• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The 1000-track game music battle of all eternity. (actual voting itt)

Masked Man said:

If they can sticky the "make your own Super mario bros. level" thread, I can't see why they can't sticky this one. Also, maybe remove the (actual voting itt) subtitle, since this is pretty much the only thread right now -_-

Mods please make this a sticky. This thread is going to explode about halfway through :lol

Anyhow, I look forward to voting this weekend.

Masked Man

I said wow
screenshots_bk9.gif

It sucks that this is the best CCW picture I could find.

PBalfredo

1. Ace Combat 6 - Liberation of Gracemaria
2. Ace Combat 4 - Agnus Dei
3. Ace Combat 0 - Zero
4. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - Gage's Theme
5. Baten Kaitos - Violent Storm
6. Baten Kaitos Origins - Between the Wind and the Earth (map theme)
7. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Klavier Gavin ~ LOVE LOVE GUILTY
8. Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Sami's Theme
9. Actraiser - Filmore (Stage 1)
10. Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War
11. Actraiser - Birth of the People
12. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dick Gumshoe
13. Alone in the Dark (2008) - Who am I
14. Adventures of Bayou Billy - Swamp Theme

This thread should be sticky. Though it doesn't matter to me as I've already bookmarked it. :D

I was looking through the finalized nominations list and I noticed for EarthBound both Fourside and Because I Love You were listed. Isn't that a bit redundant, seeing as they are both just an upbeat and slow version of the same song? I would recommend replacing one (I vote keeping Fourside) with Smiles and Tears.

I really appreciate all of the work being put into this.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
For the record, I'm planning on moving to the next set tomorrow at around 5PM EST. I'll probably stick to late afternoon / early evening for the rest.

Would people prefer that I post results via slideshow only at first, or is that a dick move and would you rather just have the list instead? The latter would obviously be faster.

PBalfredo said:
I was looking through the finalized nominations list and I noticed for EarthBound both Fourside and Because I Love You were listed. Isn't that a bit redundant, seeing as they are both just an upbeat and slow version of the same song? I would recommend replacing one (I vote keeping Fourside) with Smiles and Tears.
I'm generally reluctant to replace songs from here on out, but I'm not opposed to it, especially for series that I know jack-shit about (Earthbound being one of them). I'd like other people in this thread to support the motion before I do something like that though.

I was looking over the list a little while ago and noticed that I had accidentally entered "The Stone Like" for Radiant Silvergun when I meant to pick the Stage 5 music. Since nobody else in the nominations thread ever mentioned RSG, that's probably a switch I'm going to make.

Sixfortyfive said:
For the record, I'm planning on moving to the next set tomorrow at around 5PM EST. I'll probably stick to late afternoon / early evening for the rest.

Would people prefer that I post results via slideshow only at first, or is that a dick move and would you rather just have the list instead? The latter would obviously be faster.

Slideshow from #10 to #1 pls!!!

Hurry and PM me the results, I won't tell

Sixfortyfive

Death_Born said:
Slideshow from #10 to #1 pls!!!

Hurry and PM me the results, I won't tell
Slideshow would be only for those songs knocked out (#50 through #11). Top 10 from each group get to wait until the end of the contest.

I'm going back through the list right now to see which of these I'm actually going to hold onto for longer than just the duration of the contest. That AitD track is definitely a keeper.

Sixfortyfive said:
Slideshow would be only for those songs knocked out (#50 through #11). Top 10 from each group get to wait until the end of the contest.

I'm going back through the list right now to see which of these I'm actually going to hold onto for longer than just the duration of the contest. That AitD track is definitely a keeper.

OIC. If so, the list should probably be the first thing posted.

JRW

Masked Man said:
Which Banjo songs come to mind? I'm curious.

Banjo-Kazooie - Mad Monster Mansion (Interior)

Banjo-Kazooie - Mad Monster Mansion (Exterior)

Banjo-Kazooie - Inside the Pyramids (Gobi's Valley)

Banjo Kazooie - Mad Monster Mansion (Haunted Shed) - Couldnt find this track on youtube so I uploaded it. I recorded this one myself couple years ago directly from my N64, it opens and plays in IE when I click on it so hopefully it works for everyone.

