• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ferguson: Police Kill 18yo Black Male; Fire Gas/Rubber Bullets Into Protesting Crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbmonk

According to most sources, the next officer arrived three minutes after the shooting. The ambulance didn't arrive until later, according to video taken at the scene, despite Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson's statement on the matter.

How does this prove the cops didn't call in the shooting for over 1 hour? Because it took the ambulance a long time to arrive?

Thanks for the response. I am sorry to throw even more questions into the mix. I am struggling to understand what all happened. I just learned about this event about a day ago. So I am way behind on all the information.

If anyone can link me to relevant information besides what's in the updated OP. I would appreciate it.

EDIT: I think you might have just been trying to give me the information that you have, instead of trying to "prove" that the cop didn't call in the shooting for over an hour. I am sorry if that is the case. Thank you for sharing your information with me.

I was listening to a radio talk show host MO' Kelly, his producer also makes comments, Tawahlla Sharp is his name. He made a point of saying that this isn't a race issue but a prejudice issue. Meaning that police and people that have businesses in predominantly black communities, bring prejudices with them into these communities. Viewing every teenager and young adult as a thief or criminal, because of where they live and look. Which causes a similar situation like what happened to Latasha Harlinshttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Latasha_Harlins. Something happened between the clerk and Mike Brown before that video showing Mike Brown shoving the clerk. Either way, it doesn't make the cops actions justifiable or leads me to believe Mike Brown, all in one afternoon became a hardened criminal and chose to get into a altercation with a armed police officer. Try to take the officer weapon, in order to use it against him. If he had gained control of Darren Wilson's firearm, what he would have faced would have been a lot more worse than taking or stealing cigars.

You know what I was doing before two sheriff's deputies pulled me over and made me exit my vehicle, then sit in the back of one they're patrol cars for about an hour. I was on my way home from work, 3 a.m in the morning. What were the deputies doing. Sitting in the parking lot of a Winchells donuts. As I drove pass them preparing to stop at a red light, they put down they're donuts and got behind me. When they approached the car the deputy in front, unholstered his weapon. Now at this point my heart is pumping like a race horse and I'm scared, nervous, confused, overtly cautious, and angry. I'm being frisked now, they find my work badge and drivers license. No weapons, not even a pencil on me. One deputy walks me to a patrol and sits me in the back, and guess what I'm not Fucking handcuffed. I'm told to hold onto the grill seperating the arrested from law enforcement. Now for about an hour I have to be calm, compliant and humiliated in the back of this vehicle, while deputy Cunningham(Red Head) searches my vehicle for drugs, drug paraphernalia, and or weapons. Seconds before the deputy let's me out of the car, he say's it's good that I didn't argue with them. Get this, they give me a ticket. For what you may ask, the light over the rear license plate had gone out. That was there justification for bothering me in the first place.

Why all this, for someone who did no wrong. I lived in Compton, CA at the time. Area known for its gangs, drugs, and prostitution. But should also be known for having people that live there that own they're homes, have kids in college, work for the city, own businesses, and do everything that those who live outside they're communities does. Raise smart, respectful, humble, and with integrity adults who go on to become doctors, lawyers, law makers, police officers, actors, singers, writers, marines, soldiers, airmen and women.

Judging me by the color of my skin has morphed into a combination of what I look like, wear, and live. Oh snap, if I move to the burbs I'll be questioned anyway because I stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm more afraid of law enforcement than Crips or Bloods.
The latasha harlins case is scary as hell man.

Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46NwNB8oQI

Now watch this:

NSFW guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuIY2I-kyKM

How does this prove the cops didn't call in the shooting for over 1 hour? Because it took the ambulance a long time to arrive?

Thanks for the response. I am sorry to throw even more questions into the mix. I am struggling to understand what all happened. I just learned about this event about a day ago. So I am way behind on all the information.

If anyone can link me to relevant information besides what's in the updated OP. I would appreciate it.
This is some knew information to me as well and I've been trying to follow the case. There were definitely other officers at the scene once a crowd started to form but I thought that it was mentioned during one of the many conferences that it wasn't officially called in as a shooting until much later.

