out from there. Even with this difference in format, I mostly had a pretty good time with the game. I'm not a big fan of the musical style, though, nor do I really care for the demon co-op system since it is completely one-sided and offers no risks for the player (i.e., enemies can't use it at all). The demon source system was kinda novel, but the implementation was kinda iffy for me. The demonica suit system was a nice throwback to the GUMP system from Soul Hackers, though.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin - I wasn't sure about this game at first. No first-person dungeons? What! But honestly it worked out really well, in the end. They upped the dungeon complexity, without making it too obtuse (looking at you, Phantasy Star 2). The character interactions are such a huge step over Persona 1, and the ability for them to team up to make contacts was really neat as well. The combat system takes a bit of getting used to, but I like the efficiency once you get it set up, particularly for setting up fusion attacks. It has such an interesting tone compared to the rest of the franchise, and something about it is just irresistible.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - A Persona game that doesn't take place in high school? Well, frankly, after finishing Innocent Sin, the idea of a parallel world version of Persona 2 where Maya is the heroine and the events of Innocent Sin didn't happen was incredibly appealing, so I jumped on it immediately. It's such a neat idea. I waffle on whether I like Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment more on a frequent basis, so these are kinda tied right now, but EP has a faster battle system and I like the unique bits of music it has more than IS, so I tend to lean that way lately.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - This game fixed every issue I had with the first Raidou game. The combat is dramatically better, and the story kinda suits me a little bit better than the first game's, as well. I really like how they made the luck stat important here, and I also love that alignment is really important. In fact, the game really felt like the most "mainline" Megaten game we'd had in a very long time at the time of its release, particularly when you also take the negotiation system into account. I really like how you can send your demons in to negotiate with their conversation skills. The fusion system also allowing you to choose some of the abilities you carry over was also super welcome.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army - I was excited to see the announcement of the return of the Devil Summoner series, but it being an action RPG was really strange. The combat system in this game is really basic, and not particularly fun, but it was serviceable enough to get through the game. I love the setting (a lot), and the musical style, as well as the adventure game aspect with the detective system and how your demons work into it. The direction the story goes is hilarious, but I like how it ties into SMT1.

Persona - After SMT If..., I was a little cautious about another game with a school setting from Atlus. But since it wasn't Shin Megami Tensei, I figured it should be different enough to be interesting. I really like the setting, and the music has a super dreamy vibe to it that nobody else was really doing at the time. The way the game opens was kind of chilling for me at the time, with the way they start playing a game and things actually start happening in the real world. I really liked the combination of 3D dungeons and 2D areas where you could talk to NPCs and stuff. I also really liked the idea of assigning personas to characters, giving them different kinds of abilities to use. It was almost like a job system, and DQ3/FF3/FF5 had already taught me to love them in the years prior. This game has a bad reputation for a bunch of reasons, some of which I'll agree with. The dungeon design is not particularly interesting, even if the actual locales are pretty neat. And the battles are fairly slow in the original version of the game. But overall, I'm a pretty big fan of the game, and I love how it has essentially two completely disparate paths to play through. I know American gamers missed out on this originally, and I always wonder if it may have gone over well had the Snow Queen scenario been in the original release. We may never know now!

Persona 4 - This game really improved upon the stuff from Persona 3 I didn't like, and although it still focuses heavily on the social links, I think I minded it less here because I actually like the characters more. I really like the main storyline, and the musical style is much more suited to me than Persona 3's. I also like how each dungeon has a theme to at least differentiate itself some from the others, and of course the manual party member control here was huge.

Devil Survivor - Although the Megaten franchise has had many attempts at strategy RPGs, this was the first time I really felt that they actually hit it. And it doesn't surprise me, since it was developed by developers with a lot of SRPG experience (Careersoft, of Growlanser and Langrisser fame). I love how the combat works, allowing each unit to have a whole party associated with it and switching to a normal menu-driven system where you can exploit weaknesses for extra turns. This also has what I think is one of the best alignment systems in the whole franchise. The demon auction system was also pretty interesting, although the lack of a compendium felt a little restrictive. Sadly, the music is pretty crappy, and that's my most major complaint with the game.

Persona 3 - The day Persona 3 was announced, I couldn't sit still. A new Persona game omggg. Sadly, it didn't turn out to be what I expected it to be, even if it was a fairly good game. The total focus on school life had yet to become a downer for me compared to these days, although I wasn't big on the social link aspect or the personal stat "grinding." I also found Tartarus to be really boring after a time, with the floors barely differentiating themselves from each other and the layouts being randomized. I did like how the music built upon itself as you got higher though. The battle system felt like a step down compared to the press-turn system in prior games, although being without the ability to manually control my party members didn't help either. Overall, I like the game, but it doesn't stack up to the earlier games in the series in my mind.

Megami Tensei - I played this after MT2, but it still really impressed me, because it has the same kind of demon recruiting and fusion, but in a game that was released in 1987. It's quite a bit uglier than MT2, but still cooler looking than Wizardry, so it was enough for me to enjoy it. It isn't a very long game, but really cool either way, especially when compared to its peers.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Saturn) - I missed out on this game for a little while since I didn't buy a Saturn until later, and as a result I ended up playing it after Persona 1 and Soul Hackers. I think that may have reduced some of the impact of it being the first 3D Megami Tensei game. Putting myself in the mindset of its release period, I think it's a very cool take on the formula. The SMT series had dealt with the concept of armageddon many times in the past, but Devil Summoner kinda flips that on its head. Within the first several hours of the game,
your character dies
, and your world is turned upside down in a different way. Overall, I like it much less than Soul Hackers, but this is where the demon loyalty system started, which I always kinda thought of as an extension of the intelligence system in Dragon Quest 5.

Shin Megami Tensei If... - This is a really weird game. The "If..." in the title is basically saying "what if Tokyo had NOT been destroyed in SMT1?" and takes place in a high school setting that has been transported into the expanse. It's often cited to be the predecessor of Persona, although it is certainly quite different. At the time, I think the school setting was really novel, and I got pretty into it. But the reuse of assets from SMT1 and 2, particularly the music, really put me off. I also wasn't a big fan of the guardian system in the game, which lets you manipulate your stats when you die based on your guardian's relative stats to yours. It's a really weird/screwy system and I think it's one of the things looking back on the game that makes me not really ever feel like replaying it.

Devil Survivor 2 - There are some improvements in this compared to the first game, like the presence of the demon compendium and the vastly better music (thanks, Ito!), but overall I didn't like it as much as the first. The Fate system reeked of social links, I didn't like how tied to battle effectiveness it was. Storywise it felt really out of place in the franchise to me.

Last Bible 3 - Last Bible 3 is probably the only halfway decent game to come out of the whole Bible series. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I did have some fun with it, and I appreciated the way it gave you feedback on how your demon negotiations were going. When people ask me about this series, this is the one I recommend they play.

Last Bible - This is where Atlus hopped on the Dragon Quest clone bandwagon. There were a lot of these in the early 90s, and most didn't really do a whole lot to stand out. Last Bible probably would have stood out some with its demon recruitment aspect had it not come out the same year as Dragon Quest 5. At least it did have an actual negotiation system, even if it was totally nonsensical. In the end, it's fairly unremarkable and I don't consider myself a big fan.

Last Bible Special - This game was developed by Sega, and is a first-person dungeon crawler unlike the Dragon Quest style of the other games in the series. It's not a very interesting game, and I think that were it not on Game Gear without a lot of competition, it probably wouldn't have gotten very much attention in the first place.

Last Bible 2 - This game has virtually no interesting improvements over the first game, and the story is (IMO) fairly worse.

Another Bible - As I was writing this, I couldn't decide if I liked this more than Majin Tensei or not. It's a strategy RPG spinoff of the Bible series, set in the same kind of fantasy world. It doesn't have very much going for it for my tastes, but it isn't completely terrible.

Majin Tensei - The Majin Tensei games were Atlus's attempt to piggyback on the success of Fire Emblem and Famicom Wars, and frankly I'm not a big fan. It has really pretty battle art, I guess. Really disliked the way magnetite worked in the game, it's really easy to screw yourself over if you run out since it's constantly ticking away during battle.

Majin Tensei 2 - Moving on from the Fire Emblem influence, this game is more along the lines of Front Mission or Tactics Ogre with terrain bonuses and stuff. I'm not a very big fan of this game, either.

Shin Megami Tensei NINE - I admit that I only played this for a couple of hours, but what I did play of it didn't really impress me. It was supposed to be an online game, and I think the game design really reflects that. The areas feel kinda empty and "hubby," and the battles are real-time and your companions are AI controlled. The whole game feels incredibly cheap. It's not very fun, sadly, although it isn't quite the worst thing this franchise has to offer.

Giten Megami Tensei - This game is absolutely terrible. It was by far the worst Megaten-related thing I'd played for a good long while (see below, however). It was designed by one of the original designers on the Megami Tensei series, but somehow has none of the good things about those games. They also just threw in nudity for no reason, like a lot of other Japanese PC games of the time.

