• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Beta - Torment: Tides of the Beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayman

Matt Chatt interviews Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart.

They talk about Pillarts of Eternity, South Park and other stuff. We can expect a release date announcement for Pillars of Eternity in a few weeks. I'm guessing late next month. I thought the interview was worth a listen, so check it out if you are a fan of Obsidian.
Fergus saying a shipping game may be announced in the next few weeks and that the game will be out this year. I am surprised. Good for them getting it out this "soon" if it comes to pass.

Zabojnik

Damn, I need that part 2 of the interview. Also, I'm glad it led me to Matt's interview with Avallone regarding Tides of Numanera. My hype for that project is now at maximum levels. Everything about it sounds so fucking awesome.

arkon

Fergus saying a shipping game may be announced in the next few weeks and that the game will be out this year. I am surprised. Good for them getting it out this "soon" if it comes to pass.

I would think that's open to change. If they find the game isn't in a state where it's ready to ship by the end of the year I'm sure they'd push the release back. They're in control now after all.

Nice interview overall. He's saying all the right things. Well, except for the Zombie Western idea. I'm just sick of zombies now. I would hope they go for a different idea. Something different to the standard medieval fantasy or scifi ones.

Labadal

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to let you know that your Pillars of Eternity team is hard at work fixing up the game based on the bugs you have been reporting. I can't give you an exact date, but we would really like to release the patch next week, if possible.

We have been focusing on save/load, pathfinding, AI, and class fixes.

When we get the exacts nailed down we will let you guys know.

Thanks for all of the hard work you guys have put into helping us with the beta. The extra eyes are invaluable!

Backer Beta as presented by Jorge Salgado and Rose Gomez
Starts at 2h43min.
Pillars of Eternity Beta from PAX Prime.
This is an updated version from the Beta that backers are currently playing. We have v257, This version is v271.

A druid is being played.

Thanks to C2B from the Obsidian forum for finding this.

Arulan

Matt Chatt interviews Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart.

They talk about Pillarts of Eternity, South Park and other stuff. We can expect a release date announcement for Pillars of Eternity in a few weeks. I'm guessing late next month. I thought the interview was worth a listen, so check it out if you are a fan of Obsidian.

Part II is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Q0E6bQ_i0&list=UUE98xefVUXmbvQfe-wNS8oA

In this segment, Feargus talks about his early days, starting off as a Quality Assurance guy and flying up the ranks to full-fledged producer. We chat about the Shattered Steel game, Baldur's Gate (a name that Feargus came up with!), and a bit about Fallout.

Altazor

Nice! A priori, I'd say
the aumaua chanter, the female cypher and the godlike female paladin
piqued my interest, I think their backstories have potential. Hopefully they are in the final release...

aborath

Neo Member
Companions information from the game files. This doesn't necessarily guarantee these are the final companions though.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...uccessfully-ended.93694/page-111#post-3465922

Kana Rua, male aumaua chanter
Sagani, female dwarf ranger
Aloth, male elf wizard
The Grieving Mother, female cipher
Pallegina, female godlike paladin
Eder, male human rogue
Durance, male fighter
Hiravias, male orlan priest

Cool, thanks for posting that. Hopefully they've each got a healthy amount of dialogue.

I wonder why they don't just push the Pax build out to backers in an update.

Altazor

Maybe you should ask in the Backer Beta forum? Maybe a dev will give you an estimate =/

Unrelated, here's a pic by Josh Sawyer explaining Attack and Recovery in Pillars of Eternity. LARGE PICTURE WARNING.

3VyB7gs.jpg

Arulan

Updated recovery times:

Josh Sawyer said:
That chart is a little out of date. I made it a few months ago. Two-handed weapons, one-handed weapons wielded alone, and one-handed weapons with shields now all have +50% Recovery Time. Dual-wielding has the fastest attack rate (even faster when used with two fast weapons like stilettos or rapiers

The advantages of each combat style are:

Dual-Wield: Fastest attack rate.
1H Weapon + Shield: +15/+20/+25 Deflection bonus.*
1H Weapon + No Off Hand: +15 Accuracy bonus.
2H Weapon: Highest per-hit damage.

