• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's rank the entire Shin Megami Tensei franchise, because why not

Aeana

That's what's up, nice summary! Who do we go for next, Y2Kev maybe?

And Aeana, forgot to ask about your thoughts on Shin Megami Tensei: Online. Also if you've ever played that weird Telenet version of Megami Tensei for Japanese computers.

I like that this thread is bumped because I just finished up Soul Hackers today and I might have some thoughts that need writing up somewhere, it's such an interesting mix of various Megatens. Maybe wait until I beat Megami Tensei: Old Testament too, I can't believe that when this thread was first up I thought it would be years away!

Yes, I've played the PC version. I actually played it before MT2, because we had a MSX computer before we had a Famicom. I tend to not count it as an 'RPG' because it's more like Gauntlet. I don't like it at all.

As for SMT Online, I never got around to trying it.

randomkid

Yes, I've played the PC version. I actually played it before MT2, because we had a MSX computer before we had a Famicom. I tend to not count it as an 'RPG' because it's more like Gauntlet. I don't like it at all.

As for SMT Online, I never got around to trying it.

Yeah, I was thinking about that game after reading a little blurb about it in the free preview of that Untold Games book. According to the Telenet person that was interviewed, both Namco and Telenet got licenses for the book around the same time, and each publisher decided to go with the opposite of what was popular at the time for each system for some reason. Which is why the RPG ending up on consoles and the action game ending up on computers was kind of funny.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I was thinking about that game after reading a little blurb about it in the free preview of that Untold Games book. According to the Telenet person that was interviewed, both Namco and Telenet got licenses for the book around the same time, and each publisher decided to go with the opposite of what was popular at the time for each system for some reason. Which is why the RPG ending up on consoles and the action game ending up on computers was kind of funny.

If we're talking about Imagine, I liked it. It was my first MMO, so maybe I was ignorant of the MMO trappings, but the atmosphere and OST were pure SMT. Story wasn't bad either.

The gameplay had nice ideas, like real time gun/melee/magic combat paired with a command-driven demon partner, but weak execution.

Gamerloid

Thread is truly going to help me decide what SMT games to pick up next. So far I only played Persona 4 (beat), SMTIV (beat), Devil Survivor Overclocked (beat), and P3P (on hold).

My favorite so far is definitely SMT IV. The atmosphere, turn press (or press turn as I see others call it), the characters and story really made for an excellent game. The music was also grand and I really enjoyed almost everything about it. Well, except all the side quest for the neutral path.

Next is Devil Survivor Overclocked. It really did feel like everyone would puris has time went on. I also enjoyed the whole system, except how it can be broken in the later parts of the game. Characters were great, and there's so many endings!

Persona 4 comes next, and was my first game in the series. Enjoyed the cast, the symbolic bosses, and the plot twists. Suffers from bland dungeons and the focus on school life and social links. Persona 4 Golden makes the game overly easy to me. I perfer stock P4.

Persona 3 Portable is last, and currently on hold. The story is interesting, but the pacing is so slow. Tartarus is a chore, school and social link is a chore, full moon is what I like. Tartarus is the same thing over and over. Social Links are so random compared to Persona 4, but at least once again the main cast is alright.
-----------------
I understand that from this thread, Nocturne should obviously be my next purchase. I wanted to wait for Devil Survivor 2 Brake Code, but I have no clue when that's coming. Since the first 2 (or 3) Persona games work differently from today's games, I'm willing to put them higher on the list.

Top Bottom