• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I don't think it ever was related to her pregnancy tbh and even chapter 19 confirms it was something else entirely. Maybe it was the BF wanting revenge? but why when he could just avoid her.

That's what I'm saying. I more meant that her death is unrelated to the pregnancy route entirely. She doesn't get pregnant, doesn't get the botched abortion, doesn't sleep around, etc. but is still on a route that ends with her dying.

Though perhaps it's more literal with his whole "Because I didn't save her" line and this was all along just about him being a better person that would try and save her from getting murdered.

Smutterfly Effect

That's what I'm saying. I more meant that her death is unrelated to the pregnancy route entirely. She doesn't get pregnant, doesn't get the botched abortion, doesn't sleep around, etc. but is still on a route that ends with her dying.

Though perhaps it's more literal with his whole "Because I didn't save her" line and this was all along just about him being a better person that would try and save her from getting murdered.

Perhaps, though it seems more like save her from everything bad :p

Also I wonder if its like a Final Destination thing (although not a repeating one if we were to assume a good ending) where due to alterations her death would still happen but in some other way instead?

dani_dc

Prison School 134

Seeing Chiyo doing Sumo moves was unexpected and awesome, I'd watch more Sumo if it looked like that in general.

Poor Gakuto, no one wants to hear about his stories of being abused.

Zweizer

Banned
Himitsu no Recipe ch8-9

The change of Wakatsuki's character is rather amusing to watch. I like how she is aware of it too. The president still can't seem to get a clue though.

those series have similar wonky like designs though while the other is realistic sketch work

Monster? Death Note?

dani_dc

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome 55-91

Aoshima actually dated Wagatsuma, now that was shocking to see, thankfully the relationship failed, as it was obviously built upon nothing but lies and obsessions.
Sylvia unfortunately mostly disappeared after those two started dating, but we had lots of Itou Ran to make up for that.
Ran actually went ahead and changed herself for the sake of Aoshima, and tried to help him out with his issues, and then Aoshima declines her because he's still obsesed with Wagatsuma, that was painful to see.
Good for Ran though, she clearly deserves better than Aoshima, and she managed to start overcoming her social anxiety issues.

I'm curious to see the next coming chapter, I'm thinking it might be a fake out and the teacher just knows about the "time-slips" because one of the other students told the teacher about it.

It was amusing to see Aoshima realizing that he had no idea what to do in the future in terms of work, that's another issue that would had been solved if he had went down the Ran route!

survivor

Banned
Children of the Sea vol 5 End
JdR2HmZ.png
Last volume was great, Igarashi went all out with the art giving some nearly 200 or so of pages with almost no dialogues, just showing off his skills in drawing some very imaginative underwater scenery and showing his ideas of the creation of the universe and life. Which seemed fitting for the story, no explanations were needed, not even the main characters knew exactly what happened but they were just there for the ride and the thrill. Some of the world's origin myths told throughout the story have been very creative, my favourite was the one involving the giant bird that lost the rock which was the source of all the water of the world. It kept using its thousands eyes every night, basically the stars, looking to retrieve the rock.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what's so smutty about Smutterfly Effect? It seems mostly just amusing so far based on what a big loser the murderer friend guy is.

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome 55-91

It was amusing to see Aoshima realizing that he had no idea what to do in the future in terms of work, that's another issue that would had been solved if he had went down the Ran route!

Eh would have been crappy but at least he would have one (and it would be way better than his depression route which made him lose his little sister's college money)?

And i'm not sure what job he was doing on Wagatsuma's route tbh

So what's so smutty about Smutterfly Effect? It seems mostly just amusing so far based on what a big loser the murderer friend guy is.

it was more the MC remembering having these one night stands with the girls but that has stopped happening for a while now.

scy

Perhaps, though it seems more like save her from everything bad :p

Also I wonder if its like a Final Destination thing (although not a repeating one if we were to assume a good ending) where due to alterations her death would still happen but in some other way instead?

Maybe. It's probably that or the cause of her death was never solved. Like, what if it's some random stalker unrelated to basically everything else that has happened?

or we have another big plot twist and this is a loop within a loop for someone else wait that's the wrong manga

It got the nickname originally since the first few chapters had the few scenes of him remembering his first time through High School of having sex with every girl.

After that, it's pretty much non-smutty entirely.

how does a animation studio lose a manga license?

An example is a "said" studio ends animating a "said" Anime... does the studio still own the license? and for how long?

Can another studio take the license is they try and buy it?

dani_dc

Eh would have been crappy but at least he would have one (and it would be way better than his depression route which made him lose his little sister's college money)?

And i'm not sure what job he was doing on Wagatsuma's route tbh

Hard work and long hours, but at least he would be helping someone acheive his dream and doing something meaningful, and absolutely better than the depression route (why was he even allowed to use his sister college money to begin with?)-

They never made it clear what job he was doing on the other routes (or if he even had one), with his grades I'm imagining he was mooching off Wagatsuma career.

Soma

I never thought that nickname fit that series well.

I do like the other nickname that didn't catch on as well unfortunately: "Steins;Fedora"

Zweizer

Banned
Himitsu no Recipe ch10-14

The training camp arc was surprisingly lengthy, but at least the resolution came.