Ronde - This game is total garbage. It's another strategy RPG along the lines of Majin Tensei, but it's 3D and super ugly. I believe it came out before Shining Force 3, but it kinda reminded me of that, only considerably worse. It was developed by the same people responsible for Last Bible, and it shows. I admit I didn't play this game when it was new (1997), it was several years later that I tried it, so perhaps that really colored my impressions. I don't know. It does have fairly okay music and the setting is kinda novel, but that's about all I can say positively about the game.

Although I played the original Devil Children release (black book), I am not a fan of that franchise so I won't be including it here. I never really got into the whole monster capturing game craze despite trying several times with Pokemon, Devil Children, and Dragon Quest Monsters.

Oh, let me add that both SMT1 and 2 are totally worth going back and playing if you can stomach games like Nocturne and SJ. Absolutely worth it.

Aeana

I had a few errors in my post resulting from listing the games in order of release before reordering based on preference that should be sorted now. I know some of the original orderings were probably confusing, especially since some of my least-favorite games were higher up due to that.

Oh, let me add that both SMT1 and 2 are totally worth going back and playing if you can stomach games like Nocturne and SJ. Absolutely worth it.

"If you can stomach" :( That makes it sound so bad! They're so great.

I had a few errors in my post resulting from listing the games in order of release before reordering based on preference that should be sorted now. I know some of the original orderings were probably confusing, especially since some of my least-favorite games were higher up due to that.

"If you can stomach" :( That makes it sound so bad! They're so great.

They are, I just wish we can somehow get the iOS version of SMT to at least Android, if not Vita or 3ds :( You got to admit though, not everyone can take those frequent random encounters and pretty sizable maze dungeons...Hell, in SMT1, even the towns are basically maze dungeons! I personally love that stuff though.

The best part about IV is not knowing exactly how Tokyo was and being a little disappointed that the town exploration and the single big dungeon was like P3, but still having fun. then suddenly I go outside and this is some SMT ass SMT holy crap this is what I wanted so bad. I feel though that SMTIV's dungeon design would be absolutely perfect for P5. SMTV should have more complex dungeons though.

jackal27

Banned
1.) Person 4 Golden
2.) Shin Megami Tensei 4
3.) Persona 3 Portable
4.) Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
5.) Shin Megami Tensei

Those are the only ones I've played, heh. I really dig the series though. Still trying to finish all but one of these too... These games are freaking tough and huge.

Aeana

They are, I just wish we can somehow get the iOS version of SMT to at least Android, if not Vita or 3ds :( You got to admit though, not everyone can take those frequent random encounters and pretty sizable maze dungeons...Hell, in SMT1, even the towns are basically maze dungeons! I personally love that stuff though.

The best part about IV is not knowing exactly how Tokyo was and being a little disappointed that the town exploration and the single big dungeon was like P3, but still having fun. then suddenly I go outside and this is some SMT ass SMT holy crap this is what I wanted so bad. I feel though that SMTIV's dungeon design would be absolutely perfect for P5. SMTV should have more complex dungeons though.
I know lack of dungeon complexity is a common complaint for SMT4, but I guess it didn't really bother me. Perhaps it will whenever I get around to replaying it.

cj_iwakura

I know lack of dungeon complexity is a common coming for SMT4, but I guess it didn't really bother me. Perhaps it will whenever I get around to replaying it.

I loved their aesthetics, but the only one that was reminiscent of a Nocturne-tier dungeon was
Lucifer's Palace.

Aeana

I loved their aesthetics, but the only one that was reminiscent of a Nocturne-tier dungeon was
Lucifer's Palace.
No other games have dungeon complexity that compares to SMT3 either. SMT3 is a major outlier in many, many ways. So it doesn't bother me that much.

Chunky

1. SMT Lucifer's Call (Nocturne) (set the bar for the series)
2. SMT Soul Hackers (a sweet spot between dungeon crawling and story IMO)
3. Persona 3: FES (more dungeon crawling than P4)
4. SMT Strange Journey (if pure dungeon crawling and mapping is your thing then this one's probably your #1)
5. Persona 4 (enjoyable but a little easy compared to other games)

Haven't played SMT4 or the Devil Survivor games yet.

I know that feeling all too well :(

No other games have dungeon complexity that compares to SMT3 either. SMT3 is a major outlier in many, many ways. So it doesn't bother me that much.

It didn't bother me either, in fact I loved it. I loved exploring these places that seem like actual buildings in Tokyo for the most part, instead of Leon's Auto Plant which was a giant maze with pitfalls inside...of an auto factory. :p

Man I love Tokyo so much in SMTIV, it saddens me that a sizable chunk of players hate the overworld, cuz I loved it.

I do find it funny that the latest Persona (I know, its basically Half EO Half Persona) has more hardcore dungeons than SMTIV, but I don't mind either!
KyTr2UN.jpg

I hope Persona fans that try PQ and find they like the dungeon crawling give the other games in the EO and Megaten series a shot.

BTW, QUESTION PEOPLE. Pascal the Dog, or Koromaru?

I'm guessing side games other than JRPGs don't count, otherwise Persona 4 Arena is number 3.

Of the ones I've played:

1 - Persona4/Golden. I'd put this as my 3rd favorite JRPG of all time, after FF6 and Chrono Trigger. The school kid structure, how npc interactions tie into leveling, monster combinations, the music and presentation...everything is so stellar. More than anything it's the characters that make this one of my favorite games of all time.

2 - SMT3: Nocturne. The otherwordly presentation, the challenge and this being my introduction to SMT made this game very special. Just a phenomenal game.

3- SMT4. A fine follow-up to SMT3 and one of the best portable rpgs ever.

4- Devil Survivor. Other than the off-putting character art I really got into this SRPG for DS. Played through one ending, took like 50 hours.

5- Digital Devil Survivor 1/2. Played all the way through 2 and stopped at the final boss (I do that a lot in jrpgs lol). I don't remember much other than it being like Nocturne a bit but easier and more character focused.

I've played maybe half of Persona 3 on psp, 10 hours of Strange Journey, started up SMT1/2, an hour of Raidou.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is crazy underrated. Rarely is it shown amongst the top 3DS game threads. It really deserves the number at the end of its title.

thefil

And that's that, jeez that was hard. Time and replays will lead to things shifting but this is where I'm at right now. The only other games I've played are SMT: IF and Devil Children on Japanese PSN. No one's reading this livejournalish compilation but it made me happy collecting everything together. As long as this franchise exists in some form videogames are okay. The end.

I read it.

Taruranto

1) Nocturne: Probably the best Atlus RPG, I doubt they'll ever top this.
2) Persona 2: Innocent Sin: Story and characters wise is my favorite, but I gave Nocturne the top spot due to the mindblowing gameplay.
3) SMT: Strange Journey: Pure dungeon crawling experience. Not too much to say
4) DDS1-2: I liked DDS1 more for some reason, it had less "story", but the atmosphere was awesome even if the game never really takes off, plot-wise.
5) Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon: Dumb story but really, really fun gameplay
6) Persona 2: Eternal Punishment: It doesn't have the charm of IS, but it still pretty good
7) Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
8) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES: Admitelly, I don't think it's a pretty good game, gameplay wise. The only dungeon is a disaster, the battle system relies on the A.I and it's extremely dumped down compared to DDS/SMT3, pacing is all over the place... but I think it has its own charm, despite everything.
9)Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1/2: Not really a fan of both games. I played them, I liked them, but once I finished them I really didn't look back. Also DeSu 2 story is duuuuuuuuuuumb as hell.
10) Persona 4: It fixed the many gameplay problems of P3, but sadly not all of them. Dungeons still are terrible and the battle system is not on par with DDS/SMT3. Story is worse than P3 and it relies on pandering to the point of being obnoxious.
11) Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army: Meh.
12) Persona 1: The Snow Queen Quest is pretty short and... tollerable? I guess...

Don't feel like ranking either SMT1 or 2. I don' think either of them are good games, especially the dungeon design made of dead ends and empty rooms.

Sophia

I'd make a list, however Aeana largely summed up a lot of my feelings on the topic, even if I don't have the same experiences as her. That said, I'm rather fond of Persona 3 despite it's flaws.

BTW, QUESTION PEOPLE. Pascal the Dog, or Koromaru?

Koromaru merely summons Cerberus to do his bidding. Pascal is Cerberus. Pascal wins.

Faustek

Holy jebus, this was amazing to read. Everything I could have said or wanted to say just feels moot now. Jebus, just amazing.

You and Seda most be one of the worst offenders when it comes to character limitations(not complaining I like what/how you write).

randomkid

I'm just happy Aeana actually included Last Bible series and Giten Megami Tensei blurbs, I really wasn't expecting a follow through on that haha. I also learned something new about Ronde. One day I'll still give every game a shot because I have too many weirdly specific EMOTIONAL ties to this franchise but it's pretty cool to read about the games in the series that are garbage too.

