• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The 1000-track game music battle of all eternity. (actual voting itt)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Masked Man said:
I like Cornered over Objection (at least in terms of PW1), but that's just me.
Actually, that reminds me. What made me finally pick Gumshoe's theme over Cornered (other than the fact that I don't think the Cornered music is as potent if you aren't familiar with the game and can't associate it to the events that it represents) was that I didn't want both an Objection theme and a Cornered theme to come from the same game. They tend to evoke the same kind of response, I think.

And now I'm watching Phoenix Wright MADs...

EDIT: Holy crap. (spoilers) Yeah, I know, Sum 41. But still. :eek:

----------------------------------------

Reposting from previous page:

You know how when 2ch does this sort of poll, they usually put up the results as a slideshow set to music on Niconico or elsewhere? I'm thinking of doing something like that. If you have any good art to share for any of the games listed (box art, official art, concept art, fan art, whatever) feel free to save me some work and link it. I'll be selecting one picture per song, so try to make it representative if you can.

I've probably got Ace Attorney, Bangai-O, and Alien Soldier covered, but if you have something particularly impressive, feel free to show it.

Sixfortyfive said:

You know how when 2ch does this sort of poll, they usually put up the results as a slideshow set to music on Niconico or elsewhere? I'm thinking of doing something like that. If you have any good art to share for any of the games listed (box art, official art, concept art, fan art, whatever) feel free to save me some work and link it. I'll be selecting one picture per song, so try to make it representative if you can.

I've probably got Ace Attorney, Bangai-O, and Alien Soldier covered, but if you have something particularly impressive, feel free to show it.

Sounds awesome.

You might want to get battle video for the battle themes, (maybe for Ace Combat as well) or if that fails, possibly something from here for Baten Kaitos / Baten Kaitos Origins (that made the cut...right...right!?)

Masked Man

I said wow
Death_Born said:
Sounds awesome.

You might want to get battle video for the battle themes, (maybe for Ace Combat as well) or if that fails, possibly something from here for Baten Kaitos / Baten Kaitos Origins (that made the cut...right...right!?)

I voted for two of them. Granted, one was about 17 and the other was 11, I think, but they were there. BKO had some all right stuff.

The Baten Kaitos tracks, though... =/ Not so much.

Sixfortyfive

I suspect that I'm bad at picking orchestral/ambient stuff as opposed to more melodic tracks and chiptunes. Honestly, on the lesser-known and commented-on RPGs, I'm afraid I was just shooting in the dark when I couldn't narrow things down by # of nominations.

*checks* At least GAF agrees with me that Age of Conan's score is boring as all hell, though.

Soule

Cosmozone said:
Man, listening to all 50 songs and especially ordering them is hard. I spent 2 hours for some reason. But there were some unexpected gems in this set (e.g. Alone in the Dark), nice!
lol that's probably about how long I spent on the list as well, I really wanted to listen to them all especially since I had only heard probably less than half the songs on the list and Alone in the Dark and Ace Combat were probably the best pleasant surprises. Don't know if I'll do this every week though because it was quite time consuming o_O

Sixfortyfive said:
*checks* At least GAF agrees with me that Age of Conan's score is boring as all hell, though.
Probably my least favourite music from the list.

Sixfortyfive said:
awesomeart-1.png
oh you ;D

[Nintex]

Sixfortyfive said:

I'll send you some Advance Wars art soon

Masked Man

I said wow
All of this Banjo love makes me happy. :D

Death_Born said:
Yah, me neither. But The True Mirror should have been in there ;_; and Bellflower ;____;

I encourage you to take a listen to them and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFB8ns-r-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FdfaRX8EM

Thanks for posting those! "Bellflower" was very serene (in a "not totally boring" way, thankfully, lol), and "The True Mirror" was the right mix of lighter and heavier instrumentation in a battle theme. I felt like the other battle themes were by and large too "heavy" overall, as if the listener were being assaulted in order to get him or her interested.

(That's the same way I felt about Alone in the Dark. It's as if the chorus were yelling at me: "YOU BETTER [expletive]ING VOTE FOR THIS PIECE!")

Sixfortyfive said:
I suspect that I'm bad at picking orchestral/ambient stuff as opposed to more melodic tracks and chiptunes. Honestly, on the lesser-known and commented-on RPGs, I'm afraid I was just shooting in the dark when I couldn't narrow things down by # of nominations.

Eh, no big deal. :D

Yeah, the AoC stuff was mediocre. The only one that I even bothered voting for was "Hamlets of Aquilonia" and that's basically because of the English horn.

Very quick question, is the REZ Area 5 listing for the version from the OST or the actual in game BGM?

They're very, very very different songs. People really go with the BGM one usually, for obvious reasons, but it's so hard to obtain!

Sixfortyfive

permutated said:
Very quick question, is the REZ Area 5 listing for the version from the OST or the actual in game BGM?

They're very, very very different songs. People really go with the BGM one usually, for obvious reasons, but it's so hard to obtain!
In-game. The Youtube link used for it isn't complete (stuff had to be cut out for it to get under the 10 min mark) but it's good enough.

Sixfortyfive said:
In-game. The Youtube link used for it isn't complete (stuff had to be cut out for it to get under the 10 min mark) but it's good enough.

That makes me a sad panda...

No wait...I'm sorry.

That makes me a happy panda...

:D

Masked Man

I said wow
Slightly OT (but not really), but I just bought two tickets to the Grand Rapids Symphony's performance of Distant World: Music from Final Fantasy.

...But thats not all. I also bought a meet and greet pass for after the show. And do we know what that means?

I GET TO MEET NOBUO [expletive]ING UEMATSU!

Ohmygosh, ohmygosh. This is seriously one of the most exciting things ever. Uematsu-san's music was probably what really and truly catalyzed my love of music and galvanized my resolve to pursue intense musical studies for the past seven-or-so years. (I can't really focus on it in college, what with academics and stuff, but it's still a big part of me.)

In summation: :D :D :D

Yaweee

Voting is going to be a giant clusterfuck when Final Fantasy rolls into the queue; will it be split across two voting sessions, or will the entire series and spinoffs be at once?

Kirk

I'm impressed, this is going better than I initially would have guessed based on the nomination thread. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I tried to listen to some new tunes, but I didn't have the time to do it full justice. Picked the Actraiser ones, of course, and then some Banjo, Baten Kaitos, Bayou Billy, Axelay, Bangai-O...I think I picked 10 tracks in the end.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
To make it easier for people to listen, I put all the songs in this voting onto a single playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=55D01D4AB67743E0

Voting is going to be a giant clusterfuck when Final Fantasy rolls into the queue; will it be split across two voting sessions, or will the entire series and spinoffs be at once?
Just took a look, all 31 FF songs nominated are in a single voting block. Though they aren't up agenst that stiff of compition, so they will most likely do fairly well.

My picks :

1 - Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War
2 - Baten Kaitos Origins - Le Ali Del Principio
3 - Age of Conan - Field of the Dead
4 - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - Gage's Theme
5 - Alundra - The Village of Inoa
6 - Ace Combat 6 - Liberation of Gracemaria
7 - Baten Kaitos - Supreme Ruler of the 9 Heavens
8 - Baten Kaitos - Violent Storm
9 - Baten Kaitos Origins - Between the Wind and the Earth (map theme)
10 - Bahamut Lagoon - Song of Sadness
11 - Phoenix Wright 2: Justice For All - Search ~ Core 2002
12 - Actraiser - Psalm / Sacrifices
13 - Phoenix Wright 2: Justice For All - The Great Revival ~ Miles Edgeworth
14 - After Burner - After Burner Theme
15 - Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Sami's Theme
16 - Age of Conan - Hamlets of Aquilonia
17 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2001
18 - Axelay - Stage 1
19 - Ace Combat 0 - Zero
20 - Adventures of Bayou Billy - Swamp Theme