* Larger shields inflict commensurate Accuracy penalties..

Arulan

Some information on how Interrupts works:

Josh Sawyer said:
These are the RAW, though I don't currently have the constants handy:

Here are the basic mechanics for Interrupt (modified from the attack's Base Interrupt) and Concentration (derived from a constant Base Concentration), which are two opposed values used for determining if someone plays a hit reaction when they take damage. It comes down to a comparison of an Interrupt value (from the attack and attacker's stats) vs. the defenders' Concentration values (from the defender's stats) with a random percentile roll.

A hit reaction always stops movement, cooldown timer, reloading, and all other actions. Movement, cooldowns and reloads do not reset but are simply paused and resumed. All other actions (attacks, spells, abilities, etc.) are stopped and must be restarted from the beginning.

In general, these values do not scale tremendously over the course of the game. They also are generally applied based on the speed and area of effect of the attack. A fast AoE will have a miniscule Base Interrupt. A slow single-target attack will have a high Base Interrupt.

The general rule is this: the slower the attack, the higher the Base Interrupt. The more targets it affects, the lower the Base Interrupt.

Interrupt Scale:
[None]
Weakest
Weaker
Weak
Average
Strong
Stronger
Strongest

These names are associated with constants. If the constant is adjusted for "Stronger", it will automatically affect everything set to have a Stronger interrupt.

Every Attack can have an Interrupt value, though it should be set to [None] unless damage is part of the attack. Note that even if damage is not, in the final tally, applied to the target, it can still be interrupted. However, the attacker must at least score a Graze. The formula for calculating interrupt follows:

Interrupt = Base Interrupt * (1 + [{Perception * 3}/100])

The attack roll can further modify this value. The final result increases by 50% if the attack was a Crit and is cut to 50% if the attack was a Graze. Additionally, a Disengagement Attack automatically increases the final result by 50%. A Disengagement Attack that Crits would increase the result by 50%, then that result by 50%.

For example, let's say someone attacks with a Sword. The Sword has an Average Base Interrupt. We've defined Average to be 40. The attacker has a Perception of 15. Interrupt = 40 * (1 + [{15*3}/100]) or Interrupt = 40 * 1.45, so Interrupt = 58.

Concentration = Base Concentration * (1 + [{Resolve * 3}/100])

Base Concentration is a constant. Let's say it's 50, assuming we want a lower number of Average attacks to call a hit reaction (we may not, which is why this is a constant we can tune). The defender's Resolve is 18. Concentration = 50 * (1 + [{18*3}/100]) or Concentration = 50 * 1.54, so Concentration = 77.

To call a hit reaction, the percentile roll needs to be 51 or higher. The roll is 1-100 + Interrupt - Concentration. In this case, it's 1-100 + 58 - 77. It's kinda hard to call a reaction (only on 70 or higher), but it wouldn't be rare.

Now let's say with the same characters an attacker is using Stilettos with Weak Base Interrupt. We define Weak as being 30, so the Interrupt is 44 (43.5). With a compared 77 Concentration, the roll now needs to be an 84 or higher to call an Interrupt!

If the attacker really wants to call an reaction, he or she may use a Morning Star, which has a Strong Base Interrupt (50). This results in a 77 Interrupt, which exactly matches the 77 Concentration. A roll of 51 or higher (half of all Hits) will call a reaction. On a Crit, the Interrupt is increased to 116 (115.5), meaning even a roll of 12 would call a reaction! A Crit Disengagement Attack would do it every single time, though obvious those attacks have to be provoked.

Magical weapons can have a special property (called Superior Interruption) that bumps their set/listed Base Interrupt rating up by one category. E.g., a Stiletto would be set to Weak but be bumped to Average.
Magical items (of any sort, but usually armor) and spells/abilities can have a special property, called Interrupting, that adds to the modifier normally calculated from Perception. This adds directly into the percentage increase of the Base Interrupt. Conversely, they can have a property called Concentrating that specifically adds to the modifier normally calculated from Resolve.