Banjo Tooie - Witchy World

Masked Man

I said wow
JRW said:
Banjo-Kazooie - Mad Monster Mansion (Interior)

Banjo-Kazooie - Mad Monster Mansion (Exterior)

Banjo-Kazooie - Inside the Pyramids (Gobi's Valley)

Banjo Kazooie - Mad Monster Mansion (Haunted Shed) - Couldnt find this track on youtube so I uploaded it. I recorded this one myself couple years ago directly from my N64, it opens and plays in IE when I click on it so hopefully it works for everyone.

Banjo Tooie - Witchy World

Quite the MMM fan, eh? :lol Truth be told, it wasn't my favorite, but I did like it quite a bit. It's very dark and atmospheric. And we've already discussed the Gobi's Valley thing: you like it inside, I prefer outside. To each his own, I suppose. :D

But I feel like a huge jerk for failing to post BT stuff, too. Like, a HUGE jerk. Witchyworld is one of my favorites in the series. And Atlantis--EFFING ATLANTIS!

Banjo-Tooie - Atlantis

Everyone needs to listen to this. I think we need to add this and Witchyworld to the next group just to be safe and make sure that BT gets the loving that it deserves. ;)

JRW

Masked Man said:
Quite the MMM fan, eh? :lol Truth be told, it wasn't my favorite, but I did like it quite a bit. It's very dark and atmospheric. And we've already discussed the Gobi's Valley thing: you like it inside, I prefer outside. To each his own, I suppose. :D

But I feel like a huge jerk for failing to post BT stuff, too. Like, a HUGE jerk. Witchyworld is one of my favorites in the series. And Atlantis--EFFING ATLANTIS!

Banjo-Tooie - Atlantis

Everyone needs to listen to this. I think we need to add this and Witchyworld to the next group just to be safe and make sure that BT gets the loving that it deserves. ;)

Ah damn how could I miss Atlantis ,Another good one.

And ya ive always been a big fan of haunted themes in videogames :D

I like the Gobi Valley outside theme but its just a little to 'happy' for me.

I also liked Hailfire Peaks from Tooie:

Banjo-Tooie - Hailfire Peaks (Icy Side)

Banjo-Tooie - Hailfire Peaks (Lava Side)

Couple tracks I like from Donkey Kong 64:

Donkey Kong 64 - Creepy Castle - Sounds a lot like banjo's mad monster mansion theme

Donkey Kong 64 - Frantic Factory

Sixfortyfive

Anybody know of any good video hosting services that accept super-hueg files (huge as in 2.5+ hours and 400+ MB)? Google Video seems to take up to 24 hours to process anything. =/

'Bout 2.5 hours before I put up the next set.

Azih

I just voted and I hope my vote made it in as I worked really hard on it :(. Listening to all the songs is really really great and I hope everybody else is making the effort to do so as well. So much good music.

Edit: I mean the OP was really vauge on when the voting ends and so I was always planning to vote on Friday. I worked really hard on the votes maaaaaaaan, let it in.

Azih

Ah well, it might have been to late to vote, I'll just put down my top 6 of 20 as I hope they all made it in.
1 Ace Combat 6 - Liberation of Gracemaria - At first listen I didn't like it too much, but on repeated listens it just gets better and better.

2 Arcanum - Main Theme - Beautiful sad strings that really craft a setting

3 Ace Combat 0 - Zero - Used to be my top pick based just on the amazing middle section

4 Baten Kaitos Origins - Le Ali Del Principio - Just a really good game tune.

5 Baldur's Gate 2 - Romance II - Not sure how much this was nostalgia but the tune creates a mood that is not usual in games

6 Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War - Man, whatever else you say about Namco, they've got the best composers in the business. For sure.

nny

Sixfortyfive said:
The OP now links to set 2. I'll be taking down set 1 in a minute and posting results.

Thanks for all the work man; while choosing my favorites I've been discovering some great pieces that I've never gotten to know before. Keep it up, I'm sure the final result will be interesting.

*starts listening to the new list*

Hooray!

I think i might be posting impressions. Maybe. I didn't play any of these games at all, (even Bioshock, since it doesn't work on my Vista computer ;_; I did play the beginning but I'm gonna start over because I lost my save.)

---

1) Batman GB - Didn't really stand out to me.

2) Batman NES Streets of Desolation - Much better, the riff sort of reminds me of some kind of "Old West" motif.

3) Batman NES Laboratory - Faster paced, but a bit repetitive.

4) Batman NES Game over - Quite good, especially for the NES. Too bad these NES songs only last for 20 seconds before repeating XD

5) Brambert's theme - Nice sax, but I found it annoying. I can give it credit for being catchy though (arrrgh! get it out of my head!!!)