Masked Man

I said wow
Stormbringer said:
My picks :

1 - Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War
2 - Baten Kaitos Origins - Le Ali Del Principio
3 - Age of Conan - Field of the Dead
4 - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - Gage's Theme
5 - Alundra - The Village of Inoa
6 - Ace Combat 6 - Liberation of Gracemaria
7 - Baten Kaitos - Supreme Ruler of the 9 Heavens
8 - Baten Kaitos - Violent Storm
9 - Baten Kaitos Origins - Between the Wind and the Earth (map theme)
10 - Bahamut Lagoon - Song of Sadness
11 - Phoenix Wright 2: Justice For All - Search ~ Core 2002
12 - Actraiser - Psalm / Sacrifices
13 - Phoenix Wright 2: Justice For All - The Great Revival ~ Miles Edgeworth
14 - After Burner - After Burner Theme
15 - Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Sami's Theme
16 - Age of Conan - Hamlets of Aquilonia
17 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2001
18 - Axelay - Stage 1
19 - Ace Combat 0 - Zero
20 - Adventures of Bayou Billy - Swamp Theme

BrandNew said:
If no one votes for the Click Tock Woods or whatever from Banjo, they have no soul.

:lol

Jasconius

Voted - this is pretty fun!

I'm really sad that I totally forgot to go back to the nominations thread when I had more time to think about it though... left off some music I really love. :(

There are some great tracks from Pangya and Europa Universalis 3 that no one nominated, and all of the selections from WoW are terrible. :/

Masked Man said:
:lol I thought that Gruntilda's theme was cool. Brought back some memories too. Still, such a large selection to choose from, so few picks...Maybe if there was a 21st place...I would still have a soul :x .

JRW

Masked Man said:
Then just vote for the ones that you do like. The more, the merrier. :D

Yea I decided to do just that, To many great songs on this list to not take part in it, Im almost done listening and jotting down the songs I like from this first batch ..ill have my results today.

JRW

Kosma said:
More people should vote me thinks.

We dont really know how many people have voted? There's a link in the first post of this thread for the actual voting process.

Sixfortyfive

JRW said:
We dont really know how many people have voted? There's a link in the first post of this thread for the actual voting process.
130+ so far.

I'll be content if turnout stays at this level throughout the rest of the thread.

My top votes:

Ace Combat 0 - Zero
Banjo-Kazooie - Click Clock Wood (Spring)
Bahamut Lagoon - Song of Sadness
Ace Combat 6 - Liberation of Gracemaria
Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War
Ace Combat 4 - Agnus Dei
Adventures of Bayou Billy - Swamp Theme
Baten Kaitos Origins - Le Ali Del Principio
.hack//G.U. - Hulle Granz Cathedral
Age of Conan - Field of the Dead
Baten Kaitos Origins - Between the Wind and the Earth (map theme)
.hack//G.U. - Lost Resolution
Arcanum - Main Theme
Baten Kaitos - Violent Storm
Age of Conan - Hamlets of Aquilonia
Banjo-Kazooie - Gruntilda's Lair

Let me just say that this process has already opened my eyes to some BEAUTIFUL music that I didn't even know existed. Sometimes when we write off a game from likes/dislikes or what we've heard about it, we forget about things like the soundtrack that stands out as a separate entity all together.

JRW

Here's the list I submitted..

It was interesting my #1 pick is from a game Ive never played but its the only song I listened to repeatedly throughout the day, so I automatically put it at #1.

I listened to all 50 songs and I must say it wasn't easy getting them all sorted in order of rank. I changed the order several times before being happy with it.

1. Age of Conan - Crimmerian Welcome
2. Baten Kaitos Origins - Between the Wind and the Earth (map theme)
3. Baldur's Gate 2 - Romance II
4. Baten Kaitos Origins - Le Ali Del Principio
5. Bahamut Lagoon - Song of Sadness
6. Banjo-Kazooie - Gruntilda's Lair
7. Banjo-Kazooie - Click Clock Wood (Spring)
8. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - Gage's Theme
9. Baldur's Gate 2 - Main Theme
10. Age of Conan - Hamlets of Aquilonia
11. Phoenix Wright 3: Trials & Tribulations - Dahlia Hawthorne ~ Distant Traces of Beauty
12. Ace Combat 4 - Agnus Dei
13. Actraiser - Psalm / Sacrifices
14. Actraiser - Filmore (Stage 1)
15 Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Announce the Truth 2007
16. Actrasier - Birth of the People
17. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Klavier Gavin ~ LOVE LOVE GUILTY
18 Axelay - Stage 1
19 Bangai-O (DC) - Overthrow the Strongest Adversary! (Final Boss)
20. Baten Kaitos - Supreme Ruler of the 9 Heavens

It's a shame some of the better songs from Banjo and Actraiser didnt make the master list, such as Actraiser - Northwall

Masked Man

I said wow
JRW said:
It's a shame some of the better songs from Banjo and Actraiser didnt make the master list, such as Actraiser - Northwall

Which Banjo songs come to mind? I'm curious.

permutated said:
I agree.

On the flip side, the Ace Combat tracks blew me out of my chair.

Zero was the one that really shocked me. Grandemecia or whatever wasn't bad. The other two were just okay. Zero, though... <333

So wait, 50 songs uploaded on Monday, then tallied on Friday when another 50 are put up? This is done for 10 weeks? So essentially we have 4 days for the middle week voting, and 3 days for the weekend voting?

Or am I screwed up?

Sixfortyfive

permutated said:
So wait, 50 songs uploaded on Monday, then tallied on Friday when another 50 are put up? This is done for 10 weeks? So essentially we have 4 days for the middle week voting, and 3 days for the weekend voting?

Or am I screwed up?
That is correct, sir.

---------------------------

Also, here's the sort of thing I'm going for with the slideshow bit:

PW1 Turnabout Sisters
PW2 Great Revival
PW3 Dark Coffee

I already had a bunch of PW art on hand, so those were quick and easy to do. Like I said, I'm not going to put a lot of work into searching for other stuff, so link me to anything you want me to use.

zoku88

Masked Man said:
Which Banjo songs come to mind? I'm curious.

Zero was the one that really shocked me. Grandemecia or whatever wasn't bad. The other two were just okay. Zero, though... <333
Isn't Zero just a remix of AC5's Unsung War? They sound kinda familiar

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:
Also, here's the sort of thing I'm going for with the slideshow bit:

PW1 Turnabout Sisters
PW2 Great Revival
PW3 Dark Coffee

I already had a bunch of PW art on hand, so those were quick and easy to do. Like I said, I'm not going to put a lot of work into searching for other stuff, so link me to anything you want me to use.

<333 Awesome! I'll look into it.

zoku88 said:
Isn't Zero just a remix of AC5's Unsung War? They sound kinda familiar

Huh. I'll give them both a relisten and let you know.

Sixfortyfive

Death_Born said:
Amazing!

Just one question...what do those stats mean?
IT'S A MYSTERY!

(It'll be explained on the results page.)

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. I think I'll keep that stuff to the results page only. Too much of a hassle to fill out otherwise.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sixfortyfive said:
Actually, that reminds me. What made me finally pick Gumshoe's theme over Cornered (other than the fact that I don't think the Cornered music is as potent if you aren't familiar with the game and can't associate it to the events that it represents) was that I didn't want both an Objection theme and a Cornered theme to come from the same game. They tend to evoke the same kind of response, I think.

Awwwww. Well if that's the case you could have gone with the T&T version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDMNNF4PT0

Cosmozone

Ugh, just saw that large chunks of my stuff didn't make it to the list including even the better known Wario Ware Ashley song. And of course I've still forgotten stuff, like the kick-ass tune from Layton 2 :/ Only 1000? Outrageous. :)

Anyway I'm pretty sure Ace Combat Zero will win this set. It seems to be the most common denominator. And I want to play the games now. :)

Top Bottom