Altazor

that's really interesting. A bit difficult for me to understand at first but I can see it's not that tough. It's always good to see what's going on "behind the scenes" during/after attacks.

Sothpaw

Companions information from the game files. This doesn't necessarily guarantee these are the final companions though.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...uccessfully-ended.93694/page-111#post-3465922

Kana Rua, male aumaua chanter
Sagani, female dwarf ranger
Aloth, male elf wizard
The Grieving Mother, female cipher
Pallegina, female godlike paladin
Eder, male human rogue
Durance, male fighter
Hiravias, male orlan priest

Jesus Christ what does it take to get a dwarven fighter npc nowadays. Surprised no
monk
or
barbar
, but a nice spread overall.

Arulan

Jesus Christ what does it take to get a dwarven fighter npc nowadays. Surprised no
monk
or
barbar
, but a nice spread overall.

You'll be able to hire a Dwarven Fighter (I'm almost completely positive there aren't restrictions on those) or create one as your PC but I know what you mean. I'm assuming they wanted to go for something a bit more uncommon, a
female Dwarven ranger
could be interesting though.

Assuming the list is true, which it appears to be I'm having some difficulty deciding what my PC should ultimately be while picking (from the basic knowledge we have) interesting companions to compliment my party. For instance I was originally very interested in playing a
Cipher
but
The Grieving Mother
companion sounds very interesting. I've also been playing with the thought of creating two player-created characters and the rest companions.

Has anyone roughly decided on their party composition?

Altazor

Patch is live already? Damn, opening Steam ASAP.

You'll be able to hire a Dwarven Fighter (I'm almost completely positive there aren't restrictions on those) or create one as your PC but I know what you mean. I'm assuming they wanted to go for something a bit more uncommon, a
female Dwarven ranger
could be interesting though.

Assuming the list is true, which it appears to be I'm having some difficulty deciding what my PC should ultimately be while picking (from the basic knowledge we have) interesting companions to compliment my party. For instance I was originally very interested in playing a
Cipher
but
The Grieving Mother
companion sounds very interesting. I've also been playing with the thought of creating two player-created characters and the rest companions.

Has anyone roughly decided on their party composition?

To be honest, I hadn't even thought about it until how. My main character in the beta is an Aumaua Paladin but considering the (apparent) companions, I think that'll be a bit redundant so... I guess I'll have to consider it more carefully when the final game is released :p

aborath

Neo Member
Downloading the patch now. Any details on specifically what was fixed? Hopefully, savegames, items disappearing, and the skull key not working were addressed. Would be nice to be able to actually finish the demo.

_DrMario_

Awesome. New patch and I start having the same issue of Steam getting stuck on a launch sequence loop. And this time I can't seem to fix it.

I have to say I'm quite amazed I seem to be the only one having this issue so far in the beta.

epmode

I hope they allow us to zoom in further than the game currently allows. While the UI looks great at 2560x1600, the game itself is pretty tiny. I'd rather deal with the side effects of scaling a 2D image larger than its native resolution than have to look at the screen so closely.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Jesus christ if you thought GAF was bad, rpgcodex is a vapid wasteland of haters. I've never seen such a dissatisfied and critical group of haters in a gaming forum. Not to mention all the shitty language they use on top of it.

Altazor

Jesus christ if you thought GAF was bad, rpgcodex is a vapid wasteland of haters. I've never seen such a dissatisfied and critical group of haters in a gaming forum. Not to mention all the shitty language they use on top of it.

RPG Codex and the official PoE forums are way, way too negative for my tastes. I'm all for a decent discussion but the atmosphere in those places is near toxic.