6) Open Mind - Sounds very cliche, like it could be in any generic game.

7) My Kingdom - Slightly better, but still "meh"

8) Hachimaki Please - I can honestly say that this game's music is boooring.

9) BF1942 Theme - Best Battlefield theme song ever. Love it.

scarybore

Sixfortyfive said:
The OP now links to set 2. I'll be taking down set 1 in a minute and posting results.

For some reason I had it in my head that there would be a separate thread for each vote section, but just changing the OP makes a lot more sense.

I have to say I have only played 3 of the games that are nominated in the OP so this could either be very illuminating or a absolute chore, here's hoping it's the former. I really have no idea what to expect, kind of exciting in a way. :)

Sixfortyfive

~ ROUND 1 RESULTS ~

First, let's meet our 10 finalists:

10.jpg

09.jpg

08.jpg

07.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

Complete results for round 1 can be found here.

-I'm generally pleased with these results. Not a stinker in the top 10, though I sort of think Alone in the Dark was robbed.
-The top 3 songs cemented their positions fairly early. Or at least it looked that way until a last-minute vote bumped Zero up to 2nd place. :)
-I use the IRV sort to break ties (we had 2 this round). #11 was knocked off by only a single point.

-------------------------------------------------------

My votes for round 2:

1. Beyond Good & Evil - Spanish Bar
2. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Leap of Faith
3. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Power Plant
4. beatmania IIDX 3rd Style - Absolute
5. Bonanza Bros - Stage 1
6. Battle Mania Daiginjou / Trouble Shooter Vintage - Open Mind
7. Battle Mania Daiginjou / Trouble Shooter Vintage - My Kingdom
8. beatmania IIDX 8th Style - Sakura
9. Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix - AM-3P
10. Batman (NES) - Laboratory Ruins (Stage 4)
11. beatmania IIDX 3rd Style - era (nostalmix)
12. Dance Dance Revolution 7th Mix (MAX 2) - Tsugaru
13. Dance Dance Revolution 6th Mix (MAX) - MAX 300
14. Dance Dance Revolution Party Collection - PARANOiA Respect
15. Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES) - Stage 3
16. Breath of Fire - Fate
17. Battle Mania Daiginjou / Trouble Shooter Vintage - Hachimaki Please
18. beatmania IIDX 7th Style - A
19. Blue Dragon - Eternity (Boss)

- Batman stuff is catchy. Sunsoft has a very distinct sound.
- The Battle Mania stuff is nice, but a little too short to justify ranking them very high.
- Battlefield 1942 doesn't really go anywhere.
- Damn, B&DD has a nice beat.
- I don't really like most of the beatmania videos. I like a lot of the music, but some of the songs just don't sound right in gameplay videos. I recommend poking around on Youtube a little bit to find better quality stuff. Might update some links later.
- Berserk doesn't really do anything for me.
- Spanish Bar rules.
- was going to write off Bionic Commando Rearmed after the main theme, but the other two tracks are great
- Bioshock zzzzzzzzzz...........
- Blast Corps is good, not great.
- Eternity is a strong contender for the worst song in this contest. All 1000 tracks, that is.
- I love the Bonanza Bros medley so. Great stealth action game.
- Electric Power Building takes sooooooo long to reach anything resembling a payoff.

I had a harder time coming up with 20 songs for this set. Too much of it sounds similar. Threw in a vote for Eternity for lulz.

Kirk

Well, that was a pretty weak set, I thought. I picked 9 tracks from this one. No really big surprises. I didn't like any of the DDR / Bemani stuff. Blaster Master was the only one I was fairly familiar with.

btw, having never played any Phoenix Wright games, I totally don't get the love for the Phoenix Wright music. The music in the #1 spot from the first round is pretty generic-sounding to me. I guess it will probably have a lot more to do with what games you have played as opposed to the quality of the music. I know it can be hard to separate (I know I have trouble with that myself).

scarybore

I would have put money on Zero coming first out of that list, so I would say that's a surprise for me. Two Banjo pieces getting in the top 10 with so much Ace Attorney and Baten Kaitos to choose from brings a smile to my face. Lack of After Burner does not!

Eternity is a strong contender for the worst song in this contest. All 1000 tracks, that is.

:lol I hated it the first few times I heard it but it grew on me, then again just about anything with guitars wailing does.