PK Gaming

1. Persona 4: Golden

I don't really have to explain this, right? It's Persona 4! Atlus's runaway hit! The game that seems to garner LTTPs every other day, sequel after sequel... yadda yadda, etc, etc. P4G was just an incredible experience; it's a game filled with compelling characters, addictive gameplay, vibrant colours, and general happiness. And to top it all off, it's a game that just keeps on giving. I've played through this game 3 times (soon to be 4th) and i'm still learning new things about the characters, reading new bits of dialogue, seeing new scenes, and reevaluating my thoughts on the game overall. I don't feel any shame in saying that this game is straight up special in my opinion.

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV

I loved, love, LOVED this game, and that was mostly in part because of Neogaf. Playing through this game with Gaf has been an absolute terrific experience. I definitely wouldn't have gotten nearly as much enjoyment out of the game if I was playing by myself. I remember constantly checking my phone at work/school just to see what the other SMTIV players were talking about. It seemed like just about everyone was going at a pretty similar pace too, so you'd similar posts (I remember when a bunch of us got to Tokyo for the first time... bliss). The gameplay was really fun; it basically sacrificed balance for freedom and choice, and I was totally ok with that. (Though to the games credit, the game throws a lot of curveballs to keep things interesting, but it's still very much an easy game) Customizing your protagonist and building your ideal demon party was a heap of fun, and the ability to save anywhere cut down on the frustration. The game's cast was charming, but not without its flaws; Jonathan and Walter were aggressively mediocre, but Isabeau was fantastic and virtually all of the side characters were awesome. (Shoutouts to Nozoimi the photographer). To sum it up, this game was like an adventure! One minute you're exploring Naraku, and the next you're traversing Tokyo. Coliseum battles one day! Trekking through Shinjuku the next. Every day was its own reward, and I loved every minute of it.

(Does anyone remember when we all used SMT Demon avatars? Good times!)

3. Devil Survivor: Overclocked

My first SMT love... It was my first foray into SMT, so I really struggled with at first. Zio? Media?!? Why can't they just use terms like Thunder or Cure? Beldr?!? Why is there are superboss on the 3rd day!?!? I got the hang of it though. I beat Belder. I fused the right demons and cracked the right skills. Once things got going, I was absolutely enthralled with the game. I loved the premise, the characters were great, gameplay was amazing, tand the different routes actively encouraged multiple playthroughts. Eventually, I got burnt on the original game (I think I beat 3 routes the first time around). Cue Devil Survivor: Overclocked! An entire new day for several routes! New demons! New skills! Multiple save files! Even full voice acting. Believe it or not, this game was the main reason why I wanted a 3DS. I still haven't finished every path, but i make it a point to play through a route every year. I'm gonna 100% it one day!

4. Persona 3: Portable

Controversial opinion alert! Persona 3 Portable is here for one reason, and one reason alone. The Female protagonist path. Now don't me wrong, I've gotten over my P3 female protagonist is the best girl in the universe phase. Like, I don't think her path is inherently better than the male path. But her path is the reason why she changed P3 from being a good game to a "great" game for me. P3P makes it on here because its one of the rare few RPGs that lets you play as a girl. Like truly, play as a girl, and not some gender-swapped version of the male protagonist with a few dialogue changes. The entire game is changed from the ground up to accommodate that change. Social links are completely changed (for the better), the party dynamic between the group is completely and utterly changed. And it was just fun being on the other side, you know? Instead of fantasizing about girls, you were scoping out boys; instead of best friends being guys, you were shacking it up with your SEES sisters. It was totally different, unforgettable perspective from the male perspectives of P3/P4. P3 loses a lot in the PSP version (presentation, The Answer), but the gains (FeMC route and party control) were enough to make it one of my all time favorite megaten games.

5. Soul Hackers

Playing Soul Hackers was like tuning in to watch a Saturday Morning Cartoon. And I mean that in the *best* possible sense. It was just a freshingly straightforward; a group of hackers conspire to stop the bad guys. Along the way, you: Travel to a museum to fight a goofy musician summoner, cooperate with the unpredictable demon Nemissa, stave off an assassination attempt, enter VR to play PARADIGM-X, take on the baddest devil summoner around (Finigan), reconvene at the secret base to talk STRATEGY, experience poignant "vision" quests, go to a mall filled with pseudo-zombies, and take on the evil mega corporation, Algon. Each story beat was like a different episode. The gameplay was hella solid. Battles were quick and frenetic, and the random encounter rate was juuuuuust right. I was initially turned off by the fact that the protagonist couldn't learn magic or skills and the fact that demons used up Magicite, but I worked around it. After all, with APPs and your trusty GUMP, the protagonist ends up being an important factor in battle (even if Nemissa still mostly does the heavy lifting) To that end, the game really makes you feel like a real Devil Summoner.

Honorable mentions

SMT3: Look, I know this game is probably amazing. I just haven't beaten it yet...

Persona 1: If the gameplay was a little stronger, i'd love this game. As it stands, it's just a "pretty good" game with a solid narrative.

Zebetite

Banned
This is a really valuable thread to me, because I'm slowly beginning to delve into the deeper SMTverse and it's really exciting to see such a wide variety of opinions on the games I've yet to play. It will help me structure my SMT schedule accordingly. And shouts out to Aeana for the huge megapost!

So far, In order of perceived quality, I have played...

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

What a video game. Incredible atmosphere, art direction, and music. It's easy for the post-apocalypse as a setting to be a boring cliche, but Nocturne nails it with aplomb. I really liked the way they played with the idea of NPCs in RPGs who only exist to only convey a single piece of information by making them these weird spirit ghost things instead of human beings who ostensibly have other things going on in their lives. Nope, they're dead. This little bit of dialogue about seeing so-and-so go that-a-way is literally the only notable thing that's recently happened in their miserable sub-existences, so of course they're gonna talk about it to whichever half-human half-demon demon-subjugating merciless killing machine happens to speak to them. It makes the world feel empty and desolate without actually being either of those things. You're alone in this terrible place, but never at the expense of having environments be actually empty.

There were at least 10 moments in my time with Nocturne where, while clearing a dungeon, I had the intense urge to learn how to make video games so I could make an RPG with dungeons half as unique, fun, and cool as Nocturne's. The dungeons are gimmicky as heck, but the gimmicks are all employed to such an expert degree that you (or at least, I) don't really mind. It gives each dungeon its own character and involves you so much more than simply filling out a minimap just for completion's sake. It's strange to me that this is the core creative team who would go on to make Persona 3 and 4-- how on earth are y'all willing to put your names on games with such markedly inferior dungeon "design" (air-quotes because random generation) after putting out a game with such amazing dungeons? Persona 5 is probably my most-anticipated game right now, and Nocturne gave me one huge take-away hope for P5: God, I hope that Persona 5 has real dungeons.

I love the battle system. I love the way it's built around small, crunchy numbers (I will expound upon this when I get to my first SMT game, Persona 4.) I love the different options afforded to you by Press Turn. It was a battle system that was always simple enough that I felt I understood it and could engage with it, but at the same time had just enough min/max potential that I never felt like I had "mastered" it, as I was always making small tweaks to my strategies right up to the end of the game.

Persona 4

This was my first SMT game. I bought it on a whim because although I hadn't watched the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, I knew that Jeff and Vinny ended up being very fond of the game by the end of their time with it. Persona 4 thus existed in a strange place in my mind: it was a game that serious JRPG fans all stood beside as an example of recent-and-not-terrible JRPGs, and a game that people who don't give a shit about JRPGs (Jeff/Vinny/others) could also get behind. It seemed to be a game that anybody could like! Sure enough, so did I.

I bought it alongside a copy of Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, another PS2 game that I'd missed the boat on. I'd wanted to play ZoE2 for a very long time, both as a Kojima fan and as someone who derived some amount of enjoyment from the first Zone of the Enders game and had heard that the sequel was better in every way. Of course, when I bought these two games and got home, Zone of the Enders 2 was immediately inserted into my Playstation 2. I played it for about 3 hours, said, "Yeah, this is a cool video game!" and turned it off. On a whim, I decided to pop in Persona 4 to make sure the disc worked. I liked the opening movie and figured I had time to kill, so I decided to play it for a little bit.

I ended up playing it for longer than I had ZoE2, and it more or less consumed my summer life that year. I'd wake up, turn on Persona 4, play it until I realized it was 9pm and I hadn't eaten a meal all day, order a pizza, and continue playing Persona 4 until I went to bed at some ungodly hour of the morning, and repeat the whole process the next day. Other than the two days I worked that week, every day was spent doing this. It was the first game that made me forget to eat since I'd been a child.

It's a weird flip-side to Nocturne's atmosphere. I equally appreciate the aesthetic of Persona 4 to Nocturne's, I'll take its crazy hippie-on-a-good-trip pop art style alongside the bleak post-apocalypse of Nocturne any day. I love the musical stylings, too. It gave me very weird flashbacks to the Mother series (Sidenote: did you know that the entire soundtrack to the first Mother game was written as a series of pop songs with lyrics and vocals which were recorded/produced and then transcribed for the NES sound chip as the music you hear in that game?), like this was the sort of thing they'd have done all along if they'd only made their games for a DVD format.

What also came with it was my first exposure to a SMT battle system, which is easily my biggest take-away from the whole SMT experience. I love love love love love love love love love the "crunch" of the battles. The numbers are small and impactful. You're doing 30 damage to an enemy with 50 HP. If your strength goes up by one, it's a fair assumption you will now be doing 31 damage to that enemy, which means you have a very tangible 2% increase in your ability to kill that enemy and his ilk. Seeing big dumb numbers in the thousands in RPGs just bores me. I don't want to have to think about what dumb arcane math formulas took my already-stupidly-unnecessarily-high strength stat of, like, 200, or whatever, and subtracted from that an enemy's similarly-stupidly-high defense stat, and then added some weird dumb formulas to determine that my attack to the enemy did 3000 damage. I like the idea that if I looked up damage formulas for a game, and knew the stats of me and my enemy, I could accurately predict my damage output using only the calculator in my brain (which is not, itself, particularly great. I am no math wizard). I always feel that way with these games, though I don't know the damage formulas. Every action you take and every action your enemy takes feels like it could be hugely significant, like it could have been the turning point where one side of the battle is the definite loser. Everything clicks in a way that's so much more vital and exciting than most other popular JRPGs where you mash the attack command until the enemy falls down and save all your good magic for the boss.

I could probably ramble more about the battle system using words like "crunchy," "sticky," "clicky," etc, but I'll spare y'all.

I also love the weird time-management dating sim bullshit, though it often seems like I might be the only one. As a person who has never used a Social Link Guide and never will, I feel like the Social Link side of the game is tightly-tuned enough that it's almost completely impossible to max out everything on your first try without a guide. I like that a lot. It feels like you have a lot of potential options on a given day, and they're all the wrong choice. You learn various things about how this system works as the game goes on, and you employ that knowledge as you progress to get more efficient at hanging out with people. It's just a really neat way of gamifying sub-plot delivery. Maybe it doesn't lend itself well to repeat playthroughs and that's why I'm not seeing why it's such a bad thing for the series yet, who knows. I'm of the opinion that the flaws which do exist in the Social Link system are more indicative of how much more room it has to grow and get even better than they are of how inherently flawed and in-need-of-scrapping that the system is.

Persona 3 FES

I've already written way more than I wanted to, so I'll keep this one brief. I like Persona 3 a lot, just marginally less than Persona 4. It has some things that are better and some things that are worse. It's a less-tight package overall than P4 with way-worse Social Links and way less-exciting boss fights (full moon bosses are way too easy, tartarus bosses are way too simple). I like how the Social Link game is way more tightly-tuned, though. I consider P4 to be "almost completely impossible" to 100% on a first playthrough without a guide, while I consider P3 to be "actually completely impossible" to 100% on a first playthrough without a guide. I like the music more than Persona 4's, but only by a small amount. The characters are less immediately-likeable but are generally better-written and develop in more meaningful ways. I like how the entire game feels like a weird homage to Evangelion (I like Evangelion!). It's pretty dumb that you can't control your party, but people who act like it makes the game "unplayable" are big dumb babies. Tartarus sucks all the fucking way.

I tried playing Persona 3 Portable for the FeMC route and eventually got used to the reduced presentation aspects. It seemed like a great addition to the game (I liked the new music, too), but Tartarus was just too much of a slog to go through again so I dropped it at some point or another. I think after Chariot and Justice? It had probably just been too soon. Maybe I'll try again in a year or two. I'd also like to check out the stuff they've added in P4Golden one day. I've got a lot of SMT games to hold me over until I'm ready for those, though!

These three are the only games I have played to completion so far. I presently own physical copies of DDS1, DDS2, and SMT4; and digital copies of Raidou 1 and 2. I intend to pick up Soul Hackers and Strange Journey sooner or later. I am also interested in playing P2:IS and P2:EP, but probably a bit less interested in playing Persona 1 (i.e: I would rather play all of the above games first). I suspect I am going to play Digital Devil Saga very soon, while Nocturne is still fresh in my mind as A Superlatively Good Video Game.

gngf123

I dropped Strange Journey over a year ago and I don't like picking games back up, I usually replay them from the start. So I'm wondering what should I start SJ/SMTIV/RH? I was itching for a JRPG actually.

Depending on how much SJ you played before dropping it, I might recommend giving it another go. I actually dropped it after a few hours the first time I tried it, but went back to it nearly a year later and gave it another go. It became one of my favourite games.

If you got to say, Sector E before dropping it because you weren't really feeling the game much, maybe just go and pick up one of the other two instead. I like RH, but can't say much for IV since I live in Europe.

Brakke

Banned
Only three I played:

1. Persona 4 The Golden (Vita)
  2. SMT 4 (3DS)
  3. Revelations: The Demon Slayer (GBC)

They're... pretty different lol. I preferred the battlan and fusan from SMT 4, but Persona 4 is just such a special thing, gets that tilt.

I remember really liking that Revelations game, but it's been what, 15 years since I've played it? So.

Okay, gonna take a crack at this myself before I finish going back and reading everyone else's. Let's start from the top.

SMT3: Nocturne. It's hard to effectively describe how much I love this game. I spent my first few years on GAF kind of quietly mocking the Megaten series -- I'd played a bit of the original Persona in college and ripped into its laughable localization, and the boob-mouths and gratuitous Hindi in DDS felt like the definition of trying to hard. Nocturne wasn't my first entry into the series (see below for that), but it was what cemented my affection for Atlus and all things they do.

At the time, this game was still quite rare and expensive, and Y2Kev generously lent me his copy by mail. Once I started it this game consumed me like few others have. I spent hours upon hours fusing. I completed a 100% full compendium. I became a master of Press Turn. I crushed the boss of the True Demon ending, and all the optional bosses besides. The strange, uncanny atmosphere of this game caught my attention like nothing before (or since, really.) The story, better than any other game in the series, captures a sense that the universe outside is too big, too strange for you to ever comprehend. I still put the soundtrack on to do dishes.

Persona 4. That bit about games that consume you? This is another one. The odd schedule of this game blended in with my real life schedule to an uncomfortable degree. My wife and I were playing this at the same time so we got a bit of that alternate-universe feel going -- what was it like if you dated this girl? What about fusing these personas? I know people get sick of the music, but almost every track in this game is near and dear to my heart -- we have elaborate made-up misheard lyrics for the battle theme and most of the town themes. Something about that music, and the weirdly sunny tone, combined with a story that, however goofy it got, was ultimately about serial murder, left the whole thing feeling so unique that it wedged itself permanently into my brain. The gameplay improvements made it much more pleasant to play than Persona 3, too.

(I'm not actually going to rate P4A on this list; it's like the store-bought frozen dessert version of the dish you had at the end of an incredible dinner a few years earlier, or maybe the wedding cake you pull out of the freezer and awkwardly eat on your first anniversary.)

Digital Devil Saga. This is the actual game I got started on. I found the first game being cleared out at a Gamestop for $10. I skipped grabbing the second, I guess out of some foolish belief that there was a chance I might not care enough to get to it? I wound up finally getting a copy from RevenantKioku, who mailed it to me in the DVD case of a Japanese porn movie.

Oddly, I was actually pretty irritated with this game (I'm treating it as one game, because it really kind of is) while I was playing it. A lot of the interface is just a tiny bit slower than it should be. There are a few too many obnoxious insta-death demons. There's a dungeon right away that's the most tedious possible kind of hidden-pit maze monstrosity. It has the second-dumbest attract mode speech of all time (after Nier, of course.) What brings it so close to the top, ultimately, is just the storytelling, which still sticks with me. The characters manage a surprising depth given how little there is for them to work with; the bigger picture plot twists and bends expectations in a way that I found fresh and unique. When you pour that all over a sphere-grid-esque customization system and a sumptuous soundtrack it's more than enough to overcome some (pretty serious) rough edges.

Raidou 2. I bought this game when I didn't have a lot of money to kick around because I desperately needed a Raiho. (He's still sitting over my computer on my desk shelf.) This game was probably the best example of how much fun Megaten could be when it doesn't take itself too seriously. The cat, Victor, the bizarro sidequests, all the over-the-top NPCs... this game nails a certain kind of semi-episodic mystery drama-comedy that you don't see done well that often in games. The gameplay is able to back it up -- the way demon abilities can be used out of combat is fantastic, and something I'd love to see explored further, while the action gameplay is at least competent enough to not screw anything up. Plus it's got another ludicrously good soundtrack.

Persona 3. I actually preordered FES on Aeana (et al)'s advice and wound up getting it, I believe, shortly after I was playing through DDS1. I enjoyed this game, certainly, but it was really my wife's jam. The combination of dungeon crawling with calendar-based scheduling and dating mechanics scratched an itch I don't think she'd ever been able to qualify before. The story is just perfect goth anime bubblegum -- desperate and emotive in that way that, when someone gets it right, reminds you what it was like being a teenager. I find the gameplay here to have a lot of rough edges that Persona 4 mostly sands off, and the tone doesn't quite hit that same absurdity that wins me over with the latter game, but I still have extremely fond memories of P3 and appreciation for its supporting role in shepherding us into Atlus' nurturing bosom.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. It's EO x SMT. That's a winning combination for me, for sure. The upside is that it's got a great interface and a lot of excellent dungeon design, which kept me hooked for the 70 hours or whatever I spent with it. The downside is all the not-quite-there pieces that come with its not-quite-mainline status: the off-brand (and downgraded) replacement system for Press Turn, the thin plotting/worldbuilding, the lousy music, the uncharacteristically bad design on the final boss encounters. Nonetheless, it delivered on something I hoped for but didn't think I'd see.

Soul Hackers. This is one of those awkward middle-period games, with all the growing pains that come from the type of experimentation and confident expansion Atlus was doing in the 32-bit era. Ultimately what I really like about this one is just how much of an elegant small package it is -- it's got a big plot and interesting systems and lots of dungeons, but all in a 25-hour game that moves briskly and never tries to keep your attention a second longer than it has to. The cyberpunk theme is kind of charming in an embarrassing retro way in 201x; I don't know how it played when the game was new, but luckily it's still appealing with an ironic sheen today. All around a game I was happy to see finally see an official English release.

Devil Survivor. This game does a lot of stuff right I wouldn't have guessed before I had it in my hands -- nifty and compelling use of a scheduling system; a very clever integration of party-based combat with strategy RPG play; an alignment/ending system that is miles beyond everything else but Nocturne. I can't remember the last time I played a game and felt like the ending I got from the multiple-endings list was the right one for how I was actually envisioning and playing my character, but it works very nicely in this game. Its biggest issues are some grindiness (I did way too many free battles trying to crack random skills my guys needed) and the fact that it's just really visually and auditorially unappealing. This is easily the worst soundtrack for any Megaten game I've played and it brings the whole package down.

Shin Megami Tensei 4. I actually really enjoyed playing this game; I love the breathtaking choices in the setting, the return of Press Turn, and the enormous bank of demons to fuse. It has a level of polish for a handheld game from a small dev that I didn't expect after Atlus' DS efforts, and it makes a fantastic stepping-on point for new Megaten players. Plus, just the fact that it got made is a huge relief for anyone who worried that the younger generation of Atlus devs couldn't live up to their predecessors.

So why have I weighted this so low, you ask? This is ultimately an idiosyncratic ranking driven out of personal irritation, but the alignment system in this game is ultra-garbage. Law and Chaos are purposely (and not unreasonably) designed to be inferior ends to the "true" Neutral one. I didn't want to play with a FAQ open all the time, so I looked up a few important decisions and obsessively checked the indicator at the bar to see if I was straying off course. It turns out that despite playing it by ear, I was spot on -- unfortunately, too spot on. It turns out that if you get right in the very middle, you wind up in a place where the final choice before the branching point will force you into law or chaos, with no way to stay neutral. Having that happen killed all my momentum and I've still never been back to do the Neutral path, so ultimately it leaves me with a sour taste that doesn't reflect on the quality of the 60 hours that went before it.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Seeing this so close to the bottom might suggest that I didn't like this game, but far from it. The story is compelling, sliding with surprising ease from a personal story about truth and honesty into batshit insane cosmic Illuminati nuttery. The music is great (and refreshingly different for someone so used to Meguro on everything.) The volume of NPC dialogue is incredible -- probably too incredible, actually, given how hearing it all involves grinding momentum to a halt after every event to go find out what everyone's talking about. The combo spell system, combined with the turn system, is surprisingly strategic.

What holds this back for me are just all the ways it manages to make playing a chore. The cards system for Personas in this game is tedious. The contact system is neat conceptually but you get sick of everything when you're grinding for those cards. The battles still aren't fast enough. There are just too many of these awkward bits that I associate with PSX-era RPGs, especially in a game as long and elaborate as this.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. It's more Persona 2. The music is probably about equally as good. I like Maya/Tatsuya much better with the latter silent than the former. The card grind, if it isn't actually worse, at least feels like it to me. The reused dungeons start to wear thin, and the mapping rewards make the game even more irritating for a completionist. Mostly though I can't compare this apples-to-apples; I played the upgraded PSP port of Innocent Sin, but got stuck with all the loading times and functional but stilted localization that come with the PSX version of Eternal Punishment.

hoggert

Man, this has been quite the thread. So many great reads. Thank you all!

How's Strange Journey vs SMTIV?(and another note, should I play those vs Radiant Historia?)

SMTIV has some interesting gameplay designs that I wasn't too fond of, but the story and world are so much more interesting than SJ. SJ has a couple of "holy shit!" moments, but SMTIV's third act and the snippets of back story you uncover are insane. As Aeana said above, it's really commendable how brave SMTIV was with mixing up the formula. I'd go for SMTIV, mostly I've never been able to finish a SJ run I've quit halfway through, haha; too many systems to keep track of that are confusing to relearn.

Dugna

Since I only recently got into the SMT universe in the past 8 years....and for video games and how long they take to get made that's recently. My favorites are still

Persona 4 Golden
Persona 3 Portable
and Nocturne.

I own Raidou 1 DDS1/2 and P1 and P2IS/EP

Only games I don't and will probably won't own in the near future because of money constraints is most of the offside SMT games that are on DS and 3DS. I would love to try DS or Soul Hackers.

Well, I suppose I'll add my two cents.

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne - This was the second ever Megaten I played, and it's got the whole package: fun gameplay, cool atmosphere, great music, etc. The only real gripe I had with the game was learning skills for the MC as I didn't care for how skills were permanently forgotten, but it's not that big a deal.

Digital Devil Saga 1+2 - You can tune an avatar, but you can't tuna fish. DDS1 was the first ever Megaten game I'd played. Funnily enough, I picked up DDS1 because I in a Gamestop one day looking for something new to play, and it caught my eye. At any rate, DDS1 was the perfect intro for me as I had primarily played cinematic, cutscene heavy FF-style games. DDS2 was naturally a continuation of that.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - I liked this one a lot. It came at the right time for me as I was starting to have a greater appreciation of first-person dungeon crawls. I actually really like the music in this game, the problem was there wasn't enough of it (I was annoyed when certain tunes started to repeat). I agree with Aeana regarding demon co-op: I don't think they thought it through too well. Also, the final boss was ridiculous.

Shin Megami Tensei IV - I actually didn't care for this game too much at first. However, when I picked it up again, I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. No more hugs and kisses demon fusing was a gift from YHWH. The new demon designs are hit and miss: some are pretty scust, but others are actually pretty cool.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Subtitles - Wow, an improvement on the first Raidou in just about every way. The combat was fun and felt appropriately actionesque. This is how you do a sequel.

Devil Survivor 1 - I also liked this one quite a bit. It's only Megaten where I personally got all the alignment endings. The character design, particularly female, was fairly ridiculous (how the hell can Amane even walk in that thing?), and that same grating tune played very frequently, but I enjoyed the tactical combat nonetheless.

Soul Hackers - Hey, the world can always use more cyberpunk RPGs. The vision quests were cool, and we get that classic SMT gameplay.

Shin Megami Tensei 2 - I definitely prefer this over the first. I like YHWH speech about being resurrected over and over again by the will of the universe. In retrospect, I guess this game (and BoF2) were the precursors of the deicide movement that was so modish among JRPGs of the PS1/PS2 era.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin - I guess this and EP would be DDS before DDS. The mid-game revelation reminds me of a certain other RPG, but my GF made me forget what it was. Oh, and the PSP version was nerfed to hell and back.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - One of these days, I will finish this game. Like I said, this was DDS before DDS in a way. If I had actually bought this back in the day instead of admiring the weird, but cool cover art and then returning the box to the shelf, this might have been my introduction instead of DDS1. I did eventually pick up the game during a reprint several years back, but since I got only about 1/3 to 1/2 through, I can't otherwise comment.

Persona 4 - Pretty much an incremental improvement on everything in P3. While I liked P4 quite a bit, it focused on a lot of aspects that aren't as interesting to me personally as the elements of other Megaten games.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 - I don't have too much to say about this game as it's been a while since I played, but a certain late-game recruitment conversation with Cu Chulainn(?) had an interesting bit of Megaten lore which explains YHWHs speech in SMT2. I thought that was neat.

Persona 3 - It's definitely different compared to other Megatens, even to the previous Persona games. Ultimately, I did enjoy it, but see above.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Subtitle Army - Unfortunately, the game fell a bit flat, mostly due to the uninspired combat and other things which were vastly improved in the sequel. It had some nice callbacks to the SMT1 and 2 though.

Persona 1 - I know some folks love this game to bits, but even the PSP version feels so clunky, for lack of a better word. Also, the new music, while in and of itself good, nonetheless takes the atmosphere of the game into a dark alley and mugs it repeatedly.

Devil Survivor 2 - Honestly, I haven't even finished this one. The gameplay is similar to the first, but I didn't care for the half-SL system they put in there and the totally-not-Eva monsters. The kept the character designer, but at least they got better music this time.

The atmosphere, the graphical style, the music, the combat system, they're all so wonderful. I just love it to bits.

Great write-up of Nocturne. I know there's a certain segment of people that love SMT3 for its dungeons, but what I love is that those dungeons are optional. I personally found them overly cheap and rogue-ish in their difficulty, but maybe I'm just not good or lack the patience for dungeons with lots of traps and tricks. What I love is that I enjoyed Nocturne probably as much as you did even though I didn't finish Amala, because SMT3 gives you the freedom to focus on the parts of the game you like. I do wish it had a more expansive story and more NPCs with greater interactions, but they did use these limitations to great effect in building a stark, lonely world.

Probably because of my affinity for story, I think I enjoyed Persona 3 about as much, even though I agree that the dungeons got rather dull and too easy on higher levels. I actually had no problem with the AI characters because it felt more immersive to me (despite their dumb battle strategies). I think I probably felt closer to P3's characters than I have with any other RPG.

I really would like Atlus to take the Persona model and set it in an adult world a la Catherine. I do really like the characters in P3, but I would hate to see them retreading high school over and over, because it limits what they can do. Catherine showed me that they have the writing chops to tackle more subtle and complex problems of the adult world.

Alright, the ones Ive played ranked in order of what I most enjoyed to least... Iliked all of them though so don't take anything as hate.

1. Persona 3 FES
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Persona 4
4. SMT: Strange Journey

Also... I'd say objectively Persona 3 is first on my list because of nostalgia... the actual best game in the series is the fighting game.

Does Catherine count? If so, that's my number 3.

It's 5am and I'm tired as hell but I'll make a quick list, can't believe I didn't notice this thread before.

1. SMT3: What can I say that hasn't been said before, this game is the game that turned me into a SMT fan, I had already played some games of the series but I wasn't crazy about them until I played Nocturne. The atmosphere, music, gameplay, and story are just amazing. EVERY SMT fans needs to play this game.

2. SMT2: After finishing SMT3 I went back to play 1 and 2, I didn't enjoy 1 that much so I was worried that 2 would be the same... I WAS SO WRONG, I FUCKING LOVE SMT2, what a great game. Chaos for life.

3. SMT4: I love how this game felt like SMT2 with some awesome upgrades like the Turn Press Battle and the demon fusing being easier than ever, I really enjoyed the game.

4. Persona 3 Portable: FeMC is great, I wasn't a big Persona 3 fan until I played portable, such an awesome port.

5. Persona 2 IS/EP: EP was the first Megaten game I finished, so it holds a special place in my heart, IS was surprisingly good even if I played it many years later, these games might have my favorite story of the whole series.

6. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey: I loved this game, the music is great and it has a really interesting story, but I wasn't a big fan of how much it dragged on by the end, it feels like it should have ended sooner and fuck the final boss haha.

7. Persona 4: God bless being able to control my party members, that is all.

I've played more but those are the ones are my favorite ones. I have not played the DDS and Raidou games btw.

Seda

gotta keep this mod megapost trend going, Seda you're up.

Better late than never. This thread went up when I was in the middle of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, and I wanted to complete that before posting. Now that some time has passed…here we go.

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne

My first foray into the SMT series proper, and it hooked me in a way most games don't. I'm typically not one to care too much about aesthetics, atmosphere, mood, or things like that. I don’t usually value ‘immersion’ or whatnot. But Nocturne accomplished what very few other games have and soon enough I found myself engaged in this post-apocalyptic world in front of me. The game was stylish, fascinating, and hitting all these right notes right from the get-go. And that’s not even bringing the rock-solid battle system into account, or the addicting demon collecting and fusing. The game gives the player almost full control over how they approach combat by forming their own team of demons as well as a customizable main character. Sometimes dungeons were brutal with dead-ends and traps, but that only exemplified the tense ambiance of the game. Soundtrack is also pretty excellent. In a nutshell, this game excels in just about every facet, and it stands out from the crowd.

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Being able to build your own party is one of the most enjoyable parts of the series for me. Not only the capturing aspect by demon negotiation, but being able to fuse any number of demons in a large variety of ways – it satisfies the collector in me. Because the party is not pre-set in any way, it’s up to the player keep track of weaknesses, abilities, and attacks to try and keep a balance as you progress through the game so you can counter whatever is thrown your way. Press-turn centers itself around taking advantages of weaknesses, as well as control over stat buffs and debuffs, so noting what abilities you have available is something to always stay on top of. One aspect of SMTIV that I quite appreciated was the improved number of 'slots' you could get for demons. Most of the combat and other mechanics were just as good as I liked in Nocturne. However, there were a few things that I could have done without, such as 'smirking', which benefits the player for getting element effective hits. Just like with most menu based battle systems, planning your moves - attacks, heals, and buffs - and learning your enemies and how to counter them is key to success. A couple of changes were added to make the game more 'friendly', such as saving anywhere, picking abilities to retain after fusion, and allowing the main character to fall in battle. I don't feel too strongly about changes like that - perhaps it lowered the feeling of tension in the game, which could be seen as a negative.

Other aspects in which SMTIV differed from Nocturne include having a quest list that you could obtain at set locations, usually involving a fetching of items, or defeating a particular set of event battles. While I don't think the quests detract all too much from the game, I felt that it wasn't a useful addition. The narrative tone is quite different as well, SMTIV features a set of characters that remained with the protagonist/player for extended periods of time, which facilitated a more outward approach to the narrative.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

While I have some knowledge about the series, I have yet to play an Etrian Odyssey game. I’m not certain of the extent that Strange Journey emulates that franchise in structure, but I can say it really won me over with its maze-like dungeon design. And just like the two titles above this, the demon collection and fusion hooked me as well. While still pretty satisfying, combat gameplay fell just a tad short with the tweaks from more normal Press Turn style. I also enjoyed a fair number of the quests mixed in, some with interesting optional encounters and rewards felt - well - rewarding enough to be worthwhile. It also led to more reasons to navigate the maps thoroughly. All in all, I had a lot of fun with this game.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

I had heard several good impressions about this title from those familiar with the series, especially noting how much of an improvement it was over the original. I’m typically not one to skip games in a franchise if I can help it, though, so I only booted up Raidou 2 after slogging through the first title [see the bottom of the list]. The game opens up with a tutorial section much like its predecessor, and right away the improvements I had heard about were obvious. Likely the best first impressions for a direct sequel I think I ever had. You could use two demons in battle and the camera was so much better. Additions to combat like dodging and attack combos were very welcome, as well as faster movement both on the field and in battle. Demons no longer could be encountered in towns, and there was even a place to heal for free now. It really was improved in just about every way. Even dungeons were more interesting although the encounter rate was still a little high. Perhaps the only place it falls short it the storyline is kinda ho-hum.

Soul Hackers

Even though I had enjoyed what I had played of the series before picking up Soul Hackers, I was hesitant to start playing through the 3DS rerelease. I thought it would feel too old or too different, and I guess I wasn’t all too excited for it. But needless to say I enjoyed it a lot.

Soul Hackers uses a round-based battle system rather than a more usual press turn. Instead of deciding on each demon attack’s independently, you choose all the rounds actions and then the round proceeds in order of agility. On top of that, you have 6 participants in battle, two main characters and 4 demons, with a front and back row. This is the first SMT game I’ve played that had positioning matter in battle, even slightly, and while I don’t think I can say I prefer it or not to what other titles have, I did appreciate the contrast in gameplay. Demons have personalities now that affect their loyalty to the player in battle, depending on what you have them do. Some demons love to heal and some love to cast magic, etc. I didn’t really have much issue balancing a team of ‘personalities’ that worked. And on that note, this is the first SMT game I’ve played where demons do not gain exp, which felt awkward for a while, even though I am aware that this trait is shared in other older games in the series. ‘Fuse and forget’ is often a quick bit of advice given for SMT, and it is especially true here. Soul Hackers is a solid entry of the Megaten series with a fun setting, satisfying dungeon crawling, and nifty music.

One part of Soul Hackers that I especially enjoyed was cyberpunk-esqe style to the mood and narrative, as well as the characters in general. I think it really helped that there wasn’t the typical ‘Law’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Chaos’ ciphers blabbing at the player character. The companions that you spoke with felt more natural and believable than those in SMTIV. The story was slightly more interesting to me as well, maintaining a simpler focus.

The game is very short, which was slightly disappointing, and also felt too simple in a lot of ways. Soul Hackers falls a little in the ranking because I felt that demons in general were more secondary. Most of my damage output was done by the main character and Nemissa, and she also performed 80% of the healing. I usually used demons for buffs, but for the most part they were interchangeable. I felt like I didn’t need to be too careful about the demon line up because the main duo was so effective. Heck, the demons often felt like dummy targets just to keep the enemies busy and to keep the main characters free to act. In other titles, the selection of demons felt to have a much more immediate effect on the battles, and thus was more important to coordinate properly.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSX)

I played the earlier Persona titles after Persona 3 and Persona 4, and it’s kind of amusing how my experience with these older games changed my stances on the subseries. Persona 3 was the first I played, which I had a weird experience with, mostly due to its structure and style. The earlier games are somewhat more typical in some regards, which I don’t mean as a negative.

I’m not fully certain all the differences between the PSP and PSX versions of the Persona 2 games, but the interface in Eternal Punishment was better than Innocent Sin…slightly. It’s still the biggest issue I take with this game. Going through combat is extremely clunky with inefficiently used menus and menu selection. I sighed every time an encounter started with a demon chatting me up because going through the conversation dialogue was sluggish too. I don’t know if it was my imagination, but I think demons gave more tarot cards here than they did in Innocent Sin. I had less issue gathering those for Persona creation anyway. I did enjoy the dungeon design in the game, even if it partly was a retread of those found in Innocent Sin. In any case it’s much better than what was found in Persona 1 and the subseries games that came later.

Narratively speaking I think Eternal Punishment is one of the most interesting in the series as a whole, and while the cast may not be as fleshed out as those in the later titles, I think it’s still very, very solid. I wasn’t really expecting a Persona game to feature mostly adults, and I enjoyed many of the interactions, although I wish Maya would speak :/

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)

Mostly the same as Eternal Punishment, only with an even more clunky battle interface. Maya as a speaking character is a plus too.

Digital Devil Saga 1/2

Digital Devil Saga 1&2 are probably the games I’m most fluid with in terms of where it should be in this ranking. The battle system is just as great as it is in Nocturne. It has some pretty good characters and a plotline with a few interesting turns here and there. While there are no demons to recruit, you can adjust what abilities your characters learn based on a sphere grid-like system. I was only a little disappointed in the dungeon design.

I suppose the missing demon collection and fusion are at the moment pushing me to place it right around the center.

Digital Devil Saga has a great soundtrack, definitely one of the series best. Now that I’m thinking about it, as a more cinematic, character, and storyline focused SMT title, I guess DDS did a good job accomplishing that while maintaining most of the core elements of the series.

Persona (PSP)

Going into the Persona PSP game after playing P3/P4, I was already aware of a few of the differences to expect in the original game. I also had a number of acquaintances who absolutely loathed the game, but a few who were much more positive to it. I tend to be pretty good at adjusting my mindset when approaching ‘older’ titles, so I kind of expecting to be a little bit more positive towards the game than some.

There was one thing I wasn’t expecting though. Shortly after getting past the opening parts of the game, I realized I could adjust the Personae on any of the party characters. This is a big deal to me, as I mentioned near the top, building and managing my own party is one of the most enjoyable parts of the series, and this is …. sort of the same anyway! Unlike Persona 3 or 4 where certain characters were more useful than others, or needed to be swapped in at proper times, giving me the task to manipulate personae allows me to determine the usefulness of characters – to some extent anyway.

Another thing I welcomed was some honest-to-goodness dungeon design. It wasn’t very good at this point (it was significantly better in the sequels), but it was there! Turns out, I did not miss the social links much, nor the calendar structure, nor the randomized dungeons. The structure, progression, and storyline of the game worked just fine as is. Persona 1 kind of reminded me of Soul Hackers at times. I ended up blitzing through most the game with not too many issues until I hit a brick wall at the final boss (SEBEC route). I had to spend some time gaining levels and improving my personae, but it wasn’t a big deal.

The one thing about the title I did not like much at all was how experience points were distributed to the party members. What ended up happening is I would summon a strong persona who could damage many enemies at once, and the character wielding that persona would get a disproportionate amount of EXP. I had to shift persona around regularly to keep my party levels fairly even, and that management wasn’t enjoyable. The encounter rate, especially on the world map, is atrocious. Once I found an Estoma demon, he fast became my best friend.

I’m mostly indifferent on the Demon conversations, although after playing the Persona 2 duology, I think I recall it being less time consuming in the original.

Persona 4 (+Golden)

Persona 4 improved over Persona 3 in a few ways, including incorporating party social links into some of the combat aspects for party members. Getting ‘sick’ was a thing of the past, and there was more than one dungeon to explore, although they still consisted of randomized floors. Combat was mostly the same, although of course you could control the whole party this time around. I guess I don’t have much to say on this. I do think it’s a solid game and at one point I listed Golden as my game of the year in 2012, but I think I’ve soured on some aspects of the game a bit, especially after playing the earlier titles.

I wasn’t really a fan of the Scooby-Doo narrative style or where the plot decided to go, but I do think the cast of characters is pretty well done.

Persona 3 (FES)

My first ‘SMT’ title and I had a unique experience with this one that I typically don’t have with entertainment things. To preface, usually I’ll play a game start to finish, no matter how much it’s ‘hooking’ me or whatnot. I try to get the full picture before framing my impressions. Additionally sometimes have a habit to go into games blind (as in, no prior knowledge as to what I’m getting into) which was probably not the best idea for Persona. I got into Persona 3 around 2010, a little bit after Persona 4 got some great word-of-mouth, which is how the series appeared on my radar in the first place.

The structure in Persona 3 was so darn weird and not at all what I expected. The calendar structure, the visual novel-esqe elements, the randomly generated tower floors… It rubbed me in all the wrong ways. I didn’t /get/ it. I had no idea why people liked it. And such - I quit - something I rarely do. Persona 3 still the only game I have ever returned back to the store a few days after purchasing. I hated it, and I’m pretty sure I called it the worst game I ever played at some point.

Around a year later I saw Persona 3 FES at a different game shop I happened to stop in one day. I suppose I regretted not giving the game a fair shake, so I decided to pick it up again, this time having a much better idea what I was getting into. And the second time around, I enjoyed the game quite a bit more. The turn based combat was paced fairly quickly, with a focus on elements and buffs. Developing the personae to use was fun, and social links did allow the characters to be more fleshed out than they typically are in this genre. However, he dungeon crawl was tedious, and getting ‘sick’ wasn’t too much fun. I suppose I also appreciated the ways it wasn’t to typical compared to other JRPG I had exposure to at the time (remember this was my first experience with SMT at all).

I never took much issue with the AI controlled teammates, for the record.

Devil Survivor Overclocked

Honestly, this game was probably the one title in this list I had most trouble with. While I never really found any of the other titles too difficult or unfair, I recall some of the levels/objectives in Devil Survivor actually frustrating me a bit. I liked how it combined a turn based like combat with the SRPG grid. I was not a fan of story or characters. While it’s near the bottom of the list here, I generally liked the game, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as other SRPGs in other series.

I think out of all the games, this is the one I want to revisit most, see if I have a better experience the second time around.

Devil Summoner: Raidou vs the Soulless Army

Really, the only game in the series I struggled to derive enjoyment from in some fashion. Usually, even in titles that disappoint me, there is some specific aspect I can latch onto to as a worthwhile part that has merit or is worth focusing on, but there wasn’t much here for me. The cool jazzy OST alone wasn’t enough to make up for a tedious encounter rate, clunky combat encounters, drab dungeons, sluggish field movement, etc. While I can appreciate Atlus trying a new style with the real time combat, it definitely had a rocky start here.

I have never played any of these games. Hell I didn't even know Shin Megami Tensei and Persona were the same series. What makes these games so good/special? What are these games about?

Clov

If I had to rank what I've played through, it would be:

1) Nocturne
2) SMTIV
3) Soul Hackers
4) Persona 4
5) Persona 2: Innocent Sin
6) Strange Journey
7) Persona 3
8) Devil Survivor

Nocturne and IV are both amazing games in every way. Ultimately I like the ideas in Nocturne a bit more than IV, since I found them a little more interesting than just "chaos, law, neutral". I mean, there were even several possible neutral endings. That was great! The presentation is a bit better too. IV is still great though.

Some people might be a bit confused as to why I ranked Soul Hackers so high. I guess I just really loved the cyberpunk atmosphere. I liked fusing demons on the go, too!

Still need to play the rest of the PS2 ones, but thankfully I have copies of them! I'm planning on going through them, starting with DDS, after I replay Nocturne.

Edit: I've played Persona 4 Arena as well, but... I don't think it's really fair to rank it. It's a fighting game, I can't really compare it to a bunch of RPGs! To its credit, it's the only traditional fighting game I'm decent at.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

While I have some knowledge about the series, I have yet to play an Etrian Odyssey game. I’m not certain of the extent that Strange Journey emulates that franchise in structure, but I can say it really won me over with its maze-like dungeon design. And just like the two titles above this, the demon collection and fusion hooked me as well. While still pretty satisfying, combat gameplay fell just a tad short with the tweaks combat gameplay from more normal Press Turn style. I also enjoyed a fair number of the quests mixed in, some with interesting optional encounters and rewards felt - well - rewarding enough to be worthwhile. It also led to more reasons to navigate the maps thoroughly. All in all, I had a lot of fun with this game.

if you liked Strange Journey I would definitely check the EO games out. Its more of a classic party building system, but for as much as I enjoyed SJ the more recent EO games are just more polished

Great thread by the way! As someone who's only played SJ and Devil Survivor (and dabbled in Persona titles at friends houses) this is really interesting to read

Verder

1. Shin megami tensei Nocturne : game was just amazing in every way. From fighting fiends to angels it just made you feel youre a badass.

2. Digital Devil Saga 1+2- dramatic story and fun battle system . characters were great and all had their own story to tell.

3. Raidou Kuzunoha Vs king abbadon - great gameplay mechanics but felt limited in certain ways.

4. SMT IV- felt the battle system should of been full 3d. It would of been crazy with the boss battle music going. I wish they gave a little more variety with endings .

5. Persona 2- great story with a dark setting and nice villian. I hope for a 3d remake.

6. Persona 4- fantastic game in every way . will p5 be just as good?

ohlawd

*Bottom tier
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 3 FES/Portable

probably the worst games I've played in the series but weirdly, they're the funnest I've had overall. dem social links. I always whine about One More but man, so mind numbingly dull. Not even gonna touch those dungeons.

*Okay tier
Persona 2: Innocent Sin - I can't remember anything about this game >_>

Soul Hackers - nice simple game with just as easy dungeon crawling. Decent enough story and characters. Has my favorite demon negotiation. Why? Because it's easy. I actually like demon negotiation and it's not really about it being easy or not; it's just less frustrating when you nail the contract on the first go.

*pretty good tier
Strange Journey - just because. I haven't finished it yet. I'll start over when I feel like it. Has the best dungeon crawling from what I've played

Devil Survivor 2 - cut down social links. the upgraded demon skills are broken. They're extremely broken. Couple those with Multistrike.... yikes. I enjoyed the characters here better than the ones from the first. Probably because I see them as people who approach the situation they're in more realistically than the first cast.

Digital Devil Saga 2 - it's like DDS1 but worse in every possible way. Extra points for Press Turn

*awesome tier
Nocturne - this game... this game! Didn't find myself stuck in a high most of the time. some of the linear dungeons (those corridors) were a bit too dreary for me but it makes it up with the actual real dungeons. Press Turnnnnnnnnnnn

IV - it's so unfortunate how the game took a nosedive in difficulty. I would have liked that even if it would have lead me to crying out in frustration. Press Turn. Man, it feels like I'll give any game high points if there's Press Turn. I normally don't care for a narrative but I enjoyed progressing in the story and seeing what'll happen next between the MC and his former teammates. I like this better than Nocturne for those reasons alone.

*Goddess tier
Digital Devil Saga 1
Devil Survivor Overclocked

my two favorites and the best games I've played thus far.

So yeah, DDS1 is basically DDS2 with its goodness turned waaaaaaaay up. DSO is... I don't know but it's definitely my absolute favorite in the series. I've made numerous playthroughs and every run feels like it was my first.

Nimby

Banned
I have all the of the games on my PS2, but I haven't gotten around to them.

1. Persona 4: Persona 4 may be my favorite game of all time. It excels at everything, the only problem that hinders it in some way is the reverse learning curve, and maybe dungeons. Strangely, having played Persona 3 before Persona 4, I had a feeling that Persona 4 would not live up to my expectations, but was very surprised at how solid this entry was, it completely outclasses Persona 3. When I get a Vita, I'll get Golden, and replay in a year from now.

2. Shin Megami Tensei 4: I was turned off by the 2D sprites at first, but this game has a lot of charm. Bonus points for press-turn battle system, which is the funnest, most challenging turn-based battle system that I have encountered, beats standard Persona 4 turn-based any day. However, I found this game to be easier than Persona 4, everything has a weakness to exploit, and it seems like the developers didn't realize players would 'heavily' exploit them.

3. Nocturne: I'm still at the beginning of this game, but it's already a lot harder than SMT IV and Persona 4. Dungeons are actually good and fun to explore. I like it better than Persona 3 so far, and Persona 3 was still a really good game.

4. Persona 3: My first SMT title. I was addicted to this game, nostalgia aside, I think this is probably the weakest title I played. Characters are boring, AI party members provide some 'fake difficulty' and is outclassed by full party control, dungeoning is tedious and the 'tired' mechanics provided some frustration, But I still loved it, I will remember the cast fondly, even though Persona 4's cast completely slaughters Persona 3's.

Have but not played:

DDS 1 and 2, and Raidou 1

Will buy soon (right now actually):

Strange Journey (dat battle theme)

Mortemis

Banned
Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. Really great reads all around, I'm really happy about the consensus of Nocturne being the best too. Truly a wonderful game. I'm pretty new to the SMT series, didn't start until last year actually. I kept on hearing about this Persona golden game on forums like gaf, and when I looked it up I saw that it was a ps2 game, and since I was already playing through some old ps2 games, I ordered P4 and started it all out. I'm only starting to get really into this game series, but here's a list of what I've played so far.

1. SMT III: Nocturne: So fucking good, there's nothing in the SMT franchise that comes close to this game for me. There's really nothing I can say about this game that hasn't been said before, really good posts going into depth about this game. I can say though that this game was one of those games that really sucked me in. The atmosphere was truly something remarkable, the story grabs you and keeps you interested, and it all gives you a sense of a world really being greater than life. The combat system is as much as I could ask for in a turn-based system, really fun. It's just that good of a game, easily in my top 10 favorites of all time. Just love every bit of it.

2. SMT IV: Truth be told, I didn't find this game all that great when I first played through it. I was expecting another Nocturne, and it wasn't able to reach that high at all. The beginning was brutal and rough, but after that I didn't get any sort of hooks at all, I wish it didn't dip so low in difficulty after that beginning. The combat was great but I ended up being stuck at many places lost because of the poor navigation in the game, and had to look up help to get through some parts. This game really came together in further playthroughs. I really enjoyed the OST, fucking amazing I tell you. The atmosphere, while not as good as Nocturne, was still wonderful in this game, especially the dungeons which I really enjoyed. They were short but really great and fun. Demon negotiation was something else, recruitment was pretty fun. Fusing is great too. The story itself was pretty disappointing, especially coming off of Nocturne but a neutral run was most enjoying. Loved this game a lot.

3. Persona 4: The game that started it all off for me in the SMT franchise. The magic was there from the start, the game had an incredible cast, intriguing story, and everything came together so well, it really is a definite example of the sum being greater than it's parts. At one point I really thought this was my favorite game, it just hooked me in that well. Sadly, the game doesn't really hold up after another playthrough, with that certain magic fading away. The flaws were more and more apparent the more I played it, with the dungeons being pretty bad and the combat being nothing special. The game is still pretty great, just not all that I thought it to be. I'm extremely excited for Persona 5 though, atlus has obviously done some great games and I'm sure they can improve this series even more just like they did with Persona 3 to 4.

4. Demon Summoner: Soul Hackers: Just recently finished this up and I loved it as well. Really liked the cyber-punk theme going on.

5. Devil Survivor: Overclocked: Recently started this up, while I'm taking a break I really enjoyed what I played already.

6. Persona 3: FES: Played this after Persona 4 and it really is a downgrade (or well, P4 is a upgrade). The cast was fun but everything else just felt pretty mediocre. I hear that P3P is a step up with full control over the party, I'll give that a go once/if I ever get a vita.

7. Strange Journey: This game sounds great and I get that people really enjoyed it, but I just can't get into it. People compare it to EO and that's another series I just couldn't get into. I'm just not sure what exactly turned me off, the dungeon designs from what I see are spectacular and there really isn't much mediocrity that I could see, but I'll give it another chance some other time.

I still have a long ways to go with this series, but it's already one of my favorite series. And reading through posts in this thread is a great guide on keeping up.

randomkid

Better late than never. This thread went up when I was in the middle of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, and I wanted to complete that before posting. Now that some time has passed…here we go.

That's what's up, nice summary! Who do we go for next, Y2Kev maybe?

And Aeana, forgot to ask about your thoughts on Shin Megami Tensei: Online. Also if you've ever played that weird Telenet version of Megami Tensei for Japanese computers.

I like that this thread is bumped because I just finished up Soul Hackers today and I might have some thoughts that need writing up somewhere, it's such an interesting mix of various Megatens. Maybe wait until I beat Megami Tensei: Old Testament too, I can't believe that when this thread was first up I thought it would be years away!

Top Bottom