"HEY I'M DISAPPOINTED IN THIS PRODUCT HOW ARE THEY EVEN GOING TO RELEASE SOMETHING LIKE THIS BY THE END OF THE YEAR I HAVE NO FAITH IN THEM"

"DO YOU DISLIKE DICE ROLLS? WELL GO PLAY YOUR BABBIES FIRST GAEM WITH GUNS YOU FILTHY CASUL"

and so on

Kinthalis

Banned

I went in there to check it out.

Killed myself.

I'm posting in ghost form.

Zeliard

Patch notes:

Fixed Issues

Save/Load

• Items disappearing on save/load and transitions has been fixed
  • Fixed a problem where quests/tasks are lost when loading while in a game
  • Saving games no longer causes the zoom in/out feature to function improperly
  • Currency, Quest items, Crafting items, and Camping Supplies are no longer placed in the inventory after loading a game
  • Status icons no longer revert to temp icons and text after loading a game

Spells/Abilities/Classes/Gameplay
  • Adventurers can now be hired at levels above level 1
  • Characters no longer get stuck in attack or casting animation loops
  • Health values are no longer the same for all classes
  • Deep Wounds effect is no longer dealing large amounts of damage
  • Paladin's Zealous Charge is no longer slowing/rooting characters after saving
  • Fix to an issue where weapons would occasionally disappear on start of new game on slower machines.
  • Wizard, Cipher, and Chanter receive talents at level 3 and 6 now
  • Party member responsiveness has been improved
  • New icons for first level spells
  • Added new hairstyles
  • Added new portraits
  • Pathfinding is more accurate
  • Improved pathing around creatures
  • Scene transitions are more tolerant when switching scenes
  • Added fades to transitions
  • Fixed issues with ambient map levels being set too high
  • PC being knocked unconscious will not end the game.
  • Fixed maximum health issues on level up
  • Many other spell/ability fixes (too numerous to list)

Items
  • Shops should have correct pricing now
  • Items and loot bags no longer appear on the ground randomly
  • Dropped loot no longer reappears after being looted
  • The Skull Key can now be used to open the entrance to Temple of Skaen
  • Added "page" system to the stash to improve performance when there are hundreds of items in the stash

User Interface
  • Inventory is no longer acting as though it is full when it is not
  • Main menu options text is no longer disappearing
  • Fixed a problem where players would lose control when closing the stash while holding a stashed item
  • The Continue button loads the newest save now
  • Right clicking portraits no longer moves the selected character
  • Turning the HUD off and invoking a menu no longer locks the HUD as invisible
  • Opening and closing the map quickly no longer allows you to see the entire area without fog
  • Added UI indicator for Fast and Slow modes
  • Updated look and feel of selection circles
  • Added new death screen art
  • The area map should match the look of the area
  • Fixed mixed glyph issue with dynamic fonts. This was causing text to look LiKe It wAs MiXIng SiZEs
  • Added scroll speed options in the settings
  • Control mapping is now saved

Audio
  • SFX are no longer looping in slow motion, while pausing, or when knockdown is played
Other
  • Formations are now spaced properly/evenly
  • Water no longer becomes black between 5 and 7 am
  • Pace in the back of Dyrford Tavern is no longer translucent
  • Added SetZoomRange console command

On Known Issues List (that weren't fixed)

Save/Load
  • Dead party members will rejoin the party after transitions and save/load

Spells/Abilities/Classes/Gameplay
  • Problem with AI instruction sets where sometimes enemies will stop attacking
  • Charmed/Dominated creatures will attack themselves

User Interface
  • Cannot cancel Character Creation, Level Up, or Adventurer Creation
  • Character Creation buttons can have a significant delay when clicked
  • Steps can be skipped in Character Creation

hemtae

Well if there are was a time to nitpick and voice general displeasure, the beta is the time to do it. Plus the RPGCodex loves C&C which isn't present in the beta for obvious reasons.