Sixfortyfive

The notable thing about Objection 2001 is that it had fewer first place votes than the 4 songs directly below it. It just made up the difference (and then some) by being on so many more voters' lists.

Kirk

Sixfortyfive said:
The notable thing about Objection 2001 is that it had fewer first place votes than the 4 songs directly below it. It just made up the difference (and then some) by being on so many more voters' lists.

It would be interesting to show some sort of correlation to how many songs a given person voted for. My guess is that particular song placed highly on the lists of people with very few picks on their list.

Eternity is a strong contender for the worst song in this contest. All 1000 tracks, that is.

I certainly didn't pick it, but listening to it while watching that video was very entertaining. :lol

Sixfortyfive

Death_Born said:
Woah, I never expected Objection 2001 to beat out everything. But it deserves it though :lol
Almost all of the other PW songs just sort of clustered together in the middle of the list. Weird.

And I knew I should have replaced Dahlia's theme with something of my own choosing.

Personally, I never really liked Violent Storm. And it beat out Between the Wind and the Earth by ONE POINT! You BASTARDS!!!!!!!

2m3h2iu.gif
2m3h2iu.gif
2m3h2iu.gif
2m3h2iu.gif
2m3h2iu.gif

I saw a classical pianist play "Cohen's Masterpiece" from Bioshock live at GDC...one of the greatest live performances I've ever heard. Truly a great piece of work on par with the best of this generation.

OP Why are there no songs from the original Battletoads?

Sixfortyfive

permutated said:
OP Why are there no songs from the original Battletoads?
Either nobody mentioned it, or it was thrown in the middle of a v-scroll destroying list with no links.

Masked Man

I said wow
JRW said:
I also liked Hailfire Peaks from Tooie:

Banjo-Tooie - Hailfire Peaks (Icy Side)

Banjo-Tooie - Hailfire Peaks (Lava Side)

Couple tracks I like from Donkey Kong 64:

Donkey Kong 64 - Creepy Castle - Sounds a lot like banjo's mad monster mansion theme

Donkey Kong 64 - Frantic Factory

Y'know, I always loved Frantic Factory--kind of a combination of Mad Monster Mansion and Grunty Industries. Creepy Castle's pretty cool. My three other favorites from DK64:

Donkey Kong 64 - Gloomy Galleon
Donkey Kong 64 - Fungi Forest
And, of course...
Donkey Kong 64 - DK Isle

ETA: Oh, new list time! Well, nice to see both B-K songs up there, not to mention PW reppin' two spots. Dunno how ActRaiser made it up there, but whatevz. It must sit better with others, but I thought it was mediocre at best. Wasn't really feeling the Baten Kaitos tracks except for one or two. Interesting results for sure, but I'm not overly disappointed. Rather, I'm quite pleased overall. :D

My pics:

1. Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture
2. Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece
3. Beyond Good & Evil - The Ballad of Hyllis
4. Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home
5. Bioshock - The Ocean on his Shoulders (Bioshock Main Theme)
6. Batman (NES) - Streets of Desolation (Stage 1)
7. Bionic Commando - Stage 1

scarybore

A lot of the nominations didn't interest me but I tried to vote for as many as I could.

1. Blue Dragon - Waterside
2. Bioshock - The Ocean on his Shoulders (Bioshock Main Theme)
3. Battle Mania Daiginjou / Trouble Shooter Vintage - Open Mind
4. Battle Arena Toshinden - Duke
5. Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES) - Stage 3
6. Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home
7. Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building
8. Battle Mania Daiginjou / Trouble Shooter Vintage - Hachimaki Please
9. Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece
10. Beyond Good & Evil - Spanish Bar
11. Berserk ~ Chapter of the Millenium Falcon - Sign
12. Bonanza Bros - Stage 1
13. Blue Dragon - Eternity (Boss)
14. Batman (NES) - Game Over
15. beatmania IIDX 7th Style - A

The beatmania and DDR tracks reminded me of Neds driving their souped up Vauxhall Nova's around with their crappy music at full blast so i found it hard to get excited for any of those nominations.

Even found it hard to get excited for the 2 tracks I nominated, this selection of tracks just isn't my kind of music I guess.

Have to say the detailed results page for the first vote was really well done and interesting. The 24 people who voted for After Burner, I salute you!

PBalfredo

It's no surprise Ace Combat Zero made the top 10, but I'm really shocked none of the other Ace Combat music made it though.

I for one, love Eternity. Cheesy lyrics and all. Great guitar work and so much energy. Just pumps ya up so much for the boss fights, which were the best part of Blue Dragon.

Gilgamesh

This round wasn't very hard to narrow down because of all the Beatmania and Dance Dance.

1. Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home
2. Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture
3. Beyond Good & Evil - The Ballad of Hyllis
4. Bioshock - The Ocean on his Shoulders (Bioshock Main Theme)
5. Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece
6. Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building
7. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Main Theme
8. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Power Plant
9. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Leap of Faith
10. Blue Dragon - Waterside
11. Brave Fencer Musashi - The Musashi Legend
12. Berserk ~ Chapter of the Millenium Falcon - Sign
13. Battle Arena Toshinden - Duke

P.S. Would have posted what I voted for in round one, but I copied something without pasting the list first and I'd already closed the window. :/

Yaweee

Woot, I think all six of the songs I voted for in round one made the finals.

Votes for round two: (In no particular order)

Blast Master Stage 1
Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building (Was Going Out to See the Sky not even nominated? Whatever. This song is the perfect piece for where it occurs in game.)
DDR - Tsugary
Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture (What a fantastic and haunting introduction to the city. Fucking brilliant.)
Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece (Is this an original piece? I'm not sure. Whatever. Fort Frolic was amazing in so many ways.)
Blast Corps - Argent Towers
Brave Fencer Musashi (I just like it)

Now, a bit of a technical question-- how are you going to split up the various SMT games? Are they going to all be under Shin~, or will they be split up by the name of the game (Persona, Digital Devil Saga, etc.)?

PBalfredo

1. Bionic Commando - Stage 1 - A classic.
2. Blue Dragon - Eternity (Boss) - Wicked awesome!
3. Blue Dragon - Waterside - Beautiful and serene
4. Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece - Very moody and haunting piece. A perfect fit for the game.
5. Battle Arena Toshinden - Duke - I heard it first in this thread and instantly took a liking to it.
6. beatmania IIDX 3rd Style - era (nostalmix) - Always has been one of my favorite songs from beatmania/DDR
7. Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home - Good stuff
8. Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building - Atmospheric
9. Blast Corps - Cromlech Court - Catchy. Very Catchy.
10. beatmania IIDX 3rd Style - Absolute
11. beatmania IIDX 7th Style - A
12. Blaster Master - Area 1
13. Batman (NES) - Laboratory Ruins (Stage 4)
14. Batman (GB) - Stage 1
15. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Leap of Faith
16. Battlefield 1942 - Theme

adg1034

Arcanum got fucking robbed. That main theme is one of the most glorious pieces of music I've ever heard. I wish we all were open-minded on the subject of Western RPGs.

Azih

Man, only 3 of my top 10 made it to this top 10. Arcanum :_(, The other Ace combat songs :_(, Baldur's Gate :_(. I have a feeling a lot of my other fave songs in the upcoming sets will also get shafted especially from Katamari and the Tekken series.

I just noticed that only 2 songs from my top 10 were from games that I've actually played o any degree. How does that compare to other people?

JRW

Wait did Phoenix Wright Objection 2001 really get #1 in round 1? I mean ... Really?? I'm at a loss of words here. The music is so plain and bland, Wow......

Masked Man

I said wow
JRW said:
Wait did Phoenix Wright Objection 2001 really get #1 in round 1? I mean ... Really?? I'm at a loss of words here. The music is so plain and bland, Wow......

Wasn't even my favorite PW tune, and I'm a certified PW nut. :lol

That said, it's still iconic, and it's something that MANY fans associate with the franchise, even more so than Cornered. I'm just happy to see the P-Dubs representing at number one and once again at number nine. :D

Sixfortyfive

JRW said:
I think this is one of those instances of a song being favored for what it represents moreso than for its actual composition. It's the embodiment of "turning a hopeless situation around." Really makes you feel like a superhero in the more dramatic parts of the game. I also like a lot of simple chiptunes on their own merits anyway, though.

Judging from early returns on round 2, I can already tell that I'm going to be disappointed with this group's finalists, but whatever. Not the strongest set out of the bunch.

I'm also reconsidering the slideshow bit. I made one for the round 1 drop-outs, but it'll be too much work to get that done for every set, so I'm thinking of just putting that off for the top 200 only.

Top Bottom