I have to wonder if grasshoppers taste good. I'm not putting those into my mouth though.

how does a animation studio lose a manga license?

An example is a "said" studio ends animating a "said" Anime... does the studio still own the license? and for how long?

Can another studio take the license is they try and buy it?

Animation studios don't "own" a license to adapt a manga. The manga publisher contracts out to a particular studio and director, so it's always up to the publisher to determine who gets to handle a manga adaptation.

Children of the Sea vol 5 End

Last volume was great, Igarashi went all out with the art giving some nearly 200 or so of pages with almost no dialogues, just showing off his skills in drawing some very imaginative underwater scenery and showing his ideas of the creation of the universe and life. Which seemed fitting for the story, no explanations were needed, not even the main characters knew exactly what happened but they were just there for the ride and the thrill. Some of the world's origin myths told throughout the story have been very creative, my favourite was the one involving the giant bird that lost the rock which was the source of all the water of the world. It kept using its thousands eyes every night, basically the stars, looking to retrieve the rock.

One of these days I will finish it!

Hard work and long hours, but at least he would be helping someone acheive his dream and doing something meaningful, and absolutely better than the depression route (why was he even allowed to use his sister college money to begin with?)-

They never made it clear what job he was doing on the other routes (or if he even had one), with his grades I'm imagining he was mooching off Wagatsuma career.

I have no idea but it was pretty pathetic. Maybe the supposed payout was enough to convince them (his parents and/or her) and then it crashed and burned.

I think he would at least have one if Silvia's route is any indication (unless that naked apron was a one off thing) but yea it was never clear. They showed Wagatsuma's iirc.

I never thought that nickname fit that series well.

Actually it did since the Butterfly effect was a thing that was happening and it was also mentioned by characters in the book. Smut was added due to the earlier smut.

smutterfly effect cause butterfly effect is popular and it has a bit of smut i guess

that's pretty much what it was.

Shouta

So they're doing another GTO, eh? Fun. Just caught up with the 9 chapters of Paradise Lost that are out there. It's the usual antics but with that twist. =o

kasane

im re reading smutterfly effect again cause i forgot where i left off

now i need to actually find a smut that don't have a potential bad end

Prison School ch135-136

I hope Chiyo will go yandere. That's the only way for her to be able to rival Hana.

I hope not since that would be boring having 2 of them.

Needs some diversity for the "harem" :p

So they're doing another GTO, eh? Fun. Just caught up with the 9 chapters of Paradise Lost that are out there. It's the usual antics but with that twist. =o

they are even doing another spinoff but with his friend Ryuuji this time. The universe is getting milked for all its worth apparently.

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo 869-880

My oh my oh my, what an unusually irritating read this is so far. Ippo can apparently deal with the damage of the unusual punches he's received so far because he's always expecting to get hit by counters like he would with Miyata. Ippo, I hate to mention this again, but this is not Miyata. You whiff, Wolly punishes. Miyata's counters are very different because they come at you mid-punch rather than after. But whatever.

Now one good thing here is that Ippo takes notice of Wolly's jumping habbits. Backward hops to the left, following is possible if you predict the trajectory and then dash. Getting more aggressive now, Wolly does a smash that separates Ippo's guard from just the right angle (bullshit!), then the god damn flicker jabs. Not just any makeshift flicker jabs, oh no, he takes the fucking stance and everything. At this point it was crystal clear that no matter how technical the fight could suddenly get, I'd never like Wolly as a boxer.

I can't still make myself hate the relationship he has with his second Miguel. You can just see the spark in Miguel's eyes as Wolly gets new situations to experience and learn from thanks to Ippo being more challenging than the fights that came before. Even as during the next few moments, Ippo keeps moving Wolly to the corner without Wolly realizing it, Miguel decides not to tell his boxer this because he wants Wolly to figure out his own way of dealing with it. This is a time to learn, not to win, although Miguel's extremely confident about the win too. Not to an obnoxious level though, he's not a heel.

So Ippo repeats his pattern of zigzagging after Wolly so he keeps hopping backwards into the corner rather than completely flank Ippo, but at right the final stretch, he stops mid-air, and Ippo's visibility is blocked by his own guard even though Wolly is rather tall but whatever, and Wolly attacks Ippo from behind. He had grabbed the rope mid-jump. Another annoying trick, but I honestly expected him to bounce from the top of the ropes with his feet and not just grab it and stop, so I'll let this one slide. So tricking Wolly to trap himself into a corner isn't an option anymore, alrighty

Then.... then... I'd like chapter 874 to be renamed "Fuck you Nordicus, here's a new Street Fighter character", because at this point the new tricks are just too fucking much. Oh look, Wolly can jump straight up into the air to avoid Ippo's blows, dodge them while in the air and return with a counter. Now, whyyyyy would Ippo try to land a headshot on a tall jumping monkey man is fucking beyond me. Land that fucking body blow and do not worry about Wolly's good lower guard, because your punches are tough enough to bust through at least a little. Oh and then Wolly can dodge below too! He doesn't just limbo dodge, he fucking slides past the punches!!! What the fuck are those boxing shoes for!?!? GOD-FUCKING-DAMNIT!