And I never saw an ambulance. Did one actually arrive? If so why was the body left in the street uncovered for four hours and then get taken away in an unmarked SUV?

EDIT: I think you might have just been trying to give me the information that you have, instead of trying to "prove" that the cop didn't call in the shooting for over an hour. I am sorry if that is the case. Thank you for sharing your information with me.

Yeah, just letting you know about the available information. The other cops were definitely on the scene quickly, so he had to call in something.

And I never saw an ambulance. Did one actually arrive? If so why was the body left in the street uncovered for four hours and then get taken away in an unmarked SUV?

The ambulance is a separate thing.

You can see (what seems to be) the paramedics finally arriving at around 3 minutes into this video, well after the cops have clearly cordoned off the area.

Ovid

Actually, now that I think about it we did have a case of unarmed black man being shot by a black police officer in the DC area back in 2000.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/19/AR2006011902346.html

I didn't know him but a bunch of my friends knew him at Howard University and rumors swirled that he shot because the cop's wife/girlfriend had been cheating with him. The case was one of the most shady that I can remember now that I think about it but much like every other case there wasn't much of an investigation into what happened.
I never heard of this story. Very, very rare though.

Woah, and it was 14 years ago. Explains why I probably never heard of it.

Jado

Banned
If the autopsy supports this account then it will be much harder to prove murder, and it would bring serious questions to the testimony of the eye witnesses. They need to find and interview that witness from the video.
What would be his motivation for not telling the truth there? It was a casual conversation, he told it without the knowledge of what other witnesses were saying (shot in the back), it contradicts everything the protests are based on "hands up, don't shoot". Why in the world would he be lying moments after seeing what he saw?

He does have plenty of motivation to not come forward now. His testimony could potentially ostracize him from his entire community, or worse.

It's not surprising you'd call into question all the witnesses that support the version of events that say the cop executed the black kid, but immediately jump onto supporting the one person whose testimony lines up with your racist views. You and the rest like you should abandon these threads. You're a poison to the discussion.

White woman fellates black rapper:
Good luck to her finding a decent white man after that.

Ellen dresses up as Nicki Minaj
Gotta give her props for not doing blackface.
Speedline response:
I think alot of people would ask why exactly? The joke costume falls flat without some sort other indicator of who the heck she is dressed up as.

Parent pummels son's teacher, after she alledgly scratches him
Thug mentality in motion.

Defending bad behavior by whites in way he never does for blacks
3 men push over 200 million year old rock formation in Goblin Valley
Sometimes a rock is just a rock.
So this just confirms your prejudice?

Private security guards kill black male for trespassing.
that doesn't make sense at all as to why he was shot, he was in the car, but why did they try to stop them. and how could he be fighting one of them if he was driving the car with foot on pedal
Could it be possible that we do not have the entire story?

Attempting to shut down discussion with usual "everyone is equally bad" rhetoric
Being the majority is a privilege, just so happens Whites are the majority in America. If Blacks, Asians, or Latinos were the majority, they would have a privilege-- neither side is more or less moral than the other. Make no mistake, most people are naturally biased towards their own race and whatever group is the majority will have some sort of advantage because of it.

See here as he reframes the narrative to one in which we must wait and see to learn how much is the guy to blame for his own murder.
Cops shoot and kill man holding toy gun in Walmart
Well, considering this happened in a Wal-Mart, there is security footage of the guy with the air rifle. It shouldn't be hard to determine how he was handling the gun or if he was pointing it at people. Air rifles are not toys, they are not sold in the toy department, they are sold in the sporting goods department along with the firearms. This gun comes in a retail box. Why it was removed from the box and why he thought it would be a good idea to carry it around the store is a mystery to me.

Gun Collector kills teen over loud music outside convenience store
This is just my opinion, but more than likely the teens antagonized the shit out of him after he asked them to turn it down. The dude raged out and grabbed his gun.

Point being, you never know who will fly off the handle so it's best to try and be polite, even if your pride has to take a back seat sometimes.

This is also just my opinion, but the young black teens may have not liked being asked to turn their music down by a white man and may have bucked up at him and threatened him.

Gets pretty defensive about white pride here:
So, you are saying White Americans have no accomplishments to be proud of, should be shameful of their identity, and should discredit any of their successes?

Posted a thread about teens getting kicked off a bus and one punches the driver in anger. He seems to have been quick to connect it to the "knockout game" before realizing it had nothing to do with it. Knockout has a lot of incidents erroneously attributed to it + fear mongering of blacks and underccurent of racism among certain news outlets.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=494564&page=1

Welp.
Violent culture, no surprise.

Evoking the model minority to put down other minorities.
I am going to give my honest opinion on this and it's not to offend anyone. The Asian culture tends to celebrate education and higher learning, while it doesn't seem to be the main priority of other minority groups. Said as nicely as I could.

Just a real shit post.
We need to stop pointing fingers at each other and get to the realization that slavery was all about the profit. It was all about the money honey and if it had been legal to enslave whites at the time, they would have done that too. The greed of the upper class ruled over the poor and helpless then, and still does now no matter what race you are. GREED was the motivating force, and it still happens in Africa and other places right now.

Made a fool of himself in Trayvon thread:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=67205266
Anyone ever wonder why someone would call the police before they hunt down and murder an innocent child? And then after they murdered that child in cold blood they just sit there and wait for the police to show up? What a shitty murderer, he was out to kill that kid and tipped off the Po Po's like a fool. He'll know better the next time he gets the itch to kill. What a dumb ass cracker.

I'm curious as to why the media is portraying Zimmerman as a white guy, he is Hispanic.

In the state of Florida and other smaller pockets around this great nation. We people of African descent are treated lesser than horses. i.e animals. i.e no souls. To kill one of us is as simple as killing an insect to some people.
Response to above:
Give me a fucking break.

Gets called out by enzom, doesn't respond:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=67301461
Speedline... based on some of your posts in this thread and some in other threads (some of which are just blatant racism), you seem to have quite a bit of animosity toward black people.
I am curious what happened and why you have such anger toward black people?

This one is a bit cryptic and flew under the radar, but I believe he's choosing to selectively highlight only on a "murders commited by blacks/Latinos" stat while ignoring that the thread is about stop and frisk and that Bloomberg is being an asshole.
Damnnn, something bad wrong here

Why GAF is left leaning:
It's the moderators plus the fact that many gaffers are influenced by Gaf itself. It's the hive mentality here. The conservatives are silenced here, but we do exist. Most of us just don't care enough to make a fuss or get banned because we like Gaf for the non political stuff.

Black males most consistently under-performing demographic. What can be done?
1. What is the most significant contributing factor here?

Your pic shows what the main problem is. Thug lifestyle with gang mentality.

Perfume maker Guerlain faces court for dropping N-bomb on television
Ugh, really just using a slur in conversation is hate speech? He wasn't calling for the death of all blacks or any of that bull, get real.

Girl goes crazy, threatens to kill Professor(Jangocube thread)
Seems to imply this is common black behavior. The pessimist in me thinks "flip out" is a reference to "chimp outs."
Seen flip outs like this many many times, not over this particular subject or quite this extreme but definitely seen them.

Do we know that the thugs were white? They could have been, but I don't see it mentioned in the article. It very possible they may have been black considering the Uncle Tom remarks and the n-word is used by blacks even in casual conversation, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Another post under the radar. I believe he's saying blacks need to forgive whites for their wounds to heal before we can move forward, essentially blaming them for slow/lack of progress.
How can White people (EU+US) try to heal the wounds inflicted upon Black people?
Wounds don't heal and you can never progress until you can find forgiveness.

No American alive today has ever owned a slave. No American alive today has ever been a slave. The problem with the black community is responsibility. The Black leaders are teaching that someone else is responsible for the black problems. The leadership is the problem. The Bill Cosby's of the world are ridiculed while the Al Sharpton's are exhalted. There is your problem.

NO ONE CAN CHANGE THE PAST. So yes, buck-up and get over it would be a good way. Actually, it's the only way because you know what, NO ONE CAN CHANGE THE PAST. You want to spend the rest of your life complaining about something that can't be changed, thats your choice. The rest of us will go out and live productive lives and try to let bygones be bygones. No matter how much guilt is placed on white people, we can't change what happened hundreds of years ago. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the overwhelming majority of whites have next to zero advantages stemming directly to slavery. No one I have EVER met is wealthy because of some past family slave driven income. I'm sure there are some left out there, but not many.

What would you like for society to do exactly? Pass out checks? It's not gonna happen. So, yes, it would be in the best interest of the Black Community to get past the slavery issue. Seriously, it's the same as a rape victim never getting past the rape incident. Entire lives ruined over something that can never be undone. So, so sad.

White men have it bad.
Your a White male............ the world doesn't care about your problems (thats the White Male code).

Spreading lies about racist voter ID laws:
The democrats are saying the poor people can't either afford to pay $10 (or whatever) for an ID card, or they don't have a way to drive down to the place to get one. The real reason is that Democrats get the votes of people who are here illegally, people who are in prison, and even dead people have been found to vote-- this law is trying to stop that fraud and is needed. ACORN was an organization that helped Obama gain votes by defrauding the system in countless ways including these.

First time offender sentenced to 162 years without parole
Eh, he was convicted of a string of armed robberies. He made his choice.

White Florida Man Shoots 17-Year Old Black in "Self-Defense"...Again
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=44828754
Classy topic title.

I hate to sound insensitive, but we really do need to move past all these grievances over slavery. No American alive today has been a slave or a slave owner. We all live by the same rules and regulations. There has to be a level of forgiveness for the past in order for us to move forward together.

I'm a married woman and voted for Obama. Also, 30, so not young.
Response:
Are you black, hispanic, poor, or gay?

88 Year old WWII vet beaten to death by 2 Teens(16-19)
Needs to be charged as a hate crime, but I highly doubt it will.

Do black people need community leaders like Al Sharpton and Rev Jackson?

This Bill O'Reilly talking points memo (aka black people to blame for their troubles)
I agree with him on a couple of things

The breakdown of the nuclear family is a major problem. That 73% number is pretty astounding and it does boil down to some level of personal responsibility to blame. Two parent family would be very beneficial from both a nurturing and economic standpoint and would go a long way in increasing the quality of life for young people.

The entertainment culture has certainly benefited from glamorizing violence, sex, and drugs. It's not much different than the rock culture from the past, but it's definitely a more extreme level of recklessness and anger/ hostility in the message. If the family breaks down, then the young people find new role models to pattern after and in many cases those role models come from entertainment industry. In some cases rap/ hip hop has become like a religion and is the anthem for gang culture.

Lastly, if you can not read/ write very well and can not communicate effectively you will not be able to compete in a competitive workforce. He's right, unless you have some other talent that you can pursue, you will be stuck in low wage unskilled labor jobs with minimal benefits and no way out. If you start selling drugs and serve time then that make your wage earning prospects even more dire.

His point is that all these things start with the children, and unless you give them a solid footing to work with they will fall into the same lifestyle that led their parents there. parents have to teach their children to embrace education to even begin to move forward.

Refers to the three black 15yr olds attacking the white 13yr old as "thugs"
The driver did what was best to preserve himself, which I can not blame him. It's his job to drive the bus, not take punches.

hope the thugs get punished harshly for assaulting that poor kid.

Racist Paula Seen is victim of witch hunt

Blames poor black kids failing in school.
Horrific 10 Percent Literacy Rate Prompts ACLU to Sue Michigan Schools
So, do you think the teachers just happen to fail at teaching? These kids need some very tough discipline to change this around and I doubt the teachers are given the necessary authority to control these classrooms. We've taken the authority away from the teachers.

Family sues Dallas cops, city, after 911 caller Deanna Cook is found dead (family claims race/area demographics played role in very slow police response)
I don't see where it says the race of the cops or dispatch.

You're a horrible person.

Tripon

It's not surprising you'd call into question all the witnesses that support the version of events that say the cop executed the black kid, but immediately jump onto supporting the one person whose testimony lines up with your racist views. You and the rest like you should abandon these threads. You're a poison to the discussion.

Speedline response:

Attempting to shut down discussion with usual "everyone is equally bad" rhetoric

See here as he reframes the narrative to one in which we must wait and see to learn how much is the guy to blame for his own murder.