Altazor

Patch notes:

as Mr. Burns would say: excellent

They fixed one of the main bugs I had in my (admittedly short) playthrough: my paladin was stuck if I didn't have Zealous Charge activated. Now it's fixed, hooray! (I reported the bug at the official forum and the dev reply was that it was caused by a bug with the save function; basically, if you saved your game with ZC activated)

~Kinggi~

Banned
What does it mean transitions are more tolerant? Does that mean they improved loading speed? Cause loading times seemed kind of a bummer in videos.

Altazor

Well if there are was a time to nitpick and voice general displeasure, the beta is the time to do it. Plus the RPGCodex loves C&C which isn't present in the beta for obvious reasons.

sorry, what's C&C? I doubt it's Command and Conquer, so I had to ask ;)

As for the nitpick and displeasure comment... well, yes, but there's a certain way to do it, IMHO. And pestering the devs with inane comments or just complaining because "this isn't what I thought it was and I DON'T LIKE IT" don't seem to me like a helpful way of telling the devs how to refine the game. Just my 2 cents, though.

Zeliard

as Mr. Burns would say: excellent

They fixed one of the main bugs I had in my (admittedly short) playthrough: my paladin was stuck if I didn't have Zealous Charge activated. Now it's fixed, hooray! (I reported the bug at the official forum and the dev reply was that it was caused by a bug with the save function; basically, if you saved your game with ZC activated)

Looks like an excellent patch, with just the sorts of fixes I was waiting for before really getting into it. Now that some of the more critical bugs have been ironed out and some quality of life changes have been implemented, it should be notably easier to test out the systems and provide better feedback since there will less general muck getting in the way.

Upcoming patches are where we should start to see a lot more changes with balancing and general mechanics.

~Kinggi~

Banned
sorry, what's C&C? I doubt it's Command and Conquer, so I had to ask ;)

As for the nitpick and displeasure comment... well, yes, but there's a certain way to do it, IMHO. And pestering the devs with inane comments or just complaining because "this isn't what I thought it was and I DON'T LIKE IT" don't seem to me like a helpful way of telling the devs how to refine the game. Just my 2 cents, though.

C&C is castles and crusades, it has different rule sets and shit, i dont know details.

Onemic

Thank god they fixed that attack animation loop. My only 2 playthroughs of the game were abruptly cut short because a character would be stuck in an attack animation and the game wouldnt let me select any other character to complete an action causing the monsters to attack and kill everyone in my party until it was game over.

Altazor

C&C is castles and crusades, it has different rule sets and shit, i dont know details.

thanks for the reply. I didn't know of its existence TBH... then again, I'm a complete, absolute noob regarding PnP RPGs. Like "I have never ever played a game of this in my life" noob.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I can't tell if Kinggi is trolling or not but C&C in an RPG context means choice and consequence. :p

You sure? There is a lot of documentation talking about C&C being castles and crusades. You know how D&D is dungeons and dragons? It may also stand for choices and consequences.

edit; seems like it was a game that was spawned off D&D and took on a semi life of its own with its rule sets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castles_&_Crusades

I see a bunch of forums talking about it but they never mention a specific game.

Altazor

LOL, both replies kinda fit though...

-"C&C" as "Castles and Crusades" as in "old school d20 ruleset" (or whatever) isn't in the beta/game 'cause it's a completely new system with different attributes, the idea of "no bad builds in the game", etc.

-"C&C" as in "Choice and Consequences" aren't in the beta 'cause it's a short, self-contained thing that won't appear in the main game so it's obvious there can't be any long lasting consequences for your choices.

Oh well, thanks to both of you then ;)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
As a veteran of old RPGs with "bad builds" where being a dumb 12 year old kid who didn't know how to spec your guys at the start of the game could lead to a massively underpowered dude ten or fifteen hours later, I'm fine with "no bad builds"

Altazor

As a complete fucking noob, I'm also fine with it. I don't want to be retroactively punished for not knowing how to "properly" build a character from scratch. Not everybody's an RPG veteran, y'know?

~Kinggi~

Banned
It also means you can roleplay what actually interests you and not being forced to just go with the best build to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom