• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murasaki Baby |OT| Purple is the strangest colour

kuppy

This was a love at first sight game for me, anyway, fantastic OP.
Very happy it is getting some great reviews, now let's hope it'll sell.

BxqzZFuIYAAQb3S.jpg

Will I enjoy this if I didn't have any problem with the "gimmicky" parts of Metrico?

Does the game have puzzles or is it more like small bumps on the road?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really digging the music and artstyle but it seems like a very short game. :/

aro52

Any impressions on this yet? What's the gameplay like?

If it's good stuff, I wanna grab it with the PS+ discount.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game is excellent, but these controls are killing me.

How are you guys playing this? The two-finger actions are extremely unwieldy for me. A almost want to put my Vita on a stand and use both hands for them. But then I need to also touch the back screen.

After 30 mins my hand is seriously cramped.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
The game is excellent, but these controls are killing me.

How are you guys playing this? The two-finger actions are extremely unwieldy for me. A almost want to put my Vita on a stand and use both hands for them. But then I need to also touch the back screen.

After 30 mins my hand is seriously cramped.
I would say it's a good idea to take breaks. I finished the whole game in one go, but it would probably be wiser to play it in pieces.

Also, fantastic game. Original in every possible way.

daydream

Banned
Today's the day for Europe. And it's already up on the German store from what I can tell.

PS+ discount brings it down to 7,99€! If anyone could let me know the UK PS+ price, I'll add it to the OP as well.

Today's the day for Europe. And it's already up on the German store from what I can tell.

PS+ discount brings it down to 7,99€! If anyone could let me know the UK PS+ price, I'll add it to the OP as well.

£7.99 is the standard price, PS+ discount brings it down to £6.39.

I'd jump on this if it was on PS4 but I understand because of the Vita's back panel controls. Really liked it on a gaming convention, so hope everyone else a good time.

daydream

Banned
Alright, beat the first two chapters. The game is definitely amazing in the art and sound department. Honestly, it's worth a purchase for those aspects alone, imo.

Mechanically, it's not completely sound but I'm very much inclined to forgive it for some minor shortcomings. It definitely has a few interesting ideas up its sleeve, though, don't get me wrong.

(I also just started getting the "can't save" message which *is* a bit a annoying. No idea what cased it but that needs to get ironed out.)

halfbeast

Banned
always a bit concerned when it comes to touch controls. I'm a lefty, will it feel extra uncomfortable using my left hand for all commands?

Mirimar

always a bit concerned when it comes to touch controls. I'm a lefty, will it feel extra uncomfortable using my left hand for all commands?

I'm lefty as well and haven't had too many issues. You typically pull Baby to the right, so ideally, you use your right hand to pull and left hand to control the balloon when needed. The pull mechanic is a little iffy at times, but other than that, no real issues.

I really like how she reacts differently to some backgrounds. Like the one that's static, like a void, she gets all tense and it's difficult to move her. The small details in the game make all the difference to me. I have to go back through and get all the different reactions to things like
ringing all the doorbells on each floor

daydream

Banned
Just finished it. The game was an artistic delight till the very end, and I quite enjoyed the Yamaoka song at the end, haha (the credits were surprisingly long!).

It's a shame this game is gonna fly under the radar big time. It's really worth experiencing. I think the gameplay only got better over time so whatever I said about the mechanics/level design pertains mostly to the second chapter, and even there it wasn't bad in the slightest (also, the saving error disappeared during the third chapter). The combination of front and back touch really makes for a unique experience, and there's just tons of charming details to marvel at. Yes, charming! And sometimes unsettlingly so!

Murasaki Baby is definitely gonna stick with me. I think the side stories that are woven into your main quest to find mommy are wonderfully executed. I have to reflect a bit more on how they actually tie into Baby's fate, if at all. Narratively speaking, the only thing that irked me was the way the ending was handled. It could have used more subtlety. The same goes for the trophy descriptions. Just let the game's imagery speak for itself, leave in some ambiguities. Despite my gripes, I actually do feel there's something left in the dark, though, something to be discovered. I hope people will deem it worth a discussion.

I mentioned Yamaoka already but I need to emphasise again how much the sound design adds to the experience. They really outdid themselves here, it makes for an incredibly dense and, at the same time, fragile atmosphere and the way it dynamically changes with whatever "mood" you swipe in via back touch really goes a long way.

I don't think you can put a price on games but I know a lot of people (rightfully) care about that so I'm gonna go ahead and stress how affordable this game is, especially for Plus members.

People who are looking for a unique, beautiful experience definitely need to consider picking this up. It's really a great debut and I look forward to whatever Ovosonico comes up with next.

Moobabe

I'd jump on this if it was on PS4 but I understand because of the Vita's back panel controls. Really liked it on a gaming convention, so hope everyone else a good time.

If I have to read one more "I WISH I HAD A VITA!" post from you I'll cry! Just get one man!!!!!!!!!!!!

aro52

Put about 20 minutes into this over lunch break.

First impression? Fantastic art style and charm, but the hand dance of actually playing it is a BIT cumbersome. The 'pull forward' failing 1/3 of the time doesn't help either. That said, I'll keep picking away at it, and sure I'll get in a groove with it.

Goldrusher

Aargh, I got the "save error" at every checkpoint, then near the end, boom, the game crashed. And of course, it never saved during those errors, so now I have to play half the game again. :(
edit: Looks like it did save at the beginning of the level. Pfew.

edit2: Game finished. A weird, but very original game. The price is a bit steep for what it is though.

hmm horror genre... is it like scary or is the atmosphere more like LIMBO?

Playing it has reminded me of Limbo actually, although while that game is like a dark nightmare based somewhat in reality, this game is just batshit crazy and the art style is completely off the wall.

But in a good way. It looks and feels totally unique.

SerTapTap

If you're using a grip, might want to take it off for this game. Lots of stuff seems to require multiple fingers, worst case I've had to hold Baby's hand with my left thumb holding the Vita and two right hand fingers to hold balloon and tap the stupid ssafety pins. Usually I can just use index and pointer from my right hand to guide her and the balloon or tap pins.

It's definitely a very intimate? game, I actually rather like how they use touch.

Mirimar

Finished the game as well and felt that one part of the game could have used tweaking. The part where you actually use the sticks for control really interrupted the pace of the game for me. It's the fact that if you fail, you start at the very beginning and see a cut scene play each time. I liked the concept, but after a few tries, I really just wanted to be done with it and go back to the touch controls.

Finished the game. Loved the artstyle, the music and atmosphere. The puzzles were too easy though, and sometimes the controls were uncomfortable. It was really short, and there isn't really any replay value, but for the price it was definitely worth it.

le-seb

^ Approximately my thoughts.

Also wanted to compare the experience as a cinema show, because it's about the same price as a cinema ticket (here in France, at least), lasts about the same (took me around 3h to complete), and gave me some very good time and feelings.

I'm probably not going to replay this for a while, but the art direction is so good in this game that I know I'll be back!

Edit: and for the record, also had the save error occurring for a good while in the game.

ryanofcall

This was even better than I thought it would be!
"World 4" gameplay mechanics are crazy-awesome :D
Can't wait to see more from Ovosonico!

daydream

Banned
This was even better than I thought it would be!
"World 4" gameplay mechanics are crazy-awesome :D
Can't wait to see more from Ovosonico!

Yeah, world 4 was amazing. Really elevated the game for me in a sense as it ended on quite a high note that way.

Purple theme. Nice.

You just made me notice that I called it a "pink" balloon in the thread title when it is totally purple. >_>

At least the rhythm is better with one syllable.

Gray Matter

Controlling this game is a pain in the ass, but it was a nice fun little game. 7/10 from me.

not that it matters.

Top Bottom