Posted a thread about teens getting kicked off a bus and one punches the driver in anger. He seems to have been quick to connect it to the "knockout game" before realizing it had nothing to do with it. Knockout has a lot of incidents erroneously attributed to it + fear mongering of blacks and underccurent of racism among certain news outlets.

Welp.

Just a real shit post.

Response to above:

This one is a bit cryptic and flew under the radar, but I believe he's choosing to selectively highlight only on a "murders commited by blacks/Latinos" stat while ignoring that the thread is about stop and frisk and that Bloomberg is being an asshole.

Why GAF is left leaning:

Seems to imply this is common black behavior. The pessimist in me thinks "flip out" is a reference to "chimp outs."

Another post under the radar. I believe he's saying blacks need to forgive whites for their wounds to heal before we can move forward, essentially blaming them for slow/lack of progress.
How can White people (EU+US) try to heal the wounds inflicted upon Black people?

White men have it bad.

Response:

This Bill O'Reilly talking points memo (aka black people to blame for their troubles)

Family sues Dallas cops, city, after 911 caller Deanna Cook is found dead (family claims race/area demographics played role in very slow police response)

Holy shit.

fritolay

Dorian Johnson
"He didn't say freeze, halt or anything like we were committing a crime," Johnson told KSDK. "He said, 'Get the 'F' on the sidewalk.'"

He said the officer, whose name has not been released, shoved open the car door, grabbed Brown around the neck and tried to pull him through the window. He said Brown never tried to reach for the officer's weapon.

A cop tried to pull a person into the car, through the window? GTFO

speedline... smh

you need to work out your racist issues. I'm honestly surprised you lasted this long on here with such a disgusting record.

great illuminating work Jado.

The ambulance is a separate thing.

You can see (what seems to be) the paramedics finally arriving at around 3 minutes into this video, well after the cops have clearly cordoned off the area.
I must be going blind. Is the guy with case supposed to be that paramedic? That looks like it could just be a crime scene investigator. I don't see any sign that he did anything to check the body and I see no ambulance parked anywhere in the background unless my old eyes just aren't seeing it.

And I still don't understand why they didn't at least cover the body with a sheet as opposed to leaving it out there like roadkill.

Keep fucking that chicken....
30957d1130004597-pepperpot-real-cool-stuff-image002.jpg

If your argument is I'm just going out of my way to accuse people of racism you'd be wrong. The fact of the matter is that "thug" is almost always ONLY used against Black criminality. Gee, I wonder why.

I hate this world.

Nanashrew

Banned

Speedline response:

Welp.

Just a real shit post.

Response to above:

Why GAF is left leaning:

White men have it bad.

Response:

Holy crap.

-------

Also anyone watching CNN? I saw someone just mention that the lawyer for the store owner confirmed that he never reported a robbery to the Ferguson PD.

Speedline response:

Welp.

Just a real shit post.

Response to above:

Why GAF is left leaning:

White men have it bad.

Response:

Baw gawd

Indicate

Holy crap.

-------

Also anyone watching CNN? I saw someone just mention that the lawyer for the store owner confirmed that he never reported a robbery to the Ferguson PD.

Yep, it was a lady with her child. The lawyer also said the owner was very welcoming with the community which was why they took the approach to close the door. The owner is also supportive of the protests in Ferguson .

Speedline response:

Welp.

Just a real shit post.

Response to above:

Why GAF is left leaning:

White men have it bad.

Response:

1280787764160.gif

I admit losing a lot of sleep doing this and not enjoying it. Just felt it was necessary when dishonest, sometimes racist people ruin these threads.

It was worth it. If he's not banned, that's what ignore is for. Thanks for letting us know his complete character.

Mind you, I'd there's any positive to come from these tragedies is the bans that clear the forum of racists.

I agree. Was surprised to see someone assume it implied the feds mean to further obstruct justice.

LOL! some people eessh.

I personally believe that local PDs who have an own officer involved in a shooting concerning an unarmed suspect should not have the mandate to investigate themselves.

Either transfer investigation to the State or to the Feds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom