• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murasaki Baby |OT| Purple is the strangest colour

I thought of doing it but "dreams of purple balloons" doesn't roll off the tongue that well. If you got a title suggestion involving the right colour, feel free to PM me. :p

I haven't got any suggestions, it's just that murasaki means purple, so the title is a bit weird :p

reminder

I can't believe i missed the launch as well! Well, it was a very stressful week at work, so i didn't check the store update on wednesday.... Will buy this game asap!

v1perz53

Ahh I forgot to post my impressions after finishing this a few days ago. Wanted to post before the PS+ discount went away! My girlfriend isn't a big gamer, but she is a big fan of creepy Tim Burtonesque type aesthetics and worlds, and she thoroughly enjoyed sitting next to me in bed as I played through this at night. I also absolutely loved the aesthetic, the game oozes charm and atmosphere. From the first time the little girl drops the balloon and starts crying, you want to get it back to her as soon as possible, because you really feel bad.

The game does a fantastic job of conveying her happiness when she makes a jump, or her fear of the dark and it really drew me in, I couldn't put it down. I never felt confused by the controls despite having no text tutorials at all, and I didn't have any problems with the hand holding, despite some reviewers complaining about that? I found that it worked perfectly if you touched a little in front of her, instead of right on her. I usually find touch heavy games uncomfortable because holding my system in one hand is non optimal, but I was so engrossed in the story and world of this game that I didn't mind. Puzzles are fun but never too terribly challenging, and the game length was ideal for this type of game in my opinion, though I guess I can see people on more limited budgets shying away from such a short game for $15. But I personally thought the $12 PS+ early price was perfect for what I got out of it.

I only really had two complaints. One, using the touch screen so much as was required could end up covering up a lot of the screen, as is common in any touch heavy games. This both meant it was hard to play occasionally as I couldn't see things because of my hand, but more importantly I lost some of the atmosphere of the world because I was physically covering it. Only other complaint was there is no indication when the game is saving, so if you don't want to play in one sitting it can be unclear when to put it down. Not a big deal with Vita's suspend/resume, but I wanted to continue playing with my girlfriend at night and play a different game in the meantime, so I lost a bit of progress because I wasn't sure when the last save was. I think it has to do with going through doors though.

Overall, this was a fantastic game with amazing atmosphere and sound, and I really felt drawn in to the "story" and attached to the little girl I was leading around. In addition, my girlfriend fully enjoyed just sitting there and watching me play. I recommend it to anyone looking for something simple with a creepy kind of atmosphere, I was very happy about picking this up.

daydream

Banned
Great impressions, v1iper!

Funny enough, if the save bug is good for one thing, it's the fact that you know when exactly the game attempted to save, haha. Now they just need to make that bug a real feature!

Moobabe

The gyro part was arguable my favourite chapter of the game. Like le-seb said, it's really only a 180° thing so there's no subtlety involved.

It's not, since you just have to turn the console upside down to make the ceiling becoming the floor.
Pretty cool, if you ask me (even if a little bit disturbing).

Ah ok, that's cool. The gyro implementation in stuff like Metrico was awful, glad to hear it's well thought out here.

v1perz53

Ah ok, that's cool. The gyro implementation in stuff like Metrico was awful, glad to hear it's well thought out here.

Yea it definitely isn't Metrico. Also, using gyro is a lot more forgivable in a game that doesn't use the buttons, since flipping your console doesn't make it any harder to use front or rear touch screens, but it confuses the hell out of me when trying to hit specific buttons.

Shin-Ra

The music's just as good as the visual style in this. Just beat the game, a bit fiddly in places, mostly because the arm pulling isn't always responsive and if you pull too far baby can trip up. Nothing roadblocked me for long though, there's frequent checkpoints.

If Ovosonico added another mode with a dozen or so little skill challenges that aren't easily beatable on the first attempt, it'd feel a lot more valuable and have more challenging trophies.

SerTapTap

I can't operate this dumb umbrella. Is this one of the worse 2-touch things I hope? I normally don't have a problem but I have to hold both fingers so close...

wouwie

I'm not big fan of touch controls in general and this game isn't going to convince me otherwise, but i enjoyed it and thought it was an interesting game worth checking out. I'm glad i didn't give up on it at the very beginning when i struggled with the controls.

The visual style and atmosphere is great. The character animations are very nice and add a lot of personality and emotion to the characters. The sound effects are nice too and the soundtrack was really good (i'd love to hear the soundtrack again and hope it will be available somewhere to check out and buy). The puzzles are very easy and the only difficulty comes from doing the various touch controls. In that sense, the game is more an experience than a "hardcore" game but i didn't mind at all since the experience was nice and interesting. Some of the gameplay ideas were quite original (e.g. background shifting).

All in all, i think Ovosonico did a great job with this game. They seem to be a talented and interesting development team and i will surely follow any new game they make.

I fell in a hole early on and couldn't get out, after getting the third 'power'. Is this a bug? I couldn't figure out how to get out and tried everything..

Just finished the chapter with the rabbits which, going by the trophies I've unlocked so far and those hidden, I assume is the second chapter of five, or maybe four? It's a really cool game, mostly due to the art style. The controls are a little fiddly, but workable, and I adore the twisted dream symbolism and scenarios. Man, it's so fucking weird, but so good. The more I play, the more it reminds me of a Neil Gaiman work like Sandman, Mirrormask or Coraline. I'd definitely recommend fans of this game check those out; the former a graphic novel series and the latter two films.

Knuf

DAT artstyle.
DAT ending song.

A great little game with some annoying bugs and many nice and fresh ideas: finished last night and enjoyed every single minute of it!

Fuck these safety pin flies. Fuck them, they're not fun at all, ruin the pacing and piss me off so much. Currently I have to pump up the balloon, switch upside down, electrify the rail car and avoid or kill the safety pins.

Edit - although killing them is almost pointless because new ones appear after about three fucking seconds. I was really enjoying it up until this point.

Okay, well I was right at the end when I wrote the previous post. Finished it now, a really nice little game with some great ideas and neat puzzles, but I didn't always feel as in control as I would have liked. In fact, my favourite section might have been the
tentacle pram
, because it's the only place in the game I was genuinely in full control, rather than having to use the front or rear touch screens.

Great ending song too. I give this wonderful little oddity two tentacle masks out of purple.

I completed it today, and found it to be largely disappointing, having been excited for the game ever since it debuted at Gamescom. I echo the sentiments of many others, it looks and sounds fabulous, and the presentation is second to none. But its dependant use of touch controls and various gimmicks ultimately tarnished the experience for me. It's far too fiddly and awkward to control, especially when it came to the last few puzzles where time limits and multi-tasking were involved. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's probably one of the most uncomfortable games I've had the displeasure of playing. Maybe it really is time to invest in a grip for my Vita or something. The ending was really unsatisfactory as well; there was precious little pay-off to be had, as if the devs had no idea how to tie up what they started, or just ran out of time and resources.

So yeah, amazing atmosphere, some interesting puzzles, rubbish everything else.

Shin-Ra

Hey Ho!

New Dev Diary on the music with Akira Yamaoka! :)
blergh.gif

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Just downloaded this through PS+. How for you save in this game? Or does it have autosave?

0OoO0

Bumping up this thread to say I f-ing hate this game. The control sucks and it's one of the most frustrating vita games I've ever played.

Top Bottom