Oh, oh, but we still haven't given Ippo the chance to reeeeeeally show the results of his specialized anti-Wolly training, right? Well, at one point Ippo manages to accidentally pull off his trap, then totally reinvigorated by this great chance, he attempts to deliver the smackdown, only for it to completely backfire because Wolly can use his torso with the ropes to bounce back and forth, escape and counter.

Hmm, now what did I say before...
Hajime no Ippo 858-868

However, it wasn't nice to see Kamogawa and Ippo ignoring the advice that trapping Wolly in a corner is no good. Volg is not a great in-fighter, but if there's one thing he has, it's fast combinations, and he couldn't keep Wolly trapped. I don't think that's something you can fix by just training twice as hard at it.
You. Had. Forgotten. ARE YOU GOING SENILE KAMOGAWA!? AND IS IPPO SUFFERING BRAIN DAMAGE!? Not counting your love lives, this is the biggest fuck up you two have ever made! Great use of a month there!

And then as a final insult, Wolly apparently takes an immobile infighting stance and fights Ippo on his own terms. In other words, Wolly beats the everloving shit out of Ippo. He weave dodges everything, punishes everything, and when Ippo finally goes for the safe undodgeable body blow, Wolly parries it with his right hand. Ippo gets more and more compact in order to maybe just land a single punch, which is probably for the better because he is a very straight forward, down-to-basics infighter in the first place, not a wild animal like Sendo. However, his expectations get lower and lower, and the line between playing smart&safe and just being desperate for a hit has been crossed.

I just read 3 months worth of weekly chapters here. There's very little doubt that I would have dropped this manga for a while had I been reading it actively back then. Let's see if Morikawa wants to slap my face again and the way Ippo wins this match really is through corner-fighting

dani_dc

Gaimou got told by Shin and Ouki.

I wonder if this will be Kyoukai time to make a bigger name for herself by taking Gohoumei's head.

I have no idea but it was pretty pathetic. Maybe the supposed payout was enough to convince them (his parents and/or her) and then it crashed and burned.

I think he would at least have one if Silvia's route is any indication (unless that naked apron was a one off thing) but yea it was never clear. They showed Wagatsuma's iirc.

He did beg for the naked apron, but looking back it did look like he was doing somet short of work on the Silvia route.

kasane

Smutterfly effect 10-20

so wheres best friend killer kun now

i think she really did get pregnant

what a fucking douchebag

what a coward

*tableflip*

scy

Hajime no Ippo 869-880

I just read 3 months worth of weekly chapters here. There's very little doubt that I would have dropped this manga for a while had I been reading it actively back then.

I'm sorry that I wanted to see this reaction so badly that I didn't even try to stop it.

Soma

I'm drowning in all these new Prison School chapters.

It's like Christmas.

I'm gonna be sad once they're all caught up. :(

Zweizer

Banned
Himitsu no Recipe ch15-End

President' side of character development felt kinda rushed, although with the focus being primarily on Wakatsuki I guess that's to be expected. I'm kind of annoyed Wakatsuki wasn't able to take the last step though, but despite that it was a rather cute manga and didn't take too long to read, and ultimately the end was pretty satisfactory.

dani_dc

Hajime no Ippo 869-880

You. Had. Forgotten. ARE YOU GOING SENILE KAMOGAWA!? AND IS IPPO SUFFERING BRAIN DAMAGE!? Not counting your love lives, this is the biggest fuck up you two have ever made! Great use of a month there!

This made me laugh way too much. I can't wait to read your reactions after you're done with the fight.

Lain

I think it's worse that upandaway is using the white theme.

I'd do the usual x > y here, but then it'd sound racist.

Natsume's Book of Friends vol 3
DNY.jpg

I still like the anime more than the manga. The manga feels more like a chore to read. Too cramped, the pages feel like a prison entrapping the drawings and there's too much text to make it as enjoyable as watching the anime was. That said, still a fantastic read.
The last story where Natsume takes care of the egg was the one that hit me the most of the ones in this volume.

Is scy being too rough with you?

Or is it Charade?

just work :(

new promotions start tomorrow so today was a busy day of rearranging shit, plus it's a bank holiday here so we were really busy. Also it was an 8 hour shift.

oh well. Few days off now to make scy play FF XIV with me

oh and my first staff wine tasting is tomorrow evening so that will be fun I guess

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Smutterfly Effect

I can already tell this series is going to have a depressing as fuck ending. Its already kind of depressing as fuck.

Wiseblade

Hajime no Ippo 869-880
Woli nonsense

Yep, that's pretty much what I expected. Woli is the point where I assumed that Morikawa forgot/ran out of ideas on how to make an interesting and powerful boxer without making them completely broken. Ippo's struggles in this fight seem illegitimate because his opponent is bending the laws of physics with every move he makes.

Same with the current fight. NOBODY should be able to consistently block Ippo's punches the way Not-Martinez has without their arms going numb. Ippo has thrown out some real belters this fight and to be met with constant no-sells is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom